Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Time's ALMOST UP! To buy, or not to buy!?

Comments

• Deron_BarakDeron_Barak Member Posts: 1,136

Should you buy? A few questions would help narrow it down:

Do you plan to play one MMO? if you like to jump around titles then F2P might be a better option. Hopefully TERA will remain P2P for a looooong time. If you answered yes:

Do you like the combat and art style? Don't go by just the beginning mobs, it's not all kitty cats and unicorns throughout the game. Did you like the overall tone of the graphics/animations. Funny thing is for as shiny as the graphics might be, it's "grittiness" comes from it's combat. You'll die and fast if your not paying attention. It's fun in that regard as it's not not faceroll to max level.

Do you like PvP and if so open OWPvP? There are PvP and PvE servers. The PvP server is "on" all the time, you can be cut down at any moment outside of town and rest areas. This might be a huge deciding factor, people love the PvP in TERA because of this feature and EME has seemed to respect the wishes of it's PvP community. If you want more structured PvP then a PvE server would be a better option but not at this moment. Battlegrounds and Guild vs Guild wars are not on the PvE servers and won't be until "late summer" (BGs, not sure about GvG).

Do you need a complex quest system? TERA has a standard quest system though it sports a variety (main story, side, guild rep, faction rep and of course dungeon. You're not required to do the quests to level but for some questing is integral.

Is a large amount of group content important? TERA has dungeons with a dungeon finder. Outside of that are a ton of BAMs. Elite boss type mobs meant for group content. Some can be solo'd by classes paying attention but it can take 10-15 minutes lol.

Is an open world important to you? TERA can be walked from one end of a continent to the other, the body of water between is not passable at this time. The first 20 levels or so will be linear and a bit closed in, not sure why lol, then the zones then open up. There are "channels" for areas that could be removed at some point after launch but that's not guaranteed.

If you answered yes to all of those I would say buy it. TERA is a quality, AAA game worth the sub for those who enjoy what it provides.

Side note: If I've learned anything from TERAs release it's that "review and opinion" sites are just as relevant as posters here. There are so many these days. In fact, I'd guess some posters here have played more MMOs for a longer period of time. Just as with the opinions here take them with a grain of salt.

Edit: colored the tl;dr portions.  Sorry for the rant lol

Just not worth my time anymore.

• mmoguy43mmoguy43 Member UncommonPosts: 2,770

Originally posted by RogueTroopa

I bought the game and love it. The  world is amazing and i just want to keep logging in. Quest wise i don't mind grinding when i having so much fun. Pity SWTOR didn't implement a world that acctually feels alive instead of some dead carcass. Seriously i think this game is a massive sleeper that will get better and better. I played GW2 beta and Tera for me looks and plays so much better.

This doesn't make sense. TOR is much more alive and is less restricting than Tera. Even the background environment is better. In Tera it feels like the clouds are only 200 feet away and there are a lot of invisible walls.

Above poster has some issues(complex questing and open world). Some listed in orange are things Tera doesn't have and are reason why not do buy it because it isn't there.

I did mess up on questing, if you read the rest of that section it would have made sense. Please list what you think is wrong if you take issue with it.

Tor less restrictive? I think everything about that game is restrictive. Level progress, zone tunneling to name two major ones. The fact you have to quest to progress is a major turnoff for me. TARA only tunnels you for the first 15-17 levels so I assume you got no farther than your mid teens.

• RogueTroopaRogueTroopa Member Posts: 147

This doesn't make sense. TOR is much more alive and is less restricting than Tera. Even the background environment is better. In Tera it feels like the clouds are only 200 feet away and there are a lot of invisible walls.

Are you kidding? Tor's world was static. Mobs didn't move, cities that felt like graveyards. In comparison i've chatted in Tera like the old days in the barrens. The world looks and feels alive and the cities are brimming with players.

Land of AKA Godzilla with Wifey

• BombzawayBombzaway Member UncommonPosts: 78

Buy:  new genre in the making   THEMEBOX MMO

Nr. 1 pro tip: adjust brighhtness between 20-30%

• mmoguy43mmoguy43 Member UncommonPosts: 2,770

Are you kidding? Tor's world was static. Mobs didn't move, cities that felt like graveyards. In comparison i've chatted in Tera like the old days in the barrens. The world looks and feels alive and the cities are brimming with players.

