Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Iam at the point, where I would actually like a Healer profession

Comments

• RivalenRivalen Member Posts: 503

Originally posted by Purutzil

I really feel there should be a 'healer' class, but more to the extent on focus on support. A 'healer' doesn't nessiarily have to be able to suddenly spike everyones helath up to max, but maybe providing some 'nourishment' while providing mostly supportive measures to help allies enough. A support type like that would I feel vastly aid people who like taking a 'healing'  role in getting into the game while also not 'forcing' a healer to being part of gameplay. Someone who can provide supportive means to aid allies which makes up for their lack of damage potential, though at the same time they should be able to provide enough 'umph' to themselves that they can attribute. 

Most classes can do that.

Engineer and Guardian.

What i feel people are asking for is for healbots but can't really admit it.

Pvp without healers is a different beast.

• IzkimarIzkimar Member UncommonPosts: 568

Originally posted by Purutzil

I really feel there should be a 'healer' class, but more to the extent on focus on support. A 'healer' doesn't nessiarily have to be able to suddenly spike everyones helath up to max, but maybe providing some 'nourishment' while providing mostly supportive measures to help allies enough. A support type like that would I feel vastly aid people who like taking a 'healing'  role in getting into the game while also not 'forcing' a healer to being part of gameplay. Someone who can provide supportive means to aid allies which makes up for their lack of damage potential, though at the same time they should be able to provide enough 'umph' to themselves that they can attribute. 

Lol everything you just explained is in the game exactly as mentioned ;).  Look at all the different skills on the different weapon sets, look at the traits and utilities, etc..  There are plenty of setups that have great support potential. 

• SoulSurferSoulSurfer Member UncommonPosts: 1,024

Originally posted by Chrome1980

The problem is not lack of healer but too much aoe and high dps with very low heals given to classes. If they reduce aoe a bit and increase individual heals for better survival... maybe gameplay will be less chaotic and players won't be hitting rez button that much.

But no to healers.

this^

• DistasteDistaste Member UncommonPosts: 665

Originally posted by Rivalen

The problem is not lack of healer but too much aoe and high dps with very low heals given to classes. If they reduce aoe a bit and increase individual heals for better survival... maybe gameplay will be less chaotic and players won't be hitting rez button that much.

But no to healers.

It's lack of knowledge and people are too used to the trinity.

I went at least 4 pvp matches without dying once, even when outnumbered, the classes have escape mechanics, people just don't use them.

PS- Rocket boots and Jump Shot are so awesome <3.

While that may be true to some extent that isn't what he is talking about. He is talking about the mobs/bosses that have AOE's that do huge amounts of damage(some insta-gib) and the heals that only give you back like 50%. Now dodging should play a part but in more than a few cases with either server lag, a bug where there is no red circle, or too many people in the area you just don't have time to dodge. The flame shaman in the charr area is good example. With 50+ people in those narrow areas you can't even see the shaman let alone what he is doing. So suddenly you will just see an entire area of people drop dead(its quite humorous). In the one skillpoint catacombs(the one with multiple bosses) the last boss has an attack that you cannot see coming and insta-gibs most people.

Don't get me wrong, it isn't terrible by any means but I feel the damage could be tuned a bit better for some mobs/bosses at least in the charr area. Some places even with the appropriate level you're constantly being swarmed with multiple mobs and 1 is already a handful.

• BlindchanceBlindchance Member UncommonPosts: 1,112
    It looks like AOEs are going to be a major issue. I hope they balance it out.
  • MMOExposedMMOExposed Member RarePosts: 7,387

But no to healers.

I went at least 4 pvp matches without dying once, even when outnumbered, the classes have escape mechanics, people just don't use them.

You were a Ranged fighter.... Nuff said 

Philosophy of MMO Game Design

• terrantterrant Member Posts: 1,683

Originally posted by MMOExposed

But no to healers.

You were a Ranged fighter.... Nuff said 

Melee (sword/pistol offhand) mesmer here...yes the fights were tough, but I don't think having a healer is A) necessary or B) would help much.

