Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Diablo 3 VS Guild Wars 2

13»

Comments

• GroovyFlowerGroovyFlower Member Posts: 1,245

Originally posted by EduardoASG

i doubt many people will buy both.,, and i think i could bet most will go for D3.

So you think that on a mmo site people gonne play a very limited non mmo thats simple hack and slash with small partys in total instanced enviroment.

Why Guild Wars 2 with a huge open world for pve and for pvp with alot more payabillity and from small to huge groups lose over a simple dungeon crawler?

That would be very strange and awekward if people choose a non mmo over a mmo on mmo site i very doub that.

• skergeskerge Member Posts: 11

Gw2 I play first and D3 I will play that when GW2 severs are down(: But since GW2 is marked for June 29. I will play D3 till then

• GrosCulGrosCul Member Posts: 30

I will probably try GW2 .. But I`m just really browsing this board after 4 years of inactivity. What I want is this back .. Best RVR ever.

Maybe it`s more nostalgia .. But i dunno !!

• HrothaHrotha Member UncommonPosts: 821

You can not compare these 2 games... how in hell or heaven would you do so...

oh my...

• helthroshelthros Member UncommonPosts: 1,449

They are both B2P, but the basis for comparison ends there lol.

I'll be picking up D3 since it's releasing now.

• helthroshelthros Member UncommonPosts: 1,449

Originally posted by GroovyFlower

Originally posted by EduardoASG

i doubt many people will buy both.,, and i think i could bet most will go for D3.

So you think that on a mmo site people gonne play a very limited non mmo thats simple hack and slash with small partys in total instanced enviroment.

Why Guild Wars 2 with a huge open world for pve and for pvp with alot more payabillity and from small to huge groups lose over a simple dungeon crawler?

That would be very strange and awekward if people choose a non mmo over a mmo on mmo site i very doub that.

Maybe this site will favor GW2, lord knows there are enough fanboys here, but D3 will bring in people that don't even play video games.

Seeing these D3 spots nationally broadcast on NBA playoff games during prime-time opens the game up to a lot of people that won't ever even hear about GW2.

I'm drinking watching the game with my buddies and friends that have never even played an MMO are wanting to buy D3. This is why Blizzard runs shit, because they have the marketing power to expand their potential market.

• UOvetUOvet Member Posts: 514

Originally posted by Ghaust

Its sad, I'm not going to lie about it, Diablo 1 is the entire reason I play video games now. It introduced me to them, and I was a huge fan of Diablo 2 and played that to death, yet after World of Warcraft, I can never see myself spending money on another Blizzard product. Maybe its just inner hate for that product, maybe its because I hate the new gaming community it produced, or that I just grew out of the games they make, I don't know, but I couldn't describe the amount of f***s I don't give about Diablo 3. So, as a longtime fanboy of Guild Wars, I guess it wins the trophy for me. However....these 2 games are not a good comparison, they are completely different dude.

Same here.

Grew up playing RTS Warcraft and Diablo, which then lead me into the MMO world one day when some guy (who ruined my life) suggested a game called Ultima Online to me. I have no interest what so ever in D3 and for the most part Blizzard. I am probably one of the few that didn't play WoW..ever.

I'll be on Guild Wars 2. D3 will sell a ton though because it's just really a mindless click-fest.

• TruesqueakTruesqueak Member Posts: 8

I feel kind of ashamed whenever I tell my friends, who are hardcore diablo fans, that I never played any of the games at all. They never interested me in the slightest. 

But anyway, I will definitely be playing Guild Wars 2. Been waiting for it for a good 3-4 years or so, now. Just a shame I feel so burned out with all the crappy games recently. I hope I'll be able to enjoy playing GW2 =/

• gladosrev2gladosrev2 Member CommonPosts: 203

Completely different games, one could argue, completely different genres altogether. I would play both if I cared for D3, but Diablo is so 1998, I couldn't care less about it in 2012. I did love part 1, when it was fresh. But an isometric hack & slasher is no longer enough for me, unless it has something special about it, which D3 does not have.

My Guild Wars 2 First Beta Weekend "reviewette" : http://www.mmorpg.com/discussion2.cfm/post/4944570/thread/349125#4944570

• ProfRedProfRed Member UncommonPosts: 3,494

Every one of us deserves to play both of these great games without subs.  If everyone did this I believe all of these cookie cutter sub based MMO's would get put in their place.  After beta testing both of these I know I will be occupied with superior games without subs for years to come.

