Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

GW2 - Delivering what they promised?

Comments

• ThorbrandThorbrand Member Posts: 1,198

If you go to the GW2 forums there are alot of people that don't like it "It is to hard!".

I myself didn't expect it to be worth the box price but I will be living WvWvW come launch. Loved what they have given us and I am surprised that they actually made a real MMO the way they should be.

• kanezfankanezfan Member UncommonPosts: 482

Originally posted by Amjoco

Originally posted by kanezfan
    They delivered everything they said they would. I don't know how anyone can say they didn't.
    And to the Tera guy, enjoy your 10 year old MMO gear grind format. Enjoy it while you can because I honestly think that Tera will have about 100k subs within 6 months.
    Ew don't say that I have it on order! :(

Sorry, I just feel like it's nothing more than a niche game. I played in one of the open betas for 5 minutes and that's all I could stand. First quest, kill 6 trees. Second quest, kill more tress and bring back their branches. I turned the second quest in and now get a quest to kill 10 deer or something. I promptly logged out and uninstalled the game on the spot. I know people are all talking about the BAMs and the combat but when you get down to it, it's still a race to max level, and it's still about who will raid for hours to get the best gear. In GW2, your level doesn't matter. It's the first time in an MMO where I didn't have the mentality that I HAVE TO GET TO LVL 8473489073 OMFGG!!!!%$!$%%!!! Gear doesn't matter either and I laugh at the people saying GW2 is for casuals when one of the most common gripes this weekend was people saying the game is too hard lol.

I'm sorry man but I really think Tera is going to be nothing more than yet another in the long line of WoW clones that is forgotten soon after release.

• straitbxstraitbx Member Posts: 14

Originally posted by vesuvias

I needs to be understood that those who really really HATE this game are likely from the faction that could not stand even one word of the manefesto. That is likely when thier hatred started.

This is admitiedly going to sound very pessimistic but my theory is it's not a hatred of a game (it's just a game after all) it's a hatred of an entire philosophy. They don't want a change of the old ways. They want to go back to the days of EQ1 when death penalties were harsh and acheivement meant something simply because no one else could put in the ridiculous amount of time required to acheive. Those games catered exclusively to thier abilities. They don't want an inclusive game that gets out of way and lets players play cooperatively. They want to be defined by who is excluded, by who isn't thier level, by who doesn't have the key ,etc. You can't be the top 1% without the other 99%. They need the others to play thier game. They need thier audience. So they will destroy and tear down any other game philosophy that caters to fun over thier chosen poison.

It's not about fun to them, it's about being a special snowflake. It's about EARNING that special snowflake title by playing harder and wasting more time than everyone else. They need a game that caters to thier specific ability set (copious amounts of free time). GW2 was never that game, they certianly don't want to play it nor do they want thier 99% to play it either.

wow , very well said , you actually made me think lol

• CromicaCromica Member UncommonPosts: 657
    It was the most fun I have had in the last 7 years of mmos
  • ThorbrandThorbrand Member Posts: 1,198

I needs to be understood that those who really really HATE this game are likely from the faction that could not stand even one word of the manefesto. That is likely when thier hatred started.

This is admitiedly going to sound very pessimistic but my theory is it's not a hatred of a game (it's just a game after all) it's a hatred of an entire philosophy. They don't want a change of the old ways. They want to go back to the days of EQ1 when death penalties were harsh and acheivement meant something simply because no one else could put in the ridiculous amount of time required to acheive. Those games catered exclusively to thier abilities. They don't want an inclusive game that gets out of way and lets players play cooperatively. They want to be defined by who is excluded, by who isn't thier level, by who doesn't have the key ,etc. You can't be the top 1% without the other 99%. They need the others to play thier game. They need thier audience. So they will destroy and tear down any other game philosophy that caters to fun over thier chosen poison.