Fun into pack of mobs, summoning my pistol phastasm as I charge in. Unload melee skills, summon sword clone and roll back. shatter to stun/damage/defense boot me, depending on circumstance. Dodge roll as needed, heal sresets quick enough if I'm not dumb.

Only times I've downed I was either A) hopelessly outnumbered B) Not paying attention.

• QSatuQSatu Member UncommonPosts: 1,795
    The only moment when you can die instantly is when people zerg dynamic events and those scale so high that you are getting swarmed by mobs. It's just a balance issue. If you know how to play you won't die. people who say they do are simply bad. Dodge and casting while moving are there for a reason.
  • MikehaMikeha Member EpicPosts: 9,196
    Sorry but a game is just more fun with classes for different roles. This is just one of the many things Guild Wars 2 did wrong.
  • synnsynn Member UncommonPosts: 563

i don't see how players are dying so easily. The only time i died was when lag got so bad i went from alive to being dead immediately and once when i decided to charge in to a pack of mobs 3 lvls higher then me. I honestly like this new system because it doesn't allow for players be just stand around and catch heals or complain about how bad of a job their healer is doing.

• GalaxyzGalaxyz Member Posts: 22
    I voted No. And I hope the devs never ever introduce a healer profession. Why? Because it makes things too easy. That's right.
  • Size-TwelveSize-Twelve Member UncommonPosts: 478

I think the OP has a point. PvP combat does feel very chaotic right now, You can easily be one or two shotted by things going on behind you or off to the side.

As I have gotten better at dodging and watching though, it is getting better. I remember vanilla WOW feeling very chaotic like this as well back in the old fights at Sothshore vs. Tarren Mill.

There are events though that simply feel "unmanageable", as though nothing you cold have done would have prevented defeat. The AoE damage and zerg tactics by some of the mobs, especially in the Charr area is pretty insane. I'm not convinced adding healers is the answer though.

• maskedweaselmaskedweasel Member LegendaryPosts: 12,173

Originally posted by Vepgenus

Originally posted by maskedweasel

Originally posted by WardTheGreat

Originally posted by maskedweasel

Kind of.  I was just playing an elementalist with a staff, using water attunement,  and i was able to hit some heavy burst heals that regenned pretty quickly,  plus a really decent large scale AOE heal that wasn't too shabby either.

Apart from that I only had 1 other support ability in that attunement and 2 damage abilities.  I was able to keep a small team up against a much larger team for a good amount of time with just those 2 heals.  It was about the last 2 or so hours of my livestream.

You can easily play a dedicated healer if you want to..  I was under the impression there were no healers in this game,  but my elementalist was a pretty good healer... its just tougher to be a good healer as all the abilities are aoe, and most of the time people just run through them without realizing its healing them.

The engineer bacpack isn't nearly as useful.  You drop bags, but if you run forward, more times than not you'll pick them up if you're hurt...  I love playing support characters,  but between the two, as far as healing goes,  elementalist is easy in comparison to the engineers pack.

Good tactics are important,  but unfortunately, in the W v W v W that I've done,  it really still comes down to.. numbers.. just numbers....  even if you watch that last bit,  I kept a lot of people up and we bombarded the other team for a long time, even took a few down, they just overpowered us... and it was like that in most cases.. either us on them, or them on us... and thats the point of these kinds of games, so before people start complaining about zergs,  that is exactly what you want when you ask for this kind of PvP.

Nah I disagree, the cooldowns on the heals are spaced out so you can continuously burst heal at all times.  Also, it isn't always about numbers, Idk if he has the stream saved, but in the stream I linked, when I was playing earlier we had 6v15+ more than once and won out.  I really see zerging being decently affective early on, but when the game is out for awhile you will see plenty of small groups dismantling unorganized zergs.  Zergs will be for the players who aren't as frequent in PvP/comfortable, new players, and for major important battles, but usually a bulk of the stuff is going to be done with smaller groups that coordinate well.

I would have to disagree on that....  I forsee bigger guilds getting together and flash attacking keeps in the future.  A small coordinated team of 4 - 6 people is great for late night battles, or taking supply lines,  but the numbers will consistently win given time.

