Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

2012 race is between GW2, TSW and Tera

12346»

Comments

• GoldenArrowGoldenArrow Member UncommonPosts: 1,186

GW2 = GW1 fans / casuals / Wow kids.

Tera = Lineage 2 / Aion / Asian MMORPG fans.

TSW = AO / AoC / Niche / Hardcore

All the games cater different crowds.

Also Tera & TSW will have some gamers that are just playing these while waiting for GW2.

• dontadowdontadow Member UncommonPosts: 1,005

Originally posted by GoldenArrow

GW2 = GW1 fans / casuals / Wow kids.

Tera = Lineage 2 / Aion / Asian MMORPG fans.

TSW = AO / AoC / Niche / Hardcore

All the games cater different crowds.

Also Tera & TSW will have some gamers that are just playing these while waiting for GW2.

Edit

GW2 = GW1 fans / role playing game fans 

Tera = This Generation MMOs/ More Action Oriented Games/potential child predators (come on now, little kids in lingerie).

TSW = Lovecraft Fans/ HOrror Fans/ Loves Puzzles and mysteries in games/ Don't mind old generation combat 

The whole casual player argument for any game is bs.  Few games will survive with an entire base that only plays 5 or 6 hours a week.  

• bcbullybcbully Member EpicPosts: 11,838

TSW in primise will have the most staying power.

"We see fundamentals and we ape in"
  • Eir_SEir_S Member UncommonPosts: 4,440

Originally posted by dontadow

GW2 = GW1 fans / Single Player Role Playing Game Fans.

Huh?  I interacted with more people, including my guild the entire BWE, in GW2 than I have in WoW, Aion, SWTOR, etc.  Not sure what you mean here.

• Sigurd57Sigurd57 Member UncommonPosts: 347

Originally posted by bcbully

One can hope.  But unlikely. 

(I say this while having PRE PURCHASED and very anxious to play.)

Hey TSW Players http://www.unfair.co/ for Mission guides, Lore Locations and stuff....

• dontadowdontadow Member UncommonPosts: 1,005

Originally posted by Eir_S

Huh?  I interacted with more people, including my guild the entire BWE, in GW2 than I have in WoW, Aion, SWTOR, etc.  Not sure what you mean here.

Don't misunderstand that statement, i did too.  I mean that the game is closer to a tradional RPG with more people partying with you than other mmos. If you like role playing games u will like gw

• AdamantineAdamantine Member RarePosts: 5,085

Aaaaand my answer will be, just like in the past 5 years: Vanguard.

• GreyhooffGreyhooff Member Posts: 654

OK

Been playing Tera today.

Very much enjoying it, getting over the initial surprise.

It's a solid, fun, and great looking MMO. Honestly, it's a better levelling experience than WoW or any other game. It's (very) busy on EU servers at least, and I'm sold.

Tera is a great game. It's actually made me more realistic about GW2.

• dubyahitedubyahite Member UncommonPosts: 2,483

In my book Planetside 2 will win that race while running backwards with it's eyes closed.  Unless the race is which game comes out first, then it will be dead last. 

Of course, it may not even come out this year, so there's that.  

Doesn't matter. It still wins. Even if it comes out in 2013 it will win the 2012 race because Planetside 2 has a time machine.  

Shadow's Hand Guild
    Open recruitment for

The Secret World - Dragons

Planetside 2 - Terran Republic

Tera - Dragonfall Server

http://www.shadowshand.com

• XzenXzen Member UncommonPosts: 2,607

Originally posted by sigurd57

Not really a response to your post. Just wanted to say nice avatar. =)

• udonudon Member UncommonPosts: 1,803

Originally posted by sigurd57

If done right TSW has the potential to be a big draw for casual or non MMO players given it's setting.  It's going to have to have a very strong launch and good word of mouth after launch to get there but it has a much better chance of becoming a mainstream game than either Tera or GW2 does both of which is focused more towards the more "serious" MMO player.

