Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Anyone else bought GW1 just for the items?

NeverdyneNeverdyne Member Posts: 167
I admit it, I liked GW2 so much, that I bought GW1 just to get the Hall of Monuments items and titles. Anyone else did it? I wonder what's the fastest way to get all 50 points, at least 30. 

Comments

• KaeriganKaerigan Member Posts: 689
    I did, but I sucked so bad at the game that I had to give up. Sadness.

<childish, provocative and highly speculative banner about your favorite game goes here>

• irpugbossirpugboss Member UncommonPosts: 427

I did as well, but other reasons aside from wanting shiney loot. I bought the game because I support ANet's business model, compared to subscription based games or true F2Ps. 

Long story short, I made a vote with my wallet to support the company. This vote was like buying stock in the company, and  instead of getting dividends I got some shiney digital items for GW2 plus a solid game/storyline in GW1.

• Mike-McQueenMike-McQueen Member UncommonPosts: 267
    It's actually a tough game and a long road to 30/50. I bought it two months ago and if my buddy hadn't given me tons of cash I'd still be around 7/50. Good luck though there's a couple 30/50 guides to look up if you want.

I'm a unique and beautiful snowflake.

• heartlessheartless Member UncommonPosts: 4,993

Originally posted by Neverdyne

I admit it, I liked GW2 so much, that I bought GW1 just to get the Hall of Monuments items and titles. Anyone else did it? I wonder what's the fastest way to get all 50 points, at least 30. 

Don't bother with 50 points. The grind is incredible hard and long.

30 points is perfectly doable though and should take 2-3 months if you're just starting out. You also get 3 points just for having a GW1 account so technically it's 27 points.

Start by reading this. It'll help you a lot.

• AmjocoAmjoco Member UncommonPosts: 4,860

Originally posted by Neverdyne

I bought GW1 a couple years ago and couldn't get into it. With everything going on with GW2 I thought I would try  GW1 again for the Hom like you. I am very impressed with the loyalty of the fans of GW1 and I'm sorry, I just could not get into the game. I do not know why but I couldn't. So, once again I put it on the shelf and I'm afraid that part of my achievements in GW2 will go untouched. :(

Death is nothing to us, since when we are, Death has not come, and when death has come, we are not.

• ariboersmaariboersma Member Posts: 1,802
    yup got my 30 pts and a lil more.. who knows I MAY get up to 35 pts someday :) GW1 is a great game but make sure you find a helpful bunch of ppl to answer your questions as you will have them. Also try not to start in Prophecies.. its harder and more borning than the other two. Last thing... wiki wiki wiki.. if you press F10 in game it will actually link you directly to the wiki and you can click my quest, mission or some basics.

• LeodiousLeodious Member UncommonPosts: 773

There is a guide on the wiki for how to do this most easily. It's pretty easy to get a fair few, but the time it takes does ramp up exponentially. I wouldn't recommend you do it unless you enjoy playing GW1. One thing in particular people might not like is needing to take parties of NPCs most places these days if you want to work on your monument stuff.

"There are two great powers, and they've been fighting since time began. Every advance in human life, every scrap of knowledge and wisdom and decency we have has been torn by one side from the teeth of the other. Every little increase in human freedom has been fought over ferociously between those who want us to know more and be wiser and stronger, and those who want us to obey and be humble and submit."

— John Parry, to his son Will; "The Subtle Knife," by Phillip Pullman

• n3verendRn3verendR Member UncommonPosts: 452

Hate GW1, love Arena Net. Am currently 29/30 and won't touch that last point till I get a release date.

Yes, I bought it to support arenanet and to get shinies.

People think it's fun to pretend your a monster. Me I spend my life pretending I'm not. - Dexter Morgan

• NeverdyneNeverdyne Member Posts: 167
    Thanks for all the info guys! It should really help. Seems you do have to commit quite some time and effort into it to get the shiny stuff, should while we wait for the release. 
  • XithrylXithryl Member UncommonPosts: 256
    I have been looking for someone interested in gaining some HoM stuff for GW2... I am down if you are, and anyone else, lets have fun with it!
  • natuxatunatuxatu Member UncommonPosts: 1,364
    Yes I did.. not going to try and get them all.. just the first couple so i have something.. :)

• Ice-QueenIce-Queen Member UncommonPosts: 2,483

I'm only working for the 30 point, just to kill time til GW2 comes out.

I'm sure when the game came out it was good, but it's aged and I find it very dull, soo boring I have almost fell asleep trying to play several times, lol. Can't wait to be done with this grind, lol.

What happens when you log off your characters????.....
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GFQhfhnjYMk
    Dark Age of Camelot

• fivorothfivoroth Member UncommonPosts: 3,916

I played GW1since release and I spent well over 1.5k hours playing the game. You know what's funny though? When they released the HOM calculator I didn't even have 30 points and I had to spent quite some time getting that. Why? Because I played the PvE for fun and mostly played PvP but ArenaNet decided to not reward that.

Getting 30 points can take quite a bit of time especially if you're new and don't have a feel for the game and know nothing about it. Probably 2-3 months if you play regularly. You might still need some help. 

Don't even think of going for the 50 points. You will not get there :)

Originally posted by Tayah

I'm only working for the 30 point, just to kill time til GW2 comes out.

I'm sure when the game came out it was good, but it's aged and I find it very dull, soo boring I have almost fell asleep trying to play several times, lol. Can't wait to be done with this grind, lol.

Yes, when it came out the game was amazing. I don't think there was an MMO with better graphics at that time :)

Mission in life: Vanquish all MMORPG.com trolls - especially TESO, WOW and GW2 trolls.

• Cod_EyeCod_Eye Member UncommonPosts: 1,016

I'm at 17 points and I shall stay there, got my Moa for my Ranger, so I'm happy.  I spent all my plat on tickets other day and spent playing AFK for the lvl1 lucky title, went from 13k to 50k in under 10 hrs. I have 3 tabs of storage with gold weapons that I cant be bothered to spam the channels to sell and a few elite tomes.

• Ice-QueenIce-Queen Member UncommonPosts: 2,483

Got to level 20 and almost done with primary quests In Factions atm.

What happens when you log off your characters????.....
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GFQhfhnjYMk
    Dark Age of Camelot