It's not about fun to them, it's about being a special snowflake. It's about EARNING that special snowflake title by playing harder and wasting more time than everyone else. They need a game that caters to thier specific ability set (copious amounts of free time). GW2 was never that game, they certianly don't want to play it nor do they want thier 99% to play it either.

Ok someone doesn't understand Old MMOs. One of the reason this game will be great is because it is like those old school MMOs.

The PvE reminded much of EQ1 because it required skill to beat the mobs not just easy mode hack and slash. Old School gamers will like this game.

Not to mention you can do what you want just like old school MMOs. You are not stuck doing what some developer wants you to do or restricted on what you can do except of class limitation.

• gaeanprayergaeanprayer Member UncommonPosts: 2,341

Originally posted by Meowhead

So I saw a lot of hate threads originally (When the beta was still going.).  Then after it ended, a lot of love threads (By mostly different people, obviously)

Looking at the various names of people starting threads, very few people actually shifted their position at all since the Beta weekend event.

Saw a lot of 'I used to be a fan of but beta made me hate it' threads started by people who have a history of hating GW2, or who had accounts with no posts abou GW2 (So apparently they loved it in some OTHER forum site, but were so ashamed of changing their mind they had to come to MMORPG.com to admit it)

Didn't seem to be a whole lot of shift in opinion from people.  Am I just missing all the mass amounts of threads where people legitimately changed their mind?

It seems like (except for obvious beta problems like stability and performance issues) Arenanet pretty much delivered the type of game systems they said they would, and it's only non-fans who feel burned in general (What?  This isn't a sandbox with dynamic randomized events and no zones and open world faction PvP in starter zones, like they promised they'd give us!), while most fans appear to have had relatively realistic understandings of what was being offered, and thought it was delivered on?

... am I confused on what's going on?  Because that's what it seemed like to me.  I've always known what dynamic events would offer, and what they were in the game was exactly what I expected, and I enjoyed them for all the reasons I thought I would.  I'm not surprised at all.

What you saw was this: All the people who didn't actually play, who were trolling, and think everyone is too stupid to check their post history and realize they're just TERA fanboys afraid their game's peen doesn't measure up, were posting during the weekend. Thus, the hate threads.

Then the beta ended, and the people who actually got to play and either loved it, or gave some serious, valid input as to why they didn't, started to post. Up until the beta ended, we were just too busy playing the actual game to bother with the forums.

"Forums aren't for intelligent discussion; they're for blow-hards with unwavering opinions."

• straitbxstraitbx Member Posts: 14

Originally posted by Cromica

It was the most fun I have had in the last 7 years yeah i had a blast as well never experienced a game quite like this , i'm a late bloomer too mmo' s so there  are alot games i never got to play but i have played quite a few , but so far my fav game be4 this was aion lol plz dont judge me lol, like i never got toplay all the big games like EQ2 and WoW etc , i was a console breed but i gave it up , cuz i love all these games lol

srry messed up my post  im a rookie still lol

• maxy1214maxy1214 Member UncommonPosts: 44
    Yeah, it was the most fun beta experience Ive had in years. Looking forward to the next beta or release!
  • whisperwyndwhisperwynd Member UncommonPosts: 1,668

I have to disagree with this part.

WoW is one of the easiest, everyone is a special snowflake, achievement driven mmo out there, and they have some of the most rabid elitists in it.

I have never experienced the absurd amount of e-peening in a casual game ever, and I played most of the new ones since WoW.

Your blanket statement about older gamers is false since you never lived it so your projection is just that. Nice effort though trying to tie 'psychology' even though it's a little off the mark.

I'm an old gamer but GW2 dazzled me and I was never, and still not really, a fanboy. I just like what I played...Alot.

• LeetheLeethe Member UncommonPosts: 893

I don't know much about what they promised but I followed the interviews more than anything else. As I posted in another thread, I just bought it saturday night and was playing by 2AM or so. i wasn't expecting it to work as well as it id off the bat so that was cool. I started off as a human and I have say: I wasn't expecting a "world". It didn't feel like a zone, even with the fast travel gates.

