Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

It's being called "The GW2 Effect".

Comments

• RebelScum99RebelScum99 Member Posts: 1,090

Originally posted by Volkon

I've fallen victim to it, on the official forums a good many others have... the sudden lack of desire to play any other MMOs altogether. I noticed this before most others for reasons that may or may not be still under NDA, I'm not sure, but it resulted in the cancellation of three Eve Online accounts and prior to that a WoW account. Without a doubt, the world to me is so much more alive, the system so much more immersive, the combat so much more enthralling (I tried to double-tap dodge in TF2 earlier today) that other games, even TF2 just now, fall flat.

So... how you doin'?

Actually, it's called the "Every Single New MMO That People Enjoy Effect."  This isn't a GW2-only phenomenon.  This happens with every new game.  Now let's just step back to reality for a bit.  

• NotoriousXNotoriousX Member UncommonPosts: 197
    same here...havent played SWTOR since beta...D3 it is till GW2 :)

Tormented echoes of a fallen Eden
    I longed for her beauty
    Yet from dust, she returned
    The dream, an enigma.... silent

• RemyVorenderRemyVorender Member RarePosts: 3,991
    I have that too, though for me it's called the TERA effect. Don't get me wrong, I'm still going to play the hell out of GW2, but TERA's combat IMO the best MMO combat ever. I've been doing this a long time...started with EQ1 back in 98 in my early 20s. I've play pretty much every MMO there is (yes i have a problem heheh). I'm really hoping GW2 shows great improvement from this past BWE, because combat was the biggest letdown of the game for me. Everything else was great.

Joined - July 2004

• NotoriousXNotoriousX Member UncommonPosts: 197

Originally posted by remyburke

I have that too, though for me it's called the TERA effect. Don't get me wrong, I'm still going to play the hell out of GW2, but TERA's combat IMO the best MMO combat ever. I've been doing this a long time...started with EQ1 back in 98 in my early 20s. I've play pretty much every MMO there is (yes i have a problem heheh). I'm really hoping GW2 shows great improvement from this past BWE, because combat was the biggest letdown of the game for me. Everything else was great.

is it true that once you enter combat at TERA with a mob you cant leave? its like its creating a small instance for you? if thats the case...FAIL :P if not awesome!

Tormented echoes of a fallen Eden
    I longed for her beauty
    Yet from dust, she returned
    The dream, an enigma.... silent

• lokiboardlokiboard Member UncommonPosts: 229

Originally posted by lonewolf1980

My 2 brothers and i loved the game. it's ran great for us. No crashes only 1 chat bug out of 3 days, and relog fixes everythings. This game will be the game of the year. GW2 is the ONLY fun game in the market that not a wow's clone game, we'll be playing in the next beta ( soon, i hope ) with alot of friends. Hope to see u all in game.

ps: Why are there so many hate threads about gw2? is it cool to hate everythings? it's must be cool to hate life, gw2, air, foods.

Its to counter punch the nauseating fanboi posts from the GW2 sales reps here going overboard....The Game is nothing NEW......Face it.....There are only so many ways the keyboard/mouse/controller can be utilized in a 2d/3d computer game...Other then jacking in (Strange Days ref.) Its going to be more of the same old same old.....I predict that sometime in the near future you people will realize this and be less inclined to jump on the bandwagons you hitch yourselves to.  Don't worry, like women(or men for the ladies on here) , another one will be around shortly.......image The pattern will repeat and?

• heartlessheartless Member UncommonPosts: 4,993

Originally posted by lokiboard

My 2 brothers and i loved the game. it's ran great for us. No crashes only 1 chat bug out of 3 days, and relog fixes everythings. This game will be the game of the year. GW2 is the ONLY fun game in the market that not a wow's clone game, we'll be playing in the next beta ( soon, i hope ) with alot of friends. Hope to see u all in game.

ps: Why are there so many hate threads about gw2? is it cool to hate everythings? it's must be cool to hate life, gw2, air, foods.

Its to counter punch the nauseating fanboi posts from the GW2 sales reps here going overboard....The Game is nothing NEW......Face it.....There are only so many ways the keyboard/mouse/controller can be utilized in a 2d/3d computer game...Other then jacking in (Strange Days ref.) Its going to be more of the same old same old.....I predict that sometime in the near future you people will realize this and be less inclined to jump on the bandwagons you hitch yourselves to.  Don't worry, like women(or men for the ladies on here) , another one will be around shortly.......image

If you honestly don't see what this game brings to the genre, you obviously have not played it. I'm not going to try to explain why you're wrong, it will be a wasted effort but needless to say, you are.