Mobs do move around actually and in most areas there are patrolers. NPCs will be weilding, spotting, scanning, or chatting with other NPCs. The NPCs are always doing something even if they aren't all moving around. Tera? Standing there idlly. Tera mobs do wander more but they are all monsters that don't interact with the world itself.

Originally posted by Deron_Barak

Tor less restrictive? I think everything about that game is restrictive. Level progress, zone tunneling to name two major ones. The fact you have to quest to progress is a major turnoff for me. TARA only tunnels you for the first 15-17 levels so I assume you got no farther than your mid teens.

Yes I didn't get very far yet but right from start Tera is very much a tunnel which makes it feel not as open. I was unhappy with this because fans keep saying that it is such an open world game. I think Vanguard when I hear open world, and this is no Vanguard world. Not even close.

How is Tera much different than TOR's leveling progress and zones? Tera you start off with continously getting kill quests with an occasional harvest quests several of which want you to go back to areas you have already been or kill things you killed already. Both games you can choose to kill stuff over and over or the better method, do all the quests. Atleast with TOR you keep seeing new things, fighting something different, doing missions that have more variety in tasks.

@mmoguy

To be honest you can't say what TERAs world is if you didn't get that far. I agree that the first few areas are tunnel and linear, I don't like it either, and I'm a VG fan as far as the world goes. Right now at level 16 I am in a zone that is not a tunnel like Fey Forest/Oblivion Woods but very open. I am glad for this as the majority of the zones from here on out are supposed to be open as well.

In Tor I felt like to progress I had to quest and it drove me nuts. I didn't notice the per mob kill xp rates that TERA has. At level 16 I have only done 2 yellow side quests (both level >5) with all the rest being main story. All the mobs stay one to three levels above me which is a great challenge and I haven't outleveled the main story in at least four levels. I don't really grind other than for guild rep which the turn in gives no xp, it's the perfect fit. You may be able to skip side quests in Tor as well but TERAs combat makes it fun and not a grind.

• centkincentkin Member RarePosts: 1,527

Ok -- this is the tipping point for most people thinking about Tera -- and I have done a lot of contemplating over just why and how it fails for me and how it succeeds.

The answer is simple:

This game is a grouping game in the old style.

What I mean by that is simple.  The game may be beautiful and yes you can solo from 1 to cap -- BUT it is NOT FUN SOLO.

Solo what you will get to do is do simple quests and kill simple monsters over and over again for no important loot.

Now if you prefer grouping the game opens up -- you get monsters that actually do things and you can kill them in a reasonable amount of time.  You have dungeons you can do for real loot, etc.

But while you can take down a BAM solo if you are good -- it will take you a LONG LONG time.  This is very much like the old days where yes you could kite that monster and kill it 15 minutes -- but if you had a group killing them they would go down in under 2 minutes and you could chain kill them.

I'm sorry I meant under-leveled the main story. The steps require a minimum level and with my chosen play style I might have to go hunting until I gain a level for the main quest to continue.

• AusareAusare Member Posts: 850
    Just do not see this game being worth box price and $15 a month to play.  If it was F2P I would jump in.
  • BartDaCatBartDaCat Member UncommonPosts: 813

Originally posted by RebelScum99

I'm not a fan of the Eastern art style myself, and yet I LOVE the world environment in this game.  I think it looks amazing.  My only qualm is in some of the character models (effeminate male elves and scantily clad females), but the world looks so incredible that I don't even think about how silly some of the characters look anymore.  

And as far as the article goes, I'm also a WoW-style themepark player.  And I think this game can appeal to that kind of player IF they are looking for something unique, but not too unfamiliar.  This game has WoW-style gameplay with an action hack-and-slash type of combat.  To me, that's a major plus and the type of game that could attract the WoW crowd.  Unfortunately, I think based on many preconceived biases against Eastern MMOs, the WoW-crowd probably won't give this game much of a look.  I know I wasn't the least bit interested in it until I got ahold of a beta key by dumb luck and decided to try the game out over the CB5 weekend.  I'm definitely glad I did.

