Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

All NA Digital Editions SOLD OUT

Comments

• Ice-QueenIce-Queen Member UncommonPosts: 2,483

Originally posted by vesuvias

They almost had to do this just incase they got flash mobbed. Word of mouth spreads like wildfire these days and "If" the impact was big enough with tweets firing off all over the place once people are actually playing, then all thier careful preperation would have been blown. This weekend has to be Perfect. If I were them I wouln't risk it either.

I agree, if things go smoothly this weekend that would be a big buzz immediately for me. I will be letting friends/family know that how this weekend goes, whether they should pre-purchase or not. They've been burned before with Warhammer and SWTOR.

What happens when you log off your characters????.....
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GFQhfhnjYMk
    Dark Age of Camelot

• EmwynEmwyn Member Posts: 546

Originally posted by Moe4871

It's just a marketing scheme to force impulsive buyers to purchase the CE version of the game.

I don't think so. More likely that most people were purchasing direct from anet and the purchasers want to sell copies too. If the beta were truely limited  they'd stop selling full stop. Not saying that's a bad thing. Businesses need to stay afloat as well especially in todays climate.

the poster formerly known as melangel :P

• fenistilfenistil Member Posts: 3,005

It will be back for sale just right after this beta-event. 

They just stopped cause they propably have enough people to make current number of server full + it is great marketting tool to sell more right after this weekend - cause it will be "buy fast or you might not make it for next beta-event' 

LOOOOOOOOL

• claytosclaytos Member Posts: 177

"if we max out our beta server capacity, we may *temporarily* make pre-purchase unavailable until we can bring more capacity online"

Source : http://www.facebook.com/GuildWars2/posts/10150710638754209

• TheYear1500TheYear1500 Member UncommonPosts: 531

Originally posted by Emwyn

It's just a marketing scheme to force impulsive buyers to purchase the CE version of the game.

I don't think so. More likely that most people were purchasing direct from anet and the purchasers want to sell copies too. If the beta were truely limited  they'd stop selling full stop. Not saying that's a bad thing. Businesses need to stay afloat as well especially in todays climate.

Thats not how it works.  A.Net gives a set number of codes to retail sites.  When those sites run out A.Net sends them more.  Now, that A.Net has stop prepurchases they will not send more codes to retail sites.  Each code that A.Net sold to retailers was already factorered into the total number of pre-purchases sold.  

Originally posted by TheYear1500

Thats not how it works.  A.Net gives a set number of codes to retail sites.  When those sites run out A.Net sends them more.  Now, that A.Net has stop prepurchases they will not send more codes to retail sites.  Each code that A.Net sold to retailers was already factorered into the total number of pre-purchases sold.  

probably you are right. I just don't think it is a ploy to make people buy CE editions like the OP suggested.

• TheYear1500TheYear1500 Member UncommonPosts: 531

probably you are right. I just don't think it is a ploy to make people buy CE editions like the OP suggested.

Ya no.  I am sure most CE are sold out already.  I do know of a lot of people that are going to be unhappy about this.  They were going to wait and see how Friday turned out and than buy it on Saterday if the news was good.  

• Ambros123Ambros123 Member Posts: 877
    Intresting.  Either pre-purchases far exceeded 200,000 which is a ball park estimate of purchases from the GW2 thread DL instruction hits or ANet took the nobler route and limited the number sales in order to provide a quality Beta experiance.  Which most companies like EA or Blizz would try to sell out as many copies as possible even if it would totally bogg the beta even all to hell.
  • Zeus.CMZeus.CM Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 1,788

edit: sry I misread you.

• RednecksithRednecksith Member Posts: 1,238

Nothing like artificially limiting the supply of a (theoretically) infinitely distributable product to increase demand. How classy. If any other company did this (like Blizzard, EA, THQ, etc.), people would be calling for blood. But since Arenanet can apparently do no wrong, everybody's cool with it. UGH.

Though I've got to hand it to them, it's brilliant marketing at least.

Originally posted by thedarkess

I'm gonna quote this again so you can think

"if we max out our beta server capacity, we may *temporarily* make pre-purchase unavailable until we can bring more capacity online"

Source : http://www.facebook.com/GuildWars2/posts/10150710638754209

read it already thanks though :)

• joocheesejoocheese Member Posts: 845

Originally posted by Tayah

They'll have more available, they are just limiting it for now. Ya can't really run out of digital copies. image

Probably wanna go with what they have atm for the weekend and not fully overload themselves.

