Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Tera gets better and better

Comments

• fadisfadis Member Posts: 469

^Complaining about the F1-F5 keys is rather stupid.

You're aware you can change your keybindings, no?

I'm enjoying the game... it's pretty and plays crisply.  The melee combat is quite a bit more engaging than standard MMOs - not perfect, but it works!

Also, though not normally my thing... I can enjoy the bizzaro FF/Lineage/Aion/Asiantheme/BouncyBoobs!!! atmosphere for a few weeks.  Cleans the palate after TOR.

The world... while looking nice... is barely interactive.  In a strange way, it reminds me of GW1.  Things look nice, but it really is just painted on.  A few things you can jump around on... most you'll go flying off in weird directions as you hit invisible walls and whatnot.

• ThorkuneThorkune Member UncommonPosts: 1,969

Originally posted by oakthornn

Constantly spamming Left click, right click, the F1-F5 keys, as well as the number 1-5 buttons and alt with tab repeatedly over and over again is absolutely absurd

This was ONE of the complaints for me too. Even if you can rebind keys, it isn't worth the effort IMO.

• rainorxxrainorxx Member Posts: 85

Originally posted by bigsmiff

Constantly spamming Left click, right click, the F1-F5 keys, as well as the number 1-5 buttons and alt with tab repeatedly over and over again is absolutely absurd

This was ONE of the complaints for me too. Even if you can rebind keys, it isn't worth the effort IMO.

Hey guys, you can expand the virtual keyboard.....dãã

• wrightstufwrightstuf Member UncommonPosts: 659

Originally posted by tachgb

/_____ All it has over normal MMO's is combat? So....You haven't actually played TERA then? Get a clue, there's a fair few more features then just good combat which TERA has over standard MMO's.

But yes, TERA does get better and better.

like what? so far all i've been doing is quests and leveling

and how does it get better?

Originally posted by TheDubanat0r

Holy Crap does this game get even better once you get to level 20. This is the closest thing N.A.. Will get to a Monster Hunter online type of game. The BAM's Are so god damn fun. This game is a blast to play.

How so? i just dinged 38 on my archer and i havent seen anything get better....i'm starting to worry about endgame

• Deron_BarakDeron_Barak Member Posts: 1,136

A friend let me roll a character while she had things to do... Anyway, I only played the level 20 introduction part and immediately logged after going back to level 1...  The graphics for a mmorpg were very good, but Personally, I think the combat is atrocious.. You have to press the F1-F5 keys, number 1-5 keys to perform abilities, not  to mention hit alt when you want to use the cursor every freakin time! In my opinion, it just feels weird.. And then you get to spam left click for regular attacks and hit right click to roll away from being hit... It feels as if I'm trying to play a fighting game on the keyboard and mouse?!?  I mean, how awkward, strange, weird, and ridiculous is that??  Would one prefer to play a game like Mortal Kombat, Tekken, Street Fighter, Soul Caliber etc, on a keyboard and mouse or with a proper game controller??? 

So, why does Tera want to be a "action" based MMORPG game on the pc?? You will need to go out and buy a gaming controller because there's no way it's fun to play it on a keyboard and mouse,, UNLESS you have the opportunity to tweak the ui so it actually plays like a,,, pc based mmorpg...  Cuz if you can't modify this, then it just doesn't make sense for anyone to play it on the keyboard and mouse... 

Constantly spamming Left click, right click, the F1-F5 keys, as well as the number 1-5 buttons and alt with tab repeatedly over and over again is absolutely absurd, ridiculous and straight up retarded in a mmorpg.. Flame me if you will but no one can seriously say they like this and think its,,, fun., lol..

It's not everyone's cup of tea but for me it's a whole lot more fun that tab target.  Remember you are only one person and just because you don't like something or can't/don't want to get used to it does not mean others don't.  A few things:

• You can hold down the left click to auto-cycle through the four "standard" attacks or less.  On my Warrior I usually hold for two hits and move slightly and am able to hold for the final two before it resets.  Each of the four standard attacks are different and scale higher in damage.

• There is a fully cusomizable controller interface that shows on your UI and is animated with chain abilities, etc.  It's designed for a 360 controller in mind.

