Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

TERA: Launch at Long Last

Comments

• NBlitzNBlitz Member Posts: 1,904

Originally posted by galdos

Originally posted by NameWasTaken

As good as TERA looks, after playing my first GW2 beta event, I can't justify paying $15 per month to play anything now. Seeing such a highly polished game, without a subscription fee, has spoiled me for good, so I'll revisit this game once it goes free2play.

^ This and GW2 is a refreshing change from the standard MMO formula, Tera's only innovation is   it's combat.

Again, not giving props where props are due.

Look at how the game looks, how it plays, how many players it can hold on screen at once and how it performs during that.

There are few games that run thousands of players simultaneously. This is what they were aiming for.

You can easily play the game using a control pad on the PC. 

Active collision detection making the combat feel meaty. Remember how many said this wouldn't work in a persistent MMORPG with seamless zones?

Collisions between characters, and collisions with projectiles and hazards, are treated separately.

Even ArenaNet backed down from this saying it was too much of a headache. 

http://www.arena.net/blog/eric-and-ben-answer-your-questions-about-warrior-and-traits

Q: Is it still possible to body-block? In combat, will body direction be important; e.g., players being more vulnerable on the sides and the back?

Eric: Because of many issues with collision in a persistent world, players will not be able to collide with one another in Guild Wars 2. That being said, many skills affect the movement of a target (knockbacks, knockdowns, etc…), which allows players to replicate some of the same body blocking tactics that they used in Guild Wars. Body direction is very important indeed, as there are skills that have a greater effect (more damage, stunning, etc…) when used from the side or behind an enemy.

TERA also has:

Charging - Many attacks in this game have the ability to be charged to add more power, this is a feature that is rather uncommon in the MMO industry.

For an MMO of this magnitude and beauty, how many others can claim the same? Give props, where props are due. Thanks.

More sauce: http://www.gamasutra.com/view/news/29173/Interview_En_Masse_VP_Talks_Tera_The_Companys_Future.php

• TakitonTakiton Member Posts: 73

Originally posted by cesmode8

As good as TERA looks, after playing my first GW2 beta event, I can't justify paying $15 per month to play anything now. Seeing such a highly polished game, without a subscription fee, has spoiled me for good, so I'll revisit this game once it goes free2play.

Guild Wars had almost as many performance issues and bugs than SWTOR did in beta.  It is FAR FAR FAR from being polished, SO very far.  I know its a beta.  But it was an unoptimized engine, overflow was upsetting people, story quests were at times bugged, major survivability issues between melee/ranged and this was publically ackknowledged by Jon Peters.  The game is SO far from being polished.  That said, it has great potential and I am still excited for it.  Way less excited than previously, but still looking forward to it.

In terms of Betas/Launches that I have participated in and their respective "smoothness", I rank:

1. Tera - Ive seen no problems...at all.  None.

2. Cataclysm

3. WOTLK

4. Burning Crusade

5. SWTOR

6. Guildwars 2

7. Aion

8. Warhammer

Tera has been released (for over a year?).  Not an apples to apples beta comparison.

Cata is an expantion pack built by an established dev team who added new content to an established 8 year old game .  Not an apples to apples to an entirely new game.  I played vanilla wow beta and it had its share of bugs.

SWTOR beta dungeons were jacked up and for a long time post launch.  What i felt went really poorly was the pvp zone post launch.  

GWII had some wvw lag issues at moments.  I dont know if if the CPU gods smiled on me, and a few others, but i experienced very little frame issues where others had big frame problems.  Server transfers were screwed on Friday but other than that I think the bugs were typical minor stuff.  (1 boss, a waypoint, some armor clipping, and my personal quest bugged)

• onelesslightonelesslight Member UncommonPosts: 161
    Just a minor issue - you're not locked to the ground during combat (at least, I'm not as a Priest). I can jump just fine to get out of the way of attacks - though often you may not want to, because it seems if you jump you have a higher chance of being knocked down if you get hit while in the air.
  • dimasokdimasok Member UncommonPosts: 183

TERA is AWESOME. Its very innovative in combat and even if that's that, so what?! As someone said here, 90% of the time you are combatting so to say "just" is completely to diminish the nature of the innovation!

Not to ditch GW2 or anything  - beta weekend was amazing and I do miss the dynamic events a lot (i.e. monster emerging out the blue versus TERA where BAMs are all in preteremined locations) but TERA is gorgeous nevertheless and GW2 can't hold a candle to its combat.

I will have TERA as sub (finally replacing SWTOR) and GW2 as a sub-free game. Well, maybe TSW too but we'll see how the beta is...

