Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

TERA: Launch at Long Last

124»

Comments

• Pratt2112Pratt2112 Member UncommonPosts: 1,636

Originally posted by Bushi13

Originally posted by NameWasTaken

As good as TERA looks, after playing my first GW2 beta event, I can't justify paying $15 per month to play anything now. Seeing such a highly polished game, without a subscription fee, has spoiled me for good, so I'll revisit this game once it goes free2play.

All games should inspire to play not inspire to pay.

That's very poetic sounding, but isn't really as profound as you might want to believe.

At the end of the day, games are products, made by companies who are in business to make money and remain in business. Companies have different ways of going about making that money, but it's their goal nonetheless.

I know there's this common mentality of "it's not worth the subscription to me, so there shouldn't be one". Many people tend to never consider things in relation to anything beyond their own nose. They seldom ever see, or even acknowledge, the bigger picture.

Here's the thing though, whether or not something is worth paying for is 100% subjective. I'm sure there are tons of things you will spend money on - far more than $15 a month - that others see no value in and wouldn't find worth the cost. But you do, and don't even think twice about it. Why? Because you enjoy it. It's worth the cost to you.

If you're inspired enough to play GW2, you'll buy the game. If it continues to inspire you to play, you'll buy the expansions. Maybe you'll even spend money on cash shop items.

In that context, you are no different than the person who buys another MMO, like TERA, and finds themselves inspired enough to continue paying $15 a month for a subscription. Or anyone playing any other subscription MMO for that matter.

In that context, you are no different than the person who plays a fully F2P MMO and happily spends money in the Cash Shop - potentially far more than a $15 sub-fee's worth - because they're inspired to play the game and know that the cash shop items will make it more enjoyable/manageablee/feasible for them in some way, be it xp gain rate, mounts, or whatever.

Speaking of Cash Shops, your statement can be used against GW2 as well. They have a cash shop in the game because they intend, and probably even require, the additional revenue it brings in. People are quick to say "ah, but it's not necessary!". And indeed it's not. But to say that is to ignore the crux of the situation.

Cash Shops (in general, not just GW2's) are designed largely around exploiting various elements of human psychology. The need to belong, or to stand out, to be competitive, to be "even", the want of convenience or advantage or , at least, less disadvantage.  Too often, when you see the debate about Cash Shops, it always comes back to whether the items are "pay to win" or not, and it's almost always in the context of "will buying item x give me an advantage over other players, or them over me". That's certainly a valid argument, where it's applicable. But it's only one aspect of how Cash Shops earn developers money.

Companies will stock their virtual inventories with items that they know - through research, gathered data, etc - many people will want to buy. They'll buy it either because it fits into one of those psychological areas listed above. Or, they'll buy it to overcome some obstacle or speed bump that's been deliberately coded into the game in order to encourage that purchase (e.g. xp potions which help circumvent a deliberately stunted rate of xp gain).

These things are well researched, well planned out and very carefully priced and positioned to sell based on all kinds of data. It's not like they're saying "Dur hur, let's just fill it up with neat stuff and hope it sells!". They're filling it up with stuff that they know will sell, even if it's not to "you". Again, people tend to not look past their own nose and think "well if I don't think it's necessary, why would anyone else".

And of course, there's the knowledge that cash shops can, and do, yield returns far beyond a mere $15 subscription fee. That's the reason so many companies are changing to this model. They see more $$$ in it. And it comes with a number of built-in benefits that are like gold to their marketing and PR; the ability to say it's "free!", the ability to technicallly count every single account registered in their "player population" reports, because they don't distinguish between the one that's played actively and the one who hasn't logged in in over a year. And so on.

Developers, and this includes ANet, do not embrace cash shops because they're "better for the player". That they happen to be better for some players (not cost of entry, etc) is one of those freebie bonuses that come with it. They embrace cash shops because they are proven, time and again, to bring in far more revenue than a subscription model ever could. It is not some altruistic gift, or act of goodwill by a company for its fans and players.

It's one of the greatest ironies of gaming that I can think of; something that's touted as "free" makes the developers more money than something that isn't.

In a nutshell, it comes back to your statement. Though they aren't asking you to pay a monthly sub up-front, A-Net are still trying to inspire you to pay them more money. And they're doing it in ways you probably won't even be aware of while playing.

