Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

GW2 - Delivering what they promised?

Comments

• Cod_EyeCod_Eye Member UncommonPosts: 1,016

Originally posted by Djildjamesh

The game deliverd. It was bloody amazing. That said i have 2 complaints:

- Overflow servers:

concept is awesome, but when grouped up i kept being seperated from my GF. Suggestion: If there is no space in your homeserver put the entire group in the same overflow server please!  IF they do this, it'll be PERFECT :)

- Meta events:

I did 2 of them and they started out great and i was excited. first meta event started off with gathering some stuff and fighting of baddies and the 2nd one started off capuring towers with the help of a few NPC's. So far so good. But then a boss/elite spawned (kinda like the end-boss) and man, it turned to hell at that point. Just a massive zerg fest with people in  melee range getting 1 shotted. I was ranged tho but i ended up full time rezzing players haha. Anyway the final experience was kind of a let down to the rest of the event. And the rewards were kinda so-so.

I might skip the meta events during release since it was really the only part i disliked.

Players will get better at these, everyone wasnt really playing there roles properly and a lot of events were mainly zergfests as guilds havnt really got organized, the same thing was happening in WvW because people were learning to understand the mechanics of the game rather than understanding what they should be doing in their role, It was Sunday before I realised I should of been using all the elements with my staff instead of just using fire all the time and learnt that some mobs took more or less damage depending on what element I was using.  We were all noobs but we will all learn together.

• DjildjameshDjildjamesh Member UncommonPosts: 406

Originally posted by biggarfoot

Originally posted by Djildjamesh

The game deliverd. It was bloody amazing. That said i have 2 complaints:

- Overflow servers:

concept is awesome, but when grouped up i kept being seperated from my GF. Suggestion: If there is no space in your homeserver put the entire group in the same overflow server please!  IF they do this, it'll be PERFECT :)

- Meta events:

I did 2 of them and they started out great and i was excited. first meta event started off with gathering some stuff and fighting of baddies and the 2nd one started off capuring towers with the help of a few NPC's. So far so good. But then a boss/elite spawned (kinda like the end-boss) and man, it turned to hell at that point. Just a massive zerg fest with people in  melee range getting 1 shotted. I was ranged tho but i ended up full time rezzing players haha. Anyway the final experience was kind of a let down to the rest of the event. And the rewards were kinda so-so.

I might skip the meta events during release since it was really the only part i disliked.

Players will get better at these, everyone wasnt really playing there roles properly and a lot of events were mainly zergfests as guilds havnt really got organized, the same thing was happening in WvW because people were learning to understand the mechanics of the game rather than understanding what they should be doing in their role, It was Sunday before I realised I should of been using all the elements with my staff instead of just using fire all the time and learnt that some mobs took more or less damage depending on what element I was using.  We were all noobs but we will all learn together.

i can only hope your right :p

and yes, switching elements during combat is something i def. need to improve on, but man it was fun ^^

• lathaanlathaan Member UncommonPosts: 476

as someone put it on massively.com:

GW2 is the second coming of the Messiah.

Its great and then some.

• komobokomobo Member Posts: 144

There is no denying the fact that GW2 still needs a good amount of polish in certain areas but we are in luck, release date has yet to be announced. In my experience the major issues were of a technical nature (server lag, performance), so i'm rather optimistic on that front.

With that said, i thoroughly enjoyed my time with GW2 and i'm eagerly awaiting next beta :)

* Waves at Pushkina *

• aesperusaesperus Member UncommonPosts: 5,135

Originally posted by Meowhead

Didn't seem to be a whole lot of shift in opinion from people.  Am I just missing all the mass amounts of threads where people legitimately changed their mind?

It seems like (except for obvious beta problems like stability and performance issues) Arenanet pretty much delivered the type of game systems they said they would, and it's only non-fans who feel burned in general (What?  This isn't a sandbox with dynamic randomized events and no zones and open world faction PvP in starter zones, like they promised they'd give us!), while most fans appear to have had relatively realistic understandings of what was being offered, and thought it was delivered on?

... am I confused on what's going on?  Because that's what it seemed like to me.  I've always known what dynamic events would offer, and what they were in the game was exactly what I expected, and I enjoyed them for all the reasons I thought I would.  I'm not surprised at all.