I have my entire.. 6 - 10 hours saved from my livestream.  You'll see a number of times where we (with me as a healer) were able to push back a team with a few more guys.  At one point we took a supply point.. about 6 - 8 of us or so,  and then we were attacked by about 12 - 15  (its around the 2 hour mark of the latest video)  and we did end up taking them,  until they picked up reinforcements and completely outnumbered us.  I think there were still some survivors,  but the point remains, while a coordinated team will be better overall,  numbers have proven, even in this game, to be more powerful.

Not just against other players, but have you tried to bring down a gate yet?  Even with a Ram and no defenders, it takes a very long time even with 20 people....  I think I have that recorded in the latest video too...  I'm probably going to put a highlight reel together at some point.

Needless to say,  the small heal with the quick cooldown can heal most players to full,  and the other AOE heal can heal most to half,   I think we'll see many more elementalist healers later on.

I'm confused I thought there was no specific healer in GW2, what u just said right now makes no sense. So the Elementalist is a dedicated healer? How is that possible?

Thats what I thought, but apparently, with the staff and water attunement,  you have at least 2 weapon abilities that are heals, and they heal for a very good amount.  As stated, check out the live stream and you can see my heals in action,  they aren't shabby at all,  nothing like I thought they would be.  

Of course thats just one spec out of many for the elementalist,  but still.

• ebonizedebonized Member Posts: 58

Originally posted by Azureblaze

I started up a Guardian and looked at a lot of their skills and slot skills..they actually have quite a few group heals, even an AOE frontal cone. How effective it would actually be on a group , as in enough to make a difference to save your arse? Can't say.

Iam playing Melee guardian, and we are getting creamed by unavoidable AoE. Heals from AoE guards  don't do a thing to counter the AoE that is going on. Sure others agree by now.

I'm playing my Guardian just fine, lol. No problems here (although I had some from like 3-6, but nothing insurmountable)

• StoneRosesStoneRoses Member RarePosts: 1,771

Wow, so much die and revive. Some attacks simply can't be avoided without being shut down.

a healing class would be nice. The AoE here is crazy. 

I had asked this question in the game, and got lots of agreement .

what about you all?

I love healing classes! Though, you must be really terrible!

All the tools you need to stay alive are there.

MMORPGs aren't easy, You're just too PRO!

Originally posted by StoneRoses

Wow, so much die and revive. Some attacks simply can't be avoided without being shut down.

what about you all?

um is that your only argument? you said nothing here.

• MephsterMephster Member Posts: 1,188
    An engineer with a med kit helps greatly. We don't need no dedicated healers, we just need smarter play.

Grim Dawn, the next great action rpg!

http://www.grimdawn.com/

Originally posted by Mephster

An engineer with a med kit helps greatly. We don't need no dedicated healers, we just need smarter play.

Right now there are three roles

Control, Damage, Support.

But none of them are balanced against each other. aka (Control == Damage == Support)

atm its

Damage>Control>Support

no way to counter damage with support. same for control.

• AmjocoAmjoco Member UncommonPosts: 4,860
    I'm personally tired of people complaining about there being no challenge in mmorpgs anymore and then when there is they want it easier. Another poster had complained about the scaling not being set right and he was being killed over and over in a certain area. He wanted it to be easier! I vote no for fluffy! If this game is designed for you to learn not to die because you don't have someone there to keep you healed then you need a new tactic or simply don't play.

Death is nothing to us, since when we are, Death has not come, and when death has come, we are not.

• Size-TwelveSize-Twelve Member UncommonPosts: 478

Originally posted by Mephster
    Right now there are three roles

Control, Damage, Support.

But none of them are balanced against each other. aka (Control == Damage == Support)

atm its
    Damage>Control>Support
    no way to counter damage with support. same for control.

I think there will be counters to damage that start showing up in structured PvP. Confusion. Deflection, Walls, Teleports, Dodging, Blocking etc., are ways to counter damage without direct healing. It definitely is a different style of play though, and it feels kind of crazy right now.