And I will use the auction house money from D3 to pay for both :P

• SinakuSinaku Member UncommonPosts: 552

"The Story Quests – The questing in TERA is pretty basic.  Even the story quests are.  But one thing I really find well done is the cinematic and story-driven campaign that carries you from 1-60.  Sure, most of the time you’re killing 6 of this or that, but the story written by some top fantasy authors out at En Masse deserves recognition.  Please don’t skip all of the quest text.  At least read this bit"

I totally and 100% agree with that statement. It is awesome how well crafted the main story line is. I haven't really been involved or cared for a story in many new MMOs as much as with Tera.

Side note. You are not invincible. At around 33-40 You will have difficulties not punching out any numbers as a lancer. You will see fights drag on. You will not be able to solo BAMs easily. You will die if dungeon mobs are 2 levels higher than you unlike before for SM and Bastion, CR is somewhat difficult on a lancer who is not up to the task (Mirror Boss and the Mage type boss with multiple AOEs is such a pain in the ass to not take damage from.)

Edit: Also jumping in battle reduces your "Balance" which is an in game atribute. The lower this is the higher chance you have to get knocked down. Of course you can jump while swinging your lance or casting a skill.

• helthroshelthros Member UncommonPosts: 1,449

Why does every TERA thread turn into GW2 vs TERA? Why are GW2 fanboys so threatened by this game?

The best is "The only thing TERA does well is combat" - You mean that thing you spend 90% of your game time doing? lol, I can see how doing that well is insignificant.

I didn't play GW2, but watching the feeds waiting for my TERA queue to pop I couldn't help but notice that it was simply button spamming. I haven't received a certain answer to my question - Can you be just as effective and get by just fine never using the tab key to target someone?

• purewitzpurewitz Member UncommonPosts: 489
    Doesn't look interesting in the least. I'll stick with what I'm playing already.

When we get back from where we are going, we will return to where we were. I know people there!

• wrightstufwrightstuf Member UncommonPosts: 659

Originally posted by helthros

Why does every TERA thread turn into GW2 vs TERA? Why are GW2 fanboys so threatened by this game?

The best is "The only thing TERA does well is combat" - You mean that thing you spend 90% of your game time doing? lol, I can see how doing that well is insignificant.

I didn't play GW2, but watching the feeds waiting for my TERA queue to pop I couldn't help but notice that it was simply button spamming. I haven't received a certain answer to my question - Can you be just as effective and get by just fine never using the tab key to target someone?

Sorry, but if 90% of the time you spend in an MMO is combat, then that MMO sucks bad. I play Tera, and have a character level 35. Have already cancelled and am playing till D3, as it just isnt compelling. combat does NOT make a game. I play on a PvE server and so far its just mindless questing to max level, then....

And from what i've seen, the Tera fanboys seem to feel more threatened. Seems like they jump on the defense alot more.

• SeariasSearias Member UncommonPosts: 743

Originally posted by wrightstuf

Sorry, but if 90% of the time you spend in an MMO is combat, then that MMO sucks bad. I play Tera, and have a character level 35. Have already cancelled and am playing till D3, as it just isnt compelling. combat does NOT make a game. I play on a PvE server and so far its just mindless questing to max level, then....

And from what i've seen, the Tera fanboys seem to feel more threatened. Seems like they jump on the defense alot more.

Actually, try saying something bad about GW2 and you are going to get overwhelmed by their fan boys lol. Helthros is correct; you do spend most of your time doing combat in almost all of the MMOs, with the exception of SWTOR (which is mostly cut scenes). I think the biggest selling point for GW2 is their subscription free model, but it's just marketing gimmick, which is working out well for GW2. As for it's being in beta and should not be judge so harshly, remember when Rift was in closed beta, that game was way more polished than most games that was being launch, and if Rift was able to do it with such a low budget, why can't ArenaNet do the same with a much higher budget?

<InvalidTag type="text/javascript" src="http://www.gamebreaker.tv/cce/e.js"></script><div class="cce_pane" content-slug="which-world-of-warcraft-villain-are-you" ctype="quiz" d="http://www.gamebreaker.tv"></div>;

• palulalulapalulalula Member UncommonPosts: 651
    I looked again at Tera videos on youtube and i cant believe my eyes!!! This game looks so beautiful, ok that kind of running is little stupid, you know --leaning to much forwerd like in lineage but some of characters do not use that style and i think i will wait few weeks and follow Tera but for now i think i will buy it

• DivionDivion Member UncommonPosts: 411
    I'm in love with this game myself, it's not often i find my breath taken away by a game after 15+ years of gaming, twice i've felt this while playing this game already, once when flying towards the wheel city, and the 2nd time was when i first mounted my CE Lion mount ~ Immortal? Nope, try solo world bosses, it's doable, but screw up more then once in a minute (Miss a bloc, or dodge), and your dead, atleast it's that way for me, and my zerker :P

• FreyaVPFreyaVP Member Posts: 7

once it goes F2P? dont be so damn negative, jeez.

this game is like the antithesis of a korean MMO.