You're absolutely right, but it is somewhat confusing, tbh.

From what I saw, there was a lot of people dipping their feet in so they could say they went for a swim. I didn't hear a single person in game (and i started on one server, and transfered to Maguuma later, which was one of the most populated), who wasn't impressed with the game. Everyone seem to enjoy it to varying degrees. There were some issues, but people weren't denying that, they just weren't condeming the game because it has bugs in a beta.

On the forums, and on a few of the livestreams, it was like night & day. Not only did I see a lot of people trying to play this game like it was Wow 'wtf! this is stupid, look how much damage I'm taking' - as they stand there trading blows with a mob. I saw a lot of people judging this game like it was released, and not a beta. I saw a guy streaming WvW as a warrior, and charge a heavily fortified keep (with cannons, arrow carts, etc.), and I warned him not to go up there, but he charged in solo. Then I heard his stream (of the exact same event) saying 'see, warriors in this game are terrible and just get owned by archers'. I was just like 'wtf... are you kidding me?'.

To put it bluntly, it looked like there were enough people playing the game just so they could go 'hmmm.. lets see if this 'second coming' is everything it's cracked up to be.' and then immediately go 'ya.. this game isn't unrealistic, therefor it sucks'. Pretty absurd, tbh. I've even seen people posting here how 'beta was a disaster'. Really? I should go inform the other 100 thousands of people who were enjoying themselves.

- As people have been saying for almost a year now: The game won't be for everyone, but it's got everything it's promised. After playing beta, I don't think anyone can say that isn't true with anything to back it up.

• TyrokiTyroki Member UncommonPosts: 183

I went in with lowered hopes thanks to negative threads here, and came out pleasantly surprised.

I quite enjoyed my time in Guild Wars 2, both PVE and PVP.

Actually, what surprised me more was the fact that before going in the engineer looked like a crap class to me.

Coming out, despite it needing a balance boost, it was probably the most fun I had with any of the classes. I expect a lot to change by next BWE, and I'm interested to see what gets boosted, what gets nerfed, and what gets replaced or even simply done away with.

There is a lot of good suggestions floating around the beta forums across the board, and the devs are paying attention to all criticism.

MMO's played: Ragnarok Online (For years), WoW (for a few weeks only), Guild Wars, Lineage 2, Eve, Allods, Shattered Galaxy, 9 Dragons, City of Heroes, City of Villains, Star Trek Online (Got someone ELSE to pay for it), Champions Online (Someone else paid), Dofus, Dragonica, LOTRO, DDO and more... A LOT more. I've played good AND bad. The bad didn't last long. :P

• tankknattankknat Member UncommonPosts: 68
    Good thread OP, I must say ive never been a Guild Wars fan, dont know why just never liked it one bit... watched a few vids about GW2 and still felt the same way... mate gave me a beta key... Beta weekend came... Couldn't put the game down... The game is fantastic i loved pretty much everything about it, couldnt get to grips with the crafting but other than that, I think there onto a winner.
  • Chrome1980Chrome1980 Member Posts: 511

So I saw a lot of hate threads originally (When the beta was still going.).  Then after it ended, a lot of love threads (By mostly different people, obviously)

Looking at the various names of people starting threads, very few people actually shifted their position at all since the Beta weekend event.

Saw a lot of 'I used to be a fan of but beta made me hate it' threads started by people who have a history of hating GW2, or who had accounts with no posts abou GW2 (So apparently they loved it in some OTHER forum site, but were so ashamed of changing their mind they had to come to MMORPG.com to admit it)

Didn't seem to be a whole lot of shift in opinion from people.  Am I just missing all the mass amounts of threads where people legitimately changed their mind?

It seems like (except for obvious beta problems like stability and performance issues) Arenanet pretty much delivered the type of game systems they said they would, and it's only non-fans who feel burned in general (What?  This isn't a sandbox with dynamic randomized events and no zones and open world faction PvP in starter zones, like they promised they'd give us!), while most fans appear to have had relatively realistic understandings of what was being offered, and thought it was delivered on?

