Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

How many of you are canceling your pre-orders?

Comments

• Eir_SEir_S Member UncommonPosts: 4,440

Originally posted by Puremallace

Originally posted by Ashen_X

You got to max level during the Beta weekend ?

That is what is pissing me off. I do not give two shits about the lore or how big the cities are. I care about end game and all I see is 5 mans for pve.

I don't see a reason to be "pissed off".  There are games out there that do the raiding thing already.  Why not play them?

• RedempRedemp Member UncommonPosts: 1,136

Originally posted by Nightshade55

Originally posted by Redemp

That is what is pissing me off. I do not give two shits about the lore or how big the cities are. I care about end game and all I see is 5 mans for pve.

Rest assured, within five minutes of playing my Norn thief I was in a 15+ man raid against a giant ice wurm. Are they called raids? no, but they provide that same epic feel I believe you are craving.

While I share your enjoyment of the Norn tutorial ... it can't be compared to a raid, at all .... what so ever. It would literally detract from his enjoyment of the game if he bought it with that in mind, got in and saw what it actually was.

The De's are enjoyable never the less.

Haha sorry, I didn't notice you had responded to what I said. Respectfully where do you note the difference? All I see is I'm playing with dozens of players to take down hard encounters without any of the annoying build up that that usually requires.

Unless, of course, a person enjoys sitting in town for hours attempting to gather ineterest. I saw raid quality content there without any need to sit around and gather up members. I just went in and the raid formed around me.

I don't consider DE's raid like experiences for a few reason

1. They scale to the amount of players present.

2. They only reward experience, with slightly increased chance to drop the odd item. ( Out of the many De's I did over the BWE only one dropped an upgrade from the Boss)

3. They can be zerged down.

4. They are not designed as a time sink for end game players. ( This is coming from an old EQ player that remembers what real raiding was )

Its personal opinion really, I can't dictate what they are to you .. they may indeed be raid like. I'm going to go out on a limb and say they aren't what Pure would call a raid though.

Edit * I enjoy Gw2's DE's ... but if someone told me Rift had tons of raids, then said a rift event is a raid... I'd be rather irked if I bought the title.

• DerpybirdDerpybird Member Posts: 991

It doesn't take a lot of research to figure out what GW2 is and what it is not.

They're putting in 8 5-man dungeons, 3 of which are for level 80 characters, each with an easier "story mode" and an "explorer mode" that has multiple completion paths as well as random events that can occur. It has outdoor bosses and mini-bosses that spawn as part of DE chains and scale to number of participants in both abilities and health. And who knows what else ANet has thrown in there. Given the size of the map, the dynamic nature of events, the replayability of different areas due to downleveling, and the fact that no matter where you're at level-appropriate items drop for you, there are literally hundreds of hours of PvE content available, maybe more.

What they are not putting in is a gear-treadmill or a classic tiered raiding-style end game. The most you can find is grinding for dungeon sets or gear with particular stat allocation. That's it.

Clearly you are indicating that this is not the kind of experience that you are looking for. In fact, you make it a point to go on GW2 threads to declare this seemingly every day.

What isn't clear is why. Why are you complaining that the game is not what you want it to be? Why aren't you satisfied with Rift or any other traditional MMO? What is stopping you from saying "Hmm, this game isn't for me" and simply walking away? And why do you seem so angry about the whole thing? It's a game, right?

"Loading screens" are not "instances".
    Your personal efforts to troll any game will not, in fact, impact the success or failure of said game.

• Eir_SEir_S Member UncommonPosts: 4,440

Originally posted by Charlizzard

What is stopping you from saying "Hmm, this game isn't for me" and simply walking away?

He's known what GW2 is for a year or more, yet strangely his complaints never change.

• SorrowSorrow Member Posts: 1,195
    loved it so much ordered 10 more copies one fer each finger!!!

• NightvergeNightverge Member Posts: 211

Rest assured, within five minutes of playing my Norn thief I was in a 15+ man raid against a giant ice wurm. Are they called raids? no, but they provide that same epic feel I believe you are craving.

