Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Guild War 2 Might Cost you more than you think

Comments

• fiontarfiontar Member UncommonPosts: 3,682

Originally posted by Xasapis

Originally posted by heartless

Well, in TSW defence, three slots cover all three factions, so in theory you won't need another, while 5 slots don't cover all classes in GW2.

Realistically speaking, how many people going to level 8 classes to 80? Personally, I may level 1 or 2... but 8? That's an crazy. Maybe, if I decide to play GW2 for the next 5 years.

Level them to max perhaps not, however you're not given the space to even try them besides make them and delete them.

Also about the guy mentioning bag space as industry standard, I will have to disagree. There is no industry standard in bag space, your game and its needs dictate the bag space you need (along with the gameplay, although players can work around some limitations, for example by using mule characters. Looks like the mule characters will need to make dummy guilds to gain more space per account in GW2).

Personally I'd be more inclined to buy a digital collectors edition that offered full bag and character slots than what is now offered. What is now offered only worth the standard edition for me personally.

Almost every MMO I've ever played has offered a back pack and four bag slots. It must be over 90% of MMORPGs that follow that formula, so yes, it's pretty much an "industry standard". If GW2 offered a backpack and only one or two bar slots, I'd be complaining too, but that's not the case. What they include for free is "standard".

I also go into a lot of detail about additional tools available in GW2 that lessen bag space issues. How many games let anyone break down gear in the field, instantly mail crafting components to their own slots in your vault, make vendors this accessible and allow you to put items on the Marketplace (AH) while you are out in the world adventuring?

Want to know more about GW2 and why there is so much buzz? Start here: Guild Wars 2 Mass Info for the Uninitiated

• I stopped reading after he posted about server costs.  Back in the 90s you may have needed to recieve money for servers, but not in this day and age.  Misinformed and biased, his post is pretty much a thinly disguised jab (as if we needed one more out of the hundreds) at the CS.
  • xmentyxmenty Member UncommonPosts: 718
    I did craft a few bag with 8 slots at level 12.

Pardon my English as it is not my 1st language :)

• AIMonsterAIMonster Member UncommonPosts: 2,059

As much as I hate some of the items on the GW2 cash shop (and the overall cash shop itself) I actually think GW2 will still wind up costing less than a subscription based MMO in the long run.  Let's assume the price of 400 gems = $5 stays in it's current iteration (this was the amount from the leak a while back).  I'll ignore most of the items in the cash shop that I feel are silly wastes of money to buy here for minor advantages especially considering their cost and only focus on items players will possibly want to buy over time.

For a somewhat conservative cosmetic oriented player:

Fine Transmutation Stones X10 = 300 Gems -  I'm assuming players are going to want to go for a specific look.  10 will let you setup a set of armor as well two-four sets of weapons you might want for a specific look.  If you are conservative you will not have to buy these often so we'll say you do this about once every 3 months.

Dye Packs X3 = 150 Gems - Let's assume once again you want to gamble on a few extra dyes once every 3 months or so.

Extra Bag Slots X2 = 800 Gems - One time purchase.  Aren't these account wide unlocks?  Even so with 20 slot bags I don't see these as necessary except on one character.  You do not have to buy them with multiple characters.

Extra Bank Slots X2 = 1200 Gems - One time purchase.  Account wide.

Extra Character Slots X3 = 2400 Gems - Again one time purchase.  This number isn't known, but I assumed the worst here so I went with 800 Gems or $10 per character slot.  I can't imagine them charging more than for one.  It's even likely character slots will be LESS money.

In a year's worth of play you spent a total of $80 on gems, with 200 gems left over.  Compare that to a subscription at $15 a month, or even $10 a month.  If you wanted to you could spend extra on cosmetics like more dye packs, transmutation stones, town outfits, and minis and bring it to a normal subscription fee price.

Now here is the beauty of it.  You already have the permenants unlocked!  Next year, you'll find yourself spending a mere $25 on gems (with 200 left over).

TL;DR: There are lots of problems with the cash shop right now, but costs are not something worthy of complaint in my opinion.  It's clear you'll still wind up saving a lot of money on the cash shop assuming you don't splurge on things that offer short term advantages like mystic keys.