... am I confused on what's going on?  Because that's what it seemed like to me.  I've always known what dynamic events would offer, and what they were in the game was exactly what I expected, and I enjoyed them for all the reasons I thought I would.  I'm not surprised at all.

Too much speculation, assumptions and wish ful thinking going on in there. 

• Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441

Originally posted by vesuvias

I needs to be understood that those who really really HATE this game are likely from the faction that could not stand even one word of the manefesto. That is likely when thier hatred started.

This is admitiedly going to sound very pessimistic but my theory is it's not a hatred of a game (it's just a game after all) it's a hatred of an entire philosophy. They don't want a change of the old ways. They want to go back to the days of EQ1 when death penalties were harsh and acheivement meant something simply because no one else could put in the ridiculous amount of time required to acheive. Those games catered exclusively to thier abilities. They don't want an inclusive game that gets out of way and lets players play cooperatively. They want to be defined by who is excluded, by who isn't thier level, by who doesn't have the key ,etc. You can't be the top 1% without the other 99%. They need the others to play thier game. They need thier audience. So they will destroy and tear down any other game philosophy that caters to fun over thier chosen poison.

It's not about fun to them, it's about being a special snowflake. It's about EARNING that special snowflake title by playing harder and wasting more time than everyone else. They need a game that caters to thier specific ability set (copious amounts of free time). GW2 was never that game, they certianly don't want to play it nor do they want thier 99% to play it either.

I dunno that, most of the people who post angry posts about a new game (GW2, TOR, TSW, whatever) started with Wow.

I think it is more like they see MMOs like a sport and are rooting for one team, that means they must hate all  other games.

Some players are just dissapointed though, they imagined something completely different  for some reason and got upset, but most people really hating a game seems to make very little sense to me.

Rationa lpeople just think "dang, I wish that game would be more fun for me" and focuses on another game instead.

• DocDexterDocDexter Member UncommonPosts: 23
    I had certain expectations of the game based on information A-net had released and from watching gameplay videos, and I'm happy to confirm that those expectations were indeed fulfilled. It isn't a flawless game and there are some issues they need to work on when it comes to balance, scaling and performance, but I feel they're very much on the right track. This is the game for me.
  • timeraidertimeraider Member UncommonPosts: 865
    for me GW2 is worth the hype it created..ofc. depends on person but i love it after this awesome beta
    Ashes of Creation Referral link - Help me to help you!
    https://ashesofcreation.com/r/Y4U3PQCASUPJ5SED
  • goldiewilsongoldiewilson Member Posts: 90

Originally posted by Charlizzard

I don't think you're allowed to say positive things about GW2 in the GW2 forum because that apparently makes you a "fanboi" which means that you are unable to think critically or rationally, or at least that's what I've gathered.

However, if you "hated" the game or were "turned off by the hype" or "misled by ArenaNet" then you are a discriminating consumer.

Yes and dont forget to always hold GW2 up to the huge standard SWTOR set as well, always remark on how GW2 doesn't deliver the pillars or story, never mention TOR itself but bring up TOR features, well sorry, features TOR was supposed to have lol.  A good beginner post on the GW2 forums would be, ( What GW2 should learn from SWTOR) or ( End game must be made viable) anything that tries to scare people to death into thinking A. SWTOR was a good game to begin with or B. Gear loot progression is the only way to get sub numbers like WOW are a good start. Anything that deviates from the WOW clone norms of AOC, LOTR, WAR, TOR etc is a badly made game and must implement similar features, with a different skin and new raid bosses of course.

I guess if you were mislead by EA games into being conned into SWTOR, that makes you insightful eh? While were at it, lets pretend Pokket is a good gamer.

• PigozzPigozz Member UncommonPosts: 886

Originally posted by goldiewilson

Originally posted by Charlizzard

I don't think you're allowed to say positive things about GW2 in the GW2 forum because that apparently makes you a "fanboi" which means that you are unable to think critically or rationally, or at least that's what I've gathered.

However, if you "hated" the game or were "turned off by the hype" or "misled by ArenaNet" then you are a discriminating consumer.