The Norn area didn't feel like a starter area. It felt like the frozen mountains. I was watching sunlight shine through the trees in the snow until I heard gunshots up ahead. I legged it over a rise and see some players getting pasted until I layed down a turret and opened up with the rifle. I saved  their bacon and we all just stayed together for a bit exploring a cave and doing a DE. Like I said, I don't know about what they promised but what they delivered is a spiritual sucsessor to my all-time favorite game during the weekend and I am now pretty hooked.

I'm also stoked cuz as it's B2P I can play it along side my other MMOs.

There is NO miracle patch.

95% of what you see in beta won't change by launch.

Hope is not a stategy.

• ZylaxxZylaxx Member Posts: 2,574

QFT, and spot on in you8r analogy.  There are alot of detractors out there that are always so angry towards anything related to change.  Its no wonder that companies have spent the better part of the last decade coping the same shitty game in hopes of gaining a meager subscription base.  Those days are gone and the communities that abhore change will die off.

Everything you need to know about Elder Scrolls Online

Playing: GW2
    Waiting on: TESO
    Next Flop: Planetside 2
    Best MMO of all time: Asheron's Call - The first company to recreate AC will be the next greatest MMO.

• Originally posted by Kalfer

Right now, it's a rough diamond. It surprised me that the optimization was that off. I am quite worried about that. My i7 950 with 470 in SLI went to it's knees. 

Odd.  My i5 2500k and GTX 570 combo ran the game flawlessly, with absolutely no issues even in massive battles.  Hell, my G73JH with i7 940 and ATI Radeon Mobility 5870 ran the game pretty well on even high settings for most things (it got choppy during large events, and even on medium settings during the beta finale it was stuttering to hell... but thats more a laptop issue then GW2).  Though it still needs optimization, it's not exactly unplayable.

To be honest, ever since DOAC and Warhammer Online was announced (you know, that pvp mmo) and regretfully fell flat, I was looking for the next big pvp game.  The game that would capture what WAR promised, but couldn't deliver due to whatever reason.  I think I've found that with GW2's WvWvW and it's instanced pvp content.  I couldn't have been happier with the beta.

• MardukkMardukk Member RarePosts: 2,222

Originally posted by Thorbrand

Ok someone doesn't understand Old MMOs. One of the reason this game will be great is because it is like those old school MMOs.

The PvE reminded much of EQ1 because it required skill to beat the mobs not just easy mode hack and slash. Old School gamers will like this game.

Not to mention you can do what you want just like old school MMOs. You are not stuck doing what some developer wants you to do or restricted on what you can do except of class limitation.

I don't think the first poster understands older MMO's either.  As someone who still occasionally logs into EQ1 I can't wait for GW2 based on the reviews I've seen, mainly due to the solo PvE difficulty.  Most of the later MMO's have made solo PvE a complete faceroll joke.  I wasn't in beta but I've already heard some people complain about the difficulty...it's music to my ears!

I remember a few years ago logging into WoW and thinking "when did PvE turn into Diablo style hack n slash"...zero difficulty and zero strategy required.  I could AoE through everything with my eyes shut.  SWTOR is better than WoW, in this respect, but that's not saying much.

And the talk of some freedom, not a linear quest grind, also appeals to old school EQ1 gamers.  People lump EQ with WoW for reasons that didn't make EQ great.  The world feelling like a massive world, where I wasn't required to do anything I don't want to.  I could pick which camp of mobs I wanted and kill those for loot unique to that type of mob (not sure about the GW2 loot, hopefully it's not just a universal loot table, bring named mobs back por favor).

Can't wait to give this one a try based on what I've seen from everyone the last couple days!

• JakardJakard Member Posts: 415

Originally posted by gaeanprayer

So I saw a lot of hate threads originally (When the beta was still going.).  Then after it ended, a lot of love threads (By mostly different people, obviously)

Looking at the various names of people starting threads, very few people actually shifted their position at all since the Beta weekend event.

