Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

It's being called "The GW2 Effect".

VolkonVolkon Member UncommonPosts: 3,748

I've fallen victim to it, on the official forums a good many others have... the sudden lack of desire to play any other MMOs altogether. I noticed this before most others for reasons that may or may not be still under NDA, I'm not sure, but it resulted in the cancellation of three Eve Online accounts and prior to that a WoW account. Without a doubt, the world to me is so much more alive, the system so much more immersive, the combat so much more enthralling (I tried to double-tap dodge in TF2 earlier today) that other games, even TF2 just now, fall flat.

So... how you doin'?

Oderint, dum metuant.

Comments

• SigilaeaSigilaea Member Posts: 317

Originally posted by Volkon

I've fallen victim to it, on the official forums a good many others have... the sudden lack of desire to play any other MMOs altogether. I noticed this before most others for reasons that may or may not be still under NDA, I'm not sure, but it resulted in the cancellation of three Eve Online accounts and prior to that a WoW account. Without a doubt, the world to me is so much more alive, the system so much more immersive, the combat so much more enthralling (I tried to double-tap dodge in TF2 earlier today) that other games, even TF2 just now, fall flat.

So... how you doin'?

I'll be playing 2 games for the foreseeable future: Tera and GW2. GW2 is for my exploration craving. Haven't had an itch this bad since WoW, and UO before that.

• AmjocoAmjoco Member UncommonPosts: 4,860
    Well I'm with you brother! I tried playing a little LOTRO today but couldn't, my mind kept thinking of GW2. Anyway, I did order Tera and should get it Friday. Hopefully by then some of your "GW2 Effect" will have worn off. ;)

Death is nothing to us, since when we are, Death has not come, and when death has come, we are not.

• ZylaxxZylaxx Member Posts: 2,574

So... how you doin'?

Going through withdrawals as we speak.  I doubt I could ever play any other MMO with GW2 so close on the horizon.  It literally gives me goosebumps thinking of all the fun I had over the last 3 days.

Everything you need to know about Elder Scrolls Online

Playing: GW2
    Waiting on: TESO
    Next Flop: Planetside 2
    Best MMO of all time: Asheron's Call - The first company to recreate AC will be the next greatest MMO.

• SuperDonkSuperDonk Member UncommonPosts: 759

I have it too, it kinda sucks.  I was really looking forward to Diablo 3, but now I know its just a place holder until GW2 is released. 

It's more fun watching GW2 youtube videos than to play any other game right now.

• gaeanprayergaeanprayer Member UncommonPosts: 2,341

I'm feeling it. I don't know that it isn't temporary, but I had a sub and it's been canceled. I've been playing f2ps as well, they're uninstalled. It's not that I don't like those games, I just find that as I get older, I begin to realize just what a HUGE waste of time video games are. I need to be so entertained by what I'm playing, that I can forget that fact. After that beta weekend, nothing is quite measuring up for me. 

Pity, I just dropped some money on a bunch of PS3 games last week, too. One's still in plastic. Couldn't be less interested.

I've actually *gasp* cleaned my house and picked up a book to read, for lack of anything better to do. Until the next beta, at least.

"Forums aren't for intelligent discussion; they're for blow-hards with unwavering opinions."

• heartlessheartless Member UncommonPosts: 4,993

Originally posted by Sigilaea

So... how you doin'?

I'll be playing 2 games for the foreseeable future: Tera and GW2. GW2 is for my exploration craving. Haven't had an itch this bad since WoW, and UO before that.

While I won't be playing TERA, I do agree with your second point. I loved both UO and WoW and played them for years. I now have the same feeling when it comes to GW2. This game litarally kept me glued to my computer for the whole weekend.

• mcburlymcburly Member Posts: 234
    Mine is more of a dissapointment in how much I didnt enjoy myself in GW2 over the weekend. Just like every mmo, it has been overhyped and its another run of the mill mmo. Pass

• tachiboitachiboi Member UncommonPosts: 30
    Tera satisfies my hardwork grinding to PvP and conquer worlds while GW2 satisfies my story driven adventurous multiplayer coop personality along with team based large scale wars.
  • grimm6thgrimm6th Member Posts: 973

I have had it since september 2nd 2010.

I used to TL;DR, but then I took a bullet point to the footnote.

• Kaisen_DexxKaisen_Dexx Member UncommonPosts: 326
    Yeah. Withdrawl's a b*tch.
  • IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 18,719

Yeah I know what you mean.

GW2 has many new ideas and implementations that make the traditional gear-grind MMOs feel even more stale than they already were. Don't get me wrong, I'm no theme-park hater but I do get bored and appreciate new mechanics and the new little touches.

The full experience and loot dropping individually for everyone who contributes to a kill is such a simple concept. It encourages helping and makes you wonder why no one else has done it before. They say that simple solutions are a hallmark of genius and this tiny little thing is right up there. I bet it won't be long before this becomes standard in all MMOs.

I did try Terra a week ago and although it has gorgeous graphics and their own version of dodging etc., it felt very traditional in most ways but I might just do that while I'm waiting.

The only other upcoming game that interests me is the Secret World--both the non-standard present day theme and the no class ability wheel system. I may just get that one as well.

But whatever I do, I know I won't go for the 6-month or even 3-month deals for anything new since I know I'll drop whatever I'm doing and play GW2 when it's released.

