Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

anyone else think the combat left something to be desired?

justinopejustinope Member Posts: 46

I dunno, it just seems like I wanted so much to love this game (long time arenanet fan, gw1 was my first mmo) but for me  the problem was that the combat felt so incredibly unresponsive. Did anyone else feel this way? It just seems like there are barely any instant attacks at all along with a bunch of attacks with swing timers and such. It honestly reminds me of LOTRO's combat system which I loathe. 

I mean I could just be spoiled by TERA's awesomely responive combat system and trying to hold it to those (unrealistic?) standards. Everyone in my guild even said "wow really" at the tab targeting and I'm forced to agree with them.

Regardless though, what does everyone else think?

Comments

• VolkonVolkon Member UncommonPosts: 3,748

The only thing the combat left to be desired is more of it.

Man, what a fluid, responsive system they have going there. Once you start watching your foes for tells of big attacks you learn to use the right skills at the right times to mitigate or avoid damage and things really pick up.

Oderint, dum metuant.

• What class did you play?  I didn't feel this way AT ALL on Mesmer.  I don't recall any swing timers.

There is only one skill that I had this feeling with.  On the Greatsword there is one move where you slam the sword into the ground and its stabs your target at range.  Because of the animation it roots you for a moment and mess up movements.  On a long range weapon set this is a big NO- NO to me.

Staff, sword/pistol, sword/focusfelt  and scepter stuff all felt very responsive to me.

Edit: I guess technically the basic attack on staff has a "swing timer" in that is shows a cast bar but you can move and its just because all basic staff attacks like that are all slow by design for all the casters.  It didn't really matter to me as that was the sort of "auto attack" and it never interfered with my other skills.

• GuelyGuely Member Posts: 114

No, I loved the GW2 combat.

I played Tera in every BWE and I wouldn't call it fluid. Fun, sure, but it's got nothing on GW2.

• VelocinoxVelocinox Member UncommonPosts: 1,010

Originally posted by Volkon
    The only thing the combat left to be desired is more of it.

Yea I am looking forward to new weapon skills, like 2 handed axe, flail, polearms, etc.

'Sandbox MMO' is a PTSD trigger word for anyone who has the experience to know that anonymous players invariably use a 'sandbox' in the same manner a housecat does.

When your head is stuck in the sand, your ass becomes the only recognizable part of you.

No game is more fun than the one you can't play, and no game is more boring than one which you've become familiar.

How to become a millionaire:
    Start with a billion dollars and make an MMO.

• RemyVorenderRemyVorender Member RarePosts: 3,991
    GW2's combat is ok, but I think in their current states, TERA wins hands down. I'm not sure if I like weapon switching in combat. We'll see if it grows on me. Overall, GW2's combat is pretty sloppy and clunky atm. I'm sure they'll clean it up though.

Joined - July 2004

• merieke82merieke82 Member Posts: 165

I had a similar experience as the OP.

I tried every class both in PvE and PvP and noticed that there was an ability delay. There was a .5-.75 second delay before instants would fire or a channeled ability would start.

After practice you sort of just account for it and it doesn't become a big deal. I'm still not entirely certain if this is an intended mechanic or a weekend stability issue. All MMOs handle combat differently. You can allow abilities to fire the animation instantly and then let the server catch up so that it looks fluid, or you can wait until you get a server response before letting it animate.

Does anyone have insight into how GW2 handles combat and whether the results from this weekend were expected?

• heartlessheartless Member UncommonPosts: 4,993

I like the combat in both games but prefer GW2's take on it. It's much faster, much more brutal and very dynamic. You switch weapons on the fly and a melee opponent can become a ranged one in a split second. There is also a bit more feedback during combat and when you hit a mob and send it flying, it just feels so good. At one point I was running randomly hitting mobs with a rifle butt, it's was a blast.

It does have issues and melee does require a bit of tweaking but the good thing is that this is still beta and what we experienced during the BWE is not final. Also, the devs are listening and are working on solutions, as is evident by the recent posts on the official forums.

• Originally posted by remyburke

GW2's combat is ok, but I think in their current states, TERA wins hands down. I'm not sure if I like weapon switching in combat. We'll see if it grows on me. Overall, GW2's combat is pretty sloppy and clunky atm. I'm sure they'll clean it up though.

Wow, you aren't sure you like weapon switching?

Without weapon switching I would have been like 25-50% less effective.  You if you aren't weapon switching properly I don't think you really fully evaluated what you can do in combat.

It like saying you don't like trying to hit baseballs with a bat because you only swing it with one hand.

