Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

All NA Digital Editions SOLD OUT

Comments

• TheYear1500TheYear1500 Member UncommonPosts: 531

Originally posted by sicness277

Originally posted by Banisco

Originally posted by Rednecksith

Nothing like artificially limiting the supply of a (theoretically) infinitely distributable product to increase demand. How classy. If any other company did this (like Blizzard, EA, THQ, etc.), people would be calling for blood. But since Arenanet can apparently do no wrong, everybody's cool with it. UGH.

Though I've got to hand it to them, it's brilliant marketing at least.

Or maybe they just want to ensure a good service for those in beta and study the data they recibe to increase the number of servers and improve performance. But yes, you seem to be right... they are limiting the number of unlimited digital copies to increase demand...

Why should anyone care about the service they give to beta players? Beta isn't about enjoying the game before it's released, it's about testing. 

If anything a company would want a near launch amount of people in certain stages of betas in order to work out bugs as well as stress test the servers, not limit them via pre-orders of all things. 

BWE are not about the players testing anything.  We will not be filling out bug reports.  They are using this as Free advertising. 

• sammyelisammyeli Member Posts: 765

Originally posted by graggok

Originally posted by sammyeli

Originally posted by HorrorScope

its boils down to one thing......they need to boost their box sales, they didn't print all those discs not to sell them, its a smart move on their marketing department

Is this sarcasm? Hard to read into this one.

no its legit

Umm GW2 will not be on disc at all no matter where you get it from no matter what edition, its digital even if you buy the box.

Except the key is in the box..... and the Collectors Edition has a disc....I've seen it

Ummmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm The cds in the box are OST O_O

“The truth may be puzzling. It may take some work to grapple with. It may be counterintuitive. It may contradict deeply held prejudices. It may not be consonant with what we desperately want to be true. But our preferences do not determine what's true.”

Carl Sagan-

• joocheesejoocheese Member Posts: 845

Originally posted by Unlight

Nothing like artificially limiting the supply of a (theoretically) infinitely distributable product to increase demand. How classy. If any other company did this (like Blizzard, EA, THQ, etc.), people would be calling for blood. But since Arenanet can apparently do no wrong, everybody's cool with it. UGH.

This post is gold right here.

Nah.  Maybe pyrite. 

There are 48 servers and the estimated number of people who prepurchased is somewhere around 200,000 so far, based on some guesswork.  That's over 4000 per server already.  4000 per untested, un-optimized server.  And EU isn't sold out yet.  Plus there's the press coming and the 10,000+ actual beta testers already in the game.  Sounds plausible to limit the number of additional testers with that in mind. 

Although it is also some brilliant marketing.  I can't remember ever hearing about a game company *refusing* sales, for whatever the reason.  You have to admit, the trend has been to push the stuff out the door and damn the consequences.  It shows a lot of confidence to hold back sales.  They *know* people will be back for it later.

Now THAT is a golden post.

Originally posted by fundayz

Originally posted by colddog04

This is an attempt to keep the beta weekend load under control and they should be commended for making the hard decision to stop taking people's money in the interest of a healthy BETA.

This. They told us weeks ago that they would temporarily restrict pre-purchases if they reached their beta limit.

Anybody claiming that this is some marketing ploy has no clue of what they are talking about.

Originally posted by Cyberdeck7

Why can I still get it from everywhere else?

Because distributors don't listen. They didn't listen when they were told not to pre-purchase anything until the 10th either.

Its because A.Net sends codes to every one else in a lump number.  Depending on how many a given site wants.  When that site runs out they thave to get more codes from A.Net.  So has more poeple buy from other sites (not A.Net) those sites will start showing sold out as well. 

• UngoHumungoUngoHumungo Member Posts: 518

Originally posted by silvermember

let's assume there's some truth to all the people crying marketing trick, my question is: what difference does it make? Does saying that magically produce more copies? Np. Does saying that help the people the ppl who want to buy it feel better? No. does saying help you sleep at nite? No, if your answer is yes,you really need a life.

no think of it this way,  you spend x amouny making box copies, and you also have to spend  y on stocking fees for stores, so why would you waste all that money by selling nothing but digital copies, its bad business, granted they profit more off a digital copy but they don't want to lose the money on the box sales.

There are times when one must ask themselves is it my passion that truly frightens you? Or your own?

• UngoHumungoUngoHumungo Member Posts: 518

its boils down to one thing......they need to boost their box sales, they didn't print all those discs not to sell them, its a smart move on their marketing department

no its legit

Umm GW2 will not be on disc at all no matter where you get it from no matter what edition, its digital even if you buy the box.

