Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

WvW: Long travel times, very little reward

MMOExposedMMOExposed Member RarePosts: 7,387

WvW seem very lacking.

The Travel times are horrid, while at the same time its not rewarding. I can get way faster EXP from PvE than WvW per hour. its crazy.

I believe you need to get killing blow. and with issues already in place from the combat, it is very easy to die from zerging.

its not rewarding, and I feel this will have long lasting damage to WvW's appeal.

Most of my money I earn has to be spent in WvW just to repair Gear. this is a major issue.

Philosophy of MMO Game Design

Comments

• ebonizedebonized Member Posts: 58

Originally posted by MMOExposed

WvW seem very lacking.

The Travel times are horrid, while at the same time its not rewarding. I can get way faster EXP from PvE than WvW per hour. its crazy.

I believe you need to get killing blow. and with issues already in place from the combat, it is very easy to die from zerging.

its not rewarding, and I feel this will have long lasting damage to WvW's appeal.

Most of my money I earn has to be spent in WvW just to repair Gear. this is a major issue.

While you can do WvW at early levels, it just simply isn't really designed around it. I'm sure it gets better as you level up/acquire more gold/etc

• MMOExposedMMOExposed Member RarePosts: 7,387

Originally posted by ebonized

WvW seem very lacking.

While you can do WvW at early levels, it just simply isn't really designed around it. I'm sure it gets better as you level up/acquire more gold/etc

Anet promised to make leveling via WvW a viable option. So this is no excuse.

• CromicaCromica Member UncommonPosts: 657

WvW seem very lacking.

Can you still level in pvp? Yes you can. This game in not about getting to max level fast, so it works just fine IMO

• ExcessionExcession Member RarePosts: 709

WvW seem very lacking.

In what way is it not viable? this is just the first BWE, the game has not launched.

Just because there is a lack of players in WvW now, does not mean that is how it will be all the time.

Personally, I would not expect to level the same in WvW as PVE anyway, as WvW is dependant on other players being there, and PVE is not.

A creative person is motivated by the desire to achieve, not the desire to beat others.

Originally posted by Byrhofen

WvW seem very lacking.

In what way is it not viable? this is just the first BWE, the game has not launched.

Just because there is a lack of players in WvW now, does not mean that is how it will be all the time.

Personally, I would not expect to level the same in WvW as PVE anyway, as WvW is dependant on other players being there, and PVE is not.

Being forced to Get Killing Blow just to get EXP from kills isnt good balance in design. its not Viable. simple as that.

• daniel!!!daniel!!! Member Posts: 400

WvW seem very lacking.

maybe your just bad at WvW ?  iv went in from the start on on character and absolutly destroyed it lol

Originally posted by Cromica

WvW seem very lacking.

Can you still level in pvp? Yes you can. This game in not about getting to max level fast, so it works just fine IMO

Oh yes it is, since higher level characters get the best/most skills. Higher Level > Lower Level.

and Leveling isnt Viable in WvW.

• ebonizedebonized Member Posts: 58

WvW seem very lacking.

Being forced to Get Killing Blow just to get EXP from kills isnt good balance in design. its not Viable. simple as that.

I agree. So report it, make a suggestion, try to improve the game before launch. That's why you're playing the beta, right? It's not a demo

• Master10KMaster10K Member Posts: 3,065

I'm not sure I agree with the whole killing blow thing you mentioned, because it seems you just have to deal a substantial amount of damage to your foe, in order gain XP & loot from a player (not an actual killing blow). I just think it needs to be balanced better, so that it is easier to pass the threshold to qualify for loot & XP from defeating a foe. Right now it doesn't feel as rewarding as PvE, but I find it more enjoyable than PvE (when it's open skirmishes & not Gate Wars 2).

My Level 5 Engineer entered WvW earlier today and now she's Level 8. Hasn't left yet. ^_^

• waynejr2waynejr2 Member EpicPosts: 7,769

WvW seem very lacking.

In your opinion which really isn't that important.

http://www.youhaventlived.com/qblog/2010/QBlog190810A.html  

Epic Music:   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vAigCvelkhQ&list=PLo9FRw1AkDuQLEz7Gvvaz3ideB2NpFtT1

https://archive.org/details/softwarelibrary_msdos?&sort=-downloads&page=1

Kyleran:  "Now there's the real trick, learning to accept and enjoy a game for what it offers rather than pass on what might be a great playing experience because it lacks a few features you prefer."