Saw a lot of 'I used to be a fan of but beta made me hate it' threads started by people who have a history of hating GW2, or who had accounts with no posts abou GW2 (So apparently they loved it in some OTHER forum site, but were so ashamed of changing their mind they had to come to MMORPG.com to admit it)

Didn't seem to be a whole lot of shift in opinion from people.  Am I just missing all the mass amounts of threads where people legitimately changed their mind?

It seems like (except for obvious beta problems like stability and performance issues) Arenanet pretty much delivered the type of game systems they said they would, and it's only non-fans who feel burned in general (What?  This isn't a sandbox with dynamic randomized events and no zones and open world faction PvP in starter zones, like they promised they'd give us!), while most fans appear to have had relatively realistic understandings of what was being offered, and thought it was delivered on?

... am I confused on what's going on?  Because that's what it seemed like to me.  I've always known what dynamic events would offer, and what they were in the game was exactly what I expected, and I enjoyed them for all the reasons I thought I would.  I'm not surprised at all.

What you saw was this: All the people who didn't actually play, who were trolling, and think everyone is too stupid to check their post history and realize they're just TERA fanboys afraid their game's peen doesn't measure up, were posting during the weekend. Thus, the hate threads.

Then the beta ended, and the people who actually got to play and either loved it, or gave some serious, valid input as to why they didn't, started to post. Up until the beta ended, we were just too busy playing the actual game to bother with the forums.

Come on. Why is it when someone says that they didn't care for Guild Wars 2 or it wasn't their thing... that they're fan boys of some other game or their view isn't valid. We're all entitled to our opinion and we don't need people constantlyl telling us that the only reason we're critical is because we have played some other game. Sometimes it's okay to have an objective opinion.

• MeowheadMeowhead Member UncommonPosts: 3,716

Originally posted by Jakard

Come on. Why is it when someone says that they didn't care for Guild Wars 2 or it wasn't their thing... that they're fan boys of some other game or their view isn't valid. We're all entitled to our opinion and we don't need people constantlyl telling us that the only reason we're critical is because we have played some other game. Sometimes it's okay to have an objective opinion.

It's uh... it's okay to not like GW2.

... but it's 100% not okay to suggest you have an objective opinion.

Opinions are subjective, because otherwise it's not an opinion.  That's what MAKES them an opinion. :)

... and none of us are objective when it comes to reviewing games.  Objective reviews of games are boring, and read like the side of the game box where it lists what sort of computer you need.

Reviews and opinions are, by their very nature, intensely subjective.

Being subjective isn't necessarily a bad thing, you know.

• Mors-SubitaMors-Subita Member UncommonPosts: 517

Originally posted by Jakard

Originally posted by gaeanprayer

It is definitely ok not to like the game, or to have an objective opinion... The problem is when you have people who have been very blatant in their stance against the game claim "I was a fan, but it is so bad I am not a fan any more" or you have people posting about how terrible the beta is within the first 10 minutes of the beta opening...

You are taking umbrage to what they are saying, when what they are saying addresses people and posts with very specific characteristics. If you don't fit those criteria, you shouldn't take umbrage to it. And if you do fit those criteria, you still shouldn't take umbrage, as you deserve it.

• AdiarisAdiaris Member CommonPosts: 381

Originally posted by Charlizzard

I don't think you're allowed to say positive things about GW2 in the GW2 forum because that apparently makes you a "fanboi" which means that you are unable to think critically or rationally, or at least that's what I've gathered.

However, if you "hated" the game or were "turned off by the hype" or "misled by ArenaNet" then you are a discriminating consumer.

Ha! well posted sir, "discrimating consumer" indeed. 