While I share your enjoyment of the Norn tutorial ... it can't be compared to a raid, at all .... what so ever. It would literally detract from his enjoyment of the game if he bought it with that in mind, got in and saw what it actually was.

The De's are enjoyable never the less.

Haha sorry, I didn't notice you had responded to what I said. Respectfully where do you note the difference? All I see is I'm playing with dozens of players to take down hard encounters without any of the annoying build up that that usually requires.

Unless, of course, a person enjoys sitting in town for hours attempting to gather ineterest. I saw raid quality content there without any need to sit around and gather up members. I just went in and the raid formed around me.

1. The scale to the amount of players present.

2. The only reward experience, with slightly increased chance to drop the odd item. ( Out of the many De's I did over the BWE only one dropped an upgrade from the Boss)

4. They are not designed as a time sink for end game players. ( This is coming from an old EQ player that remembers what real raiding was )

Its personal opinion really, I can't dictate what they are to you .. they may indeed be raid like. I'm going to go out on a limb and say they aren't what Pure would call a raid though.

Ah ok, I see. They do scale so I see your point with that. They don't actually only reward experience. There is a type of event currency that Anet uses instead of dropping specific loot from these big events. This is done so that everyone can essentially choose their loot from these big encounters. Thus nobody wastes time and gets stuff they can't use.

It is a value colored in purple that special venders require, seperate from actual coin. These event points are, again, used to purchase what would have been your "loot". Every DE you are completing gives you these points which you may go out and use to purchase things you can actually use. This works infinitely better than just having the "boss" creature drop loot that you may or may not be able to use or you may or may not want. It essentially means no matter what, if you participate, you will get something useful out of the deal.

I think three only goes for the early bosses and at their beta stage no less. Many of the creatures lack balancing (we are talking about a game in beta with no release date). I suspect that after balancing many of the DE's will be harder. In fact, Anet stated on the forums before shut down that that was one of the things they were going to amp up for the next event. Easier times with some of the solo storyline stuff and harder times on some of the events. So they are not actually supposed to be zerged down but it was beta so balancing needs to be done.

Even at this stage though some of the DE's could just not be zerged, such as the ice titan.

You are right about the time sink part.

In light of your view I retract my suggestion for him. I think they are similar to me but you are right that he may not see them that way. Although I encourage him to try it out on release.

• GrayGhost79GrayGhost79 Member UncommonPosts: 4,775

You'd really rather have a game that has you rushing to "endgame" so that you can finally start enjoying it for a few months? GW2 gives you that endgame from the word go. You like the massive raids? DE's turn into massive "raids" quickly and scale up accordingly. You want those repeatable dungeons? GW2 gives you those but make it so that it's not the same dungeon run over and over so it's at least semi fresh for more than 1 play through.

You would rather pass on that though because you don't have the option of doing the grind before hand?

Removed

Your personal efforts to troll any game will not, in fact, impact the success or failure of said game.

1. The scale to the amount of players present.

2. The only reward experience, with slightly increased chance to drop the odd item. ( Out of the many De's I did over the BWE only one dropped an upgrade from the Boss)

Ah ok, I see. They do scale so I see your point with that. They don't actually only reward experience. There is a type of event currency that Anet uses instead of dropping specific loot from these big events. This is done so that everyone can essentially choose their loot from these big encounters. Thus nobody wastes time and gets stuff they can't use.

It is a value colored in purple that special venders require, seperate from actual coin. These event points are, again, used to purchase what would have been your "loot". Every DE you are completing gives you these points which you may go out and use to purchase things you can actually use. This works infinitely better than just having the "boss" creature drop loot that you may or may not be able to use or you may or may not want. It essentially means no matter what, if you participate, you will get something useful out of the deal.

I think three only goes for the early bosses and at their beta stage no less. Many of the creatures lack balancing (we are talking about a game in beta with no release date). I suspect that after balancing many of the DE's will be harder. In fact, Anet stated on the forums before shut down that that was one of the things they were going to amp up for the next event. Easier times with some of the solo storyline stuff and harder times on some of the events. So they are not actually supposed to be zerged down but it was beta so balancing needs to be done.

Even at this stage though some of the DE's could just not be zerged, such as the ice titan.

