Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

GW2 - Delivering what they promised?

MeowheadMeowhead Member UncommonPosts: 3,716

So I saw a lot of hate threads originally (When the beta was still going.).  Then after it ended, a lot of love threads (By mostly different people, obviously)

Looking at the various names of people starting threads, very few people actually shifted their position at all since the Beta weekend event.

Saw a lot of 'I used to be a fan of but beta made me hate it' threads started by people who have a history of hating GW2, or who had accounts with no posts abou GW2 (So apparently they loved it in some OTHER forum site, but were so ashamed of changing their mind they had to come to MMORPG.com to admit it)

Didn't seem to be a whole lot of shift in opinion from people.  Am I just missing all the mass amounts of threads where people legitimately changed their mind?

It seems like (except for obvious beta problems like stability and performance issues) Arenanet pretty much delivered the type of game systems they said they would, and it's only non-fans who feel burned in general (What?  This isn't a sandbox with dynamic randomized events and no zones and open world faction PvP in starter zones, like they promised they'd give us!), while most fans appear to have had relatively realistic understandings of what was being offered, and thought it was delivered on?

... am I confused on what's going on?  Because that's what it seemed like to me.  I've always known what dynamic events would offer, and what they were in the game was exactly what I expected, and I enjoyed them for all the reasons I thought I would.  I'm not surprised at all.

Comments

• SereliskSerelisk Member Posts: 836

You're absolutely right.

Though, you came off a little strong with the "told you so" message. image

• GuelyGuely Member Posts: 114
    Pretty much. I'll be playing GW2 for a long time.
  • MeowheadMeowhead Member UncommonPosts: 3,716

Originally posted by Serelisk

You're absolutely right.

Though, you came off a little strong with the "told you so" message. image

*shrugs*  Most of the people who don't like it can say 'I told you so - I didn't like it' too.  The game simply is designed a certain way, and certain people will like it and certain people won't.

I may admit to being mildly annoyed to constantly being told by certain people who I won't name that I'm not smart enough to understand if I'm going to enjoy something.

My stance has always been that GW2 will deliver something I PERSONALLY will enjoy, barring catastrophe.

I've run into a lot of people on MMORPG.com whose stance is 'No.  No you won't', when I haven't given any judgement as to whether or not they personally can enjoy the game. 

• cyress8cyress8 Member Posts: 832

They gave me more than what was promised.

They gave me a muddafucking diving board!

BOOYAKA!

• DerpybirdDerpybird Member Posts: 991

I don't think you're allowed to say positive things about GW2 in the GW2 forum because that apparently makes you a "fanboi" which means that you are unable to think critically or rationally, or at least that's what I've gathered.

However, if you "hated" the game or were "turned off by the hype" or "misled by ArenaNet" then you are a discriminating consumer.

"Loading screens" are not "instances".
    Your personal efforts to troll any game will not, in fact, impact the success or failure of said game.

• daniel!!!daniel!!! Member Posts: 400

the hate threads started up after 30mins of beta :| which is stupid lol if you hate on the game after the whole weekend fear enough, but at the same time i really didnt see new hate threads after the beta, ArenaNet gave us everything they promised,  but everyone took beta completely as a free demo, it wasnt completely beta's that even say they are a demo still have testing lol

either way i totally agree with you :)

• daniel!!!daniel!!! Member Posts: 400

Originally posted by cyress8

They gave me more than what was promised.

They gave me a muddafucking diving board!

diving was brilliant :P you even got a view with it too

• vesuviasvesuvias Member UncommonPosts: 151

I needs to be understood that those who really really HATE this game are likely from the faction that could not stand even one word of the manefesto. That is likely when thier hatred started.

This is admitiedly going to sound very pessimistic but my theory is it's not a hatred of a game (it's just a game after all) it's a hatred of an entire philosophy. They don't want a change of the old ways. They want to go back to the days of EQ1 when death penalties were harsh and acheivement meant something simply because no one else could put in the ridiculous amount of time required to acheive. Those games catered exclusively to thier abilities. They don't want an inclusive game that gets out of way and lets players play cooperatively. They want to be defined by who is excluded, by who isn't thier level, by who doesn't have the key ,etc. You can't be the top 1% without the other 99%. They need the others to play thier game. They need thier audience. So they will destroy and tear down any other game philosophy that caters to fun over thier chosen poison.

It's not about fun to them, it's about being a special snowflake. It's about EARNING that special snowflake title by playing harder and wasting more time than everyone else. They need a game that caters to thier specific ability set (copious amounts of free time). GW2 was never that game, they certianly don't want to play it nor do they want thier 99% to play it either.

• GalthonGalthon Member UncommonPosts: 50
    Honestly, it's DAoC 2. Which was pretty much what my wife and I were looking for. Only thing that irks me is I can't play now. I can deal with the lag, I can deal with the fact I'm not that great at the combat yet, I can deal with the fact they need to rework the overflow system, and also that they need to balance out the scaling of levels in crowded areas better. The core gameplay delivers, and the bothersome issues aren't intrinsic to the systems, so I have faith they will be tweaked.
  • BoosthungryBoosthungry Member Posts: 137

I prepurchased the game for the promise of WvWvW, I was blown away by the combat, dynamic quests, and all the little things that I didn't even get a chance to try out the WvWvW.  The skill system is so fresh and the dodge mechanic is such a subtle thing that you didn't realize you actually wanted.  I never would have guessed I can play a casting class that doesn't use mana and not feel OP, but I was wrong and will let out a large whine the next time I see a mana bar.

This game is so much fun and it's because of this Beta that I am truely excited for the next Beta and launch.