• waynejr2waynejr2 Member EpicPosts: 7,769

Originally posted by fivoroth

Dying a lot is good right? I thought a lot of people on these forums were complaining that nowadays you never die in MMOs.

I died a lot in GW1 too especially in the beginning because the game was actually that - a game. And a game requires skill and attention to play unlike MMOs where you just faceroll the keyboard and you win.

I think you will find on this forum people attacking a game because it lacks something (like death) then turn around in another game and complain about that fact that you can die.  They bitch about wanting something different (especially from wow) and when a game does that whey want those features back.  This thread is one of those situations.

http://www.youhaventlived.com/qblog/2010/QBlog190810A.html  

Epic Music:   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vAigCvelkhQ&list=PLo9FRw1AkDuQLEz7Gvvaz3ideB2NpFtT1

https://archive.org/details/softwarelibrary_msdos?&sort=-downloads&page=1

Kyleran:  "Now there's the real trick, learning to accept and enjoy a game for what it offers rather than pass on what might be a great playing experience because it lacks a few features you prefer."

John Henry Newman: "A man would do nothing if he waited until he could do it so well that no one could find fault."

FreddyNoNose:  "A good game needs no defense; a bad game has no defense." "Easily digested content is just as easily forgotten."

LacedOpium: "So the question that begs to be asked is, if you are not interested in the game mechanics that define the MMORPG genre, then why are you playing an MMORPG?"

Originally posted by StoneRoses

what about you all?

um is that your only argument? you said nothing here.

You're obviously learning how to PLAY or you should learn to play another STYLE that doesn't suit you.

You want comfort, convenience, or something more familar, well,  this is probably not it. It's been said long before BWE that there is no dedicated healer.

You are probably that same guy who can't move out of shit in WoW even with all the flashing signals and idicattors on the ground tell you " hey, you should prolly fucking move!"

• waynejr2waynejr2 Member EpicPosts: 7,769

Originally posted by Vinterkrig

Originally posted by Galaxyz

I voted No. And I hope the devs never ever introduce a healer profession. Why? Because it makes things too easy. That's right.

and every class having some sort of way to heal at least 50% of their HP isn't too easy? lol.... ok

If that is the case, then this thread is pointless.  Can't have it both ways.

http://www.youhaventlived.com/qblog/2010/QBlog190810A.html  

Epic Music:   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vAigCvelkhQ&list=PLo9FRw1AkDuQLEz7Gvvaz3ideB2NpFtT1

https://archive.org/details/softwarelibrary_msdos?&sort=-downloads&page=1

Kyleran:  "Now there's the real trick, learning to accept and enjoy a game for what it offers rather than pass on what might be a great playing experience because it lacks a few features you prefer."

John Henry Newman: "A man would do nothing if he waited until he could do it so well that no one could find fault."

FreddyNoNose:  "A good game needs no defense; a bad game has no defense." "Easily digested content is just as easily forgotten."

LacedOpium: "So the question that begs to be asked is, if you are not interested in the game mechanics that define the MMORPG genre, then why are you playing an MMORPG?"

Originally posted by Vinterkrig

Originally posted by Galaxyz

and every class having some sort of way to heal at least 50% of their HP isn't too easy? lol.... ok

Well, apparently the OP is having a very hard time staying alive.

What's easy to you is hard for him.

• AeonAeon Member Posts: 39

I think the OP is at the point where he hasn't yet learned how to play the game with a decent bit of skill. Therefore you want to rely on someone else to keep you alive instead of learning to keep yourself alive. I admit that I haven't played yet but I have been watching lots of live streams and in most of the streams where people are complaining about difficulty, it is obvious that they don't know how to play yet. I have also seen some other live streams where people are constantly moving, dancing around their opponents and using defensive and control abilities at the right times. Those people are surviving quite nicely and even killing Veteran and Elite mobs of higher level.

On another note I have also noticed that those that started playing in the open PvE area and were surrounded by tons of other players did get hit pretty hard. Possibly because of scaling issues, but beta is beta. Bring those scaling issues to the GW2 forums and see how they are handled in the next beta.

I'll once again state that I haven't played yet and that this is just what I have noticed and my opinion.