Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

why the hell is GW2 so over hyped

Comments

• AlotAlot Member Posts: 1,948

Originally posted by dontadow

Originally posted by Caldrin
    Was not really over hyped by the publisher but really by the fanboys on here... some people where making it out to be the second coming of christ, i know thats been used a lot to describe the kind of hype that happened but tis the truth..

I have been testing since closed beta and knew exactly what it was like because of that, i knew it was jsut a well polished themepark MMORPG with a button for instant gratification.. its also the reason i never pre-ordered it and will only pick it up in a sale at some point..

Nothing ground braking here and its not going to change the MMO industry..

Its actually a good game and if your into your themepark games then i highly recommend getting this if you can pick it up for a decent price, but dont go in thinking its going to make everything you hate about MMORPGs go away...

Closed Beta Right. Me too.  
    Its this type of arroganice that makes folk get up in arms.  If you like the changes you like them, if hyou don't you don't. But the clear lack of a trinity is more than enough to make most gamers happy.  Add to that no raiding or item treadmill. That's 99 percent of what most people who don't play MMOs hate about MMOs.  
    So yeah, if you can bring me anothe gamet hat's doing that, right now, i'll never comment in a thread again.  Else I hear hat i said earlier, sad jealousy from folk who are too ashamed to admit that the game they play hasn't changed since 2004. 

Some people desperately need to get this^ message hammered into their brains.

• SuperXero89SuperXero89 Member UncommonPosts: 2,551
    GW1 fans might like GW2, but playing the game has convinced me that in no way will it kill off quest-based MMORPGs.  I believe that I can argue that the DEs in GW2 make for even less PvE content than what is found in those other games.
  • Blackwater56Blackwater56 Member Posts: 122

Originally posted by SuperXero89

GW1 fans might like GW2, but playing the game has convinced me that in no way will it kill off quest-based MMORPGs.  I believe that I can argue that the DEs in GW2 make for even less PvE content than what is found in those other games.

Yeah, and Skyrim has unlimited Radiant AI quests

Quantity != quality 

• DjildjameshDjildjamesh Member UncommonPosts: 406

Originally posted by SuperXero89

there like what ... 1500 DE's in-game right now ? It's a number they brought out almost a year ago.

I think we'll have more then enough PvE content.  

It's rather have 1500 DE's  then 3000 kill/fetch  quest hubs

• Antihero63Antihero63 Member Posts: 2

"Haters gonna Hate", GW2 has hype, sure, but people are excited about the game.

I played the beta and honestly, I liked a majority of it. Combat was solid on some fronts and lacking as far as balance goes. Character Customization has gone well beyond that of most mmo's and personal story is a good idea but seemed like a dull blade that needed to be sharpened or shaped a lil more toward the player's liking. All in all, I did feel that the beta lacked the time/content needed to actually see where things were going for the game. I never got to see a dungeon or anything more than zerging a boss but I did get to half-way team up with a group of people for random boss encounter and see, partially, how group dynamics work besides going in wave after wave on a world boss who would cull the first couple of people who were brave enough to just see how much damage the boss could do. A lot of the things that I didn't like were obvious problems that should have been addressed from the start or should be on top of the list of things that will/should be fixed before release like player trades and more localized conversation.

As for the "trinity", there's nothing "bad" or "horrible" about the archetype that has been set forth since pnp days. That being said, some people want to break away from that as far as what that system has done for us in popular mmo's. I remember waiting for a tank or a healer over and over again just so I can take part in dailies, which for me was the biggest pain if I didn't already have a dedicated tank or healer to begin with. The set up for GW2 makes it more friendly toward casual players, players who don't really want to fill a certain role, and/or have to wait on said role to be filled. 

• Chivalry1978Chivalry1978 Member Posts: 184

I played the beta was not overly thrilled found it to easy to be honest and I posted that only to get a slew of people bashing me for not liking there gamer...This was just so....Childish....But hey people will like what they like.