• MephsterMephster Member Posts: 1,188
    Absolutely and then some.

Grim Dawn, the next great action rpg!

http://www.grimdawn.com/

• BeansnBreadBeansnBread Member EpicPosts: 7,254

Originally posted by vesuvias

I needs to be understood that those who really really HATE this game are likely from the faction that could not stand even one word of the manefesto. That is likely when thier hatred started.

This is admitiedly going to sound very pessimistic but my theory is it's not a hatred of a game (it's just a game after all) it's a hatred of an entire philosophy. They don't want a change of the old ways. They want to go back to the days of EQ1 when death penalties were harsh and acheivement meant something simply because no one else could put in the ridiculous amount of time required to acheive. Those games catered exclusively to thier abilities. They don't want an inclusive game that gets out of way and lets players play cooperatively. They want to be defined by who is excluded, by who isn't thier level, by who doesn't have the key ,etc. You can't be the top 1% without the other 99%. They need the others to play thier game. They need thier audience. So they will destroy and tear down any other game philosophy that caters to fun over thier chosen poison.

It's not about fun to them, it's about being a special snowflake. It's about EARNING that special snowflake title by playing harder and wasting more time than everyone else. They need a game that caters to thier specific ability set (copious amounts of free time). GW2 was never that game, they certianly don't want to play it nor do they want thier 99% to play it either.

Damn. /thumbsup

• RizelStarRizelStar Member UncommonPosts: 2,773

They did, from observation the small negativity started early finished by positive and confusion threads, confusion threads being a P2W claim.

Someone posted a schedule.

I might get banned for this. - Rizel Star.

I'm not afraid to tell trolls what they [need] to hear, even if that means for me to have an forced absence afterwards.

P2P LOGIC = If it's P2P it means longevity, overall better game, and THE BEST SUPPORT EVER!!!!!(Which has been rinsed and repeated about a thousand times)

Common Sense Logic = P2P logic is no better than F2P Logic.

• evilastroevilastro Member Posts: 4,270

Yeah, there has been a lot of threads from people who say they would never buy GW2 and then mysteriously got in the beta where you have to pre-purchase the game.

• Creslin321Creslin321 Member Posts: 5,359
    I don't know if you would say he changed his mind, but MaskedWeasel used to be very critical of GW2 and he gave it an A- after playing...pretty good rating.

Are you team Azeroth, team Tyria, or team Jacob?

Originally posted by Creslin321

I don't know if you would say he changed his mind, but MaskedWeasel used to be very critical of GW2 and he gave it an A- after playing...pretty good rating.

Actually, he's been critical, but that's because it's never been something perfectly aligned with what he specifically wants out of a long term MMORPG.

Which is true, it's not specifically designed for his long term MMORPG tastes!

So I could understand the rating coming from him.  I think it's more A- for the type of game it is, rather than A- compared to his ideal of what an MMORPG would be if it were catering to him.

• kanedaAkanedaA Member Posts: 66

[Mod Edit] tiny instance mmo

warhammer clone all over the place

Pre ordered canceled

back to Tera

• sanshi44sanshi44 Member UncommonPosts: 1,187

Originally posted by kanedaA

Pre ordered canceled

back to Tera

And Tera is a WoW clones crossed with a darkfall clone.

Not sure where you got tiny instance from considering each zone is over 5 times larger than tera zones, and in the case of the tera city and divinity reach its about 15 times larger.

• RizelStarRizelStar Member UncommonPosts: 2,773

Pre ordered canceled

back to Tera

Ahh see right on time.

I might get banned for this. - Rizel Star.

I'm not afraid to tell trolls what they [need] to hear, even if that means for me to have an forced absence afterwards.

P2P LOGIC = If it's P2P it means longevity, overall better game, and THE BEST SUPPORT EVER!!!!!(Which has been rinsed and repeated about a thousand times)

Common Sense Logic = P2P logic is no better than F2P Logic.

• RCP_utRCP_ut Member Posts: 263

Originally posted by RizelStar

Pre ordered canceled

back to Tera

Ahh see right on time.

looool.

I thought exactly the same!

• kanezfankanezfan Member UncommonPosts: 482

They delivered everything they said they would. I don't know how anyone can say they didn't.

And to the Tera guy, enjoy your 10 year old MMO gear grind format. Enjoy it while you can because I honestly think that Tera will have about 100k subs within 6 months.

Pre ordered canceled

back to Tera

Thank you!  Actually, you proved my point very clearly.  :)  I appreciate being backed up even by people who otherwise disagree with me.

• AmjocoAmjoco Member UncommonPosts: 4,860

Originally posted by kanezfan

They delivered everything they said they would. I don't know how anyone can say they didn't.

And to the Tera guy, enjoy your 10 year old MMO gear grind format. Enjoy it while you can because I honestly think that Tera will have about 100k subs within 6 months.

Ew don't say that I have it on order! :(

Death is nothing to us, since when we are, Death has not come, and when death has come, we are not.

• KalferKalfer Member Posts: 779
    Right now, it's a rough diamond. It surprised me that the optimization was that off. I am quite worried about that. My i7 950 with 470 in SLI went to it's knees. 
  • sanshi44sanshi44 Member UncommonPosts: 1,187

I was having so much fun playing Guildwars 2 i didnt even relise that i was close to leveling, when i leveled up the only thing that gave it away was my character saying something to indicate i leveled. Not once did i feel the urge to see how close i was to  leveling like other games such as WoW/Rift where you would be checking Your xp bar every 5 minutes to see how much more xp needed for next lvl because the pve was so boring.

Guildwars to leveling did not feel like a chore one bit like all the other games i played to date.