Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

List of Sandbox MMORPGs [Updated: December 18, 2012]

Comments

• NildenNilden Member EpicPosts: 3,916

Originally posted by Ozmodan Minecraft is not a sandbox, it has zero character development.  Cute game, but definitely NOT a sandbox.

"You CAN'T buy ships for RL money." - MaxBacon

"classification of games into MMOs is not by rational reasoning" - nariusseldon

Love Minecraft. And check out my Youtube channel OhCanadaGamer

Try a MUD today at http://www.mudconnect.com/ 

• LarsaLarsa Member Posts: 990

Originally posted by nilden

It's more of an MMORPG than Global Agenda, League of Legends, Diablo 3, DOTA or Dota 2, all of which are listed on this site. It has literally thousands of servers that support over 100+ people.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F-vM2GDgMrE

Yea watch that, not an mmorpg...

Sorry, nilden. I'm just a random guy who makes a list of sandbox MMORPGs (with the help of the posters here), and as long as the mods let me do it I couldn't care less what other games are listed on this site.

My list is completely unrelated to what games the staff here at MMORPG.com lists. I'm sure they have their reasons.

I maintain this List of Sandbox MMORPGs. Please post or send PM for corrections and suggestions.

Originally posted by Larsa

It's more of an MMORPG than Global Agenda, League of Legends, Diablo 3, DOTA or Dota 2, all of which are listed on this site. It has literally thousands of servers that support over 100+ people.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F-vM2GDgMrE

Yea watch that, not an mmorpg...

Sorry, nilden. I'm just a random guy who makes a list of sandbox MMORPGs (with the help of the posters here), and as long as the mods let me do it I couldn't care less what other games are listed on this site.

My list is completely unrelated to what games the staff here at MMORPG.com lists. I'm sure they have their reasons.

Well I'd ask that you give Minecraft an honorable mention then. It's a fantastic game for someone looking to play a sandbox.

• TheocritusTheocritus Member LegendaryPosts: 9,737
         Yeah I dont see how minecraft is a sandbox either...I dont really even consider it a game.....Just like your lego blocks weren't a game either.
  • GeezerGamerGeezerGamer Member EpicPosts: 8,855

I think that in the spirit of why people chose to play Sand Boxes over Theme Parks, I'd have to say MC fits the bill. I'd say add it to the list. Maybe a brief description on how it differes from traditional RPGS, but certainly, For what it offers and why people "Sand Box" Yeah, Definitely.

• WorstluckWorstluck Member Posts: 1,269

Minecraft is sandbox video game, it's the very definition of it.  But it's not a RPG and there is no character development, thus it's not an MMORPG.  it's online and it's multiplayer, but it's no MMORPG.  I wont argue with the sillyness of having games like Diablo III and LoL on here, they aren't MMORPGs either.  The publishers advertise here so this website lists them on the site.  We all know better though.

Anyways, bumping this thread because it's not about GW2.

Minecraft is a sandbox-building...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Minecraft

The very first words on the wiki. If you can't tell minecraft is a sandbox game I question if you even know what one is.

• DistopiaDistopia Member EpicPosts: 21,183

Originally posted by Ozmodan

http://minecraft-server-list.com/

Every server type you could imagine under the sun. Play single player or create your own server. You can find servers with 400+ people. How this game is not listed on MMORPG.com when games like Diablo 3, League of Legends etc are is just mind boggling.

Minecraft is huge on youtube and the creations are endless.

Minecraft is not a sandbox, it has zero character development.  Cute game, but definitely NOT a sandbox.

imageimageimage

For every minute you are angry , you lose 60 seconds of happiness."-Emerson

• QuizzicalQuizzical Member LegendaryPosts: 25,346

Every server type you could imagine under the sun. Play single player or create your own server. You can find servers with 400+ people. How this game is not listed on MMORPG.com when games like Diablo 3, League of Legends etc are is just mind boggling.

Minecraft is not a sandbox, it has zero character development.  Cute game, but definitely NOT a sandbox.

What does that have to do with anything?  You can perhaps argue that a lack of character development means it's not an MMORPG, but it's very much a sandbox.

-----

My definition of a sandbox is that it's a game without a prescribed order for doing things.  There might be bits and pieces of, you have to do A before you can do B, but it should be sensibly possible to do most particular pieces of content in the game before or after the bulk of the rest of the game's content.