Except the key is in the box..... and the Collectors Edition has a disc....I've seen it

even so its wasted money if not sold

There are times when one must ask themselves is it my passion that truly frightens you? Or your own?

• OldManFunkOldManFunk Member Posts: 894

no its legit

That's freaking genious... stop the sale of your game to sell a more expensive version of your game because it's not selling. Why doesn't everyone do this?

• tzj2006tzj2006 Member UncommonPosts: 19

So some potentially good news....when I purchased my GW2 digital pre-order the website hung and displayed the processing icon for about 5 minutes...like the absolute retard that I am, I hit refresh.  This resulted in me purchasing two copies of Guild Wars 2 and I really only need one. I contacted customer support but they seem to be moving slower than glaciers recently so here is what I propose: I am willing to transfer my extra key through some secure means where I can safely receive compensation. If you PM me with some reasonable way to do this I would gladly transfer the key to you at the same price I was charged. I'm unfortunately really not familiar with online transactions so any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks!

• sammyelisammyeli Member Posts: 765

Originally posted by OldManFunk

no its legit

That's freaking genious... stop the sale of your game to sell a more expensive version of your game because it's not selling. Why doesn't everyone do this?

Ok I thought the otehr post was gold, But this one right here is the champ of them all PURE Genius. Give this man internets please.

“The truth may be puzzling. It may take some work to grapple with. It may be counterintuitive. It may contradict deeply held prejudices. It may not be consonant with what we desperately want to be true. But our preferences do not determine what's true.”

Carl Sagan-

Originally posted by silvermember

let's assume there's some truth to all the people crying marketing trick, my question is: what difference does it make? Does saying that magically produce more copies? Np. Does saying that help the people the ppl who want to buy it feel better? No. does saying help you sleep at nite? No, if your answer is yes,you really need a life.

no think of it this way,  you spend x amouny making box copies, and you also have to spend  y on stocking fees for stores, so why would you waste all that money by selling nothing but digital copies, its bad business, granted they profit more off a digital copy but they don't want to lose the money on the box sales.

How would they lose money on the box copy?  The game is not going to be released next week or anything.  They have months to sell what is in stores.  Also do you understand the cost of a very cheep carboard box is?  hint very very little.

For example the cost to print a book is only about 8-12% of the total selling price.     

• strangepowersstrangepowers Member UncommonPosts: 630

Originally posted by Tayah

Guess they have enough people for this weekend for now, they're sold out digitally atm.

https://buy.guildwars2.com/

Pretty awesome, I'm cited!

• IlayaIlaya Member UncommonPosts: 661

Originally posted by joocheese

Originally posted by Unlight

This post is gold right here.

Nah.  Maybe pyrite. 

There are 48 servers and the estimated number of people who prepurchased is somewhere around 200,000 so far, based on some guesswork.  That's over 4000 per server already.  4000 per untested, un-optimized server.  And EU isn't sold out yet.  Plus there's the press coming and the 10,000+ actual beta testers already in the game.  Sounds plausible to limit the number of additional testers with that in mind. 

Although it is also some brilliant marketing.  I can't remember ever hearing about a game company *refusing* sales, for whatever the reason.  You have to admit, the trend has been to push the stuff out the door and damn the consequences.  It shows a lot of confidence to hold back sales.  They *know* people will be back for it later.

Now THAT is a golden post.

True, a very good one.

Also considering their "3 Server System". They are not able to setup just " 1 " new Server cause of the WvWvW System behind it. So i think that when their numbers are reached, it might take a bit longer than in normal games to bring in new ones.

• waynejr2waynejr2 Member EpicPosts: 7,769

Originally posted by Cyberdeck7

what a joke.

25 year old game engine

"B2P" = F2P cash shop except , yeah, $60

and now they've run out of bits and bytes

It's not really hard to understand. Players require servers. Only so many servers have been setup. This BWE is only 2 days long. If they didn't stop the preorder sales and had a large number of purchases this weekend then they might run out of server space. Given it takes time to setup and test new servers, the lack of space would result in tons of crying and complaining. So, as you can see, they did the right thing.

Do you expect people to stop their bitching and  moaning to understand your logical point?

http://www.youhaventlived.com/qblog/2010/QBlog190810A.html  

Epic Music:   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vAigCvelkhQ&list=PLo9FRw1AkDuQLEz7Gvvaz3ideB2NpFtT1

https://archive.org/details/softwarelibrary_msdos?&sort=-downloads&page=1

Kyleran:  "Now there's the real trick, learning to accept and enjoy a game for what it offers rather than pass on what might be a great playing experience because it lacks a few features you prefer."