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

“Microtransactions? In a single player role-playing game? Are you nuts?” 
    ― CD PROJEKT RED

• evolver1972evolver1972 Member Posts: 1,118

I've had the shakes, vomiting, etc.  I can't sleep, I can't eat.  Please ArenaNet, release soon so I can get my fix!

Seriously though, I haven't tried playing LotRO yet - or any other game (GW1 even), but I'm not looking forward to anything besides GW2 at this point.  That even includes Skyrim and I was thoroughly addicted to that thing.

You want me to pay to play a game I already paid for???

Be afraid.....The dragons are HERE!

• kanezfankanezfan Member UncommonPosts: 482

I have it too.

• warchantwarchant Member Posts: 69

I didn't do the Beta, but I today I watched some vids of the WvWvW action.

It's the first time I have layed my eyes on a system that rivals DAOC's RvR!

I have GWS (Guild War Syndrome) now too, and I caught it through a video, not even direct contact!

I will PO for the next Beta Weekend, for sure.

• SkymourneSkymourne Member UncommonPosts: 380

So... how you doin'?

yeah i felt the exact same way.  All i have is my new background from a screenshot, but it'll do.  I logged into EvE to learn drone's level 5 and logged off (haven't been playing long).  On the other hand i do have D3 coming, but i logged into the last day of the beta today and felt the same way and logged out, but i'm sure i'll be fine by May 15th.  Never really thought about it, but yeah, it definitely had an impact on me this weekend for sure.  Crazy stuff.

• IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 18,719

Originally posted by warchant

I'm an old DAoC fan from way back....was there at the beginning and RvR'd for a good 18 months. (Guinevere Albion)

I was there this weekend and WvW was like that old RvR with 2012 graphics + many added touches: much bigger main keeps, thinly protected supply depots to take, supply mules to protect, easier siege weapon construction. We didn't even get to see some of the other features like keep claiming by guilds etc. that will be there whem it's not a rushed weekend.

I also played Warhammer where they tried to replicate RvR but blew it. This is the ral thing. The 2012 spiritual successor to DAoC RvR done right. Loved every minute of it.

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

“Microtransactions? In a single player role-playing game? Are you nuts?” 
    ― CD PROJEKT RED

• KostKost Member CommonPosts: 1,975

I'm a victim of the "effect".

As an example, I was a massive SWTOR fan, I currently have 4 50s on Ajunta Pall. I played daily and enjoyed the game very much.

After playing this BWE I have almost zero motivation to log back into SWTOR.

• Ir1shguyIr1shguy Member UncommonPosts: 84

Originally posted by warchant

I didn't do the Beta, but I today I watched some vids of the WvWvW action.

I have GWS (Guild War Syndrome) now too, and I caught it through a video, not even direct contact!

I will PO for the next Beta Weekend, for sure.

Make sure its a pre-purchase you do and not a pre-order as only the pre-purchase guarantees beta access.

• <taps a vein> Itchin' to play some more GW2. I haven't enjoyed myself that much in an MMO in years. TERA will keep me going, but not for long I suspect. Diablo 3 will help a bit...but...it's not the same.

• This happened to me before GW2.

GW2 is the only MMO I can say I honestly want to play.  Other MMOs ruined me on themselves though.  GW2 did not ruin me for other MMOs.

• NethermancerNethermancer Member Posts: 520

I had a BLAST in the beta this weekend.

I havnt said that about an MMO in at least a year,

Playing: PO, EVE
    Waiting for: WoD
    Favourite MMOs: VG, EVE, FE and DDO
    Any person who expresses rage and loathing for an MMO is preposterous. He or she is like a person who has put on full armor and attacked a hot fudge sundae.

• ButregenyoButregenyo Member UncommonPosts: 483

There is this weird feeling inside me after the beta. A gap, an abyss formed in me, it feels wierd, the battle music is playing loudly in my head, i tried new builds for my guardian and ranger in my dream last night. I want to help those hearts out there. 

this is my story...

ops

• drakaenadrakaena Member UncommonPosts: 506

Originally posted by gaeanprayer

I'm feeling it. I don't know that it isn't temporary, but I had a sub and it's been canceled. I've been playing f2ps as well, they're uninstalled. It's not that I don't like those games, I just find that as I get older, I begin to realize just what a HUGE waste of time video games are. I need to be so entertained by what I'm playing, that I can forget that fact. After that beta weekend, nothing is quite measuring up for me. 

Pity, I just dropped some money on a bunch of PS3 games last week, too. One's still in plastic. Couldn't be less interested.

I've actually *gasp* cleaned my house and picked up a book to read, for lack of anything better to do. Until the next beta, at least.

this really sums up my feelings. well said.

• sk8chalifsk8chalif Member UncommonPosts: 666

i been trying to log back into wow to play my warrior.The moment i entered i logged out lol

Now i dunno what to do.

i will be editing all my footage i took during beta and then play d3 on may 15. until gw2 .

~The only opinion that matters is your own.Everything else is just advice,~

• lonewolf1980lonewolf1980 Member UncommonPosts: 89

My 2 brothers and i loved the game. it's ran great for us. No crashes only 1 chat bug out of 3 days, and relog fixes everythings. This game will be the game of the year. GW2 is the ONLY fun game in the market that not a wow's clone game, we'll be playing in the next beta ( soon, i hope ) with alot of friends. Hope to see u all in game.

ps: Why are there so many hate threads about gw2? is it cool to hate everythings? it's must be cool to hate life, gw2, air, foods.