Really everyone should have both of these titles as you are guaranteed to get more entertainment out of them than most single player games that are the same price (OK maybe not Skyrim for a lot of people).

• GrayGhost79GrayGhost79 Member UncommonPosts: 4,775

Originally posted by gladosrev2

Completely different games, one could argue, completely different genres altogether. I would play both if I cared for D3, but Diablo is so 1998, I couldn't care less about it in 2012. I did love part 1, when it was fresh. But an isometric hack & slasher is no longer enough for me, unless it has something special about it, which D3 does not have.

I think thats where I fall in at. I though wouldn't mind an Isometric hack and slash, but not one done the way D3 is. Point and click is not an option in AAA titles anymore and WoW type quests have no place in a hack and slash.

It feels like a cheap Diablo clone done by a different company.

A 2012 AAA hack n' slash needs to be something more than what D3 offers.

• raulaunraulaun Member Posts: 35

Originally posted by GrayGhost79

I think thats where I fall in at. I though wouldn't mind an Isometric hack and slash, but not one done the way D3 is. Point and click is not an option in AAA titles anymore and WoW type quests have no place in a hack and slash.

Diablo 3 Is as different to D2 as D2 is to D1. I admit I wish it was more gritty and dark. It's still gritty and dark, but it's too cartoony, almost to the point where it looks like WoW's graphics. I appreciate that D3 will be supported, unlike D2, offering much more potential for updates, expansions and patching. Also, inferno mode should prove hard to beat.

That aside, I find nothing wrong with the controls, having played the beta. They don't feel clunky, aside from the Demon Hunter reminding me of Vayne, giving me a bad taste.

On the lore side of things, I do admit that they did a good job trying to include why they had their five characters.. But Demon Hunter and Witch Doctor seem to have just been pulled out of the arse and sprayed across the wall.

It's not a clone, it's a different game. It's hard for a lot of you to deal with, but having transitioned from D1 to D2, I saw the exact same thing happening within the community so long ago. Gamers will be gamers. In the end, Blizzard will profit despite anyone's lone outcry to point out that they, indeed are 'special' and should be treated better than everyone else.

• DistopiaDistopia Member EpicPosts: 21,183

Originally posted by Povey151

I have a full time job, a social life, and adult responsibilities (laundry, dishes, food, cleaning, etc.).

Playing both games to any sort of completion would ABSOLUTELY require that I lose sleep or give up on things that are frankly more important than both.

Only if you feel you have to play both to completition in a month's woth of time... You don't so point is moot..

For every minute you are angry , you lose 60 seconds of happiness."-Emerson

• LokomotivLokomotiv Member Posts: 106

My time now is devided between World of Tanks, a bit of GWs and a small bit on Aion. Have Skyrim, Battlefield 3 and Deux EX installed. It's hard to choose what game to play... but since they are all free I just play what I feel like playing.

You just have to buy them and play whatever you feel like once you turn on your computer. If you have to choose one to buy, I advise D3 for casual simple gaming. And GW2 If you want to take your gaming expirience to a higher level.

• GrayGhost79GrayGhost79 Member UncommonPosts: 4,775

Originally posted by raulaun

Diablo 3 Is as different to D2 as D2 is to D1. I admit I wish it was more gritty and dark. It's still gritty and dark, but it's too cartoony, almost to the point where it looks like WoW's graphics. I appreciate that D3 will be supported, unlike D2, offering much more potential for updates, expansions and patching. Also, inferno mode should prove hard to beat.

That aside, I find nothing wrong with the controls, having played the beta. They don't feel clunky, aside from the Demon Hunter reminding me of Vayne, giving me a bad taste.

On the lore side of things, I do admit that they did a good job trying to include why they had their five characters.. But Demon Hunter and Witch Doctor seem to have just been pulled out of the arse and sprayed across the wall.

It's not a clone, it's a different game. It's hard for a lot of you to deal with, but having transitioned from D1 to D2, I saw the exact same thing happening within the community so long ago. Gamers will be gamers. In the end, Blizzard will profit despite anyone's lone outcry to point out that they, indeed are 'special' and should be treated better than everyone else.

No worries man, some will like it some wont, it's just the way things are. Someone expressing their dislike should cause you no more grief than someone expressing their like.