• AsavarKulAsavarKul Member Posts: 7

Originally posted by fiontar

These are all still completely optional purchases.

1. Character slots.

Some people play alts, some don't. Some people play tons of alts, some people will be fine with five slots. The slots are optional and the purchase is permanent. Completely optional, don't know how to make it more clear.

A note needs to be made, however, as to what one character slot gets you in this game. Leveling to the cap is expected to take about 110 hours of actual adventuring. However, the game does not stop at the level cap. I have seen dev estimates of 300+ hours of PVE content for a single character. This is partially possible because of the system of scaling you down in level for lower level content, while still giving you rewards based on your true level. As you level in this game, the amount of viable, fun, rewarding content increases exponentially. You never outlevel content.

This is in sharp contrast to games where it takes maybe 40 hours to reach the level cap and then all you have to do is PvP and raids.

You can get a lot more original game play from one character slot in GW2 than in any other MMO I'm aware of.

2. Bag slots.

How many bag slots do you get for free in GW2? A back pack and four bag slots.

How many bag slots do you get for free in almost every other AAA MMORPG out there? A back pack and four bag slots.

You get, for free, the industry standard amount of bag slots. Optional slots are just that, optional. It's nice that you ate least have the option if you want it!

Many people in the WBE didn't get some of the important ways the game allows you to make the most of your bag space.

• Easy, cheap teleportation to way points always puts a vendor with in easy reach and return to your previous location easy as well. Plus, most Heart locations and other settlements have vendors right in proximity to where you will be hunting.

• Everyone should carry the best salvage kits that are economical for them to purchase. Unwanted gear you don't want to offer on the marketplace, plus other salvageable drops, should be salvaged in the field, which will break them down into stackable basic crafting components to save pace.

• Those stacks of crafting mats you salvaged? Guess what? If you right click these, one option is to mail them to your bank, which has dedicated slots for each crafting item type. You don't even have to go back to your bank to store them!

• Another often missed feature. You can sell and buy items from the Marketplace from an icon in your user interface! Got some gear drops actually worth selling to other players? You can list them right in the field! The only thing you have to go to an actual Marketplace trading post for is to pick up your profits, or any items you've purchased!

You see? Extra bag slots are even more an optional convenience in GW2 than in a typical MMORPG!

3. Bank Slots.

The 30 included is about standard for an MMO.

Yes, it's space shared by your entire account, so it may get a little crowded. Bank slots may be something many people want to purchase, but it still remains optional.

Some factors that eleviate cramped account storage space?

• Being shared accoint storage, muling to other characters with excess bag space is cheap, easy and secure.

• As mentioned above, you have seperate bank space for all the various types of crafting materials, basic and rare, plus you even have slots for your collectible miniatures! None of these have to take up your normal vault space!

• It's easy to make a guild and you can belong to more than one guild. If you really want some more free vault space, when ever you aren't representing some other guild, represent your own vanity guild. It may take a while, but you can unlock a guild vault and have some addes storage space!

• All the info above on easy waypoints and access to the marketplace have a bearing on vault space. It's very easy to sell saleable items from any where in the world or to get to a vendor.

• The maketplace is global, not server wide, so any saleable item you get but don't want to store "for later" can just be sold, with a good chance that you will be able to just buy the same item, if you do end up needing it, in the future for about the same price. There just won't be as many things that you "absolutely have to hold onto in case you want/need them in the future", so those vault spaces can go a long way.

With so many tools that make the need for normal vault slot storage minimal, those 30 basic slots should go a lot further than they do in other games.

Remember, as well, that you can always save up gold to trade for gems on the market exchange and buy any of these things with out the need to spend cash! If you are lucky, another MMORPG gives you the option to buy extra slots for gold or cash. GW2 gives the option of buying them either way!

These are all truly optional, while also providing great value for those who do feel the need/desire to upgrade. It's really a win/win and an issue that just doesn't hold up under the weight of fact andreason.

Don't need to say more.

Well, in TSW defence, three slots cover all three factions, so in theory you won't need another, while 5 slots don't cover all classes in GW2.

