Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Buy or is it time to turn the damn hypemeter down on this one?

2»

Comments

• cesmode8cesmode8 Member UncommonPosts: 431

Originally posted by Kakkzooka

Originally posted by Vesavius

Originally posted by cesmode8

...but performance and engine optimization needs to be better.  I know they said its not optimized, but why the hell release a beta with it not? 

/facepalm

/double facepalm

Something must be wrong with your face too.  Get it fixt.

Oh oops did I say something negative about the game?  Listen, I am/was as hyped as anyone about this game.  But with the lag, fps issues, disconnect issues, bugs, not to mention removing some features of the game that really attracted me(and this one is big), my hype for the game went donw.

OMG yes I know it is beta, trust me.  I eat my own words.  But I cannot help the bad taste this beta has left in my mouth for GW2.  I hope the next BWE is a bit better.

• GiddianGiddian Member UncommonPosts: 418

...but performance and engine optimization needs to be better.  I know they said its not optimized, but why the hell release a beta with it not? 

/facepalm

Something wrong with your face?  Ive participated in betas for a half dozen games, this one's performance is the worst.  Its a poor guage to measure how your computer will hold up against the game if it isnt tuned properly.

How right you are. They released this beta weekend so you could tune your computer, not so they can tune the Game.  Good call

Originally posted by Giddian

/facepalm

Something wrong with your face?  Ive participated in betas for a half dozen games, this one's performance is the worst.  Its a poor guage to measure how your computer will hold up against the game if it isnt tuned properly.

How right you are. They released this beta weekend so you could tune your computer, not so they can tune the Game.  Good call

Who said anything about tuning?  Apparently you cannot read.  Betas are to test the game, find bugs, find glitches, determine performance issues etc.  I think jotting down performance feedback from its customers is vital.  Sorry you dont understand that :(

• terrantterrant Member Posts: 1,683

/facepalm

/double facepalm

Oh oops did I say something negative about the game?  Listen, I am/was as hyped as anyone about this game.  But with the lag, fps issues, disconnect issues, bugs, not to mention removing some features of the game that really attracted me(and this one is big), my hype for the game went donw.

OMG yes I know it is beta, trust me.  I eat my own words.  But I cannot help the bad taste this beta has left in my mouth for GW2.  I hope the next BWE is a bit better.

Let's sit aside the technical issues for a moment...and BTW try playing this morning, they're pretty much gone from what I'm hearing.

What features that you were looking forward to were removed? I haven't heard of any offhand.

• GiddianGiddian Member UncommonPosts: 418

/facepalm

Who said anything about tuning?  Apparently you cannot read.  Betas are to test the game, find bugs, find glitches, determine performance issues etc.  I think jotting down performance feedback from its customers is vital.  Sorry you dont understand that :(

this is the first of many Beta weekends, and you are going to judge the performance on the 1st one? Realy? and I can read fine, Can you?

• AvatarBladeAvatarBlade Member UncommonPosts: 757

Originally posted by terrant

/facepalm

/double facepalm

Let's sit aside the technical issues for a moment...and BTW try playing this morning, they're pretty much gone from what I'm hearing.

What features that you were looking forward to were removed? I haven't heard of any offhand.

Think upscaling is the feature that they removed and it upsets him, because it limits the exploration.

/facepalm

/double facepalm

I will say that I have noticed a significant performance improvement this morning.  Possibly due to a lot of people moving to other zones.  But who knows for sure.  I am having a better time playing a necro, its a lot easier and more engaging.

The one feature I really was pysched about was the sidekicking system, specifically sidekicking up.  I cant have my buddy come quest with ME, Id have to go quest with him.  I cant have him come up to my level to run a dungeon, I have to go to his.  They removed side kicking up...was a big seller for me.

@avatarblade: exactly.  I was really attracted to the game because I was stoked about just running off exploring, with or without friends, no matter the level.  Levels really had no meaning and for me, I LOVED that.  It was so different than every other MMO out there just for that reason.  Now, if I go off exploring, I get two shotted by 3 levels higher.  Im gated to the zone in which I am currently leveled, much like every other MMO.

Many approve of this change, I personally dont.  Just my opinion

• terrantterrant Member Posts: 1,683

/facepalm

/double facepalm

I will say that I have noticed a significant performance improvement this morning.  Possibly due to a lot of people moving to other zones.  But who knows for sure.  I am having a better time playing a necro, its a lot easier and more engaging.