• RemyVorenderRemyVorender Member RarePosts: 3,991

Originally posted by gestalt11

Originally posted by remyburke

Wow, you aren't sure you like weapon switching?

Without weapon switching I would have been like 25-50% less effective.  You if you aren't weapon switching properly I don't think you really fully evaluated what you can do in combat.

It like saying you don't like trying to hit baseballs with a bat because you only swing it with one hand.

Ya, like I said, it'll have to grow on me. i was doing it, because I noticed the increase in output, but I often use weapons to define my character. Having to juggle weapons just to be effective isn't something I'm thrilled about.

Joined - July 2004

• Rhianni32Rhianni32 Member Posts: 222

The combat was incredible and I had a lot of fun with it. 

Tab targetting is not required. Not sure how many times I died because something got in the way of one of my attacks lol

• pielkorpielkor Member Posts: 24

I tried tera, for me, the gameplay was to linear..the fps style is good but honestly it s not enough, the rest of the game is so classic and predictable (classes and skills) :/

I tried GW2,(I played 3 beta so I spent more than 60hours in game)  and it was a revolution for me .. the dodge system + switch weapon system( I love the 4  attunements of elem, u can perpetually switch depending of the sitation ) + the reactivity of the skills (like gw1) make the combats so fun and intense .. U have to focus, alone or in group, or u die  !  

I think u missed something ;D

• ZylaxxZylaxx Member Posts: 2,574

Originally posted by justinope

I dunno, it just seems like I wanted so much to love this game (long time arenanet fan, gw1 was my first mmo) but for me  the problem was that the combat felt so incredibly unresponsive. Did anyone else feel this way? It just seems like there are barely any instant attacks at all along with a bunch of attacks with swing timers and such. It honestly reminds me of LOTRO's combat system which I loathe. 

I mean I could just be spoiled by TERA's awesomely responive combat system and trying to hold it to those (unrealistic?) standards. Everyone in my guild even said "wow really" at the tab targeting and I'm forced to agree with them.

Its prolly your lag or ping or maybe your computer sucks.

Other then a few hours on Friday and Saturday I did not lag at all and had no problem with the combat.  In fact I felt the combat and animations were on par with WoW and was as fluid and responsive of a combat system as one can get.

Everything you need to know about Elder Scrolls Online

Playing: GW2
    Waiting on: TESO
    Next Flop: Planetside 2
    Best MMO of all time: Asheron's Call - The first company to recreate AC will be the next greatest MMO.

• udonudon Member UncommonPosts: 1,803

Overall I think I prefer the way GW2's combat flows over Tera.  Tera just seems to stop and go to me for some reason.

I did like the way Tera used the mouse in combat to control where you looked over GW2's.  I found it much easier to keep facing the mob in Tera than in GW2's.  Maybe that's  a menu option I just missed however.

• tixylixtixylix Member UncommonPosts: 1,288
    Yeah I didn't like combat either as it felt unresponsive, WoW is still the genre best.
  • nezbelnezbel Member UncommonPosts: 47
    I did like the gameplay but I do think several things still need to be tightened up in the game. I noticed I got a small delay on a lot of things unless I turned my graphics down to the lowest possible then I would get better responses. My system is pretty nice and I can run Tera and other high graphic games on their highest settiings without any issues but GW2 lagged and drop my FPS horriblly in a lot of places if I wasn't looking at the floor the whole time. I think most unresponsiveness we've seen is from the game not being completely optimized yet. Hopefully we'll see better play in up coming builds.
  • KostKost Member CommonPosts: 1,975

I loved the combat, so did the buddy that was ingame with me.

Frankly, we enjoyed everything the game had to offer. It was worth dealing with the login errors and such on day one, everything that came after was pure gold.

• komobokomobo Member Posts: 144

It's funny, because i had the exact same opinion of Tera's combat that you do of GW2. The constant stop-and-go 'action' i experienced during the Tera CB and how it seemingly ruined the sense of dynamic gameplay, left me wishing the devs had done a better job at implementing true action combat. But that's what the devs opted for and that's the way it's going to be, there really is nothing more to it.

And no matter, we both "win" as we get to play the game we enjoy :)

* Waves at Pushkina *

• JupstoJupsto Member UncommonPosts: 2,075
    Yeah wanted crosshair targeting BADLY and reduction of the over the top spell effects to make the game lag less in big fights and so I can actually see whats going on.

My blog: image

• Creslin321Creslin321 Member Posts: 5,359

There are some "hinky" animation issues, like how a thief will come to a compelte stop before firing leaping death blossom if you are running.  And these really need to be fixed.