For my time and money, I personally prefer to play a game that earns my monthly sub fee by inspiring me to log in and play, by providing me an enjoyable and engaging experience that keeps me ever wanting to progress and move forward; much more so than one that lets me play for "free" (or for a box purchase), but then is chock-full of design quirks and cash shop items that are trying to entice me to spend more money every minute I'm logged in.

• TheDubanat0rTheDubanat0r Member Posts: 76
    No Wall of text from me. This game is a blast to play. Pure and Simple. 
  • amadeuzamadeuz Member Posts: 73

Originally posted by Xasapi

Originally posted by Illyssia

Terra is just another Korean MMO, Bill, get over this one fast and don't warm to it. It is designed to go down a blast with the Soeul PC Bang culture, where you buy game cards and rent a computer for the day. Usually they have some kind of grind/ time sink to keep you pumping in game hours and earning the games company revenue. Bluehole put ina cash shop soon after launch in Korea to maximize their profits too from players. Art graphics and sound are par for the Korean mmo genre, it is sort of bang crash wallop, with big swords and wacky armour models.

Good lord, why post when your only contribution is false generalisations?

If you want to see stagnation in mmorpgs, all you have to do is check the western developers, who seem content with repackaging the same wow style gameplay. Only Eastern developers and some Europeans are trying to produce something different nowadays, but are not given much of a chance from biased people.

Westerners hate big swords right? Guess why WoW is such a failure, with the absurdly big weapons and shoulder pads. Please.

Oh, and guess what, GW2 is a Korean mmorpg. Funny how that works.

I thought Guild Wars is American work, isn't it? or I misunderstanding something.

I knew Guild Wars part 1 made by ArenaNet that located in Seattle, and Guild Wars 2 is also developed by ArenaNet too. I saw NCSoft company logo label on the game, but they said NCSoft is just publish it, thus ANet do the most works.

• bbbmmmlllbbbmmmlll Member Posts: 79

Originally posted by amadeuz

I thought Guild Wars is American work, isn't it? or I misunderstanding something.

I knew Guild Wars part 1 made by ArenaNet that located in Seattle, and Guild Wars 2 is also developed by ArenaNet too. I saw NCSoft company logo label on the game, but they said NCSoft is just publish it, thus ANet do the most works.

You are correct, AreneaNet is located in Bellevue, WA. The company was founded by a bunch of former Blizzard employees. AN is an NC West subsidary with NC West located in Seattle. But it is part of the NC Soft umbrella, but claiming they were Korean would be like claiming Blizzard is French because they are part of Vivendi.

• KehdarKehdar Member UncommonPosts: 441

Originally posted by TangentPoint

Snip

Very nicely written.

Unfortunately the "P2P is so finished", "F2P in a month" and "P2P is so greedy" crowd will just ignore it and continue on not looking at things beyond their own noses.

• BloodchyldBloodchyld Member Posts: 5

Sounds nice...but they IP blocked Asia so cant play.. and no, at least 300 million of us are not koreans.

• XasapisXasapis Member RarePosts: 6,337

Originally posted by bbbmmmlll

You are correct, AreneaNet is located in Bellevue, WA. The company was founded by a bunch of former Blizzard employees. AN is an NC West subsidary with NC West located in Seattle. But it is part of the NC Soft umbrella, but claiming they were Korean would be like claiming Blizzard is French because they are part of Vivendi.

Anet is a fully owned subdivision of NCsoft, same way Bioware and Mythic is a fully owned subdivision of EA. Whatever freedom or assets they have, comes from their parent company. Blizzard is not owned by Vivendi, a merger of stocks happened at some point. NCsoft can disolve Anet at any point in time, like EA did with Mythic. Whether that would be smart is another story.

• eddieg50eddieg50 Member UncommonPosts: 1,809

Originally posted by marcust

I've been playing MMO's since my brother-in-law showed me UO back in 2001, then 3 years in UO, 3 years in Lineage2, couple of years raiding in WoW, couple of years immersed in Darkfall and on and off returning to Lotro (thank you for having lifetime memberships).

I've found my home for the next few years (no not months, years).

I'd been soloing in this game so far (apart from running the first dungeon - BoL) but last night I joined a guild on the new PvP server - yes they have already catered to demand and started a 4th pvp server. I transferred all 3 toons to the new server (at no cost).

One of the guys wanted to hit some BAM's for a quest (level 24ish). By the time I had got to him he had added 3 more people to the group. We then spent the most fun hour I've had in MMO's for years belting these BAMs. Mind you, this is on a pvp server where everyone can "go red" on you, however we easily grouped with people and had an absolute ball.