Regarding the OP, I think GW2 delivered on what Anet said they would. Personally, I had two main issues regarding the game although I was quietely hopeful about it overall from the dev blogs etc. After playing the beta I'm quite thrilled to say those two issues proved to be unfounded. The largest of the two was with the combat which I feared I would just NOT like (I'm not often a fan of twitchy, actiony combat in MMOs) the other was the waypoints that I thought would break immersion and make the world feel small and lobby-like (while it feels huge and alive). 

So good work Anet on both the game and the vision... now pls pls hurry up and release....

• VeshiVeshi Member UncommonPosts: 32
    OK i want every one who played the beta to think about this. I have played alot of mmo's and many beta's, i think this is the first time i can remember being in game on a beta and not seeing the chat filled with people complaining. I saw no of the "this game sux X game is better" or "this is a clone of that game". I thought about this and lets be honest the reason is simple, people were having too much fun to bitch, you got compaints on forums true, but in game not much. For some there was lag, i was blessed with 0 lag, PvP or PvE wise. I think alot of the early compaints was about the fact they couldnt get in or was too laggy so they raged. After playing was easy to see this game was gonna make it, all other games now feel like imposters to me, it sucks to feel that way :(

• LobotomistLobotomist Member EpicPosts: 5,960

I love the game

But Anet turned to be dicks towards whole middle east area that was mostly unable to connect 2 days out of 3.

I expected they would prolong beta for at least one day...but not even sorry message.

Plus, no support whatsoever

But , as people say

You hear no haters - because honestly - the game is great

• MonorojoMonorojo Member UncommonPosts: 411
    You heard no haters because those that were playing were already invested into the game. This was not a  free and open beta, this was a beta for the fanbois who dished out money to test the game. It is not a good sign in anyway, you guys are literally looking under any crevase to try to spinthe lack of community and communication in the game as a positive by saying "well atleast they werent saying bad things!!!"
  • KanethKaneth Member RarePosts: 2,286

Originally posted by Veshi

OK i want every one who played the beta to think about this. I have played alot of mmo's and many beta's, i think this is the first time i can remember being in game on a beta and not seeing the chat filled with people complaining. I saw no of the "this game sux X game is better" or "this is a clone of that game". I thought about this and lets be honest the reason is simple, people were having too much fun to bitch, you got compaints on forums true, but in game not much. For some there was lag, i was blessed with 0 lag, PvP or PvE wise. I think alot of the early compaints was about the fact they couldnt get in or was too laggy so they raged. After playing was easy to see this game was gonna make it, all other games now feel like imposters to me, it sucks to feel that way :(

I have to back this statement up. Not once did I see ANYTHING negative in any chat. I saw a lot of comments like, "Thx for rez", "WoW nice healing", "WTF was that combo you just did", "Hey put that flame line down again, I want to see the combo with it", etc.

On top of all of that the most surprising thing I saw was people helping each other out. Since there is no kill stealing, if you hop in on a fight that someone else started most often I heard a thank you. I will also say the ad hoc grouping was very organic. As I leveled my elementalist, I ran in the same areas with many of the same folks. This lead to us officially grouping up and having nice discussions while playing. The lack of competition in PvE was an extremely nice change of pace. The "PvP" is where it should be, on the AH, in battlegrounds, and in the Mists.

So in terms of how they said the game should work in terms of player interactions, yes ANet has delivered as promised. While I personally had no lag issues, I did have a number of random disconnects. Optimization is part of the Beta process. They do need to balance out some weapon/skill/profession abilities, but that's an ongoing process through the life of any mmo.

Bottom line; I am currently very pleased and I am jonesing to get back in there.