RNG doesnt domineer everything, it's not a grind, and the combat system is a breath of fresh air compared to dumb tab and auto attack MMOs (much like GW2) that pollute the genre.

there are 8 unique classes, and 7 different races, each to cater to different players likes and needs. the environments are breathtaking, and the surroundings are incredibly detailed. the boss fights are unique and challenging. the dungeons are just as breathtaking as the scenery, and the fights inside are epic battles.

the game REALLY comes alive after you get to level 20, which only takes a few hours of play. you unlock customization for your skills through glyphs, you start instances, and start recieving BAM (big ass monsters, or bosses) quests to group up and take down with friends. the best part is, due to having 2 types of tanks, and 2 different healers, it isnt as big of an ass to find a group to spank them down.

GW2 is a piece of crap wrapped in the gold of hype/fancy design in comparison.

• XasapisXasapis Member RarePosts: 6,337
    In your opinion, one can not like both games, for different reasons? Why do you feel the need to polarise your opinion, especially with a highly overhyped game nowhere near release like GW2?
  • HestiaHestia Member UncommonPosts: 119

@OP You need to get at least level 30+ to experience a harder challenge. ;)

On the side note I am very happy that the game finally came into release at the US. Good job En Masse and excellent customer service. Definitely a game breaking MMO.

• MoonBeansMoonBeans Member Posts: 173

been playing Tera,  too busy having fun.   got to level 38 wich is the level cap for headstart.  can't wait to play tomorrow.

• helthroshelthros Member UncommonPosts: 1,449

You blah blah about how combat isn't everything then you say you're waiting for a game, D3, which is 99% based on its action combat? lol.. just lol.

• troublmakertroublmaker Member Posts: 337

Originally posted by sadeyx

^ This and GW2 is a refreshing change from the standard MMO formula, Tera's only innovation is   it's combat.

Not True,  the political system is also innovative.

And since 90% of your time in all MMO's is 'in-combat'  then your statement is very flippant

Its like saying "yea, we've only re-invented the wheel"

But I suppose if your the kind of person to not care about combat you probably wont notice how clunky GW's combat is in comparison.

Not to diminish Guildwars though,   being able to pay for gold with cash is quite innovative too.   Oh and a cash-shop centric game that has (a very steep) box price... well, thats very innovative

People want things to be innovative that are simply not.

The political system of TERA was modeled after another game whose name escapes me.  It was a much older game and was isometric.  TERA has adapted that idea, not innovated.

As well there is a similar political system in Wakfu.

The combat system used by TERA was also used by DC Universe Online.  Not the exact thing but you could dodge, block and what not.

Much like SWTOR which is largely un-innovative people wanted something they felt to be a good game to not only be a good game but a "game changer."  TERA is not a game changer.  It is not innovative.

It might be a good game.. it may be a great game... but it is not innovative.

• NBlitzNBlitz Member Posts: 1,904

Originally posted by troublmaker

And since 90% of your time in all MMO's is 'in-combat'  then your statement is very flippant

But I suppose if your the kind of person to not care about combat you probably wont notice how clunky GW's combat is in comparison.

Not to diminish Guildwars though,   being able to pay for gold with cash is quite innovative too.   Oh and a cash-shop centric game that has (a very steep) box price... well, thats very innovative

The political system of TERA was modeled after another game whose name escapes me.  It was a much older game and was isometric.  TERA has adapted that idea, not innovated.

The combat system used by TERA was also used by DC Universe Online.  Not the exact thing but you could dodge, block and what not.

Much like SWTOR which is largely un-innovative people wanted something they felt to be a good game to not only be a good game but a "game changer."  TERA is not a game changer.  It is not innovative.

DCUO has a buggy, wonky block and dodge system, frustrating soft tab target system and is more of a hybrid than anything.  

Not to mention the whole active collision detection system present in TERA. 

Combat system used by TERA also used DCUO...wait wait, I know. AoC also has wonky dodging and blocking. It must be like TERA.

• JimyHumuHumuJimyHumuHumu Member UncommonPosts: 251

This man speaks the truth. Mmos should not be all about combat. 

And then he goes on to say hes waiting for D3.

(:

• RebelScum99RebelScum99 Member Posts: 1,090

Originally posted by troublmaker

If we're going to use that criteria for innovation, then are you willing to acknowledge that a game like GW2 isn't innovative at all?  In fact, if that is your basis for calling something innovative, then we can basically say that GW2 doesn't have a single feature that they didn't rip off from someone else.