I cannot wait to log in again today. I dont remember the last time I felt this enthusiastic for my MMO. My wife isnt too happy about it, she can see my enthusiasm.

I dont need to preach to people the merits of this game. Its going to be huge. Word of mouth will make this game grow.

I have 2 issues at the moment.

1. I love my beserker for PvE but I know my archer is the better pvp toon for my latency. I also love my priest toon. So I cant help but play 3 toons in parallel. Not so wise on a pvp server and I know I'll get my ass kicked when people hit the cap, but I love all 3 toons.

2. If there was one thing I would want from other games it would be Lotros ingame voicechat.

Seriously the combat is so good and immersive, if I group with randoms for BAM's etc I dont want to be watching the chat box and typing, I want to fight and speak. I love Lotro's voice chat. This game needs the same.

Anyway, back to the game. And yes while its more difficult for aussies with our 250 ping to Chicago I'm sure I can cope. I wouldn't want to be playing anything else now...

Dont most guilds use team speak or vent?

• XiaokiXiaoki Member EpicPosts: 3,809

Originally posted by Xasapis

Originally posted by bbbmmmlll

Anet is a fully owned subdivision of NCsoft, same way Bioware and Mythic is a fully owned subdivision of EA. Whatever freedom or assets they have, comes from their parent company. Blizzard is not owned by Vivendi, a merger of stocks happened at some point. NCsoft can disolve Anet at any point in time, like EA did with Mythic. Whether that would be smart is another story.

Blizzard is owned by Vivendi.

In 1998 Vivendi bought the company that owned Blizzard at the time.

In 2008 Vivendi bought a controlling stake in Activision. Vivendi then renamed its video game division from Vivendi Games to Activision Blizzard.

Blizzard was an independent video game developer for only its first 3 years. Since 1994 they have been passed around about a dozen times.

As a side note - The COO of En Masse Entertainment, Patrick Wyatt, headed up Battle.net for Blizzard.

• XasapisXasapis Member RarePosts: 6,337
    Ah, yea, mind fart and I swapped Activision with Vivendi in my mind. My bad. My other points still stand.
  • TuchakaTuchaka Member UncommonPosts: 468
    any MMO that has the wow /eq quest style is planning on failing in the quest department how that got listed as a possitive is mind-blowing. I am glad this game has aiming in combat etc. but sorry its just the same ole mmo's we been seeing for years with a couple of new twists not enough innovation for me ....snoozers....
  • Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441

Originally posted by Czanrei

Unlike some gamers, I actually am glad to see female characters riding side-saddle. Its not surprising that some dont like it because they are not used to seeing it. But it would do some good if people did a little research into the era when side-saddle was more common in RL. Women were more feminine back then and I think it adds great contrast to their being less than modest with appearances.

Which brings me to another topic of similar nature which is that many gamers seem to be overlooking when they are complaining about appearances in the game. The backstory of Tera is that it is the dream of two gods and I don't remember too many novels or movies involving dreams that can be realistically compared to RL. 

True, but it was because of the skirts. A female character wearing pants should still ride normal, it is a lot harder to fight side saddled.

The few period female warriors, like Jeanne DÁrc rode the normal way.

Hmm, a wizard in a robe should probably ride side saddled too...

....And now I start to wonder about guys in kilt when I think about it...  Of course they were Scots and as Blackadder said "people living in a land where the thistles becomes 4 feets and no-one invented  tends to be tough" so maybe they didn't care about comfort.

• Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441

Originally posted by Kehdar

Very nicely written.

Unfortunately the "P2P is so finished", "F2P in a month" and "P2P is so greedy" crowd will just ignore it and continue on not looking at things beyond their own noses.

Ignore them. Anyone thinkimg that it is best for the customers to only have one payment method don´t know what they talk about.

B2P, P2P and F2P should all be choices we choose. Freemium kinda seems like a rip off to me though, but I have alternatives.

All devs need to get their money, P2P is one of the ways they can get them and as long as P2P stops flirting with item shops and DLCs it is a great alternative for us gamers.

Which of those models that would have generated most cash in the long run for Tera is something I leave to others to speculate about though.