I might as well say GW2 covers all five races, so no one will ever need another character slot? People usually don't have alts just for the sake of having a character of every class. They have alts to enjoy the game again from the beginning with a character different than the ones they have played before.

Five is better than three, no matter how you slice it. Also, in GW2, you never outlevel content, so many people may find they spend a lot more time playing a character after they've reached the level cap than they did getting to the level cap and that's with out resorting to end game raid treadmills to provide almost all the available content for your max level character.

I'm not aware of any other MMOs with this design.

GW2 is not about a race to end game, after which you either raid, PVP or retire your character. The entire game is end game and all that happens when you hit the level cap is you stop leveling. You don't transition into a new game mode and you can even still progress your character by continuing to hunt down skill point challenges and unlocking your skills, if progression is more important than content.

Want to know more about GW2 and why there is so much buzz? Start here: Guild Wars 2 Mass Info for the Uninitiated

• rungardrungard Member Posts: 1,035

Seems fair to me. its not like they are public servants. Even they dont work for free.

At least they give you the choice. You dont need any of those things to play.

• XasapisXasapis Member RarePosts: 6,337

Almost every MMO I've ever played has offered a back pack and four bag slots. It must be over 90% of MMORPGs that follow that formula, so yes, it's pretty much an "industry standard". If GW2 offered a backpack and only one or two bar slots, I'd be complaining too, but that's not the case. What they include for free is "standard".

I also go into a lot of detail about additional tools available in GW2 that lessen bag space issues. How many games let anyone break down gear in the field, instantly mail crafting components to their own slots in your vault, make vendors this accessible and allow you to put items on the Marketplace (AH) while you are out in the world adventuring?

Well, a backpack and four bag slots mean little if you don't know how many slots you get per bag. Taken from what is now considered an industry standard *sigh* (WoW), the game started with a set amount of bag space that was increased with each expansion. And even that was not enough and people needed at least one mule (or some very dedicated crafters 2 or 3). So the real question is whether the bag space is constant or you can find bigger bags as you progress.

Also the teleport and mail system may help with the bag issue, but I wonder how easy it is to teleport back and forth from the field to the nearest banker.

In any case, the bags and bank slots are sold because the developers feel they are needed. I know I purchased the pouch slots in my VIP LOTRO account and haven't regretted it. They may even become absolutely necessary depending on how many sets of gear we'll need to carry around, how many potions or other utility items etc.

Personally my purchase order would be utility (such as the bag and bank slots) and vanity items (when I'm bored with how my character looks. I'm not interested in exp boosts or gold purchases, so these hold no value.

It's one thing to be reasonable about the cash shop btw, and another to blindly defend it. Right now they are gouging how much they can milk the community with the shop and from the reactions it seems that they can get away with a lot. I wouldn't be surprised if this zealotry resulted in unreasonable cash shop prices.

• XasapisXasapis Member RarePosts: 6,337

I might as well say GW2 covers all five races, so no one will ever need another character slot? People usually don't have alts just for the sake of having a character of every class. They have alts to enjoy the game again from the beginning with a character different than the ones they have played before.

Five is better than three, no matter how you slice it. Also, in GW2, you never outlevel content, so many people may find they spend a lot more time playing a character after they've reached the level cap than they did getting to the level cap and that's with out resorting to end game raid treadmills to provide almost all the available content for your max level character.

I'm not aware of any other MMOs with this design.

GW2 is not about a race to end game, after which you either raid, PVP or retire your character. The entire game is end game and all that happens when you hit the level cap is you stop leveling. You don't transition into a new game mode and you can even still progress your character by continuing to hunt down skill point challenges and unlocking your skills, if progression is more important than content.

It seems you know little about TSW, thus your comment. Every character in TSW can learn all 500 or so skills, so there is no need for alts. The only difference is the three factions.

The hook in TSW to lure you to buy new character slots is that the three limit is account wise, so if you need to check new servers, you'll need to delete old characters (or buy slots) or pay to move the existing ones.

• xmentyxmenty Member UncommonPosts: 718

Well, a backpack and four bag slots mean little if you don't know how many slots you get per bag. Taken from what is now considered an industry standard *sigh* (WoW), the game started with a set amount of bag space that was increased with each expansion. And even that was not enough and people needed at least one mule (or some very dedicated crafters 2 or 3). So the real question is whether the bag space is constant or you can find bigger bags as you progress.