You are right about the time sink part.

In light of your view I retract my suggestion for him. I think they are similar to me but you are right that he may not see them that way. Although I encourage him to try it out on release.

I suggest caution in painting this game to have content that is raid-like. People familiar with WoW or Rift or SWTOR or older games think of raids as being instanced areas where a larger-than-5-man group of people gather together at a set time on set nights for a set number of hours to work through that instanced content to get tier gear or rare/epic items. At least that's what I think of when I hear the word raid, having come from about 6 years of WoW, 5 of which were spent in and then running a progression guild that did exactly that.

These aren't in GW2. Anyone buying the game thinking that they are there is bound to be disappointed. Anyone wanting to engage in a gear grind where every couple of months (in Rift's case) or 8-12 months (In WoW's case) new content is released to begin the process all over again needs to look elsewhere. This was a design choice.

It is unreasonable for people to be angry over the fact that GW2 doesn't have raiding, at least from my point of view. It's like being angry at potato chips for not tasting like Doritos.

What GW2 does have, to me, at this point in my life, is much more appealing than more gear grind. I just want to have fun with friends in a challenging game context.

• silvermembersilvermember Member UncommonPosts: 526

Originally posted by GrayGhost79

You'd really rather have a game that has you rushing to "endgame" so that you can finally start enjoying it for a few months? GW2 gives you that endgame from the word go. You like the massive raids? DE's turn into massive "raids" quickly and scale up accordingly. You want those repeatable dungeons? GW2 gives you those but make it so that it's not the same dungeon run over and over so it's at least semi fresh for more than 1 play through.

You would rather pass on that though because you don't have the option of doing the grind before hand?

a piece of advice never engage him in an argument it a waste of your time. and I mean puremallace, I known the guy since his days in aion, then massively and now here. you are better off talking to a wall at least the way doesn't have a really really bias prospective. basically he doesn't really care for anything and is here here to some sucka button.

OK, thank you, that is helpful to know. I find that incredibly sad and odd, but I've seen a lot of strange things on forums.

• FratmanFratman Member Posts: 344

The GW2 hype proves that the mmo player base is desperate for anything resembling a half way decent mmo. This is an instance grinder with a cash shop and it's being hailed as the next great advancement in mmos.   

We're scraping the bottom of the barrel at the moment. Games like ArcheAge, World of Darkness and Titan can't come soon enough.

• sonoggisonoggi Member Posts: 1,119
    lolwutendgame?? i was fighting epic world bosses at lvl 6. killing that Charr shaman and his cronies was a true feat, it took like 30 of us. GW2 is fuckin epic from the moment you create your character!
  • ShaikeShaike Member UncommonPosts: 301

Originally posted by Fratman

The GW2 hype proves that the mmo player base is desperate for anything resembling a half way decent mmo. This is an instance grinder with a cash shop and it's being hailed as the next great advancement in mmos.   

We're scraping the bottom of the barrel at the moment. Games like ArcheAge, World of Darkness and Titan can't come soon enough.

haterz will be haterz....

i don't understand you, but wait - i don't really want you in the game so think what you like - just don't come in the GW2 game anymore. The game does not need one thing - players like you!!!!!!!!!

Just my 2 cents...

• A.BlacklochA.Blackloch Member UncommonPosts: 842

I just skipped the whole game and won't be even buying it. It's pretty clear I'm not one of the target customers or I just didn't find anything new or impressive in this game. But hey, it's not like the GW2 is the only mmorpg going through this phase. It's been same old sh*t these past few years, everyone "re-inventing the wheel" and having "dynamic action" - yet still bringing out the cookie cutter game.

No thanks. No more generic games with meaningless adjectives to pump the hype for me.

there is no grinding, and no1 gives a shit about raids or endgame cuz theyre everywhere. an epic raid-type boss is behind every corner. killing a lvl 6 world boss in GW2 >>> killing Arthas in WoW. sooo much more fun. the instances are basically sugarcoating. personally, im gonna run them last, if at all. meta events and exploration is where it's at o.O

you keep dreaming. i'll take what's awesome and right in front of me.

but to address your fantasies:

- by the time AA hits the Western market, GW2 will smoke it when it comes to additional content, balance and optimization

- WoD is gonna be a niche microtransaction game for the real addicts, like the ones who play Entropia. all that shit that was gonna happen to EVE before the customer uprising? thats what WoD will be BASED on. not to mention that it not even close to alpha. you're lucky to see it within 4 years.