John Henry Newman: "A man would do nothing if he waited until he could do it so well that no one could find fault."

FreddyNoNose:  "A good game needs no defense; a bad game has no defense." "Easily digested content is just as easily forgotten."

LacedOpium: "So the question that begs to be asked is, if you are not interested in the game mechanics that define the MMORPG genre, then why are you playing an MMORPG?"

• ItsMeAgainItsMeAgain Member Posts: 10

Originally posted by DarkPony

WTF ANET?!

Just when I was finally over the fence and ready to prepurchase the game ...

... not :P

I'll be here on the forums, reading your reviewettes :)

Haha! Dude/Dudette I love you, from the ultimate tor fanboi to sensible down to earth critic ;)

OT : How the **** can a digital (read DIGITAL) version of a game be sold out? Did Anet hire a BW spindoctor?

This weekend will be so awesome, beer and popcorn ready for a weekend of fanboi/hater drama!

• Ice-QueenIce-Queen Member UncommonPosts: 2,483

Originally posted by ItsMeAgain

This weekend will be so awesome, beer and popcorn ready for a weekend of fanboi/hater drama!

I doubt I come to these forums at all this weekend. I won't have time. image

What happens when you log off your characters????.....
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GFQhfhnjYMk
    Dark Age of Camelot

• HorrorScopeHorrorScope Member UncommonPosts: 599

no its legit

Not buying this argument. When they have proper capacity, they will gladly sell everyone the digital version if that is what they choose. I'm like 99.5% certain.

• Twisted77Twisted77 Member UncommonPosts: 89
    Just got it off gamestop (finally working)... I think you can still get copies there.
  • ItsMeAgainItsMeAgain Member Posts: 10

Want to take a bet on it? And when you get here you wish you could shove that annoying banana up Anet's *** ;)

• OldManFunkOldManFunk Member Posts: 894

Ya, it's going to be a good weekend for the haters. I won't be doing anything but playing GW2 until Monday. I hope they don't get lonely. image

• fiontarfiontar Member UncommonPosts: 3,682

Q. How can they be sold out of a Digital Copy?

A. Easy, they are selling to match the 48 server capacity for this weekend. I personally am very happy they aren't overselling.

Q. How can the retailers still have codes when Arenanet doesn't?

A. Retailer codes are pre-allocated to them in batches. These codes are also likely finite leading up to this weekend, but obviously they can sell out at a different pace than the Arenanet allocation.

Q. Is it possible they could add more capacity for the weekend and re-open Digital pre-purchases in time for the event?

A. Possible, but I wouldn't count on it. :)

Not that difficult to understand.

BTW, if you go to Gamestop to pre-purchase, make sure you get the code on your receipt! A friend of mine was told it would be emailed to him and he had to keep pushing them to figure out how to get him his code before they finally figured it out. If your Gamestop is clueless, tell them that there is a seperate SKU# for the pre-purchase, which will generate a key. This is different from their normal pre-sell proceedure. Insist on getting a key. They may need to make some calls to figure it out, but they can do it! Don't leave with out your key!

Want to know more about GW2 and why there is so much buzz? Start here: Guild Wars 2 Mass Info for the Uninitiated

• AmazingAveryAmazingAvery Age of Conan AdvocateMember UncommonPosts: 7,188

We have sold out of keys for digital distribution in North America. GameStop and Best Buy still have stock available.

We limit sales to ensure we have enough capacity for our customers. We're likely to have capacity available after the initial crunch at the start of the weekend. Players who purchase when we're able to resume digital sales at buy.guildwars2.com will still be able to play for the remainder of the weekend. ~RB2

http://www.facebook.com/GuildWars2/posts/10150751006819209

• Ice-QueenIce-Queen Member UncommonPosts: 2,483

Ya, it's going to be a good weekend for the haters. I won't be doing anything but playing GW2 until Monday. I hope they don't get lonely. image

They'll have to hate on each other.

What happens when you log off your characters????.....
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GFQhfhnjYMk
    Dark Age of Camelot

• sanshi44sanshi44 Member UncommonPosts: 1,187

Originally posted by itgrowls

anyone have the total sales figures for this?

200, 000 people went into the english forums to download the game, +40, 000 on the germen site + 30,000 on french site + all those people who downloaded from leaked client download that came out a few days before the email.

• xr00t3dxxr00t3dx Member Posts: 275

Odd they show sold out for me and members of my guild

Same for me. Glad I got mine early then. :)

• FinitFinit Member Posts: 145
    I am so thankful I bought my digital version yesterday.  :)

My Guild Wars 2 Blog can be found here: Divinity's Reach

This discussion has been closed.