• lokiboardlokiboard Member UncommonPosts: 229

Originally posted by heartless

Its to counter punch the nauseating fanboi posts from the GW2 sales reps here going overboard....The Game is nothing NEW......Face it.....There are only so many ways the keyboard/mouse/controller can be utilized in a 2d/3d computer game...Other then jacking in (Strange Days ref.) Its going to be more of the same old same old.....I predict that sometime in the near future you people will realize this and be less inclined to jump on the bandwagons you hitch yourselves to.  Don't worry, like women(or men for the ladies on here) , another one will be around shortly.......image

If you honestly don't see what this game brings to the genre, you obviously have not played it. I'm not going to try to explain why you're wrong, it will be a wasted effort but needless to say, you are.

I played it and saw nothing new that hasn't been done in GW1 or other games......You can mix the leggos into different patterns all you like and delude yourself into thinking you have something new, but all you really have is leggos.....  Play more games and you'll see......

• moosecatlolmoosecatlol Member RarePosts: 1,530
    *snickers*
  • IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 18,719

I played it and saw nothing new that hasn't been done in GW1 or other games......You can mix the leggos into different patterns all you like and delude yourself into thinking you have something new, but all you really have is leggos.....  Play more games and you'll see......

No, no... it's all just electrons... everything is the same: Oatmeal and Creme Brule...just carbs...might as well just pour sugar in your mouth...

Nihilism rocks... oh wait, no it sucks too.... just like everything else

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

“Microtransactions? In a single player role-playing game? Are you nuts?” 
    ― CD PROJEKT RED

• karmathkarmath Member UncommonPosts: 904
    The level of fanboi in this thread is too high.
  • heartlessheartless Member UncommonPosts: 4,993

On the surface the games does seem similar to other MMOs, especially if you stopped playing before reaching level 5 or if you didn't pay attention to what's going on in the game. If you did, you'd realize just how dynamic this game is. There is a whole other layer of gameplay under the events: the NPCs. Most people overlook them but they actually have meaning in this game. And I'm not talking about quest givers or vendors. I'm talking about random NPCs, which in other games would be window dressing, actually have a purpose in GW2.

A lot of the things the ANet is trying with GW2 is new to the genre. Dynamic NPCs that are actually part of the world do not exist in any other MMO to date. A lot of them actually have routines like in Skyrim. Events which lead into other events based on the outcome or have lasting impact on the zones have not been done in other MMOs. The game also places a huge emphasis on exploration, which hasn't really been done in MMOs. There are also a lot of secrets and puzzles that are absent from most MMOs. And that's just the PvE side of things.

As far as PvP goes, the simple fact that you can swap weapons in the middle of a fight and and become basically a totally different class has not been done in MMOs either.

At the same time, at least of the surface, the game is familiar enough as to not to confuse new players. Which is what you used to make your decision.

• atziluthatziluth Member UncommonPosts: 1,190

Its to counter punch the nauseating fanboi posts from the GW2 sales reps here going overboard....The Game is nothing NEW......Face it.....There are only so many ways the keyboard/mouse/controller can be utilized in a 2d/3d computer game...Other then jacking in (Strange Days ref.) Its going to be more of the same old same old.....I predict that sometime in the near future you people will realize this and be less inclined to jump on the bandwagons you hitch yourselves to.  Don't worry, like women(or men for the ladies on here) , another one will be around shortly.......image The pattern will repeat and?

What is the point of your response? It contributes nothing. If you have no interest in the game and get nauseated by people posting positive reactions in the GW2 general forum... simply move on. 

-Atziluth-

- Never underestimate the predictability of stupidity.

• sanshi44sanshi44 Member UncommonPosts: 1,187

Originally posted by Zylaxx

I've fallen victim to it, on the official forums a good many others have... the sudden lack of desire to play any other MMOs altogether. I noticed this before most others for reasons that may or may not be still under NDA, I'm not sure, but it resulted in the cancellation of three Eve Online accounts and prior to that a WoW account. Without a doubt, the world to me is so much more alive, the system so much more immersive, the combat so much more enthralling (I tried to double-tap dodge in TF2 earlier today) that other games, even TF2 just now, fall flat.

So... how you doin'?

Going through withdrawals as we speak.  I doubt I could ever play any other MMO with GW2 so close on the horizon.  It literally gives me goosebumps thinking of all the fun I had over the last 3 days.

I know right, just cant wait it felt like forever since the beta finished and the next event isnt tomorrow so it to far away.

• CromicaCromica Member UncommonPosts: 657

Originally posted by mcburly

Mine is more of a dissapointment in how much I didnt enjoy myself in GW2 over the weekend. Just like every mmo, it has been overhyped and its another run of the mill mmo. Pass

Well good for you, IMO its the most fun game to come out in the last 7 years and its not even out yet.