Yes and dont forget to always hold GW2 up to the huge standard SWTOR set as well, always remark on how GW2 doesn't deliver the pillars or story, never mention TOR itself but bring up TOR features, well sorry, features TOR was supposed to have lol.  A good beginner post on the GW2 forums would be, ( What GW2 should learn from SWTOR) or ( End game must be made viable) anything that tries to scare people to death into thinking A. SWTOR was a good game to begin with or B. Gear loot progression is the only way to get sub numbers like WOW are a good start. Anything that deviates from the WOW clone norms of AOC, LOTR, WAR, TOR etc is a badly made game and must implement similar features, with a different skin and new raid bosses of course.

And dont forget to add into the post that fanboys are overhyping the game, saying it's the 2nd coming etc even tho you never saw anyone post that stuff and warn us about getting burned because we have unrealistic expectations

Then say that 5 man dungeon suck and the combat is just a button mashing

Oh and the nuclear argument is always the p2w cash shop, no matter what the cash shop sells ;))

Congrats you're now the cool "I-not-buying-the-hype-tho-I-bought-the-game-to-prove-myself-right guy" image

I think I actually spent way more time reading and theorycrafting about MMOs than playing them

• MeowheadMeowhead Member UncommonPosts: 3,716

Originally posted by timeraider

for me GW2 is worth the hype it created..ofc. depends on person but i love it after this awesome beta

That's the whole point.  So far, at least, it seems that the people who were called 'overhyped' mostly knew what they were talking about, and weren't completely delusional.

Partly because the people saying there was overhype were making up a point of view about GW2 that nobody had (Dynamic events aren't going to be totally random and generated procedurally by an AI!  ... .well.   ... yeah.  Nobody said they were going to be. :|  So when we saw the way dynamic events were, most people who researched the game were like 'oh yeah.  Basically what I expected')

• XzenXzen Member UncommonPosts: 2,607
    From what I experienced it was pretty much what I expected it to be. I also enjoyed it more than I thought I would.
  • fiontarfiontar Member UncommonPosts: 3,682

I needs to be understood that those who really really HATE this game are likely from the faction that could not stand even one word of the manefesto. That is likely when thier hatred started.

This is admitiedly going to sound very pessimistic but my theory is it's not a hatred of a game (it's just a game after all) it's a hatred of an entire philosophy. They don't want a change of the old ways. They want to go back to the days of EQ1 when death penalties were harsh and acheivement meant something simply because no one else could put in the ridiculous amount of time required to acheive. Those games catered exclusively to thier abilities. They don't want an inclusive game that gets out of way and lets players play cooperatively. They want to be defined by who is excluded, by who isn't thier level, by who doesn't have the key ,etc. You can't be the top 1% without the other 99%. They need the others to play thier game. They need thier audience. So they will destroy and tear down any other game philosophy that caters to fun over thier chosen poison.

It's not about fun to them, it's about being a special snowflake. It's about EARNING that special snowflake title by playing harder and wasting more time than everyone else. They need a game that caters to thier specific ability set (copious amounts of free time). GW2 was never that game, they certianly don't want to play it nor do they want thier 99% to play it either.

I completely agree with this. I even saw this effect in some of the suggestions on the beta forum by people who generally liked the game, but still wanted it to support their self centered competative philosophy. Thank goodness Arenanet it vehement that they will not abandon their game philosophy of fostering Heroic Cooperation and accessible game play that still provides challenge.

Want to know more about GW2 and why there is so much buzz? Start here: Guild Wars 2 Mass Info for the Uninitiated

• DistopiaDistopia Member EpicPosts: 21,183

That's the whole point.  So far, at least, it seems that the people who were called 'overhyped' mostly knew what they were talking about, and weren't completely delusional.

Partly because the people saying there was overhype were making up a point of view about GW2 that nobody had (Dynamic events aren't going to be totally random and generated procedurally by an AI!  ... .well.   ... yeah.  Nobody said they were going to be. :|  So when we saw the way dynamic events were, most people who researched the game were like 'oh yeah.  Basically what I expected')

(yellow) Informed people are by e-definition not overhyped, overhyped refers to people folowing something blindly.

(Orange) you essentially just did the same thing.

Many don't seem to realize that the overhyped are looked down on because they usually stir the most bile after release.