I also don't think this game is very much like Aion, unless you consider that it is the type of game that Aion SHOULD HAVE been.  I've played both, and aside from obvious core gameplay similarities, they don't feel anywhere close to similar.  

I think this was one of the best assessments in this thread, and I'd have to agree with Rebel.

I think the level design is stunning, the game plays like a console RPG in some aspects, but I mean that in the best sense possible.  I'm really enjoying it, and I think there was a lot of thought put into the combat mechanics.

Someone else had written a thread calling this a "sleeper hit", and I think that summed it up.  I had no expectations going into this, but I keep finding myself pleasantly surprised by how fun the game is.

• centkincentkin Member RarePosts: 1,527

Actually my insight on the group game thing has opened my eyes to the why on some of the changes (westernizations) that have been done to the game.

I mean the institution of BoP is something that will make people need to get their own items in a group as they stop dropping long before the dungeons get easy enough to be soloed as opposed to being able to do solo activities and sell your wares to get enough coin to buy items that came out of the deep dark places.

The removal of the player shops is another thing that fosters group play in an odd way -- it makes it a lot harder to be a solo crafter // entrepeneur. 

Then there are the removal of the chaos boxes.  Again what they mostly did was allow people to turn the weak augments they got themselves say soloing into ones that really only drop from bosses -- if they get lucky -- now you have to go into the deep dark for the better augments.

Ditto the removal of the fortune eggs. 

It definitely leads to a pattern that En Masse seems to really want to make the game a heavily group favored game as opposed to one where solo is an equally viable way to play.

This is neither good nor bad -- it is just what is.

As far as the solo vs group debate in TERA I lean toward the "both" category. It's true you will get better gear faster in a group, and that makes sense, but solo play is not that bad. I will agree that TERA has an old school feel to it which I like a lot. It's an ingredient that's been missing for a while now. That said solo play is just as rewarding IMO if that's what you like.

I've had to solo up to 17 so far, mostly because of my shotty playing times, and I haven't done more than two yellow quests. Doing the main story and hitting guild rep quests along the way has worked great and I'm always fighting white/orange mobs. I'm already "out of the woods" as far as zones go. The last area that has a "tunnel" feeling was Oblivion Woods and I left there when I was 15-16.

Admittedly once I turn 20 I'll be focusing on BAM groups and dungeons but I'll still have nights of wandering the landscape finding little nooks of mobs for me to talk to :)

• kanedaAkanedaA Member Posts: 66

Originally posted by FrodoFragins

The art style is a total turn off. 

go back to your crappy west art then

wich so far a cant see any mmo out there better looking than tera..east or west

• tachgbtachgb Member UncommonPosts: 791

I can't think of a western MMO looking better then TERA. Maybe Guild Wars 1 and now Guild Wars 2 has the best art style, but that's also influenced by the east. So...

• legendairlegendair Member CommonPosts: 60

No... and no.  Couple of things that just really annoyed me about this game.

1. Barely any UI customization

2. Annoying aiming crosshair in the middle of the screen

3. IT IS NOT A TRUE ACTION MMO... you can dodge attacks but you can not cancel or cast spells on the run.

4. Forced to use wsad, and number pads.  While I use both I sometimes need to rest my hands so using the point and click is not available.

5. Very little skills, sure you can glyph them but they are not impressive to look at and its the same spell.

6. Linear not really open like other games where you can fly around and go anywhere your stuck on the ground and its go to point A to point B...

7. Middle screen announcements every freaking 2-3 minutes about "Player x gathered x items/herbs/etc..."

8. You have the option of using a game controller... I am old school I have a pc for a reason using keyboard is 100000x;s better than limiting yourself to a game controller...

Only two reasons to buy the  game 1. That beautiful lion mount if u go collector's or 2.... wait yeah nvm mind that just one reason.

In anycase Diablo 3, GW2 and Aion are currently taking up my gaming world.  Besides League of Legends... Tera WILL GO F2P and btw in ASIA the game is doing horrible. 

P.S The game is beautiful but looks aren't everything...

• hesobasohesobaso Member UncommonPosts: 3

Originally posted by legendair

3. IT IS NOT A TRUE ACTION MMO... you can dodge attacks but you can not cancel or cast spells on the run.

4. Forced to use wsad, and number pads.  While I use both I sometimes need to rest my hands so using the point and click is not available.

