Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Your right. it isn't pay to win. It's....

TorqiaTorqia Member UncommonPosts: 73

Its Pay to not be annoyed...

So you need to pay real money to open lockboxes.... sigh

Yes that isnt pay to win but if you dont pay, your gonna feel like you cant get the items you grinded for and that would piss me off terribly.

Yes they need to make money but i for one HATE HATE HATE this model. 

Comments

• tank017tank017 Member Posts: 2,192

can you elaborate on these lock boxes?

are they just random drops? or spawns?

• EmwynEmwyn Member Posts: 546

Originally posted by tank017

Random drops. There are 3 accounts going in my house. So far only one lockbox has dropped and one key has dropped. For the same person.

the poster formerly known as melangel :P

• DrakxiiDrakxii Member Posts: 594
    It's how the "free" to play model works.   GW2 devs or any of other devs that use the model that want you only to have enough fun to make you want to make the game a little(or lot) less grindy or make your character a little less stupid looking.  That don't care about new/good content as much as P2P would because it won't make them any money.

I will not play a game with a cash shop ever again. A dev job should be to make the game better not make me pay so it sucks less.

• DistopiaDistopia Member EpicPosts: 21,183
    I was under the impression the cash shop was not in this BWE, was that impression wrong? TO add to that I was also under the impression those keys drop in game.

For every minute you are angry , you lose 60 seconds of happiness."-Emerson

• BaniscoBanisco Member Posts: 240

The lockboxes drop randomly so you dont realy grind for them also inside the boxes there are pve buffs, and silly stuf like drinks wich disguise you as a monster or pets.

In the end if you dont want to open them just sell them to other players.

Also as Emwyn said abobe, they keys drop too, so not big deal.

• TorqiaTorqia Member UncommonPosts: 73

Random drop.. Its basicly just a drop item that you cant acces without gems bought in the shop.

Ofc you can trade gems from others but somebody has to buy them..

Its actualy a pretty normal use of cash shop.. Some games sell keys, Anet sells gems.. same deal. 

Originally posted by Distopia

I was under the impression the cash shop was not in this BWE, was that impression wrong? TO add to that I was also under the impression those keys drop in game.

The cash shop is in Distopia. There's a button in the top left to enter the cash shop. You can view things without entering any details. So far things are as previously leaked minus the  mystery boxes themselves, the megaphone and I really don't see any boosters at all unless I'm missing something?

The keys do drop, see my above post.

• KingJigglyKingJiggly Member Posts: 777

Originally posted by Emwyn

Random drops. There are 3 accounts going in my house. So far only one lockbox has dropped and one key has dropped. For the same person.

keys are also dropped.

I didnt know that... +1 Anet:)

To be honest thats really grand of them.

Originally posted by KingJiggly

keys are also dropped.

psst reread my post and you will see I said that very thing :)

• TwystTwyst Member UncommonPosts: 23

Originally posted by Torqia

Random drop.. Its basicly just a drop item that you cant acces without gems bought in the shop.

Ofc you can trade gems from others but somebody has to buy them..

Its actualy a pretty normal use of cash shop.. Some games sell keys, Anet sells gems.. same deal. 

I participated in the beta weekend and 'randomly looted' a chest. I also got a key as a reward on a quest and used it to open the chest. Inside the chest was some polymorph potions, a magic find boost and another key. So I wouldnt say "you cant access without gems bought in the shop"

The cash shop is in Distopia. There's a button in the top left to enter the cash shop. You can view things without entering any details. So far things are as previously leaked minus the  mystery boxes themselves, the megaphone and I really don't see any boosters at all unless I'm missing something?

The keys do drop, see my above post.

YEah I saw it right after my post submitted, :), you ninja.

• ebonizedebonized Member Posts: 58
    Not only do the keys drop (as others have said), but you can use in-game money to buy gems, which can buy the keys. I don't really see any downside

Originally posted by ebonized

Not only do the keeps drop (as others have said), but you can use in-game money to buy gems, which can buy the keys. I don't really see any downside

YEah it doesn't sound bad, and I'm glad they opted for a small Icon more or less out of sight.

snipped stuff

YEah I saw it right after my post submitted, :), you ninja.

hehe sorry image

"Kicks myself as i try to learn how to investigate an issue before making an "frustrated thread"

Thx for getting the facts straight:)

Originally posted by Torqia

"Kicks myself as i try to learn how to investigate an issue before making an "frustrated thread"

Thx for getting the facts straight:)

No worry Torqia. I have been a hugely sceptical about the cash shop but don't see an issue at this point as long as it remains very close to what it is now. And one of my other worries, I can honestly say I have yet to feel "inconvenienced" thanks be so that's something.

• jusomdudejusomdude Member RarePosts: 2,706

DCUO has lockboxes like this except you can't get the keys from anywhere but the cash shop... At least ANet lets you get the keys too even if they maybe have a low drop rate.

• WhiteProphetWhiteProphet Member UncommonPosts: 47
    I really don't see a problem i got 2 boxes and 1 key so far and don't reall care about this shit. The ex, carma bosts also don't seem that usefull to me so if you relly like the cosmetic minipets and stuff thats the only thing to spend money on.
  • feena750feena750 Member UncommonPosts: 330
    A key dropped for me, but I have not seen a box yet.  I don't think there is much of an issue with this.
  • koira1koira1 Member UncommonPosts: 264
    lucky, i only got 1 key drop so far..
  • gaeanprayergaeanprayer Member UncommonPosts: 2,341

Lockboxes are terrible, I have 3 keys and I've been selling them instead. To those who haven't opened any, I've gone through 5 and the stuff they pop out is crap :P You're not missing anything. Tonic to turn into various critters is kind of cute but it would be more amusing if you got specific skill sets as those critters, which you won't (it even says on the tonic you can't battle while transformed). Oh and sometimes I get those +XP boosts, but the XP boosts last 30 seconds, with that timer refreshes everytime you kill something. It's not easy to keep a kill streak going in this game, so really those aren't particularly useful either.

Ignore the boxes. Really, even if they didn't require a key to use, I'd still ignore them. Complete waste of inventory space, and you can't even NPC them. 

"Forums aren't for intelligent discussion; they're for blow-hards with unwavering opinions."

• XerithXerith Member Posts: 970
    I've gotten 2 chests and 3 keys so far on one character whos level 7, all from drops during events. The items in the chests were pretty minimal, some karma boost scrolls and some tonics to turn me into a jackalope. Remember this isnt a gear based game, it's not like the chest are going to contain the Ultimate Sword of Ultimate Killing which you can bring to PvP and destroy everything. The chests just contain some fun random items that you can take a gamble on. 
  • BeansnBreadBeansnBread Member EpicPosts: 7,254
    I have a box. Someone give me a key.
  • Atlan99Atlan99 Member UncommonPosts: 1,332

It is definitely pay for an edge. The 10% defense bonus, 50% xp bonus and 50% karma bonus will all give an edge. There are more those are just the ones that stand out.

In WvWvW a server could give itself a huge edge by buying gems and selling them for gold. It would give them an inexhaustible supply of seige weapons and keep defenses.

It really depends on where you draw the line for where Pay 2 Win starts.