• TERAs combat system is not meant for stand still combat.  Part of the engagement regarding the combat system is the transition between moving and weaving abilities in with standard attacks.  A lot of abilities move you around as well so you have to be mindful of where your rolls, jumps and teleports are going to land you.

I wouldn't flame you of course but I wonder just how much you played before you decided it's not a good system, or "retarded" in your words.  Only you know the answer.  People wonder why the game starts you with so few skills and walkd you through the first 10-15 levels.  Part of the reason IMO is because the combat is different than what most are use to.

Just not worth my time anymore.

• CelciusCelcius Member RarePosts: 1,869

Originally posted by wrightstuf

/_____ All it has over normal MMO's is combat? So....You haven't actually played TERA then? Get a clue, there's a fair few more features then just good combat which TERA has over standard MMO's.

Good question, all I am aware of is that there are dungeons and Rifts at the end. Same ol' carrot on a stick gameplay with the addition of being able to fight other guilds anywhere...(A feature that was first put into Ultima Online and not used since iirc) Maybe if GvG were in a structured environment (aka GW1) it would have been better. 

Originally posted by Celcius

Originally posted by wrightstuf

Good question, all I am aware of is that there are dungeons and Rifts at the end. Same ol' carrot on a stick gameplay with the addition of being able to fight other guilds anywhere...(A feature that was first put into Ultima Online and not used since iirc) Maybe if GvG were in a structured environment (aka GW1) it would have been better. 

At 20 the first dungeon is available and BAMs start out at level 20.  Plus you share quests in about three areas so there is some area diverstiy.  What's funny is that your still in just the thrid province out of 15, if you count Isle of Dawn and Velika/Outskirts.

• BigHatLoganBigHatLogan Member Posts: 688

The combat in TERA is great.  The mobs however are extremely stupid.  I couldn't bring myself to get past level 18.  Too many kill 10 rats.  The mobs just stand around in a field eating grass.  The AI is way too dumb to ever hit you unless you just get bored and lazy.  Graphics are awesome but art direction is kinda crappy.  Lots of invisible walls, exploration is frustrating.  TERA is not a failure in Korea though, it's actually number 10 on the top 10 internet cafe games played in Korea (with like 2 - 3%)  People looked at that number and decided it was a failure but that is pretty good. I think Aion was number 1 or 2 with 10%.   I don't remember where that article was but you can probably find it on Google. 

Are you a Pavlovian Fish Biscuit Addict? Get Help Now!
    I will play no more MMORPGs until somethign good comes out!

Originally posted by NBlitz

Here's one person (the OP) who's enjoying himself and people will say anything to bring him down.

Can you imagine a world in which we all liked the same things, felt and thought the same?

we do...sex and beer

• VidirVidir Member UncommonPosts: 963

Originally posted by RogueTroopa

After levelling a Slayer and Lancer to level 25 each i can safely say i'm blown away by the quality of this game. I was sceptical at the start like many but have been proved wrong. 

The graphics are jaw dropping, the world is huge and immersive. Cities are alive. Also you get thrown into a world that full of people levelling up and chatting. This is what an MMO is all about. Unlike SWTOR there is a huge sense of community.

The combat really does make grinding fun. Its just so much better than the autoattack system which we are all used to. And the animations on the characters really show how much work went into this game.  Its just a joy killing things. And alot of the creatures you kill remind me of creatures from Silent Hill in the 'duskwood' style areas.

Gathering is a joy, instantaneous mounting and looting, great easy to use interface all just adds to the great fun experience.

I can safely say this game won't die for awhile. Its just too dam polished.  

Ok so you like the game and that is very good,but what is the game about? Does it turn into a group raid based gear/level grind after the first 30 levels or so?

• VorthanionVorthanion Member RarePosts: 2,749

Originally posted by Deron_Barak

A friend let me roll a character while she had things to do... Anyway, I only played the level 20 introduction part and immediately logged after going back to level 1...  The graphics for a mmorpg were very good, but Personally, I think the combat is atrocious.. You have to press the F1-F5 keys, number 1-5 keys to perform abilities, not  to mention hit alt when you want to use the cursor every freakin time! In my opinion, it just feels weird.. And then you get to spam left click for regular attacks and hit right click to roll away from being hit... It feels as if I'm trying to play a fighting game on the keyboard and mouse?!?  I mean, how awkward, strange, weird, and ridiculous is that??  Would one prefer to play a game like Mortal Kombat, Tekken, Street Fighter, Soul Caliber etc, on a keyboard and mouse or with a proper game controller??? 