• GeezerGamerGeezerGamer Member EpicPosts: 8,855

I still think Mabinogi should be on the list. Also there are future releases coming. The Re-population and Salem to name two.

Originally posted by GeezerGamer

I still think Mabinogi should be on the list. Also there are future releases coming. The Re-population and Salem to name two.

I'm currently looking into Fallen Earth, Mabinogi and Wakfu.

As for coming games, I'm happy to list them when they're released. But I want this thread to list the games people can play now - and that excludes games that are still in development or in the design stage. 

I maintain this List of Sandbox MMORPGs. Please post or send PM for corrections and suggestions.

Originally posted by BigHatLogan

EVE has a free client.

Double-checked this on the official site.

From http://support.eveonline.com/Pages/KB/Article.aspx?id=21: Creating a CD-less account and a subscription to EVE - Online (including 30 days of game time) = €19.95. Granted, it's not much more expensive than the 1-month subscription plan, still, you have to buy the game after your free trial.

• SuraknarSuraknar Member UncommonPosts: 852

Oh wow... Sorry buddy but now I know that you do not know what a Sandbox really is.

- Duke Suraknar -
    Order of the Silver Star, OSS

ESKA, Playing MMORPG's since Ultima Online 1997 - Order of the Silver Serpent, Atlantic Shard

Updated the OP.

• Added Fallen Earth, Mabinogi and Wakfu to the list. Rather reluctantly in two cases. :)

• Added a setting information to each game.

• Added a disclaimer to the text.

• [Edit: added an explanation why I do not list games that aren't MMORPGs.]

• [Edit: added a game environment information (3d/isometric) to each game.]

• Sid_ViciousSid_Vicious Member RarePosts: 2,177

Vanguard is such a large themepark with one of the biggest seamless open worlds that it may be considered a sandbox. The very first definition of a sandbox was a game that allowed the player to explore the maps without limits which is something that can be done in this game although you would have to avoid all the mobs in higher level areas if you are just starting out which can be said about almost any MMORPG but nonetheless you are allowed to explore anywhere and reach anything that you see in the distance other than what is in the sky. It has instance-free housing as well and allows players to decorate their homes more than most games. Monsters have different factions so you can kill friendly monsters until you are considered an ally to enemy monsters allowing you to pick up special quests from them. They also have a diplomacy game that builds factions, unlocks quests, and rewards special items. Every building can be entered (unlike many Sandbox games) and most things that you come across are a part of some quest whether it be crafting, adventuring, or diplomacy.

I think that its list-worthy. I was able to defeat some level 50 players occasionally using level 8-16 twinks but the same does not apply against monsters. It no longer has a PVP server but with all of its features I think that it is more of a sandbox than some of the games listed. Players may also build boats and sail the seas. It especially felt like a sandbox when there was no fast-travel (bindstones) and a PVP server but I still think it may qualify for this community. It has one of the biggest open worlds in existence and so many quest-chains that it doesn't really feel like running on a treadmill like other themeparks since you can give up on one and start on another in a totally different part of the world or even build faction with enemies to start an opposing quest-chain. Every character has 5 sections for gear (adventuring, crafting, harvesting, diplomacy, and mount). I was able to build a class that I felt was one-of-a-kind which is another thing that most Sandbox games lack.

Once reaching the endgame it loses its sandbox feel a lot but during the journey it definitely feels like one and in some ways it is more sandbox than other games listed here.

NEWS FLASH! "A bank was robbed the other day and a man opened fire on the customers being held hostage. One customer zig-zag sprinted until he found cover. When questioned later he explained that he was a hardcore gamer and knew just what to do!" Download my music for free! I release several albums per month as part of project "Thee Untitled" . .. some video game music remixes and cover songs done with instruments in there as well! http://theeuntitled.bandcamp.com/ Check out my roleplaying blog, collection of fictional short stories, and fantasy series... updated on a blog for now until I am finished! https://childrenfromtheheavensbelow.blogspot.com/ Watch me game on occasion or make music... https://www.twitch.tv/spoontheeuntitled and subscribe! https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCUvqULn678VrF3OasgnbsyA

• UsulDaNeriakUsulDaNeriak Member Posts: 640

i found this website lately which focusses on sandbox MMOs:

http://sandboxer.org/

perhaps it helps.

as already mentioned above, Entropia is missing on the list. it is a sandbox, no doubt. even with a strange business model.

played: Everquest I (6 years), EVE (3 years)
    months: EQII, Vanguard, Siedler Online, SWTOR, Guild Wars 2
    weeks: WoW, Shaiya, Darkfall, Florensia, Entropia, Aion, Lotro, Fallen Earth, Uncharted Waters
    days: DDO, RoM, FFXIV, STO, Atlantica, PotBS, Maestia, WAR, AoC, Gods&Heroes, Cultures, RIFT, Forsaken World, Allodds

Originally posted by Sid_Vicious

Vanguard is such a large themepark with one of the biggest seamless open worlds that it may be considered a sandbox. ...

