Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

WvW: Long travel times, very little reward

13»

Comments

• jiveturkey12jiveturkey12 Member CommonPosts: 1,262

Originally posted by Requiamer

Originally posted by TwoThreeFour

Originally posted by biggarfoot

Originally posted by MMOExposed

WvW seem very lacking.

The Travel times are horrid, while at the same time its not rewarding. I can get way faster EXP from PvE than WvW per hour. its crazy.

I believe you need to get killing blow. and with issues already in place from the combat, it is very easy to die from zerging.

its not rewarding, and I feel this will have long lasting damage to WvW's appeal.

Most of my money I earn has to be spent in WvW just to repair Gear. this is a major issue.

Your not doing it right if your dieing a lot, and WvW isnt about getting xp, its a bonus.  The WvW will be a lot better once the game is released and guilds have got organised, most of us have been experimenting and finding our way around to get a better understanding of the battlefield.  If your watching your XP bar rather than watching whats happening in the field, you are not going to enjoy it.

As far as I know, it has been implicated or advertised that WvW is one viable way to level from level 1 all the way to lv80. So no, getting xp is not just a "bonus", it is a major aspect that they need to make sure is working.

Did you read my post, few post up? I disagree, if you have the same xp reward, people will have to choose if they want to xp through pvp or pve, and each time they will loose a big part of the pve world. Why would you go back in pve zones that give you no reward at all since you get them all from the mist? (except maybe to power level a friend or guildy) I'll rather be able to play both pve and pvp entirely, rather than have to skip big chunks. And honestly i think the majority wil rather be able to play both, rather than only one at a time, maybe i'm wrong, but i really don't believe i am.

I dont even care about exp in WvW, but thats mainly just because I enjoy the fun of fighting against actual player characters and having real competition. I guess some people want more, but to me its enough just that your guild will become a well known guild just by fighting for your server.

• Cod_EyeCod_Eye Member UncommonPosts: 1,016

Well if the OP is diying a lot, i understand his frustration, yes the waypoint is kind of far, if you are part of a server that took a lot of fort, and you will have to travel, even to take supply. But then again thats part of the balance. You wouldn't like people to respawn in the feild or have fast travel in the field as they do in many broken pvp games and have endless battle where nobody can win/loose except the zerg, right?

PS: If you are dying a lot, use ranged weapon, mass pvp need you to use ranged weapon unless you are in a charging phase.

If your working in a team as you should be, then your team members should be rezzing you, unless the whole team wipes, I have never needed to use the waypoint except to leave WvW, and there is 2 waypoints not one, you need to own the large keep which has a waypoint, this will bring you virtually to the middle of the battlefield.  I think this thread goes to show that there is a few people that are just not very good at RvR and want their hand held once again.

• TwoThreeFourTwoThreeFour Member UncommonPosts: 2,155

WvW seem very lacking.

The Travel times are horrid, while at the same time its not rewarding. I can get way faster EXP from PvE than WvW per hour. its crazy.

I believe you need to get killing blow. and with issues already in place from the combat, it is very easy to die from zerging.

its not rewarding, and I feel this will have long lasting damage to WvW's appeal.

Most of my money I earn has to be spent in WvW just to repair Gear. this is a major issue.

Your not doing it right if your dieing a lot, and WvW isnt about getting xp, its a bonus.  The WvW will be a lot better once the game is released and guilds have got organised, most of us have been experimenting and finding our way around to get a better understanding of the battlefield.  If your watching your XP bar rather than watching whats happening in the field, you are not going to enjoy it.

As far as I know, it has been implicated or advertised that WvW is one viable way to level from level 1 all the way to lv80. So no, getting xp is not just a "bonus", it is a major aspect that they need to make sure is working.

Did you read my post, few post up? I disagree, if you have the same xp reward, people will have to choose if they want to xp through pvp or pve, and each time they will loose a big part of the pve world. Why would you go back in pve zones that give you no reward at all since you get them all from the mist? (except maybe to power level a friend or guildy) I'll rather be able to play both pve and pvp entirely, rather than have to skip big chunks. And honestly i think the majority wil rather be able to play both, rather than only one at a time, maybe i'm wrong, but i really don't believe i am.