• Dekarx12Dekarx12 Member UncommonPosts: 380

Originally posted by Chivalry1978

I played the beta was not overly thrilled found it to easy to be honest and I posted that only to get a slew of people bashing me for not liking there gamer...This was just so....Childish....But hey people will like what they like.

u got that response cause u sound like the thousands of other trolls out there that give no reason for there "BOO this game sucks"

• Blackwater56Blackwater56 Member Posts: 122

"Found it too easy"

Dear god, what class did you play? Or are you just talking about the DE? Anet confirmed they're working on scaling them better

• MagnetiaMagnetia Member UncommonPosts: 1,015

If it was a detailed explanation of what was wrong it would be a post. 

For example - I followed the DEs and found that they were nice but ultimately not what I expected. Therefore....

I found the weapon skills limiting  etc....

I wish I had more utility skills etc etc

I actually prefer trinity play etc etc

I feel those are very valid (subjective) arguements against GW2.

"beta blew" is not an opinion. 

Play for fun. Play to win. Play for perfection. Play with friends. Play in another world. Why do you play?

Originally posted by Magnetia

If it was a detailed explanation of what was wrong it would be a post. 

For example - I followed the DEs and found that they were nice but ultimately not what I expected. Therefore....

I found the weapon skills limiting  etc....

I wish I had more utility skills etc etc

I actually prefer trinity play etc etc

I feel those are very valid (subjective) arguements against GW2.

"beta blew" is not an opinion. 

^this^ +1

• kDeviLkDeviL Member UncommonPosts: 215

lolwut?  In 72 hours I had more fun in GW2 then probably any game I've ever played, It lived up to every expectation and more.. It has a pretty sharp learning curve thoush so frankly I think anybody that didn't like it probably sucked at it. I just can't see a single thing people could have not enjoyed otherwise.

Just my opinion though

To be fair though I am more of a pvper and GW2 was simply the best pvp I've ever seen.  Maybe your more into PvE in which I can't really comment since I didn't play alot of it.  It's strange though because I heard nothing but good things about it.

If WoW was released today even in its' entirety it would be f2p in 3 months.
    Why is it still such a big deal?

• dontadowdontadow Member UncommonPosts: 1,005

It was how you came off mixed with how you described your experience. It sounded like anothe guy I know, he played till level 2 and wrote the game off.  Unless you tell me you got all the way to 35 played all pieces of content, the idea that the game was "easy" sounds ludacris. 

Again, you like the game or you don't.  But you get strong responses when you say rediculous things such as "it doesnt do anything different than any other MMO" or "It was easy".  These, sound like childish statements.  You're making it sound like you are breezing through Ascalon's exploration modes like Candyland.  You act like you solo'd the shaman.  It just sounds lik the kind of BS of someone who A. didn't try to have fun or B. is so enamored in hat an MMO should be tha they couldn't figure out why the game doesn't use macros. 

• fiontarfiontar Member UncommonPosts: 3,682

There really weren't any exaggerated or extravagant claims made by Arenanet or the community. The weekend beta experience pretty much met my high expectations and the devs seem to have delivered on the game they've been talking about these last couple years.

A lot of what the game offers must sound like pure fantasy to fans of other games, because they have leearned to live with low expectations for games in the MMORPG genre. The thing is, it's not "hype" if it's true.

The game manages to offer a whole lot of game for a lot of different play styles, but I'm sure that some people just won't get the game or find it a match to their personal tastes. Instead of feeling the need to justify one's likes or dislikes by spreading hate about games that compete with what you love, why don't you just be happy with what ever game you've found a good match and leave it at that?

Every MMO fan owes themselves to give GW2 a real chance, because it really does offer some phenominal stuff in an otherwise stale genre. If it's not for you? Sorry, hopefully some other title will come along more your speed.

Want to know more about GW2 and why there is so much buzz? Start here: Guild Wars 2 Mass Info for the Uninitiated

• CaldrinCaldrin Member UncommonPosts: 4,505

Originally posted by Blackwater56

"Found it too easy"

Dear god, what class did you play? Or are you just talking about the DE? Anet confirmed they're working on scaling them better

Actually i fonud the game pretty easy all in all, I think i may have died a total of 3 times in PVE in closed beta.. I even found the PVP to be pretty easy, maybe its because im used to darkfall combat as that involves moving around hitting hotbar keys a lot as well tho of course without the tab targeting so i found the GW2 pvp easy to pick up so i always did pretty well and i guess others didnt as they where used to tab target and cycle certain skils..