Also the teleport and mail system may help with the bag issue, but I wonder how easy it is to teleport back and forth from the field to the nearest banker.

In any case, the bags and bank slots are sold because the developers feel they are needed. I know I purchased the pouch slots in my VIP LOTRO account and haven't regretted it. They may even become absolutely necessary depending on how many sets of gear we'll need to carry around, how many potions or other utility items etc.

Personally my purchase order would be utility (such as the bag and bank slots) and vanity items (when I'm bored with how my character looks. I'm not interested in exp boosts or gold purchases, so these hold no value.

It's one thing to be reasonable about the cash shop btw, and another to blindly defend it. Right now they are gouging how much they can milk the community with the shop and from the reactions it seems that they can get away with a lot. I wouldn't be surprised if this zealotry resulted in unreasonable cash shop prices.

Dude don't be so drama mama and stop assuming again.

You can craft your own bag.

I did craft a few bag of 8 slots at level 12.

Pardon my English as it is not my 1st language :)

You can find bigger bags as you progress.  The max crafted bag at the moment appears to be 20 slots, though you obviously won't have this at first till you get enough money (or crafting skill + mats) to buy one which likely won't happen till higher levels.  4 slot bags can be purchased from the vendor early on.  Crafting skill (Tailor, Leatherworker, and Armorsmith) can make 8 slot bags fairly early in crafting also.  I've also had two 5 slot bags drop in beta off a specific dynamic event.

• DodgefighterDodgefighter Member Posts: 8

"A year’s subscription to WoW is $156 if purchased in six-month blocks, making it ironically cheaper to play a year of WoW than a year of GW2."

You forget server changes, name changes etc. You spend a lot more then you think on wow. Free to play doesn’t exist. But I’ll take the buy to play over a monthly fee. I doubt I will make more than 3 role-playing characters and 2 pvp characters which I will continuously delete and recreate like I did in guild wars 1.

All war is deception - Sun Tzu

• IPolygonIPolygon Member UncommonPosts: 707
    Sounds fair to me. Who needs a bazllion slots (any) anyway? Just get rid of the stuff you don't actually need and you will do just fine without ever buying something. Those who don't get enough, won't ever get enough.
  • The_KorriganThe_Korrigan Member RarePosts: 3,459

FACT is, you won't need all bag slots and all character slot on day one. During the beta week end, I never felt short of bag space, and you also can store all your crafting materials in the bank without using a single bank slot. Also, I had 5 8 slot bags from armorcrafting the first day of the week end. Bag space doesn't seem to be a problem in GW2, with the fast traveling and easy access to towns.

As long as you need less than $15 worth of gems per month, GW2 remains cheaper than any "pay to play" MMORPG, and for $15 you can buy a lot of that utility stuff.

Oh, and the OP's posting history is very interesting... it's sad when people are on a crusade to convince people not to play a game they won't play themself. Seriously, man, get a grip, take a deep breath and move along.

Respect, walk, what did you say?
    Respect, walk
    Are you talkin' to me? Are you talkin' to me?
    - PANTERA at HELLFEST 2023
    Yes, they are back !

• Atlan99Atlan99 Member UncommonPosts: 1,332

Originally posted by The_Korrigan

Oh, and the OP's posting history is very interesting... it's sad when people are on a crusade to convince people not to play a game they won't play themself. Seriously, man, get a grip, take a deep breath and move along.

That is an interesting assumption and selective view of my posting history.

• The_KorriganThe_Korrigan Member RarePosts: 3,459

You are on a crusade against the cash shop and you pull "facts" out of thin air to support your disliking for that feature, it's obvious from your post history. Read the other part of my post, the one you didn't quote, and you'll see that it's definitely not that bad. But of course, spreading doomsday predictions about the shop is more fun that using real facts which prove the shop isn't that bad, don't you think? ;-)

PS: and I was one of the most skeptical about the cash shop before experiencing it myself, it's not like I'm a cash shop fanboi or something like that. But unless ANet drastically changes it before release, the shop as is it now is really no big deal.