That's the point: to give a choice. As for why going back to PVE-zones: because the content itself is interesting? There was talks about there being three viable choices (by viable, it means that all have similar leveling speed): regular PVE, personal story and WvW. 

• RequiamerRequiamer Member Posts: 2,034

WvW seem very lacking.

That's the point: to give a choice. As for why going back to PVE-zones: because the content itself is interesting? There was talks about there being three viable choices (by viable, it means that all have similar leveling speed): regular PVE, personal story and WvW. 

I think i made it clear it would give you less choice. If you level from lv 5 to lv 30 in the mist, you are just not going to play all the lv5 to 30 pve zones right? With the actual system first you'll still be able to pvp as a lv 80 almost, and will be able to enjoy the entire pve game as well.

• RivalenRivalen Member Posts: 503

Originally posted by DarkPony

Originally posted by EvilGeek

The concerns about xp are valid, you should have the option to level in WvW at the same rate as PvE, but that factor also depends on population, you got to have the people to fight to get the xp so I can see a little difficulty in balancing that one, it definitely needs work though, there will be plenty with no interest in PvE wanting to level effectively in WvW.

Travel times HAVE to stay as they are imho, whats the point of having large maps in which to fight in if people are bypassing it all the time, there would be concentrated zerg fests around objectives close to waypoints and thats it. People having to travel the map on foot means far more opportunity for random encounters which after all make PvP like this more fun.

Pretty much this ^

XP concerns are valid, travel times are fine.

People getting back on the OP with the "kids these days want everything for free" reply aren't looking at this objectively. WvW should be properly incentivized as a true alternative for structured pvp, dungeons or world pve. It would be a shame if it ends up being a ghost town on most servers.

XP concerns are valid, already submited this in game also.

WvWvW is never going to be a ghost town Pony, trust me, most Daoc and War players i've talked to loved The Mists.

I feel like the "walking" issue is on purpose to provide some kind of time buffer, if people can fast travel or use faster "mounts" it wouldn't give people time to cause guerilla havoc, it does get a bit cumbersome but i see why they did it.

• DeaconXDeaconX Member UncommonPosts: 3,062

Originally posted by StoneRoses

Originally posted by kalimah

Thank god these people never played  MMORPGS like DAOC.  If we had "give me fast...give me all.." types of people in DAOC, that game would have failed from the start.   Suck it up...

Yeah, I know, this guy really complains a lot...

Maybe this will be his gamebreaker and we can see less of players like him around. 

No, nevermind, I don't thinks even possible. Folks around here force themselves to play a game they don't like all the damn time!

Why do I write, create, fantasize, dream and daydream about other worlds? Because I hate what humanity does with this one.

BOYCOTTING EA / ORIGIN going forward.

• just1opinionjust1opinion Member UncommonPosts: 4,641

WvW seem very lacking.

PVE zones always give rewards for your present level even if you've been leveled down.  There is NO POWERLEVELING in GW2.  When you go to a lower level zone you are leveled down to match that area.  You will still be stronger than average because you may have more skills and traits, but your level will go down to the level of the area.  Therefore, you can return to areas you "missed" and do the content, with some challenge, whenever you like.

President of The Marvelously Meowhead Fan Club

• dontadowdontadow Member UncommonPosts: 1,005
    Read this post and then jumped on WVW and spent an hour with a friend attacking caravans and supply posts. 2 hours in i got level 15 through 16.  It is viable.  
  • Arachneus1Arachneus1 Member UncommonPosts: 248
    The overtaking guilds need to install waypoints into the keeps....then your server will have fast travel times to each keep.  That is what is going to be the deciding factor if an army can get back faster
  • CrunkJuice2CrunkJuice2 Member Posts: 568

Originally posted by ebonized

WvW seem very lacking.

While you can do WvW at early levels, it just simply isn't really designed around it. I'm sure it gets better as you level up/acquire more gold/etc

Anet promised to make leveling via WvW a viable option. So this is no excuse.

welcome to life

its just like the saying "the only things promised in this world are death and taxes"the same applys to gw2.eather way,does leveling in pvp even matter,i was under the impression that you were basically playing a max level toon when you pvp'd anyway