- Titan: could go either way. right now, Blizzard is studying hard and will probably try to copy all the innovators in the MMO market. they will know what works best and what doesnt. either way, it's gonna be a toss-up. it's doubtful they'll be able to step away from the WoW formula.

however you look at it, you wont be playing any of these games for 3-4 years minimum O.O

• KalferKalfer Member Posts: 779

Game is downright amazing. Most fun I've had in a online game for 10 years (since BF1942, in 2002).

The Dynamic Events are downright amazing. The more players were participating, the more crazy the mayham got. 30 people coming to an event you did before with only 5 guys is a vastly difference experience. Scaling and difficulty will still be needed as development goes on, but it's really good.

This is the most optimal open world raiding that I have seen in a video game. It removes the lame instancing from past MMOs, it allows everyone to participate without the grouping. I played more meaningfully with people than I have ever done in any other game, and we were not even grouped. We tracked from Queensdale, to Kessex Hills and ended up all the way at Lions Arc. Along the way, people left, and others joined. It felt like a train ride. Your moving out in the world, without direction and then suddenly something unexpected happens. Sometimes you run for 5 minutes without anything happening, and then - boom! 

the difficulty is great. even a simple escort quest turned out to be a real challenge if you were only 3-4 people. some events are fun to do with few people. the variety is amazing. you have giant zerg fests, small band-of-brothers guerilla warfare, and anything in between. 

Least favorite aspect of the game? Personal story. thankfully completely optional, but while the rest of the game is highly innovative and reworks the ideas of public quest systems from other games into a better system, the personal story is just instanced boring quests with a very mediocre story. 

the lore of guild wars 2 is great. the ingame voice acting is funny and well written.

but the cinematics and personal story voice acting.. the things going on in the personal story is force, hampered and not well written. the characters are boring. Particularly Thackaray. it doesnt hurt GW2 because its optional, but I wish they had done something else. they could have done max-payne style comic book art slide storytelling or something else. it would have cost less money, would have higher production values, would be faster to make.

the personal story is unimportant because the illussion of choice is even worse than in SWTOR. charm, honor or ferocious replies to 1 dimensional npcs. its shallow and does not compliment the game.

combat is tight. pvp is great, i never even got to try wvw. Performance was really bad for me. i7 950 with SLI 470 with 12 gigs of ram.. it was put to its knees in lions arch and in bigger events. they have SERIOUS optimization to do for sure. I hope they can do it.

i agree about the personal story. i tried playing the Norn one, and i found the voiceovers and characters so lame and cheesy that i just went back to WvW and DE's.

So because we like it we are desperate? I appologize If I'm jumping to a conclusion but that's certainly what it sounds like. Instance grinder? The DE's are practically the textbook opposite of instances. This is hyperbole and you know it is. We know nothing about Titan and, frankly, if its going to be anything like WoW I'm not interested. I see nothing that interests me in WoD besides princes being leaders of towns. Never heard of ArcheAge.

Its also pretty much opposite of a grinder. You don't even have a quest log. Events offer multiple things to do for progression and what are you grinding towards? Endgame? It starts at level 1. I fought a giant ice wurm as a norn and participated in multiple large scale events before level 5 even.

There is no grind here. Of course, this is all from my perspective. People don't have to be desperate to have a good time. We just have different values than you. I'm not scraping any bottom of the barrel. I noticed an awesome game, played it, and had a spectacular time. Incredable time actually.

I'll ask you the same things I've asked so many others. Have you played it? If there were a way to search your forum history world-wide would we find you have been hating GW2 since you heard it was called GW2? Did you come into the game giving it any chance what-so-ever? Or did it go something like:

"This game is going to blow" - 6 months ago

"This game sucks" - 3 months ago

"I hate this game" - 1 week ago

*plays game for one hour*

"Yup I TOLD YOU, I HATE IT!"