For every minute you are angry , you lose 60 seconds of happiness."-Emerson

• fiontarfiontar Member UncommonPosts: 3,682

This post made me smile. Yeah, the "hype" actually was real! Nothing was hype in place of substance, the ground truth matched the build up. We are all so used to marketing speak from MMO developers that many had trouble believing that what the developers were telling us was actually what the game would deliver. :)

Want to know more about GW2 and why there is so much buzz? Start here: Guild Wars 2 Mass Info for the Uninitiated

• RizelStarRizelStar Member UncommonPosts: 2,773

Originally posted by fiontar

This post made me smile. Yeah, the "hype" actually was real! Nothing was hype in place of substance, the ground truth matched the build up. We are all so used to marketing speak from MMO developers that many had trouble believing that what the developers were telling us was actually what the game would deliver. :)

Telling and showing fiontar don't forget that lol.

I might get banned for this. - Rizel Star.

I'm not afraid to tell trolls what they [need] to hear, even if that means for me to have an forced absence afterwards.

P2P LOGIC = If it's P2P it means longevity, overall better game, and THE BEST SUPPORT EVER!!!!!(Which has been rinsed and repeated about a thousand times)

Common Sense Logic = P2P logic is no better than F2P Logic.

• MeowheadMeowhead Member UncommonPosts: 3,716

Originally posted by Distopia

(yellow) Informed people are by e-definition not overhyped, overhyped refers to people folowing something blindly.

Many don't seem to realize that the overhyped are looked down on because they usually stir the most bile after release.

Yellow - notice I used the word 'called', and the use of quotes around overhyped.

Orange - Nah.  Plenty of people start threads saying things like there's absolutely nothing interesting or different about what GW2 is doing, and that anybody who is looking forward to it is overhyped.  I'm not making up a position, you just have to walk through threads and read them. :D

My position was, always has been, and still is, that a lot of the people who don't see any reason to look forward to GW2, don't see any reason for THEM to look forward to GW2, but are not willing to acknowledge that many of the people looking forward to it do so because they have specific things they want, that GW2 happens to be looking to deliver.

I happen to think that's an incredibly sane position.  Maybe you don't. :)  It explains a lot to me though, like how some people can look forward to a game and others can't.  Yes, I understand the concept of unrealistic expectations, but it's possible to have realistic expectations too.

Then you just pray the game company doesn't fuck up, but it isn't mandatory for game companies to fail, otherwise the game industry would be horrifying and nobody would ever play games.

• Creslin321Creslin321 Member Posts: 5,359

Originally posted by Distopia

Yellow - notice I used the word 'called', and the use of quotes around overhyped.

Orange - Nah.  Plenty of people start threads saying things like there's absolutely nothing interesting or different about what GW2 is doing, and that anybody who is looking forward to it is overhyped.  I'm not making up a position, you just have to walk through threads and read them. :D

My position was, always has been, and still is, that a lot of the people who don't see any reason to look forward to GW2, don't see any reason for THEM to look forward to GW2, but are not willing to acknowledge that many of the people looking forward to it do so because they have specific things they want, that GW2 happens to be looking to deliver.

I happen to think that's an incredibly sane position.  Maybe you don't. :)  It explains a lot to me though, like how some people can look forward to a game and others can't.  Yes, I understand the concept of unrealistic expectations, but it's possible to have realistic expectations too.

Then you just pray the game company doesn't fuck up, but it isn't mandatory for game companies to fail, otherwise the game industry would be horrifying and nobody would ever play games.

I'll back you up on the "Orange" statement.

There were PLENTY of people around here doing a "public service" by repeatedly warning us not to get overhyped, and telling us that we were only setting ourselves up for disappointment.  And oh yeah...telling us that GW2 won't be the second coming while we all wondered where they even got that second coming idea from.

I dunno, I think these guys probably saw one actually overhyped GW2 fan post something insane and then just figured all of us over here on the GW2 forum must suffer from the same kind of insanity, and then made it their mission to "save us" from our over-hypedness.

Are you team Azeroth, team Tyria, or team Jacob?

• RidelynnRidelynn Member EpicPosts: 7,383

I think this is an interesting thought, but I don't think it's entirely accurate.