Respect, walk, what did you say?
    Respect, walk
    Are you talkin' to me? Are you talkin' to me?
    - PANTERA at HELLFEST 2023
    Yes, they are back !

Bags start at 4 slots and go up to 20 slots, as of now. (Just like Vanilla WoW, I believe, but not sure if 20 slot bags were in WoW at launch). 

You do occassionally get bags as drops. Size seems to depend on the level of the area you are in. Also, there are a number of crafting professions that offer the equivalent of bags. Cloth/Leather bags or wooden/metal boxes. I didn't get to craft in the first WBE, but I've heard getting to the point where you can make 10 slot bags is fairly cheap and easy.

I never had to buy any during the WBE, even before I started to salvage items, or realized I could just click to send crafting mats and miniatures back to my bank, or sell items on the Marketplace right from the field.

Yes it is, very easy, very cheap and very quick. There is a way point right next to the bank in each city and the world is littered with way points. It's not just one or two per zone.

It's still not necassary. You may find a need/desire to buy more bag slots and bank slots, but the game will not force you to do so. Why bother at all? Some people are worse at inventory management, some are hoarders, some might not even realize all the tools available to them in the game.

I don't think so. I've posted on the forums my belief that many cash shops fail to maximize revenue by finding the sweet spot for item pricing. Selling 100,000 buffs @$.25 ea is better than selling 10,000 @ $1.00 each!

I personally find the prices for the buffs too high, but it may just decrease there use and even further minimize their potential impact on the game.

Prices for the account upgrades? Personally I wouldn't mind them a little lower, but they seem fair. I'm sure Arenanet will adjust prices to try to maximize revenue. Nothing wrong with that.

I don't see how anything in my posts is blind defense. It's all well reasoned information, much of which was missing from the debate.

• TheDarkrayneTheDarkrayne Member EpicPosts: 5,297

All I know is that I for one do not want to play every class.. In fact I'll probably only play about 2. I also know that all the way to level 32 I never once filled my bags or felt like I needed more slots (I bought larger bags on the auction house of course). Bank slots were the same, I never needed more (but I wasn't crafting that weekend). Now they have added the materials panel the crafting issue is out the window.

Everything in that post is not a requirement to play the game.

Gems can be bought with gold anyway.. and so far bag slots are all I would buy with them. Keep an eye on the current gold to gems prices and pick some up as and when it lowers a little, simples.

Anyone who ends up spending money on GW2 without realising it must be pretty dumb or have some serious convenience issues. Assuming the cash shop stays like it is of course.

I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.

Originally posted by Dodgefighter

"A year’s subscription to WoW is $156 if purchased in six-month blocks, making it ironically cheaper to play a year of WoW than a year of GW2."

You forget server changes, name changes etc. You spend a lot more then you think on wow. Free to play doesn’t exist. But I’ll take the buy to play over a monthly fee. I doubt I will make more than 3 role-playing characters and 2 pvp characters which I will continuously delete and recreate like I did in guild wars 1.

Math above pretty much proves the above statement to be false anyway.  My estimates for a player who likes a little bit of cosmetic spending too was $80 for the first year and $25 for consecutive years.  That includes unlocking the 2 bag slots (which hopefully are account wide, but I see no reason I player with 8 character slots and extra bank space can't make do with muling), 2 bank slots, and 3 character slots which are completely optional plus another $25 a year spent on cosmetics of dying and transmuting stats to items.  The poster you linked to doesn't even consider the fact you don't have to pay these amounts the next year you play GW2 as you already have these permenantly unlocked on your account.  If you plan on playing GW2 for more than a year this is extremely important to take note of.  You could even spend an extra $75 a year on cosmetics and you still wouldn't match WoW's sub cost even in that first year.

Server changes cost money in GW2 cost money too and I'm sure if offered so will name changes so that really isn't fair to bring up in a comparison.  We should however mention that WoW also sells minipets, mounts, and cosmetic changes such as gender swaps and new hairstyles too since it's only fair to bring that up.  WoW has a cash shop too!