John Henry Newman: "A man would do nothing if he waited until he could do it so well that no one could find fault."

FreddyNoNose:  "A good game needs no defense; a bad game has no defense." "Easily digested content is just as easily forgotten."

LacedOpium: "So the question that begs to be asked is, if you are not interested in the game mechanics that define the MMORPG genre, then why are you playing an MMORPG?"

• Chrome1980Chrome1980 Member Posts: 511

WvW seem very lacking.

PVE in GW2 is very dependent upon other players because of DE's. you can try to lvl soloing  DE's but you won't get very far.

• kalimahkalimah Member Posts: 44
    Thank god these people never played  MMORPGS like DAOC.  If we had "give me fast...give me all.." types of people in DAOC, that game would have failed from the start.   Suck it up...

Originally posted by Chrome1980

WvW seem very lacking.

PVE in GW2 is very dependent upon other players because of DE's. you can try to lvl soloing  DE's but you won't get very far.

DE's scale to the amount of players taking part, so not really a valid statement.

A creative person is motivated by the desire to achieve, not the desire to beat others.

Originally posted by Master10K

I'm not sure I agree with the whole killing blow thing you mentioned, because it seems you just have to deal a substantial amount of damage to your foe, in order gain XP & loot from a player (not an actual killing blow). I just think it needs to be balanced better, so that it is easier to pass the threshold to qualify for loot & XP from defeating a foe. Right now it doesn't feel as rewarding as PvE, but I find it more enjoyable than PvE (when it's open skirmishes & not Gate Wars 2).

My Level 5 Engineer entered WvW earlier today and now she's Level 8. Hasn't left yet. ^_^

I just tested this. Fighting a NPC in PvP for a bit, while kiting to guard and let a Guard get KB. No EXP was gained.

• skeaserskeaser Member RarePosts: 4,180
    Make sure to post a constructive list of your concerns on the GW2 forums. That's the whole reason for these tests. If you feel something needs adjustment make sure to list what and why. If enough players share your feelings the devs will likely fix it. If there's no feedback they won't know that it needs to be fixed.
    Sig so that badges don't eat my posts.

WvW seem very lacking.

DE's scale to the amount of players taking part, so not really a valid statement.

It is very valid statement because even if you do DE with 3 or 4 people you are still dependent on other players You said WVW is player dependent but PVE isn't. So you are contradicting your own statement regardless of DE's scaling according to party size.

And if you solo it and think you can finish all the stages be my guest. You will most probably end up dead and move on to next DE just to leave it half finished once again.

• StoneRosesStoneRoses Member RarePosts: 1,779

Originally posted by kalimah

Thank god these people never played  MMORPGS like DAOC.  If we had "give me fast...give me all.." types of people in DAOC, that game would have failed from the start.   Suck it up...

Yeah, I know, this guy really complains a lot...

Maybe this will be his gamebreaker and we can see less of players like him around. 

No, nevermind, I don't thinks even possible. Folks around here force themselves to play a game they don't like all the damn time!

MMORPGs aren't easy, You're just too PRO!
  • synnsynn Member UncommonPosts: 563

WvW seem very lacking.

they have constant events ongoing and you can get xp from participating in those also. WvW isn't that bad aslong as you play smart. I think i died like 3 times in 2 1/2 hours and got 2 lvls and a pretty new sword.

• ReklawReklaw Member UncommonPosts: 6,495

WvW seem very lacking.

Just curious, how long have you been in beta? Did it cross your mind many people might want to try out other things like actually getting to know their character and the gameworld before they might enter WvW?

In what way are the travel times horrid? I read there are teleports of some sorts, you need to travel on foot first to enable them? could that solve your issue partially??

In what way is WvW not rewarding? because you rush into it? << question, not many people in yet?? << another question

You made this topic but you're not giving any substantial information.

WvW seem very lacking.

It is very valid statement because even if you do DE with 3 or 4 people you are still dependent on other players You said WVW is player dependent but PVE isn't. So you are contradicting your own statement regardless of DE's scaling according to party size.

And if you solo it and think you can finish all the stages be my guest. You will most probably end up dead and move on to next DE just to leave it half finished once again.

Already did take part in some DEs solo, last night and today, took part in some with a couple of other players, and took part in some with a lot of other players, and all of it was fun, and I actually died the most doing the DEs with a lot of other players.