I'm not sure you've even played it though sense to play it requires a pre-order. I've caught multiple people here up in lies on the forums when they tell me they've played the game and had it pre-ordered. Then I ask for them what their account name was and I could find them on GW2 forums. Interestingly only one person whome I've questioned gave me a real account. Ironically though the account was only registered for GW and showed no signs of beta access. (All players with beta access are linked on a page in the forums, or were linked a few days ago before they wen't down for a bit).

• KedoremosKedoremos Member UncommonPosts: 432

Just an observation: More people voted "No I did not cancel" than logged into the whole of Vanguard over a two day period.

Life of an MMORPG "addict"
    For 7 years, proving that if you quote "fuck" you won't get banned.

Originally posted by sonoggi

i agree about the personal story. i tried playing the Norn one, and i found the voiceovers and characters so lame and cheesy that i just went back to WvW and DE's.

Really? The voice actors are all from top notch productions. Literally, that's what the guild is called. Its the same guild that found nathan drake for Uncharted and other higher end game voice-overs. I was impressed with the voice work to be honest. I also actually liked the stories. Sense you also tried the norn you didn't get wrapped up in it at all?

I found the great hunt to be fun and was interested when the dragon worshipers found a way into the mists (the spirit world). It was cool to coolaborate with each of the spirits to find out what happened to the wolf shaman. It was also really cool to hunt them down. I thoroughly enjoyed all the story I saw. I don't think people really give the stories much of a chance. 3/4 of the people I talk to that share this opinion (not that yours is wrong in any way, mind you) didn't even know what was going on in the story even given a fully explained personal story log that explains every chapter in detail and the whole story arch in text if you missed or forgot something.

One time I even embarrassed a man on the forums who complained about the norn story. I then stated "Yeah, it'd be cool if the story was..." and proceeded to fully explain the norn story. He vehemently agreed and noted that I should be the storyline writer.

He was actually a pretty good sport and admitted he didn't give the story a fair shake once he realized I had just repeated the norn story verbatum.

Originally posted by kedoremos

Just an observation: More people voted "No I did not cancel" than login to the whole of Vanguard over a two day period.

Ohhhh...right to the past :(.

I had actually liked vanguard. You know until sigil jumped ship and failed to do anything the players asked.

• WhiteCrossWhiteCross Member Posts: 120
    are you kidding?!?!?  The beta trial run was so awesome, I ordered a second one!
  • M1sf1tM1sf1t Member UncommonPosts: 1,583

I'm a pretty cycnical MMO player. Many game's I looked forward to playing in the past have been big downers the moment I've played the open beta. Open betas themselves are basically previews of what the gameplay and content itself will feel like at launch (minus bug fixes and adjustments, etc) and so far GW2 is a big winner in my book.

So yeah I'm keeping my pre-purchase and canceled my subscription to Rift-Online. I'd play this and EVE-Online but I can't afford to play EVE right now because well I like playing that game with my 5 accounts because it allows me to do a lot of things efficiently. So GW2 is going to hold me over for a while as it doesn't require a subscription, you gotta love that!
    So yeah I greatly enjoyed the beta and I can't wait until it launches! Gogogogo Anet, you finally took my money! :D

Games I've played/tried out:WAR, LOTRO, Tabula Rasa, AoC, EQ1, EQ2, WoW, Vangaurd, FFXI, D&DO, Lineage 2, Saga Of Ryzom, EvE Online, DAoC, Guild Wars,Star Wars Galaxies, Hell Gate London, Auto Assault, Grando Espada ( AKA SoTNW ), Archlord, CoV/H, Star Trek Online, APB, Champions Online, FFXIV, Rift Online, GW2.

Game(s) I Am Currently Playing:

GW2 (+LoL and BF3)

• SorrowSorrow Member Posts: 1,195

So much lying in this thread that is so obvious to those of us who actually did participate in the beta weekend.

I understand there are many games releasing and some of you are either A) worried  your game wont be as popular or B) are simply paid to smear the competition but the level of flat out lies is getting way out of hand.