5. Very little skills, sure you can glyph them but they are not impressive to look at and its the same spell.

6. Linear not really open like other games where you can fly around and go anywhere your stuck on the ground and its go to point A to point B...

7. Middle screen announcements every freaking 2-3 minutes about "Player x gathered x items/herbs/etc..."

8. You have the option of using a game controller... I am old school I have a pc for a reason using keyboard is 100000x;s better than limiting yourself to a game controller...

Only two reasons to buy the  game 1. That beautiful lion mount if u go collector's or 2.... wait yeah nvm mind that just one reason.

In anycase Diablo 3, GW2 and Aion are currently taking up my gaming world.  Besides League of Legends... Tera WILL GO F2P and btw in ASIA the game is doing horrible. 

1. The UI is set up to work with the game very well, i do not see a purpose to fuck with it at this point.

2. They have crosshairs because you actually have to aim...

3. It is the best action mmo i have played in a while, you aim, you run, you dodge. Idk what more you want.

4. You can use a controller, also you kind need to use movement keys in an action mmo, it is not tab target point nclick style.

5. There are plenty of skills, most games the more skills you get the less you use, i know on my archer who is only lvl 13 i use every one of my 6 skills right now.

6. IDK much about this only lvl 13, but it seems like you can do what you want, if by questing you mean it is linear, yes that is true, but it never claimed to be a sandbox. 

7. I do not have those annoucnments as much as you are claiming to see them.

8. You were just complaining about the keyboard and now about the controller, make up your mind. 

• rexzshadowrexzshadow Member Posts: 1,428

the entire UI was customizable, you can move them anywhere and scale them to any size you please.

Duh else you going to aim?

not even going to explains this again but you don't know wtf action combat is

again action combat holy shit

the point is to adjust them to your liking but everyone has the same skill so its more skilled based rather than build based.

ya flying sucks, it kills any sense of exploration

call turning off annoucement in setting

why its called a fucking option, no one telling you to use it.

also 5th most played mmorpg and 9th most play mmo in Korea

lol

• faxnadufaxnadu Member UncommonPosts: 940

Originally posted by mmoguy43

I bought the game and love it. The  world is amazing and i just want to keep logging in. Quest wise i don't mind grinding when i having so much fun. Pity SWTOR didn't implement a world that acctually feels alive instead of some dead carcass. Seriously i think this game is a massive sleeper that will get better and better. I played GW2 beta and Tera for me looks and plays so much better.

Above poster has some issues(complex questing and open world). Some listed in orange are things Tera doesn't have and are reason why not do buy it because it isn't there.

how can one compare star wars to tera is beyond me.

but what comes buying tera or not id suggestd to wait week or two after launch and think again if you still want it.

so experience what comes from the beginning of mmos i myself are not gona buy it. played the beta and yes it does get better after 15 - 20 or so but its just question of opinions and likes and what nots. crosshair stuck to mid screen is not really 

that revolutionary combat that id expected but hey each of their own.

aswell there is nothing bad to be hypehype and pre order if you really want to. 

for me its a skippie dippie and eyes for secret world maybe it fails to bring me anything new either but thats how it goes.

cheers

• glissonglisson Member Posts: 30

You cant use mods but the UI has great base customization. I mean you can move around anything on the screen add extra hot bars, the bars can be rebound and moved, Map, Radar, Player frames, Target, Your health everything is moveable in the base Ui. Bascially all the crap you normally need mods for you dont. I dont know what else you want.

You cant use mods but the UI has great base customization. I mean you can move around anything on the screen add extra hot bars, the bars can be rebound and moved, Map, Radar, Player frames, Target, Your health everything is moveable in the base Ui. Bascially all the crap you normally need mods for you dont. I dont know what else you want.

The crosshair is there to aim spells so you have an idea where you are firing. When was the last time you played an FPS with no cross hair? You arent going to hit anything if you dont know were you are shooting or were to aim.

3. IT IS NOT A TRUE ACTION MMO... you can dodge attacks but you can not cancel or cast spells on the run

You can cancel spells up to a certain point. Spells that have cast time and stuff can be canceled. Skills that are instant arent canceled because they use the animation locking as a sort of built in cast time and it roots you until animation is finished. This decreases as you level up and its not a big issue.

