Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

What to do about the toxic communities in game's today?

13»

Comments

• DivionDivion Member UncommonPosts: 411

cancer isn't just accepted, you remove the tumor, or use kemo to shrink cancerous cells (at a cost to the body), and of course your lifestyle can prevent it all together.

Ergo, Remove the trolls, or radiate the entire community, sure a few innocents might get caught up in it, but the means justifies the end.

Best tactic? PREVENT THEM ~

Everyone hated on Blizzard's Real ID system, but i bet if that went through trolls would be gone.

If companies came together, and created a partnership with "Master-Game-Accounts" requiring personal information that would NOT be shared, that account would act like a Bnet master account ~ Ergo your rep as a troll would affect your other games... or something of the like... communities can -not- police their own, we need more support from the companies involved.

• Originally posted by Divion

Originally posted by Powermike

All the people who can't get around in real life because there they get their butt kiced. Basically you just need to do the same, in one way or another, in your gaming community.

But it's funny that you say it in a forum which has exactly that problem.

We handcuffed him to the bed, since he couldn't get out of bed to use the bathroom, he got a catherter stuck down his penis so he would be automaticlly drained of any urine, it's very painful process... done by the nurse he bad mouthed, and she chose to use a bigger tube then required, and used less luberication then she should could have... See how his actions hurt himself more then anything.

Lol dude, omg! He may be 40 but I still can't agree with that uhmmm way of teaching :D. People can be taught in other ways lol. That poor guy...

• DivionDivion Member UncommonPosts: 411

Originally posted by Divion

All the people who can't get around in real life because there they get their butt kiced. Basically you just need to do the same, in one way or another, in your gaming community.

But it's funny that you say it in a forum which has exactly that problem.

We handcuffed him to the bed, since he couldn't get out of bed to use the bathroom, he got a catherter stuck down his penis so he would be automaticlly drained of any urine, it's very painful process... done by the nurse he bad mouthed, and she chose to use a bigger tube then required, and used less luberication then she should could have... See how his actions hurt himself more then anything.

Lol dude, omg! He may be 40 but I still can't agree with that uhmmm way of teaching :D. People can be taught in other ways lol. That poor guy...

I'm not disagreeing at all, lol ~ My job was to Handcuff because he was being erratic, and making the staff feel unsafe, once my job was done, i was just there to make sure he didn't kick her while he got tubed (Holding his legs), shes the one who chose to make him pay for his behavior -.-

• dubyahitedubyahite Member UncommonPosts: 2,483
    Heh, good idea. Ask for advice on how to deal with toxic communities from an extremely toxic community!

I don't think we can change games. It's out of our hands. Maybe we could start by working on the community around here a little bit? No? Just a thought, carry on.

Shadow's Hand Guild
    Open recruitment for

The Secret World - Dragons

Planetside 2 - Terran Republic

Tera - Dragonfall Server

http://www.shadowshand.com

• Look man, I'm not saying that certain people have no place in this world... but we have to be responsible for each other so we can keep our environment "live-able, and we should not give individuals a chance to go too far. People who don't know their limits need to know their limits, even if they can't stick to it.

• VesaviusVesavius Member RarePosts: 7,908

Get a nice guild, play with them, ignore everyone else.

The culture is to set to realistically hope for anything else in 99% of games.

ANet are doing the most to solve the issue though as far as I can see... by removing the ability to grief (shared rewards and co-op based play) and uniting each server behind a common cause (WvW). If they are successful in making a better wider community, or just killing it entirely (with no one ever being bothered to even talk to anyone outside their guild) we shall see.

My general advice though if you want a decent community is too choose an older game, make it a PvE focused one, and go to a US server (if you are EU).

The WORST communities, in my experience, are EU PvP ones in new games... just horrible.

• OberanMiMOberanMiM Member Posts: 236

Originally posted by Vesavius

Get a nice guild, play with them, ignore everyone else.

The culture is to set to realistically hope for anything else in 99% of games.

ANet are doing the most to solve the issue though as far as I can see... by removing the ability to grief (shared rewards and co-op based play) and uniting each server behind a common cause (WvW). If they are successful in making a better wider community, or just killing it entirely (with no one ever being bothered to even talk to anyone outside their guild) we shall see.

My general advice though if you want a decent community is too choose an older game, make it a PvE focused one, and go to a US server (if you are EU).

The WORST communities, in my experience, are EU PvP ones in new games... just horrible.