• nukamnukam Member Posts: 3
    The fact that I swing at something and when it makes contact, does damage, is very satisfactory to me, let's me feel like I earned the kill I just got.
  • vyvozvyvoz Member Posts: 24

can't even buy the game, "server error" on the store site and when i clicked the buy icon since launch.

can't update my account let alone ask in official forum for possible solution.

online chat support asks me to wait for 2 hours lol (queue number 156)

very nice customer service imo (*sarcastically*)

• kain6993kain6993 Member UncommonPosts: 27
    LMAO, I bout fell out of my chair. Good stuff.
  • MahavishnuMahavishnu Member Posts: 336

rofl

it is the same like in the GW2-forum:

As soon, as somebody opens a positive thread about the game, somebody trolls around and posts something like "This is crap! You know nothing about MMOs! The other MMO (GW2/TERA) is sooooo much better!"

Advertising has us chasing cars and clothes, working jobs we hate so we can buy shit we don't need.

• IcewhiteIcewhite Member Posts: 6,403

Originally posted by Mahavishnu

"This is crap! You know nothing about MMOs! The other MMO (GW2/TERA) is sooooo much better!"

Welcome to forums about MMOs.  First day here?

Self-pity imprisons us in the walls of our own self-absorption. The whole world shrinks down to the size of our problem, and the more we dwell on it, the smaller we are and the larger the problem seems to grow.

• corpusccorpusc Member UncommonPosts: 1,341

Originally posted by RebelScum99

Originally posted by evilastr

TERA combat is not innovative in the slightest. Its almost a direct cut and paste from the many asian dungeon crawler pseudo-MMOs and single player action RPGs out there.

That's just a ridiculous argument.  Saying something isn't innovative because it's been seen in another genre is silly, and the post of someone who's obviously got a bias against the game.  

No other AAA MMOs have that kind of 3rd person shooter combat.  It's different than what is currently out there, even if it's been done before in the past.  This makes in innovative...period.  This would be like me saying that GW2 is a direct rip-off of Rift, Warhammer, and DAoC, or that SWTOR's fully voiced quest system is a ripoff of single player rpgs.  It's a silly argument to make.  

truth.

@evilastr

might as well say you found better combat in Call of Duty or any of the thousdands of games in the 30 or so years of videogaming history.

its irrelevant.

use some damn context.

we're on an MMO site talking about MMOs!

---------------------------

Corpus Callosum    

---------------------------

• alexminoalexmino Member Posts: 132

I didn't even know this game was out, because i couldn't find any information on it on any website but this one.

Enjoy your 20k subscribers in another failed mmo.

• darkrain21darkrain21 Member UncommonPosts: 383

Originally posted by NameWasTaken

As good as TERA looks, after playing my first GW2 beta event, I can't justify paying $15 per month to play anything now. Seeing such a highly polished game, without a subscription fee, has spoiled me for good, so I'll revisit this game once it goes free2play.

Im not sure if you were unentionally trying to flame Tera or not but by saying "so ill revisit this game once it gfoes free2play" is like saying you know it will. Which is pretty much saying you think tera isnt good at all to support its P2P model. Tera i dont think will ever really go F2P cuz its EM's first game and its fun and they have lots of plans to continue it.

• UzialUzial Member UncommonPosts: 7

It amazing how many disguised NCSOFT employees and representaitves have post in this thread. They lost their poorly contived PR stunt called a law suit and now they attempt to discredit th ep2p model. People are idiots if they some how belive yo ucan continue to be entitled to new content in a game without paying for it in the cash shop (cough cough NCSOFT GW2) or the Innumberable Expansion packs that will coem for GW2,

In the END GW2 is a poor value and way more expensive than TERA.  ENMASSE and Bluehole actually respond quickly and competnetly to their customers. They are helpful and knowledgable.

It is a breath of fresh air compared to the stale shit you get form NCSOFT who could give a rats ass about their player base. REMEMBER the disaster called AION.

All you NCSOFT pukes need ot go crawl back in your holes from whence you came.

Tera is the most fun i have had in a game in years. going Back to the others is neigh impossible for me now. Thank you enmasse for sticking by your guns and getting it right and not releasing garbage. Thank you for listening and considering player input.

To those of you who havent tried Tera you dont know wha tyo uare missing , the games keeps gettgin better and better the longer you play. The difficulty increases as you level. Your skill as a player is challenged as you are only as good as your skills not a set rotation of [ Tab, 1,2,2,2,2,3 55 ]  Having player collision in a game is a blast and bring back soem features of early and innovative games like Asherons Call. The game is drop dead beautiful, you will find your self falling in love with the world and appreciating the craftsmanship of the Artists and designers more and more every day.

Best of luck to all