I played EQ1 from about 2000 on. I still play it off and on now.

For some people, sure, it's about being in the 1%, and being able to lord over the rest of the players. Some people may play trying to get into that 1%, but I am positive that 99% don't play for that reason.

I played because the world was open. It rewarded me for my effort: if I wanted something, and I was willing to put in the effort (and often times part of that effort was convincing other people to help me), I could get it.

It wasn't about competing with other players - in fact, I really don't like PVP at all. It was about having a carrot, that was sufficiently challenging to acquire, and feeling a sense of accomplishment in achieving that because it was sufficiently challenging enough.

I have never felt such an sense of achievement in any other game - and just for what amounts to virtual pixels reprensenting a database entry. I will never forget the day I got my 1.0, or 1.5, or 2.0, nor all the friends that helped me along the way. There were a lot of not-so-fun things about EQ1 (grinding at static camps for hours on end to get one more AA), but there are more memories and friendships than sour grapes about mechanics or deficiencies.

The sense of accomplishment is what I have missed in nearly every MMO since. It was never about being in the 1%. I know more players in WoW that need that particular "Being the Best at any expense" than I ever did in EQ.

Having only played GW2 for about 2 hours last weekend (I had family over) - I can't say if it fulfills this longing or not - but I can say I had a lot of fun. GW2 even successfully emulated the long-standing west bug, which made me laugh (and cringe). I didn't even notice my levels until I was trying to continue my personal story, and realized I was about 5 levels under the recommended for the quest.

• sidhaethesidhaethe Member Posts: 861

It's funny... while we were standing around in the Wayfarer Hillside overflow (#?) waiting for the BWE finale event to start, we were all looking up and comparing how long we'd each spent in game over the weekend. Somebody commented in /local how odd that was, and remarked, "aren't we supposed to be talking about WoW and other MMOs in general chat?" And I realized that was the first time I had seen anyone mention WoW, or any other game, for the entire weekend. (no, not even the fictional GW2 fanbois people so love to malign had anything to say about other MMOs, even to slam them)

I played in Rift open betas from October through February and even it wasn't immune to the occasional WoW chatter (and I thought that was a very strong OB period). SWTOR fared far worse in its OB weekends. And I had to turn off local in TERA after an hour of play from all the smack talk.

Those talking about escalation of commitment forget that ANet was giving out free beta keys at PAX, 3 to a person, and core testers were given free keys to hand out as well. Oh, and there's that little matter of select people being invited out of the 1 million signups.

• DjildjameshDjildjamesh Member UncommonPosts: 406

Originally posted by sidhaethe

It's funny... while we were standing around in the Wayfarer Hillside overflow (#?) waiting for the BWE finale event to start, we were all looking up and comparing how long we'd each spent in game over the weekend. Somebody commented in /local how odd that was, and remarked, "aren't we supposed to be talking about WoW and other MMOs in general chat?" And I realized that was the first time I had seen anyone mention WoW, or any other game, for the entire weekend. (no, not even the fictional GW2 fanbois people so love to malign had anything to say about other MMOs, even to slam them)

I played in Rift open betas from October through February and even it wasn't immune to the occasional WoW chatter (and I thought that was a very strong OB period). SWTOR fared far worse in its OB weekends. And I had to turn off local in TERA after an hour of play from all the smack talk.

Those talking about escalation of commitment forget that ANet was giving out free beta keys at PAX, 3 to a person, and core testers were given free keys to hand out as well. Oh, and there's that little matter of select people being invited out of the 1 million signups.

yes i noticed this too.

That being said. I spend VERY little time in cities and was mostly outside enjoying the wonderfull world of tyria.  And don't forget that the local chat wasn't zone wide so their might have been WoW chatter but we just weren't close enough :p

but honestly i think people were too busy enjoying the game to talk about WoW. Personally i did compare it to allot of MMO's i've played thinking many things are done better in gw2. Some stuff i preferred in other MMO's but overall it was a good experience

• MMOExposedMMOExposed Member RarePosts: 7,387
    I wasn't expecting much in terms of events. But they marketing talk could get to a few people that may feel mislead. I wasn't hyped by it, so I didn't feel disappointed really.

Philosophy of MMO Game Design