Not to mention as others have said these are all optional.  You can get by without the extra bag and bank space and most players probably won't feel compelled to make more than 4 alts anyway. 

• Atlan99Atlan99 Member UncommonPosts: 1,332

Originally posted by The_Korrigan

You are on a crusade against the cash shop and you pull "facts" out of thin air to support your disliking for that feature, it's obvious from your post history. Read the other part of my post, the one you didn't quote, and you'll see that it's definitely not that bad. But of course, spreading doomsday predictions about the shop is more fun that using real facts which prove the shop isn't that bad, don't you think? ;-)

PS: and I was one of the most skeptical about the cash shop before experiencing it myself, it's not like I'm a cash shop fanboi or something like that. But unless ANet drastically changes it before release, the shop as is it now is really no big deal.

What facts have I pulled out of thin air in this thread?

• rungardrungard Member Posts: 1,035

The simple truth is that the GW2 model is the cheapest and most accessible form of fully supported AAA mmo entertainment today.

the option to buy a few addons that you can live without, in my option, is well justified by the company. They have to eat too.

i doubt i need to buy anything, but im sure ill buy a few things to keep them going i would imagine.

• RamanadjinnRamanadjinn Member UncommonPosts: 1,365

i am without a doubt a world class altaholic and i can guarantee that, although i may have 8 characters at level 80.  there is no way i will be buying full bag and bank unlocks for all of them.

not because i feel the price is outrageous, but because it just isn't going to be necessary to do so for each and every character.

• DiminioDiminio Member UncommonPosts: 12

5 Character slots is plenty to start with.  By the time you have maxed them all out and played them to death, you would have had enough gold and/or gems to buy the other three chartacter slots in game.  

Bags slots should not be too much of a worry since you get your 'personal bank' and 'PvP bank' as well as your 'guild bank'.   If your a seller, its so easy to instantly sell items using the option from your 'H' screen you won't keep much stock of items/mats.

As for xp/crafting boosts etc, yes it will mean someone with their parents (or their own) credit card can perma boost them selves, but  you will be able to buy these things with gold earned from your lenthy play times.  

The cash shop is more of a time friendly feature for those who can't play 18 hours a day.  All these items you will be able to buy in game with gold.  

One other huge advantage of this, GOLD SELLERS, how many did you see in beta last week (answer none).  It is not worth their effort since the players will provide the the gems/gold between themselves.

I want to clarify how vault space works for crafting materials. (Sorry, I thought I had taken a screen shot, but I don't).

Your vault space has a tab for collectables.

This tab inludes individualized slots for every basic and rare crafting material in the game, with an item icon identifying them and a counter to show how many of each you have. You just go to this slot, drag the crafting mats, (or just mail them to your bank by right clicking them in your inventory from any where in the game) and they go into the proper slot. (There are also special slots for the collectable miniature vanity pets, so those will not eat up inventory/vault space either).

I'm not sure what the limit is per mat, but I had some stacks of over 100, so it's >100.

These are also shared by your entire account, so you can gather and salvage mats in the field with any of your characters, easilty send them to your vault for storage and have them accessible to any of your characters that need them for crafting.

There is no gathering skill you need to learn, but there are consumable tools you buy and stick in slots on your character sheet to be able to gather. All gear can also be salvaged with a salvage kit, which you can buy in stacks of 25 pretty cheaply, and there are also salvageable items, which can be stacked and also can be broken down into crafting mats viab the use of a salvage kit.

When trying to figure out your potential inventory needs in GW2, this is a very big consideration. Crafting mats need not take up any general vault space and only require a few seconds of inventory maintenance to send from your bags to your vault, or even to be sold right from the field via the Marketplace.

Edit:

Here is a WBE youtube video showing the Account bank and illustrating how each crafting mat and mini-pet has their own slots...

GW2 Account Vault Video

• AmjocoAmjoco Member UncommonPosts: 4,860

These are all truly optional, while also providing great value for those who do feel the need/desire to upgrade. It's really a win/win and an issue that just doesn't hold up under the weight of fact and reason.

You need a hug. Thank you, that was put together very well!

Death is nothing to us, since when we are, Death has not come, and when death has come, we are not.

This discussion has been closed.