As others have said here not everyone will like the game and im one of those that dont realyl like it, but i dont want to bash it by saying its a crap game because thats not the truth.. For me there are a lot of turn offs.. the cash shop, the fact you can press a button and be instantly lvl 80, instanced PVP, WvWvW is fun but at the end of the day its just like another instanced battle ground just bigger :(.. there are others but its just how i feel and what i dont like about it..

I like sandbox games with persistant worlds, if my clan builds, takes a keep then its ours until someone tries to take it off us.. that kinda thing i love and also long term character development is a big part of MMORPGs for me..

Buty me enjoying those things does noty make GW2 crap just not for me :)

"Found it too easy"

Actually i fonud the game pretty easy all in all, I think i may have died a total of 3 times in PVE in closed beta.. I even found the PVP to be pretty easy, maybe its because im used to darkfall combat as that involves moving around hitting hotbar keys a lot as well tho of course without the tab targeting so i found the GW2 pvp easy to pick up so i always did pretty well and i guess others didnt as they where used to tab target and cycle certain skils..

As others have said here not everyone will like the game and im one of those that dont realyl like it, but i dont want to bash it by saying its a crap game because thats not the truth.. For me there are a lot of turn offs.. the cash shop, the fact you can press a button and be instantly lvl 80, instanced PVP, WvWvW is fun but at the end of the day its just like another instanced battle ground just bigger :(.. there are others but its just how i feel and what i dont like about it..

I like sandbox games with persistant worlds, if my clan builds, takes a keep then its ours until someone tries to take it off us.. that kinda thing i love and also long term character development is a big part of MMORPGs for me..

@ Chivalry1978

See if u wrote up something like this you wouldnt get all the hate, he gave reasons and in return from a person that can't get enough of gw2 atm, i wish him luck to find the game for him :)

• EzhaeEzhae Member UncommonPosts: 735

"Found it too easy"

See that's the whole point. You like sandbox games. GW2 was never supposed to be, nor was never advertised as sandbox game. You can't really complain that horse isn't a fish. Nowhere on the box it says that the game will appeal to everyone's tastes. 

Personally I dislike sandbox games, they require too much of time commitment, time which I don't really have more often than not. Both firrst GW and GW2 allow me to play at my own pace and make the best of the time I have avalible. There is no rush, there is no treadmil of gear grind where I have to run certain places week after week just to get gear that let's me do anything worthwhile, the PvP is quick to get into and again, not dictated by time spent collecting weapons/armour. 

For me it's a perfect game in terms of core mechanics. Sure there are things to improve upon, like with every title ever created, but it does the job for me even at this stage. 

• NitthNitth Member UncommonPosts: 3,904

Originally posted by Terrorizor

Originally posted by Adamantine

Also, I will be very happy when all these people who can discuss endlessly how evil and wrong the trinity is have the game that offers them an alternative.

I agree with that statement.

The thing I don't understand is, why do so many people who aren't interested in GW2, care so much about a lot of people looking forward to it and being excited about it? It just seems like several people continue to go out of their way to try and fight the GW2 hype. Doesn't make much sense to me.

On this site? might be because 5/5 top new threads are gw2.

TSW - AoC - Aion - WOW - EVE - Fallen Earth - Co - Rift - || XNA C# Java Development

• CaldrinCaldrin Member UncommonPosts: 4,505

Originally posted by Ezhae

"Found it too easy"

See that's the whole point. You like sandbox games. GW2 was never supposed to be, nor was never advertised as sandbox game. You can't really complain that horse isn't a fish. Nowhere on the box it says that the game will appeal to everyone's tastes. 

Personally I dislike sandbox games, they require too much of time commitment, time which I don't really have more often than not. Both firrst GW and GW2 allow me to play at my own pace and make the best of the time I have avalible. There is no rush, there is no treadmil of gear grind where I have to run certain places week after week just to get gear that let's me do anything worthwhile, the PvP is quick to get into and again, not dictated by time spent collecting weapons/armour. 

