Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

List of Sandbox MMORPGs [Updated: December 18, 2012]

167891012»

Comments

• ZenrabbitZenrabbit Member Posts: 1
    Thanks for the list.

• HelleriHelleri Member UncommonPosts: 930

I saw one on the list that made me shiver...Wurm Online. I tried this one out not to long ago. I absolutely hated it every minute of it.

I tried my best to give this a chance. But, the tutorial was literately broken (as in, some NPC's and objects were not working correctly). Because, of this it was very difficult to get passed the tutorial even if you understood what to do. Given that the tutorial was a restricted linear path (from which you are not intended to escape unless you pass it), at one point I had to glitch my way out of it.

And, as far as the interface goes...there isn't one to speak of. It's all pop up menu's with heavily involved tree branching. It can take as long as it does in real life to get ones self fully equipped (aside from obtaining everything you would need to be fully equipped).

There is absolutely no polish (in the commonly understood sense or the real sense of the word). You will get stuck, under branches, on rocks, on corners, time and again. And it will get you killed in combat.

For which there is vary little real indication of how well you are doing or if you are even good enough to have picked a fight with what you chose to go after.

Now, dated graphics I can handle...But, I am not even sure that the textures used in the game belong to them originally. I could have sworn I have seen many of them in Active Worlds. Which is ok if they didn't make the textures and models themselves (you can buy the rights to use many textures and models and find royalty free ones as well for world building). But, even if those are all original textures and models. They are lazily done. and by that I mean they are low rez, with no lighting or shadow baking, all diffuse, and inconsistent in their style.

Wurm online would not be bad as an example to someone of what you want to kind of do in concept when you make a real game...But, it isn't even beta worthy as I had found it. Maybe they have improved in the couple of months since I tried it? But from what I saw of it...If you are the kind of person who grabs their hair in frustration...you will go bald trying to play this game.

The only other game I had a worse time playing in recent memory was Arrevan (the biggest challenge with that one was  NOT falling through the map to your death or being indefinitely stuck on walk out into the aether...or not dying from the fall damage of walking down stairs...or getting through a doorway...challenges*).

• aynfarikaaynfarika Member UncommonPosts: 4
    Originally posted by Larsa

Anyone here who has actually played Free Realms or Wizard 101?

I know, they're both aimed at kids, but from the feature list they might fit the description of a sandbox MMORPG. I have no experience with either of them.

BTW: I decided to exclude Second Live from the list. It's not an MMORPG, has no character development, no crafting and no resource system. Yes, I know one can make stuff in that game, but the stuff isn't made out of in-game resources but pure "Photoshop" work, they seem to have their own editor. The company running the world annex chat-room doesn't call it an MMORPG too.

I have played both games. I don't know if you would call Wizard 101 a sandbox game as the only thing thats sandboxy about it is the housing and character clothing (recoloring).. FreeRealms is similar.

• DrelkagDrelkag Member UncommonPosts: 56
    Thanks for keeping this list updated!

• AlBQuirkyAlBQuirky Member EpicPosts: 7,432

Originally posted by aynfarika

Anyone here who has actually played Free Realms or Wizard 101?I know, they're both aimed at kids, but from the feature list they might fit the description of a sandbox MMORPG. I have no experience with either of them.BTW: I decided to exclude Second Live from the list. It's not an MMORPG, has no character development, no crafting and no resource system. Yes, I know one can make stuff in that game, but the stuff isn't made out of in-game resources but pure "Photoshop" work, they seem to have their own editor. The company running the world annex chat-room doesn't call it an MMORPG too.
    I have played both games. I don't know if you would call Wizard 101 a sandbox game as the only thing thats sandboxy about it is the housing and character clothing (recoloring).. FreeRealms is similar.
    Yes, Wizard101 is NOT a sandbox in any shape or form. It is linear. VERY linear. You can not even leave the first area (Wizard City) without completing the quest line. Housing is instanced.

Wizard101 is about as non-sandbox as one can get :)

FreeRealms I have no idea about, though :)

- Al

Personally the only modern MMORPG trend that annoys me is the idea that MMOs need to be designed in a way to attract people who don't actually like MMOs. Which to me makes about as much sense as someone trying to figure out a way to get vegetarians to eat at their steakhouse.
    - FARGIN_WAR

• BearKnightBearKnight Member CommonPosts: 461
    Originally posted by MMOExposed
    Originally posted by Pale_Fire
    Also, Asheron's Call and Everquest.  I know AC was/is sandbox.

EQ is the first major theme park mmo

No it wasn't, you're thinking of WoW. EQ prior to Planes of Power was, in fact, considered a Sandbox.

Quests were more a side-difficult task to be done that most couldn't or wouldn't do. They were choices to enhance yourself and diversify your character. Not "rides" to go on for your core gameplay experience, and that is what makes a Themepark, which is why EQ is not one nor ever has been.

Hope I cleared that up for you, cheers.

Originally posted by AlBQuirky

I know, they're both aimed at kids, but from the feature list they might fit the description of a sandbox MMORPG. I have no experience with either of them.

BTW: I decided to exclude Second Live from the list. It's not an MMORPG, has no character development, no crafting and no resource system. Yes, I know one can make stuff in that game, but the stuff isn't made out of in-game resources but pure "Photoshop" work, they seem to have their own editor. The company running the world annex chat-room doesn't call it an MMORPG too.

Yes, Wizard101 is NOT a sandbox in any shape or form. It is linear. VERY linear. You can not even leave the first area (Wizard City) without completing the quest line. Housing is instanced.

Housing in FreeRealms is instanced and not sandbox. I've been trying to find a sandbox game that has ingame housing with no restrictions on placing items (thats why I loved SWG) and allows me to be creative lol. Its been a challenge trying to find a Free to Play game with all of that.

• SEANMCADSEANMCAD Member EpicPosts: 16,775

Housing in FreeRealms is instanced and not sandbox. I've been trying to find a sandbox game that has ingame housing with no restrictions on placing items (thats why I loved SWG) and allows me to be creative lol. Its been a challenge trying to find a Free to Play game with all of that.

Wurm Online?

Please do not respond to me, even if I ask you a question, its rhetorical.

Please do not respond to me

• HothloveHothlove Member UncommonPosts: 126
    Well I have played Ryzom.. It has quests upon quests and iirc there are lvls too. Magic class, fighter class crafter class. I know the list is old and I dont know if they changed Ryzom since you did it.
    Could someone tell me if housing is instanced in Uncharted Waters Online? I haven't played in a while but last I looked it was instanced unless that has changed.

Oh just an FYI you might want to check out SWGemu since you miss SWG :) http://www.swgemu.com/forums/index.php

• corpusccorpusc Member UncommonPosts: 1,341

Darkfall

---------------------------

Corpus Callosum    

---------------------------

• d4rkwingd4rkwing Member Posts: 32

Originally posted by aynfarika I've been trying to find a sandbox game that has ingame housing with no restrictions on placing items (thats why I loved SWG) and allows me to be creative lol. Its been a challenge trying to find a Free to Play game with all of that.

Archeage? It's F2P in the sense you can start playing without paying. But to own property you will need a subscription.