Sorry, Sid. I played Vanguard too, stopped 3 or 4 months ago or so - and I really do like Vanguard. It's a rich, deep game by now and I can certainly recommend it, but a sandbox it isn't.

Just looking at the feature list in my original post there are quite some sandboxy features that Vanguard doesn't have. For example:

• Player-driven in-game economy, not a loot-driven economy, no bind-on-equip or bind-on acquire items

• Character development that can be customised via skills and/or customisations of class roles, not a class system where every level 50 warrior has the exact same skills and attributes

• Non-linear character development where characters are not limited to developer-defined roles, for example: free skill trees or multi-classing of characters

• In-depth crafting system. A crafting system is considered in-depth if the majority of items in the game is player-made and when crafted items can be at least as good as dropped items

• In-depth resource system. A resource system is considered in-depth if items can be made from raw resources that influence the resulting item (either it's stats or it's appearance is okay)

Vanguard doesn't have the features I listed above. Therefore I don't think Vanguard should be on the list of sandbox MMORPGs. And I don't want to show my bias by listening a game that I like although it doesn't really qualify.

If I did it wouldn't take long for another poster to come here and ask to have LotRO or GW2 or whatever on the list as well. :)

@Neriak: I'll have a second look at Entropia. Thanks for the suggestion.

• AIMonsterAIMonster Member UncommonPosts: 2,059

Even though it's often considered little more than a social hub, Second Life definitely belongs on the list.  It's a true sandbox in every sense of the word.

• UsulDaNeriakUsulDaNeriak Member Posts: 640

Originally posted by Magnum2103

Even though it's often considered little more than a social hub, Second Life definitely belongs on the list.  It's a true sandbox in every sense of the word.

it depends how you divide the genre into subgenre. it is a sandbox, no doubt, but i would say Second Life is a Simulation not a MMORPG.

if the OP is just looking for sandboxes and not MMORPG in special, than we should also look for some MMOFPS and MMORTS. 

played: Everquest I (6 years), EVE (3 years)
    months: EQII, Vanguard, Siedler Online, SWTOR, Guild Wars 2
    weeks: WoW, Shaiya, Darkfall, Florensia, Entropia, Aion, Lotro, Fallen Earth, Uncharted Waters
    days: DDO, RoM, FFXIV, STO, Atlantica, PotBS, Maestia, WAR, AoC, Gods&Heroes, Cultures, RIFT, Forsaken World, Allodds

Originally posted by UsulDaNeriak

it depends how you divide the genre into subgenre. it is a sandbox, no doubt, but i would say Second Life is a Simulation not a MMORPG.

if the OP is just looking for sandboxes and not MMORPG in special, than we should also look for some MMOFPS and MMORTS. 

Well, the list is supposed to be about MMORPG sandboxes.

I'll have a look at Second Life, does it even have some sort of character development or so?

• wrekognizewrekognize Member UncommonPosts: 388

Linkrealms should definitely be on this list.

Originally posted by wrekognize

Linkrealms should definitely be on this list.

Link Realms isn't released, wrek, it's in closed beta. At least there's an "Apply for Beta" on their website. :)

• simmihisimmihi Member UncommonPosts: 709

Wanted to say this for a few days,

THANKS LARSA!

Updated the OP.

• Added Entropia Universe to the game list.

• Added a Client OS description to each game.

• UtukuMoonUtukuMoon Member Posts: 1,066

Originally posted by MMOExposed

Originally posted by Pale_Fire

You're missing Vanguard.  Unless, I'm blind, which is possible.

Of course, that would make my ability to type this message flawlessly quite remarkable.

vanguard is themepark. not sandbox

Vanguard is a hybrid,its inbetween sandbox and themepark,same goes for ArcheAge. and old shcool EQ.

People forget that EQ was also a skill based game and up until LDON it had no instances.