• Kingsley21Kingsley21 Member Posts: 2

I come a varied background of games, from Counter Strike and UO to Rift and Runes of Magic. I have played probably every decent MMO out there for some time period either hardcore or here-and-there gaming. I dont know why exactly, but I couldn't stop playing Guild Wars 2. First off, I felt totally immersed in the world, where in other MMO's its a tedious notion to run around and find quest hubs. The heart system was phenomenal. What other MMO actually gives you multiple choices to complete a quest in varied fashions? Secondly, I chose a mesmer, and was pleasantly surprised with the character clothing model choices for my little lady with just 3 levels. The masks looked unique and refined, not just some fingerpaints on some cardboard cutouts so to speak. Thirdly, I enjoyed the interactivity with other players. What other MMO has a virtually troll free event that includes dozens of players all working towards the SAME COMMON GOAL? There are games where team tactics are advantageous, but Guild Wars 2 made it to where you can stand alongside someone and assist them, reap likewise rewards, but still remain a loner. I did not take this weekend to PvP, because PvP doesn't make or break a game. Every game has its ups and downs, its likes and dislikes in a variety of different PvP balance scenarios, battle/warfront map ingenuity, etc...So I took the game at PvE face value for the time being. I did like the way maps were set up to provide a depth of viewpoints - meaning multiple layers of scenery and surrounding textures and scale models. Hillsides were actual hillsides and some could be scaled legitimately while others that didn't seem scaleable were infact not. I could attack mobs that were below me while Im hoisted high above them on a tower overlooking the landscape, and the mobs wouldn't automatically reset like they do in some games (Aion, for example). Just seemed overall more rounded and fundamentally stable than other games. Hotswapping weaponsets midbattle was definitely a highlight as well, giving much more tactical advantage when engaged in combat with multiple assailants than in other games where a return trip to town to swap gear sets or skill stones was required. Guild Wars 2 boasted on the fly customization that I haven't quite found in any other MMO, aside from Rift's multi class system.

I feel that with the current direction that GW2 and ANet are taking, Guild Wars 2 could in fact become what so many have proclaimed other MMO's to be - THE WoW Killer. We can only hope. So in short, yes I believe they delivered what they intended to, and then some. But the future is only gonna get brighter the closer we get to Headstart. :)

• MeowheadMeowhead Member UncommonPosts: 3,716

Originally posted by Monorojo

You heard no haters because those that were playing were already invested into the game. This was not a  free and open beta, this was a beta for the fanbois who dished out money to test the game. It is not a good sign in anyway, you guys are literally looking under any crevase to try to spinthe lack of community and communication in the game as a positive by saying "well atleast they werent saying bad things!!!"

Actually, I had a lot of communication in the game.

Lots of thank yous and chat about random things.

... and I even RPed for over an hour, which I will totally admit was probably a waste of beta time, haha.

Talking about pastries and centaurs and uh...

Sorry.  I realize that the people in GW2 are probably far more interested in what I have to say than you are. :)

(edit:  I DID start a topic recommending that haters should plunk down the money to prebuy the game, so we can get more reviews from other people, but my topic got shut down because apparently I was trolling the haters by suggesting they should make more money so they can buy games and test them for me. :(  )

• lokiboardlokiboard Member UncommonPosts: 229

Originally posted by straitbx

wow , very well said , you actually made me think lol

I smell a PAC at work here.......*wink

• DjildjameshDjildjamesh Member UncommonPosts: 406

The game deliverd. It was bloody amazing. That said i have 2 complaints:

- Overflow servers:

concept is awesome, but when grouped up i kept being seperated from my GF. Suggestion: If there is no space in your homeserver put the entire group in the same overflow server please!  IF they do this, it'll be PERFECT :)

- Meta events:

I did 2 of them and they started out great and i was excited. first meta event started off with gathering some stuff and fighting of baddies and the 2nd one started off capuring towers with the help of a few NPC's. So far so good. But then a boss/elite spawned (kinda like the end-boss) and man, it turned to hell at that point. Just a massive zerg fest with people in  melee range getting 1 shotted. I was ranged tho but i ended up full time rezzing players haha. Anyway the final experience was kind of a let down to the rest of the event. And the rewards were kinda so-so.

I might skip the meta events during release since it was really the only part i disliked.