• AdiarisAdiaris Member CommonPosts: 381

Originally posted by RebelScum99

So... how you doin'?

Actually, it's called the "Every Single New MMO That People Enjoy Effect."  This isn't a GW2-only phenomenon.  This happens with every new game.  Now let's just step back to reality for a bit.  

Actually, it doesn't. At least not for me (but to each their own, for sure).

This is the first time in YEARS i genuinely had a BLAST playing an MMO and couldn't unglue myself from my computer the entire weekend.

So yes, I'm a victim and it sucks to be me/us while I/we wait!

• evolver1972evolver1972 Member Posts: 1,118

You can hit people repeatedly with the truth 2x4 and they still won't get it.  They'll just be mad you hit them with a 2x4 and the point will pass them completely.  Especially if they already hated the truth, or 2x4's.

You want me to pay to play a game I already paid for???

Be afraid.....The dragons are HERE!

• Sector13Sector13 Member UncommonPosts: 784

Originally posted by mcburly

Mine is more of a dissapointment in how much I didnt enjoy myself in GW2 over the weekend. Just like every mmo, it has been overhyped and its another run of the mill mmo. Pass

I'm with you. Coming from the PSO2 beta to GW2's beta was such a huge let down. I haven't felt that bad when playing a new game for a long time. 

• CrunkJuice2CrunkJuice2 Member Posts: 568

people like OP

are the same people who quit swtor after there free month and made there obligiatory "im unsubbing and heres the reason why".heres a little tip for people,mmos rarely ever live up 100 percent to the hype they get

sw tor never did.and i doubt gw2 will,the only difference is.theres no sub fee for guild wars 2,so it wont matter if the game flops because its not like your paying monthly anyway

• Chrome1980Chrome1980 Member Posts: 511
    Everytime a beta ends of an MMO you see similar topics... i saw same threads for Aion, Rift, Swtor etc.
  • eyceleycel Member Posts: 1,334
    Just watching everyones streams and not having pre-purchased Its worse for us I would imagine.  It does look to be somthing special, the WvW looked really epic, cant wait to jump in and start pvp'n.

"If you honestly don't see what this game brings to the genre, you obviously have not played it."

it doesnt really bring anything new to the genre,the dodge system.yeah,that was in mmos already,all i see with gw2 is just awaiting another hypefest and laughing when the game ends up tanking after a month

but hey,dont get me wrong.ill give the game a shot,but arenanet didnt really learn anything when they looked at previous mmos with sw tor.hype doesnt sell a good mmo,quality content does

Originally posted by Chrome1980

Everytime a beta ends of an MMO you see similar topics... i saw same threads for Aion, Rift, Swtor etc.

people actually liked swtor beta? i thought everyone trashed it and thats where the whole wow in space thing originated

• ValkaernValkaern Member UncommonPosts: 497

That's all well and good, but I think many people are just glad to finally see those legos arranged in a new and creative way that's, for many, just all together fun for a change. We've been looking at the same lego structure for years (as well as sloppy lego structures that tried to imitate one particular structure). I've personally been jaded and disappointed with almost everything since EQ, so to actually have fun in an MMO after so long is very refreshing.

If curmudgeons need to hate on that they're more than welcome to, nothings for everyone. For me it's a relief to feel something other than disgust towards what MMOs have become, so I'm going to enjoy that while it lasts, whether it's just a few months or longer. I'm sure I'll be back on the other side of the fence at some point in the future (hopefully far in the future), and I'm sure that when I am I'll miss the feeling of actually enjoting something, so I might as well make the most of this while it lasts. :) 

Also, anyone who's expecting more than just 'Legos arranged differently', might be looking in the wrong place. Like scenes in movie or words in a book, there are only so many way's to interact with and arrange a video game. Yet we're all completely aware that there are still GOOD books (even after centuries of arrangement) and bad books, GOOD films and bad films, depending on taste. 

I'm not going to say a book was bad because it just had rearranged words in it, that'd be naive. And likewise it'd be foolish to draw the same comparison with games.

• SenadinaSenadina Member UncommonPosts: 896
    I played a little Aion today and it took me a few minutes to stop hitting "F" to loot.  And I wanted to move and double -tap, but restrained myself.

• wrightstufwrightstuf Member UncommonPosts: 659

wouldnt be so sure about that. people will play mmos they like for years

There's a guy named "Dave" that works in a UPS postal store not far from my house. He's has been playing his druid he started when the original EQ went live. Its been his only character in that game, and the only MMO he's ever played, and still plays it today. I go in there and chat with him now and then and i see EQ booted up on his laptop in the back, lol.