So, why does Tera want to be a "action" based MMORPG game on the pc?? You will need to go out and buy a gaming controller because there's no way it's fun to play it on a keyboard and mouse,, UNLESS you have the opportunity to tweak the ui so it actually plays like a,,, pc based mmorpg...  Cuz if you can't modify this, then it just doesn't make sense for anyone to play it on the keyboard and mouse... 

Constantly spamming Left click, right click, the F1-F5 keys, as well as the number 1-5 buttons and alt with tab repeatedly over and over again is absolutely absurd, ridiculous and straight up retarded in a mmorpg.. Flame me if you will but no one can seriously say they like this and think its,,, fun., lol..

It's not everyone's cup of tea but for me it's a whole lot more fun that tab target.  Remember you are only one person and just because you don't like something or can't/don't want to get used to it does not mean others don't.  A few things:

• You can hold down the left click to auto-cycle through the four "standard" attacks or less.  On my Warrior I usually hold for two hits and move slightly and am able to hold for the final two before it resets.  Each of the four standard attacks are different and scale higher in damage.

• There is a fully cusomizable controller interface that shows on your UI and is animated with chain abilities, etc.  It's designed for a 360 controller in mind.

• TERAs combat system is not meant for stand still combat.  Part of the engagement regarding the combat system is the transition between moving and weaving abilities in with standard attacks.  A lot of abilities move you around as well so you have to be mindful of where your rolls, jumps and teleports are going to land you.

I wouldn't flame you of course but I wonder just how much you played before you decided it's not a good system, or "retarded" in your words.  Only you know the answer.  People wonder why the game starts you with so few skills and walkd you through the first 10-15 levels.  Part of the reason IMO is because the combat is different than what most are use to.

Unlike you guys who keep disrepecting Tab Target games and the people who like them as being unskilled noobs.  All I see anymore are posts from your side of the spectrum saying our preferred playstyle should die a quick and violent death, even if it takes half the player base of the genre with it.

• oakthornnoakthornn Member UncommonPosts: 863

I played more today until level 5..  What I don't like about the combat is you have to press the F keys, space bar, number keys, and left mouse button to perform attacks.. I personally think this is dumb, considering pretty much every other mmorpg ever released allowed the player the option to move the cursor to their abilities and left click their attacks.. I have always been a clicker and have done very well over the years.. Then you have gamers who never click but prefer to use the keys on the keyboard.. Both are effective and both types of gamers should have the option to click their abilities as well as use the keyboard.... With Tera, you don't have that option. This is what I don't like.. And why I believe many people are turned off by the game..  Other than that, I did enjoy everything else Tera had to offer, but unfortunately the combat is not to my liking.. But If there was an option to use the cursor and left click all my attacks, then I'd definitely love that and would buy the game today.. 

Rallithon Oakthornn
    (Retired Heirophant of the 60th season)

Originally posted by Vorthanion

Unlike you guys who keep disrepecting Tab Target games and the people who like them as being unskilled noobs.  All I see anymore are posts from your side of the spectrum saying our preferred playstyle should die a quick and violent death, even if it takes half the player base of the genre with it.

Can you please point to where I said that? I highlighted my only mention of tab target so maybe you quoted the wrong post? To your point tab target has been a staple of MMO's since their inception and many people still like it.  I, on the other hand, have stopped playing games because the combat is boring due to not being engaging enough.  If you like it that's great.  To your credit you have a lot more titles to enjoy than I do, heh.

• Panther2103Panther2103 Member EpicPosts: 5,768

I'm enjoying every aspect of tera, even the kill 10 of these quests. For some reason the combat just makes it a lot more fun for me, and the BAM's and dungeons are just really really fun.

• VorthanionVorthanion Member RarePosts: 2,749

Can you please point to where I said that? I highlighted my only mention of tab target so maybe you quoted the wrong post? To your point tab target has been a staple of MMO's since their inception and many people still like it.  I, on the other hand, have stopped playing games because the combat is boring due to not being engaging enough.  If you like it that's great.  To your credit you have a lot more titles to enjoy than I do, heh.