So no, I am not contradicting myself at all, you do not have to depend on other players for PVE, it is exactly that, player versus environment, and is always there waiting for you.

• DragimDragim Member UncommonPosts: 867

Looking for a Bard/Skald/(insert albion equiv) to run frontiers with us!   lol.

But yes I whole-heartedly agree that too often people are in the mentality of "give me fast...give me all".

MMOs never would have made it to what we have today if people requested this from day 1.  If you have ever had to run manually across the original Karanas in everquest, you would know what I am talking about.

People are way too spoiled now adays and with the ME generation and their sense of entitlement, (which MMOs seem to cater to, easier games = more $$ it seems) it is unfortunate that us who would perhaps a "longer/more difficult" mmo can't have it due to the fickleness of the new MMO players.

Sure, there might be enough "hardcore" players who wish to have difficult challenging leveling, maybe taking 3+ months to reach the level cap, but when a game like this comes out, they get seperated into different servers, with all the filler people being the Flavor of the Month people who then leave and cause servers to implode, thus causing the game to enter a downward spiral.

"What?!?!! No dungeon finder tool?!? OMG!~ THIS GAME BLOWS!"...yes, because you base a game on how easy it is to level/find groups.  When did it stop being about the adventure and start being about instant gratification in which everything is handed to you so you can complain a month after release about lack of content and nothing to do. (open betas help move this month window to about 2 weeks, since open betas allow everyone to figure out how to level the quickest/most efficient, ignoring the rest of the game, then complaining there is nothing to do when they reach the top.)

I am entitled to my opinions, misspellings, and grammatical errors.

Already did take part in some DEs solo, last night and today, took part in some with a couple of other players, and took part in some with a lot of other players, and all of it was fun, and I actually died the most doing the DEs with a lot of other players.

So no, I am not contradicting myself at all, you do not have to depend on other players for PVE, it is exactly that, player versus environment, and is always there waiting for you.

So couple of other players and with lots of other players.. in both cases you were dependent upon others. And if you have been successfully soloing de's please feel free to post videos as i would really like to see it. 

• LexinLexin Member UncommonPosts: 701

Originally posted by Dragim

Looking for a Bard/Skald/(insert albion equiv) to run frontiers with us!   lol.

But yes I whole-heartedly agree that too often people are in the mentality of "give me fast...give me all".

MMOs never would have made it to what we have today if people requested this from day 1.  If you have ever had to run manually across the original Karanas in everquest, you would know what I am talking about.

People are way too spoiled now adays and with the ME generation and their sense of entitlement, (which MMOs seem to cater to, easier games = more $$ it seems) it is unfortunate that us who would perhaps a "longer/more difficult" mmo can't have it due to the fickleness of the new MMO players.

Sure, there might be enough "hardcore" players who wish to have difficult challenging leveling, maybe taking 3+ months to reach the level cap, but when a game like this comes out, they get seperated into different servers, with all the filler people being the Flavor of the Month people who then leave and cause servers to implode, thus causing the game to enter a downward spiral.

"What?!?!! No dungeon finder tool?!? OMG!~ THIS GAME BLOWS!"...yes, because you base a game on how easy it is to level/find groups.  When did it stop being about the adventure and start being about instant gratification in which everything is handed to you so you can complain a month after release about lack of content and nothing to do. (open betas help move this month window to about 2 weeks, since open betas allow everyone to figure out how to level the quickest/most efficient, ignoring the rest of the game, then complaining there is nothing to do when they reach the top.)

Exactly why I don't really play MMO's and I have only been playing since 03 and find the new breed of MMO's and the community to be horrid. Yeah I did not play most of the original MMO's but the one i did play you worked your ass off for something. People don't want to work for stuff anymore. You call it the ME generation I call it the I want it now generation.

So couple of other players and with lots of other players.. in both cases you were dependent upon others. And if you have been successfully soloing de's please feel free to post videos as i would really like to see it. 

*Sigh*

Not dependant on others at all, they just happened to be there.

If they were not there, I would still have taken part in the exact same activity, would have still tried to kill the exact same mobs, would have still ran around the exact same places.

I may not have been successful in everything that I tried to do, but I also would not be depending on other players to do any of it.

But carry on twisting my post into something that suits you.

Originally posted by Dragim

"What?!?!! No dungeon finder tool?!? OMG!~ THIS GAME BLOWS!"...

actually LFG is in the social window