4. Forced to use wsad, and number pads. While I use both I sometimes need to rest my hands so using the point and click is not available.

You cant hold both mouse buttons to move like you can in wow but there is noting that stops you from binding your movement keys or a second set of movement keys to another button. I mean bind an extra mouse button to move foward if you just want to move foward without touching the keyboard.

I have no idea what class you tried but every class has a ton of skills most classes have like 20-30 unique skills maybe even more I would have to count all the classes to get exact number but if you go to website you can see the list. They are great and the combat animations look really good.  There are plenty of skills for easy class and they look different. If you didnt think there was enough skills you must have been really low level.

There are lots of places to go and explore and you arent forced to go from point A to B. The game has quest hubs which are designed to go from one spot to another but you can travel whever you want and can just kill mobs for xp. In fact the BAMS give as much in a full group as a quest does so you could do nothing but farm them to level. Also there is no flying mounts which is great because flying mounts ruin exploration. The game is only Linear if you force that on yourself.

They have announcements are for poeple that enchant an item to +6 or above and its only poeple in that area that see it. Thats it for annoucements. There are no annoucements for gathering or item received etc. The annoucements arent server wide just area based so I dont see what the issue is. So you happen to be in an area and see some dude enchant an item big deal.....

There is nothing wrong with having the option of using a game controller. I personally would never use one as you said using a keyboard and mouse is 100 times better espically in an mmo were you will be typing etc. But if poeple want to do a dungeon or whatever with a controller as long as they dont suck it doesnt bother me.

Your complaint list is very long and very inaccurate. Most of what you complained about shows me you didnt play the game much probably never even left the newbie island. I wont say this is the best game ever but its not nearly as bad as you seem to want poeple to think.

• TheDubanat0rTheDubanat0r Member Posts: 76

BOTTOM LINE? The game is Fun. Combat is what really makes the game stand out.  It's almost like D3 combat to be honest imo anyway.  I have been playing with my xbox controller and aside from it being a tad bit slower compared to using a mouse for turning around it fits well. I am playing as a priest and am having a good time. This is a great start and as long as it gets the support it will turn into one of the best mmo expereinces i have ever had.  I can't stress enough how fun I find the combat. 

If your system can run the game at max settings its absolutely stunning. I won't forget landing on the "noob" island and seeing a huge line of towering waterfalls with wrecked ships atop them in the background. It's so pretty!

• SpankthetoadSpankthetoad Member UncommonPosts: 83

Well after playing this weekend i must say i did enjoy it as it was so much of a change of pace from the other MMo,s i have played over the years.  I did like that you cannot just stand there and fire away at things and live.  You have to think alot about what you are doing before you charge in.  I like that idea .  I am looking forward to trying other toons as i have only made a priest atm.  Does take awhile to get the hang of doing things as we are so use to the Wow type games but once you do i think you will enjoy the game play. 

Spankthetoad

• RavenRaven Member UncommonPosts: 2,005

Must say I havent felt this world epicness in a while, I knew I enjoyed TERA when I played the beta, but its really good, already started some GvG wars and really enjoying the combat, I am glad I didnt overplay the beta, it still feels very fresh to me.

On a side note, the ability to try any class with mid levels abilities at the start its absolutely genius :D

• itchmonitchmon Member RarePosts: 1,999

buy, in my opinion.

i know this.  I know that on sunday I played long enough to have the game warn me that i've been playing for 4 hours and should take a break.  and I know that  i have not been able to bring myself to play ANY mmo for 4 hours straight since the early days of wrath of the lich king. 

I have not felt so immersed in a very long time.

itch

RIP Ribbitribbitt you are missed, kid.

Currently Playing EVE, ESO

Every gun that is made, every warship launched, every rocket fired signifies, in the final sense, a theft from those who hunger and are not fed, those who are cold and not clothed.

Dwight D Eisenhower

My optimism wears heavy boots and is loud.

Henry Rollins

• HeroEvermoreHeroEvermore Member Posts: 672
    I love this game. It could be single player and id put 100s of hours into killing the gorgeous looking monsters :D

Hero Evermore
    Guild Master of Dragonspine since 1982.
    Playing Path of Exile and deeply in love with it.