The one feature I really was pysched about was the sidekicking system, specifically sidekicking up.  I cant have my buddy come quest with ME, Id have to go quest with him.  I cant have him come up to my level to run a dungeon, I have to go to his.  They removed side kicking up...was a big seller for me.

I don't remember ever seeing them say they were doing up- always down.

All the same, I can understand that being a concern. Personally I can't see it being a game killer for me, because me and whoever I was with could just find something we could both do...there does seem to be plenty after all. But that's my own personal take.

And performance probably is a mixture of people spreading out, as you said, and the fact they took the servers down to fix things at least once last night. Heard people saying they were getting better results even then. The Overflow/can't group with your friends cause you have no idea where the hell everyone is thing was still an issue though.

• VesaviusVesavius Member RarePosts: 7,908

/facepalm

Yeah, people like you keep making me hit it.

If you can't see the inherent silliniess of your statement I don't know how to explain it to you.

Side kicking up was definately in the game plan.  There is a thread in guru that has a link to an interview with the dev team, where they say they removed it so that we mantain the feel of "oh a bigger badder monster, I must run away".

• Chrome1980Chrome1980 Member Posts: 511

/facepalm

this is the first of many Beta weekends, and you are going to judge the performance on the 1st one? Realy? and I can read fine, Can you?

Beta"s have been going on for quite a few months now. This is more like a stress test to load servers.

• Mike-McQueenMike-McQueen Member UncommonPosts: 267
    So at level 3 people expect to slay giants and dragons and all that? Dude earn your stripes. Centaurs and bandits are a good place to start. You should be playing the pve with a balance of exploration and combat so that when you finish exploring the zone you're ready for the next.

I'm a unique and beautiful snowflake.

• IPolygonIPolygon Member UncommonPosts: 707
    Since the servers are really overpopulated I was often kicked from a server or experienced lag spikes. As this has to be expected from the first public beta, I don't mind it that much. From what I could play myself, I'd say this game is much more fun in PvP than in PvE in comparison to other games. That could be me, though. Pve seems to be mostly average all in all. Pvp seems to be one of the best you could play on release for the next couple of months or years depending on ANet and the competition.
  • LucioonLucioon Member UncommonPosts: 819

the log in problem got fixed for me within 4 hours after the beginning of the BWE, it was the transfer world server that was plaguing me till this morning.

This game has not Release date, there is no set launch, its the very first BWE

ANET should have just choosen 500k beta signups instead of offering BWE to pre-purchasers.

All these whiny posts after posts of players that believe that the Very First BWE is the final product. Every Press Video showned exactly what you will experience. Its different enough that you will spent hours just exploring the cities.

I believe this game will be a success, if every game out there offers BWE prior to launch, they would eliminate so much problems on their official launches.

Life is a Maze, so make sure you bring your GPS incase you get lost in it.

• DaSpackDaSpack Member UncommonPosts: 589

Originally posted by Lucioon

the log in problem got fixed for me within 4 hours after the beginning of the BWE, it was the transfer world server that was plaguing me till this morning.

This game has not Release date, there is no set launch, its the very first BWE

ANET should have just choosen 500k beta signups instead of offering BWE to pre-purchasers.

All these whiny posts after posts of players that believe that the Very First BWE is the final product. Every Press Video showned exactly what you will experience. Its different enough that you will spent hours just exploring the cities.

I believe this game will be a success, if every game out there offers BWE prior to launch, they would eliminate so much problems on their official launches.

When is launch? Some say over 6 months from now. Perhaps there is good hope then?

The Ultimate Breakdown

• RequiamerRequiamer Member Posts: 2,034

I didn't regret a second my pre purchase, in fact i don't know what i'm doing here, i should rather play since the event is ending soon, just taking a pause i guess.

Performance? well the login server died twice, once friday night and saturday night, saturday they fix it up pretty quicly though, i thing 1 and 1/2 hour after all was running great. The server was really laggy on friday night (euro here), but since saturday morning it work well. I use a 3ghz duo core and a gtx560 and the game is running well on default setting (medium to low). yes they need to optimize it a bit more to let people with worst computer to play a well. I played WvW with a t least 50 to 100 guys and it was very smooth. The game look great even at lowest setting, so you won't loose much if you are going for performance compared to other mmo that will make it a eyesore that look like a circa '90 game at low setting.