I know when I'm talking to friends who either don't play MMO's or only have ever played one or two of them of the three TSW is the only one they seem remotely interested in.  Who wouldn't want to play in a Xfiles isk universe? 

Personally I want to see what Firefall and Age of Wulin have to offer assuming they release this year.

• XiaokiXiaoki Member EpicPosts: 3,855

Don't misunderstand that statement, i did too.  I mean that the game is closer to a tradional RPG with more people partying with you than other mmos. If you like role playing games u will like gw

There was lots of grouping and some talking but very little interaction.

I see GW2 having the same problem that Rift has: people going to the dynamic event, not say a word and leave as soon as its done.

Saw lots of that in the beta weekend. When people did talk most of it wasnt actual interaction, more like "OMG THIS IS SO AWESOME" kind of stuff.

• SoulOfRazielSoulOfRaziel Member UncommonPosts: 405

Originally posted by Xiaoki

I see GW2 having the same problem that Rift has: people going to the dynamic event, not say a word and leave as soon as its done.

Saw lots of that in the beta weekend. When people did talk most of it wasnt actual interaction, more like "OMG THIS IS SO AWESOME" kind of stuff.

This is normal if u think it was beta and for many the first time playing the game they waited a long time to play

• DerpybirdDerpybird Member Posts: 991

Originally posted by Xiaoki

I know one problem that I had was the chat system. Chats were zone-wide, so if you wanted to talk to someone standing next to you it was either broadcast it to the zone or whisper them. I expect them to institute chat bubbles for more local chat which I think will help.

Additionally, I often found myself moving with a small group of people. We often just formed a party and chatted in that, but someone had to initiate the process.

"Loading screens" are not "instances".
    Your personal efforts to troll any game will not, in fact, impact the success or failure of said game.

• ShakyMoShakyMo Member CommonPosts: 7,207
    Gw2 = warhammer done right, 3 sides, no wtfpwn gear, less bugs, better public quests

Tsw = swtor done right, better story where your not "the chosen one", more atmosphere and life in the world, less solo orientated, much better "ilum", less instanced

Tera = aion with action combat and political system but also peadobears

I think there will be more demand for a warhammer done right of the 3.
  • mmofreak888mmofreak888 Member Posts: 9

my 2c  (GW2>Tera>TSW) > SWTOR /  TESO = ArcheAge

• GreyhooffGreyhooff Member Posts: 654

Originally posted by ShakyMo

Gw2 = warhammer done right, 3 sides, no wtfpwn gear, less bugs, better public quests

Tsw = swtor done right, better story where your not "the chosen one", more atmosphere and life in the world, less solo orientated, much better "ilum", less instanced

Tera = aion with action combat and political system but also peadobears

I think there will be more demand for a warhammer done right of the 3.

Great post, I think this expresses what I think about it perfectly.

I would be a bit more complimentary about Tera though, it's got a fair bit of depth to it despite the pedobears.

• teakboisteakbois Member Posts: 2,154

Originally posted by Greyhooff

I would be a bit more complimentary about Tera though, it's got a fair bit of depth to it despite the pedobears.

Depth?  You played a different version of TERA than I did.  TERA has its positives but depth most definitely is not one.

• ThorbrandThorbrand Member Posts: 1,198

TSW killed itself when it completely revamped their PvP last year.

TERA is a pure Themepark MMO with no PvP currently.

GW2 has the best PvP since DAoC, it will win out of these 3 games.

Only game that can challenge GW2 is AA but we still have to see how much they dumb it down for NA.

I don't get the TESO & swtor comparison, TESO sounds like daoc pvp, EQ pve and gw2 combat, it sounds a good game to me even if its not that true to the single player games
    Thor agree re tsw, they really shot themselves in the foot by taking out agartha, it would have given tsw a different end game to compete with gw2s WvW. When the story ends its now stuck with the stale grind instances end game of wow/rift/swtor, although Chinese temple sounds better than ilum and wintergrasp, but just don't look very epic when its up against WvW.
    Oh one thing in tsw I'm surprised they're not making more of, it has the plans system from Ao, so it should have some cool outdoor end game pve.