The point being, not you specifically, but your side of the spectrum has for a very long time been just as disrespectful of non-action combat mechanics as you feel that guy is being about spastic mouse clicking and keyboard mashing games.

I played more today until level 5..  What I don't like about the combat is you have to press the F keys, space bar, number keys, and left mouse button to perform attacks.. I personally think this is dumb, considering pretty much every other mmorpg ever released allowed the player the option to move the cursor to their abilities and left click their attacks.. I have always been a clicker and have done very well over the years.. Then you have gamers who never click but prefer to use the keys on the keyboard.. Both are effective and both types of gamers should have the option to click their abilities as well as use the keyboard.... With Tera, you don't have that option. This is what I don't like.. And why I believe many people are turned off by the game..  Other than that, I did enjoy everything else Tera had to offer, but unfortunately the combat is not to my liking.. But If there was an option to use the cursor and left click all my attacks, then I'd definitely love that and would buy the game today.. 

Do you think a gampad would work for you? I haven't tried it myself but I hear the gameplay is the same as KB/Mouse.  I have been a clicker since I started playing MMOs so I understand how foreign it is.  You can't click or hotkey alone because you need the mouse for aiming and the wasd for movement.  This can be very frustrating.

OH! Someone mentioned mapping your right mouse button to run and then being able to use "W" and "S" as hotkeys.  You can play around with any kep map and setup but it doesn't change the fact that "curser mode" (Alt/Esc key) is only for menus which would seem weird.  I will say you do get used to having seperate view/movement operation.  After a CBT I logged into EQ2 and couldn't control my guy to save my life lol.

Side note: Even if an ability is on F1 you can change what activates F1.  There are two options for every hotbar key in the UI including mouse buttons.

The major factor for my adjustment to TERA's combat is a multi-button mouse.  I have a paired KB/Mouse that just happened to have 7 buttons on it so I've been able to get by.  I want to eventually get a naga or G700 which paired with +shift/+Ctrl shoudl cover all my needs.  Most class abilities have another ability chained to it activated by the spacebar (you can change the chain activation button and the chained abilities) so if you find a good series of moves you can make your gameplay a lot smoother.

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,505

Darn, I really like the combat set up in TERA, guess I ruined your absolute statement.

Here's another absolute statement, I don't see how anyone can enjoy playing PC game using a game controller, I would never dream of doing so.

OK, I'm proven wrong on that one all the time, many people in TERA are using game controllers, go figure.

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• VikingGamerVikingGamer Member UncommonPosts: 1,350

I know, pressing keys in combat... in an MMO! crazy! totally unacceptable. What were these guys thinking?

All die, so die well.

• indojabijinindojabijin Member UncommonPosts: 97

I got to level 20 last night after forcing myself to continue playing. I will say this: leveling to 20 is extremely fast and does not take much effort. It's just the questing is just so horrible.

Anyways, after hitting 20 and getting my first BAM quests I was pleasantly surprised. The BAMS are fun, and the first dungeon was also really fun. So gameplay does get better once you get past those first levels.

Now whether or not TERA will sustain my attention is another thing. It does have really good combat that requires you to pay attention.

• BarCrowBarCrow Member UncommonPosts: 2,195

Originally posted by VikingGamer

I know, pressing keys in combat... in an MMO! crazy! totally unacceptable. What were these guys thinking?

Right.....I have the same problems with my cell phone. Always spamming keys for stuff. Press this and press that. I was so fed up I bought a smart phone...one of those me-phones. Yeah..right .."smart"....it just put a set of keys on the screen for me to spam instead. When are MMOs and cell phones gonna wake up!!!!

Let's get some new interface options. Like ...idk....a usb buttplug..maybe we could control things with our anal sphincter . Ouch. Maybe when our avatar needs to run we have to maintain a constant stream of urine into the Microphone jack.  Like the watergun/balloon game at the fair. Lay a plastic sheet down first.

Just ideas ..

Guess I'll just stick with keyboard and mouse for now.