Sounds silly, doesn't it?  To me, innovation is doing something different, not necessarily unique, and doing it better than is currently being done in any capacity.  A few posts above yours NBlitz laid out a very nice list of innovations from TERA, including the combat, collision detections, and political system.  These things aren't unique, but they are the evolved forms of what has come before.  And the genre is better for having them in a  game, just like it is better for having the Dynamic Event system from GW2 in a game.  

• JorendoJorendo Member UncommonPosts: 275

Funny cause friday Tera opened up for me with early acces. At the same time i was invited for GW2 beta. Seeing that GW2 had server issues friday i spend my firday night in Tera. Saterday i launched GW2, and i just noticed when i was playing how much i wanted to be in Tera again cause the combat made the game feel so great.

Okay true, i didn't play GW2 much, only the introduction but seeing the introduction is like any other MMORPG (quests given to you instead of quests just happening to you as it happens later in the game) i just couldn't put myself to play it and whent back to Tera. Both games have their + and - sides. But for me personally i find it hard to play other MMORPG's cause the combat system they use is just boring compared to the action from Tera. Beside playing a Lancer has been the greatest fun i ever had with any class in a MMORPG. I normally don't like playing a tank but in Tera it just feels great that i can actively block, jump between a fire ball and my group member to protect him from it, etc all in real time.

• IllyssiaIllyssia Member UncommonPosts: 1,507
    Terra is just another Korean MMO, Bill, get over this one fast and don't warm to it. It is designed to go down a blast with the Soeul PC Bang culture, where you buy game cards and rent a computer for the day. Usually they have some kind of grind/ time sink to keep you pumping in game hours and earning the games company revenue. Bluehole put ina cash shop soon after launch in Korea to maximize their profits too from players. Art graphics and sound are par for the Korean mmo genre, it is sort of bang crash wallop, with big swords and wacky armour models.
  • amadeuzamadeuz Member Posts: 73

Sounds silly, doesn't it?  To me, innovation is doing something different, not necessarily unique, and doing it better than is currently being done in any capacity.  A few posts above yours NBlitz laid out a very nice list of innovations from TERA, including the combat, collision detections, and political system.  These things aren't unique, but they are the evolved forms of what has come before.  And the genre is better for having them in a  game, just like it is better for having the Dynamic Event system from GW2 in a game.  

Tera combat is nothing innovative at all. I have play the games which also have a combat as is Tera like Dynasty Warrior, Monster Hunter also there are Asian MMOs have the combat as in Tera like Kingdom Under Fire, C9, yes it's kind of unique in Tera , but for me it's kind of much the same as in the MMOs that I said.

Collision Detections is also appear in most offline game but I dont find why we should have Collision Detections in massive online game, it is ridicurious 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fCEMrTWL8gk

• sadeyxsadeyx Member UncommonPosts: 1,555

But those features havnt appeared in an MMO before,   its only now that internet speeds, latency and computer architecture has advanced to the stage where its viable in an MMO.

• XasapisXasapis Member RarePosts: 6,337

Originally posted by amadeuz

Tera combat is nothing innovative at all. I have play the games which also have a combat as is Tera like Dynasty Warrior, Monster Hunter also there are Asian MMOs have the combat as in Tera like Kingdom Under Fire, C9, yes it's kind of unique in Tera , but for me it's kind of much the same as in the MMOs that I said.

Collision Detections is also appear in most offline game but I dont find why we should have Collision Detections in massive online game, it is ridicurious 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fCEMrTWL8gk

Collision detection is one of the things that few mmorpgs can pull through properly, thus very few implement it. For one, it raises the network requirements and poorly optimised mmorpgs can't handle them most of the time.

I don't know if Tera's combat is innovative, it is certainly different in the mmorpg space. Listing a couple single player games and some unfinished mmorpgs doesn't invalidate how fresh and different than the regular tab targetting (or the more recent soft lock targetting) combat feels.

Originally posted by Illyssia

Terra is just another Korean MMO, Bill, get over this one fast and don't warm to it. It is designed to go down a blast with the Soeul PC Bang culture, where you buy game cards and rent a computer for the day. Usually they have some kind of grind/ time sink to keep you pumping in game hours and earning the games company revenue. Bluehole put ina cash shop soon after launch in Korea to maximize their profits too from players. Art graphics and sound are par for the Korean mmo genre, it is sort of bang crash wallop, with big swords and wacky armour models.

Good lord, why post when your only contribution is false generalisations?

If you want to see stagnation in mmorpgs, all you have to do is check the western developers, who seem content with repackaging the same wow style gameplay. Only Eastern developers and some Europeans are trying to produce something different nowadays, but are not given much of a chance from biased people.

Westerners hate big swords right? Guess why WoW is such a failure, with the absurdly big weapons and shoulder pads. Please.

Oh, and guess what, GW2 is a Korean mmorpg. Funny how that works.