Other than that though, I really liked GW2's combat.  For people whining about "slow" animation times.  Think about this...

That slow animation time is a tell.  When you are fighting another player, when you see them prep a big swing, it gives you a split second to dodge away.  It greatly increases the amount of skill that can potentially be involved in combat.

If all animations were instant or super-fast, dodging and manuevering would be  essentially random luck.  You would have no clue if your enemy was about to unleash a big attack...you would just be dodging with the hopes of escaping.

All this said, there ARE certain skills that are instant cast like lightning strike.  But these skills can't really be spammed and typically aren't as powerful as non-instant cast skills.

Anyway, I think one big issue people have is that nearly everything in GW2 is mobile.  And in other MMORPGs, you can only cast an instant cast spell if you are moving.  So it kind of seems like everything you do while moving should be instant cast, but this just isn't the case in GW2.  Normal cast-time spells can be cast while moving just fine...I think it's something we just have to get used to.

Are you team Azeroth, team Tyria, or team Jacob?

• Sector13Sector13 Member UncommonPosts: 784
    Not a single person in my gaming group enjoyed the combat of GW2. Only one of them found the game not complete disappointing. 
  • Creslin321Creslin321 Member Posts: 5,359

Originally posted by Consensus

Yeah wanted crosshair targeting BADLY and reduction of the over the top spell effects to make the game lag less in big fights and so I can actually see whats going on.

I agree with you about the spell effects.

When there were even like five people hitting the same mob, I seriously had no clue what was going on.  And in events with like 30 people, it's just random chaos. There should be a way to seriously tone down effects from other players.

Are you team Azeroth, team Tyria, or team Jacob?

• BigHatLoganBigHatLogan Member Posts: 688

Originally posted by justinope

For PVP I only did WvWvW but I never pressed Tab to target anything.  You don't need to.  It reminded me more of AoC's combat which is btw really really good(aside from some issues with the combo system).  Your sword swings hit whoever is in range and can hit multiple people.  I guess if you were using single target ranged attacks and needed to coordinate fire on a single target tab might be useful, but in mass pvp AoE's seemed to be the way to go anyway.  I also liked TERA's combat system, however other issues will keep me from buying TERA.

Are you a Pavlovian Fish Biscuit Addict? Get Help Now!
    I will play no more MMORPGs until somethign good comes out!

• SikhanderSikhander Member UncommonPosts: 220

GW2 has hands down been the most responsive client in beta that I have played. The responsiveness is release worthy right now.

The poster above me speaks about FPS which is a completely different beef and it has nothing to do with responsiveness. When it comes to FPS ANet has optimization to do for sure and that aspect is 80%+ of the factor right now whether they have a smashing success in their hands or not at release imo.

Back to responsiveness: The ping was very low the entire Sunday once they had shifted out the server code during the week end. It was good almost all the time during the Saturday but the servers suffered from lag spikes from time to time.

The animations flow close to perfectly from key press to action. Now - what alot of people MISS COMPLETELY with GW2 is that there is no GCD. None. Zilch. Zippo. What this means is that all your abilities have either ability CDs, cast time or both. This allows for some superb burst for those that realize this - but it also means that there is no pacer/set frequency. It also means that you can interrupt casts by button mashing. There is no GCD to save you when you do that.

Net-net: The absence of a fixed key press pacing/frequency results in a lot of people not finding rythm since we are so used to this due to WoW. Personally I love that the GCD is out since it is just an artificial pacing mechanism and it creates a whole new layer in both PvE and PvP.

TL:DR The GW2 client has fantastic responsiveness. Completely on par with WoW. The lack of GCD however means that there is no set frequency of abilities. Do not mistake that for lack of responsiveness however - that is a whole new dimension of how to play the game.

• komobokomobo Member Posts: 144

Originally posted by Sector13

Not a single person in my gaming group enjoyed the combat of GW2. Only one of them found the game not complete disappointing. 

Trolling the Tera sub-forum not as rewarding as it used to be? Ah well no matter, onwards to the next MMO on the radar, right?

* Waves at Pushkina *

• IzkimarIzkimar Member UncommonPosts: 568
    Any large delay felt especially with instant skills was because of the server lag issues, when it got cleared after a day in for me I was able to see no delay in my skills at all.  Now there are still some cast timer skills, and a few skills in the game that root you in place.  I can say this though, the skills that root you in place kind of like Hundred Blades on the Warrior are meant to be hard to set up and dangerous to use, because they do a crap ton of damage to anyone in range of your sword.  It's a nice risk/reward mechanic.