• pressedNutzpressedNutz Member Posts: 36

Didn't like it, no surprise there.  What I truly found amusing was all of the rampant back patting and self encouragement in general chat.  As if people needed to convince themselves this was the best game they've ever played.

P.S. The action combat is a bit misleading as every single melee / spell ability, roots you in place as you use it.

Clearly you didn't play it for more than 2 minutes. Or you are just lying. General chat was just the same ol' gang of trolls being trollish and all the people telling you to ignore them, ergo the same community we've come to expect from every MMO. There was no "rampant back patting and self encouragement". Though you would get the occational "wow, this game looks georgous." Then the rest of the time it was the normal "WoW was the first mmo...ever!" and "GW2 is going to be awesome" and "your mom is going to be awesome."

"every single melee / spell ability, roots you in place"

Combat does not root in place. In fact the complete opposite is true. Swinging a sword actually forcibly moves you through the stroke. So if you are swinging wildly out of control and not paying attention to your facing while you are on a bridge or ledge you will fall off of it. Which is uber frikken cool. Casting some spells do require that you do stand in place...but name one game where that isn't the case. Between every strike you can move and strafe and jump and for once it actually make a difference where you are facing and what you are doing.

• NBlitzNBlitz Member Posts: 1,904

Originally posted by VikingGamer

Originally posted by jokuvaan

All it really has over standard mmo's is combat.

Eventually it will get stale too, only question of when.

No way, the most noticable feature of Tera by a long shot is its trolls. We have the best trolls in the industry. Sure other games have trolls but they are mostly lazy and lose interest quickly. Our trolls are dedicated professionals. They are on top of new threads like spider monkeys on crack laced bananas. cutting them down by the second post in most cases. I dare anybody to give me an example of finer, more dedicated, more rabid trolls anywhere in the industry.

LOL, this.

Our trolls will go back 21 pages to necro a thread and reply with >10 words.  I love our trolls.

Have mercy, my sides!

• NevulusNevulus Member UncommonPosts: 1,288

What? You mean MMOs have people still pressing buttons? OH MY GOD, STOP THE PRESSES! HOLD THE PHONE! 

This is unacceptable, people are actually pressing keys to play a MMO in this day and age. I can't believe it. The world has officially come to a screeching halt over this dilemma. 

Back to reality: I cant wait to play people like you, "clickers" in GW2. Easy kill with all the kiting/dodging they have to do while still trying to click a button, lol it's going to be hilarious.

• oakthornnoakthornn Member UncommonPosts: 863

wow, guess I did set myself up for those humorous flames by not specifying exactly what I meant in my first post.. But, If you people read my second post in this thread, you'll understand what I meant... So please allow me to reiterate... Maybe after doing so, people will understand what I'm trying to say a little better..

In every MMO I've played, I always used tab/left click to attack.. I've also always been used to using the cursor and left click my mouse mostly to use all of my abilities.... In Tera, there is no option to do this.. But this obviously doesn't bother those gamers who  "prefer" using hotkeys, space bar, tab, f keys, etc  to perform all their abilities instead of highlighting an abilitiy and left clicking..  My point I'm trying to make is this.. I feel there should be an option for those who actually enjoy using the cursor/mouse to left click their abilities.

After playing for about an hour today, I still feel uncomfortable hiting spacebar after a roll to perform an attack and occassionally hitting the F key to perform an attack, while then going back to left clicking your regular normal combo attack.. It feels strange and definitely takes away from my preferred playstyle.. And this is me trying to be nice about the combat system..

With my left hand I'm moving around avoiding the enemy, my right hand is left clicking and right clicking, then all of a sudden I'm hitting spacebar for an attack and hitting F1 for an attack, at the same time also still trying to move/dodge with my left hand.. It's like trying to play the piano for the first time,,, and mastering it...  It just feels clunky and strange.. It's definitely not smooth, to say the least, lol..

Someone above mentioned a mouse with 7 buttons. I may go out and get one of those because If I can pretty much use most of my abilities with one hand and then dodging, moving around avoiding attks with the other hand, at least that would seem more smooth and better...  I'm at least trying to give the game a shot, but people do enjoy bashing others for not enjoying a feature they enjoy...

Rallithon Oakthornn
    (Retired Heirophant of the 60th season)