For me it's a perfect game in terms of core mechanics. Sure there are things to improve upon, like with every title ever created, but it does the job for me even at this stage. 

I never went into it expecting a sandbox, but was expecting lots of groundbraking features as all the hype pointed to that. waht i did get was a well made themepark game but nothing really new just a few different twists on things and like i said its not a bad thing..

But yeah we all have different tastes in games and its very rare i ever bash a game because i hate it ill usually try and explain why :) tho i did bash SWTOR a bit to start with haha :)

Anyway i may actually pick up GW2 at some point but only when its cheaper :)

• Chivalry1978Chivalry1978 Member Posts: 184

Ok how about this I found the hype not to be lived up to and the fan base to rival republicans in the amount of mud slinging.....

• lathaanlathaan Member UncommonPosts: 476
    underhyped it is. I want GW2's baby!
  • likwidsagelikwidsage Member UncommonPosts: 90
    I find it funny that there are people that just believe their opinion is the only one that's a fact. If the beta really blew, then there wouldn't be so much positive clamor about it. If the game was really that easy, then there wouldn't be complaints about people dying so much. If there is no alternative to the trinity, then how do you explain GW2 reviews being phenomenal in just about every gaming site? Only way this all makes sense is if these are trolls that haven't even played the beta trying to be cool by saying a widely high rated gaming experience, in so far, sucks. Or realize that your opinion is that one which a minority agrees with. Saying you don't like the game when you haven't even experienced it is ignorance at best.

• dotdotdashdotdotdash Member UncommonPosts: 485

Frankly Guild Wars 2 was a really nice breathe of fresh air in an otherwise stagnant genre of gaming.

It's not the great game changer just like Tera isn't the great game changer, and just like SWTOR wasn't the great game changer.

It IS a big step forward for MMOs however, and I feel NO gripe for handing over money for a game I don't have to pay for ever again.

• dontadowdontadow Member UncommonPosts: 1,005

Originally posted by Ezhae

"Found it too easy"

I never went into it expecting a sandbox, but was expecting lots of groundbraking features as all the hype pointed to that. waht i did get was a well made themepark game but nothing really new just a few different twists on things and like i said its not a bad thing..

But yeah we all have different tastes in games and its very rare i ever bash a game because i hate it ill usually try and explain why :) tho i did bash SWTOR a bit to start with haha :)

Anyway i may actually pick up GW2 at some point but only when its cheaper :)

Love this statement

"I got nothing new"

Just (a conditinoal statement that negates the previous statement)

"different twists". 

So in other words you did see something new,  for some reason you just refuse to accept it was.

PErsonally I have never got why anyone considers sandbox games mmorpgs.  RPGs have stories, i don't want to build houses and fish.  So i'm fine with sandbox games but they just aren't RPGs.  As stated before, MMO RPGs, shoud be massive player rpgs.  Building is more of an simluation or strategy game, which is fine.  But Guild wars is an MMORPG, so why compare what your'e looking for (a massive multiplayer strategy game) to a massive multiplayer role playing game. 

• FreyaVPFreyaVP Member Posts: 7

Originally posted by sanshi44

Looks like to me this is another psot from somone who never played the beta who is affraid of loosing some of the player base in there current game there playing like 95% of all the other posts like this. If he gave a valid reason to why it sucks then maybe i woukd beleive he acualy played the game and think it isnt very good.

From my beta experience the Devs deleivered everything they promised + a bit more (minus some technical issues and a few bugs which is expected in beta and that will be fixed before the game comes out) and considering the hype went down a whole .01 since the beta weekend i would say alot of people who acualy played the game enjoyed it.

not afraid of losing anything. i've recently started playing tera, and im tired of the mmo sheep bringing GW rox GW sux threads to my forums, along with the other swtor, wow, aion, etc rejects making the same stupid threads. it's an over hyped, ridiculously bad mmo.

• spookytoothspookytooth Member Posts: 508
    why are people so over hyped about hype, would be a better question. The topic isnt even GW2 anymore. Its all about someones over exposure to over exposure. Get up and walk away from the computer, you will be a happier person.
This discussion has been closed.