If everyone segmented themselves in their guild & didn't interact with anyone else you don't really have a community at all. you have a cliche (and we all know how well those groups do in schools etc)

As far as communities. From my point of view the number one problem is lack of consequences. In full PVE games the social deviants are free to run their mouths all day. sure you can put em on ignore but they just make a new character and the cycle repeats. PVP games that rate pvp or give rewards outside of the actual kill also suffer from toxic communities because you are killing the other players for the sake of killing.

In my mind why EQ on Rallos Zek worked the best is although we had "item loot" (actually 1 item not in a bag, in the weapon slots that wasn't no drop), most people wore non lootable gear so it really didn't matter much. Sure you could loot the players coins but that is why you learned to bank early. But the point is outside of those incentives.. You really didn't have a reason to just randomly gank the average person. And if you managed to piss off the wrong person by attacking their alt or the alt of a guildmate/friend were you willing to deal with the reprecussions (including getting corpse camped and being unable to actually get your gear back as gear was left on your corpse when you died)

Theres a reason WoW made the most illogical from a rp standpoint but logical from an anti-griefing standpoint to make the factions not able to communicate. Its because when you give people free reign to be a jerk. they will take you up on that offer.

• dooneydooney Member Posts: 69

There just needs to be features in game that allows players to punish trolls / bad people. I remember abusing some guy in Darkfall and I didn't realize who he was, it turned out he was a guild leader of a big guild and ended up bringing a whole bunch of guys and destroying all of our city walls. I learnt my lesson.

Unfortunately most MMORPGs are for carebears so these sorts of features will never be implemented.

• AIMonsterAIMonster Member UncommonPosts: 2,059

Online "team" games such as Tribes Ascend and League of Legends:  Nothing you can do about it really, short of leaving the game (which penalizes you in some games such as LoL and others like Tribes not so much) or trying to ignore the offender.  Since the offender can go out of their way to grief you in these games it can be really toxic to everyone involved in their griefing.  Another possible solution is to only play in full teams when possible.  Your opponents thankfully you can just ignore.

MMORPGs are much easier.  Join a guild or more mature adult community.  Don't play MMORPGs that allow other players to grief you.  There are plenty of MMOs (though mostly limited to all themepark PvE based) that allow you to pretty much group with your guild/clan/community and your guild alone and not having to worry about various problems community outside of your specific guild can cause.  GW2 takes it a step further where not only can you not really grief anyone in any way, but cooperation with others is actually highly rewarding and it has the standard ignore feature in place if a player becomes a problem.

• AIMonsterAIMonster Member UncommonPosts: 2,059

Originally posted by dooney

There just needs to be features in game that allows players to punish trolls / bad people. I remember abusing some guy in Darkfall and I didn't realize who he was, it turned out he was a guild leader of a big guild and ended up bringing a whole bunch of guys and destroying all of our city walls. I learnt my lesson.

Unfortunately most MMORPGs are for carebears so these sorts of features will never be implemented.

How is that a "feature"?  Technically that could happen in any MMO with open PvP.

• lokiboardlokiboard Member UncommonPosts: 229

Originally posted by Magnum2103

Originally posted by dooney

How is that a "feature"?  Technically that could happen in any MMO with open PvP.

First off......Good, bad is all a matter of viewpoint.  Second, who decides who gets to wield this special punishment tool?  If everyone has it then the trolls morph into griefers and alot of inoccent toons get hurt(eyeroll)........so much for playing GOD....Now, get yourself a video capture program and use it.....Send your evidence into the gaming company with a nice explanation of the harrassment......They might get a temporary ban......That is about all you can really do....Here is a thought,maybe we should be asking for video capture instead of screenshots....just saying

• UristMcDwarfUristMcDwarf Member UncommonPosts: 111

Isn't Valve going to do something with Dota2 where they want price scaling to be on how well the user interacts with the game? For example, if he's known as an abusive troll in the community he'll have to pay full retail price for items.. where as if the person is well respected and such he'll get discounts? I think that's pretty interesting but I'm not sure how well it'll play out as users can easily abuse this (i.e. getting a bunch of friends to report someone so they pay full price).

Sadly, as the internet is getting more and more mainstream these large communities are turning to poop. Doesn't help that everyone can remain anonymous so there's really no consequences if you're a huge prick. Kind of see why Blizzard was pushing those 'real name' ids so people would reconsider what they're doing. I know I wouldn't be a prick if my real name was associated.. that's for sure. Of course even if the community changed for the better I still don't want to see that happening.

Currently Playing:
    nothing :(