What I meant by cheap diablo clone done by a different company is simply that the game seems to latch on to out dated mechanics and incorporates what I feel is a tad bit of laziness with the questing system. It doesn't exactly seem like an evolution to me.

But my opinion is nothing more than that, it's simply my opinion.

• BanquettoBanquetto Member UncommonPosts: 1,037

What I meant by cheap diablo clone done by a different company is simply that the game seems to latch on to out dated mechanics and incorporates what I feel is a tad bit of laziness with the questing system. It doesn't exactly seem like an evolution to me.

Interesting that you see the questing system as a big (backwards) step from D2. Obviously we haven't seen very much of D3 at all in the beta, but I thought the questing was the one element which was least changed from D2!
  • lellyvillelellyville Member Posts: 26

There are alot of features that i dislike about Diablo3, gonna take the wait and see approach.

• KanethKaneth Member RarePosts: 2,286

Originally posted by ProfRed

Every one of us deserves to play both of these great games without subs.  If everyone did this I believe all of these cookie cutter sub based MMO's would get put in their place.  After beta testing both of these I know I will be occupied with superior games without subs for years to come.

Really everyone should have both of these titles as you are guaranteed to get more entertainment out of them than most single player games that are the same price (OK maybe not Skyrim for a lot of people).

Between GW2 and D3 there's a ton of buy 2 play gaming going on this year. I really hope that the trend catches on and more mmos become buy 2 play with fluff cash shops (look at the cash Blizzard makes off mounts and pets).

What many mmo developers/publishers seemingly fail to realize is that just getting your game into the hands of people can equate to vast amounts of success. Look at Minecraft, probably the most successful indie game of the decade, and that was through paid Alpha, Beta, and Release with virtually no advertising aside from word of mouth.

To answer the OP: Both....there is no vs. between D3 and GW2 in my eyes.

• galliard1981galliard1981 Member Posts: 256

please somebody delete this troll thread. how dare you compare fine pvp mmo vs some primitive hack and slash

both games are buy to play and most people will probably buy and play both anyways

Playing: Rohan
    Played (from best to worst): Shadowbane, Guild Wars, Shayia, Age of Conan, Warhammer, Runes of Magic, Rappelz, Archlord, Knight online, King of Kings, Kal online, Last chaos

• SoulOfRazielSoulOfRaziel Member UncommonPosts: 405

Originally posted by reddo

Diablo III and Guild wars 2 are not mutually exclusive. You don't have to sacrifice sleep in order to play both. Honestly, if I played solely guild wars 2, I'd get bored fast. 

Another point: Comparing guild wars 2 and diablo III is like comparing a horse to a badger. You might as well have referenced CoD here. 

Thats right ! u cant just compare these 2 games they are much different that why u need to buy and play both mwhahahahah

• EmrendilEmrendil Member Posts: 199
  • HauvarnHauvarn Member Posts: 220

Originally posted by galliard1981

please somebody delete this troll thread. how dare you compare fine pvp mmo vs some primitive hack and slash

both games are buy to play and most people will probably buy and play both anyways

I lol'd

Yes I played SWTOR.

• KinchyleKinchyle Member Posts: 309

Originally posted by Hauvarn

Originally posted by galliard1981

I lol'd

I would have lol'd...except for "the fine PvP mmo" part

• MikkelBMikkelB Member Posts: 240

Originally posted by waynejr2

Originally posted by Povey151

Originally posted by reddo

Diablo III and Guild wars 2 are not mutually exclusive. You don't have to sacrifice sleep in order to play both. Honestly, if I played solely guild wars 2, I'd get bored fast. 

Another point: Comparing guild wars 2 and diablo III is like comparing a horse to a badger. You might as well have referenced CoD here. 

I have a full time job, a social life, and adult responsibilities (laundry, dishes, food, cleaning, etc.).

Playing both games to any sort of completion would ABSOLUTELY require that I lose sleep or give up on things that are frankly more important than both.

Really.  Couldn't you take say the N hours per month you have to play games and give N/2 to each game? 

Of course not. When you got all those "adult responsibilities", you will quickly notice that basic planning skills are forgotten instantly. Why should you care if it takes 2 months instead of one to clear not one, but two games? Unless you restrict yourself by only playing one game and can't play another till you finish the first one.