Agreed. I think this is exactly the case. For pre purchases prior to the first BWE they probably had a number limit and apparently, they've reached it. I take this as great news! This tells me that so many people have pre purchased GW2 in NA that they had to stop selling them prior to at least the first BWE, in order to be able to fulfill their promise of BWE access.

The fact that Anet stopped sales of their digital copies in NA tells me that they care more about doing things right (and well) than just selling copies without end. Thank you Anet.

• sammyelisammyeli Member Posts: 765

Originally posted by Rednecksith

Nothing like artificially limiting the supply of a (theoretically) infinitely distributable product to increase demand. How classy. If any other company did this (like Blizzard, EA, THQ, etc.), people would be calling for blood. But since Arenanet can apparently do no wrong, everybody's cool with it. UGH.

This post is gold right here.

“The truth may be puzzling. It may take some work to grapple with. It may be counterintuitive. It may contradict deeply held prejudices. It may not be consonant with what we desperately want to be true. But our preferences do not determine what's true.”

Carl Sagan-

• VelocinoxVelocinox Member UncommonPosts: 1,010

If it's good enough for Harley Davidson, it's good enough for Arenanet.

'Sandbox MMO' is a PTSD trigger word for anyone who has the experience to know that anonymous players invariably use a 'sandbox' in the same manner a housecat does.

When your head is stuck in the sand, your ass becomes the only recognizable part of you.

No game is more fun than the one you can't play, and no game is more boring than one which you've become familiar.

How to become a millionaire:
    Start with a billion dollars and make an MMO.

• BaniscoBanisco Member Posts: 240

Or maybe they just want to ensure a good service for those in beta and study the data they recibe to increase the number of servers and improve performance. But yes, you seem to be right... they are limiting the number of unlimited digital copies to increase demand...

• mastersomratmastersomrat Member UncommonPosts: 373
    Beep, you've reached the end of the internet...please check back later.
  • stragen001stragen001 Member UncommonPosts: 1,720

DIGITAL editions sold out. Thats not possible. All it really comes down to is a game code.

This is marketing spin pure and simple. ArenaNet trying to get headlines by claiming it has sold out. 

Cluck Cluck, Gibber Gibber, My Old Mans A Mushroom

Originally posted by Banisco

Or maybe they just want to ensure a good service for those in beta and study the data they recibe to increase the number of servers and improve performance. But yes, you seem to be right... they are limiting the number of unlimited digital copies to increase demand...

Supply and demand... economics 101. Rednecksith, you sound as if this surprises you, if you think this is a new technique by Anet, just go to any store, in the street and/or online. Supply and demand has been around long before the invention of currency. It is not just a trick up the sleeve of those evil and greedy capitalist, it is a basic and fundemantal aspect of trade. Simple as that. Welcome to the real world Rednecksith :-)

• TheDarkrayneTheDarkrayne Member EpicPosts: 5,297

Originally posted by stragen001

DIGITAL editions sold out. Thats not possible. All it really comes down to is a game code.

This is marketing spin pure and simple. ArenaNet trying to get headlines by claiming it has sold out. 

or they are controlling the amount of people in the beta to make sure sure the beta runs smoothly... it was said from the start this would happen.

I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.
  • dadante666dadante666 Member UncommonPosts: 402

Sorry! Guild Wars 2 is currently soldout.

To ensure the highest quality service we have temporarily limited the number of copies of Guild Wars 2.

As more capacity becomes available, we will make Guild Wars 2 available for sale again.

In the meantime, we encourage you to visit our retail partners , who may still have copies available.

they are basicaly full of people that the server can handle is not trick of marketing or BS troll if you work manage the server you know what its going on ,of course they need to cancel the sells they got more people than expected

Other than the forums where people like you and me (with no life) hang out, where are those headlines?? Of course its a marketing technique and most likely it has to do with what they're aiming to do with the first BWE. What are they teaching these kids these days about economics! too much occupy wallstreet haha

• MephsterMephster Member Posts: 1,188
    They probably just reached their max limit for the beta weekend event.  No way you can sell out an online file! :)

Grim Dawn, the next great action rpg!

http://www.grimdawn.com/

• William12William12 Member Posts: 680

Marketing 101 its amazing how many people don't unerstand how it works.

A. You limit the amount of supply.

B. You create hype to sell your limited supply

C. Because supply is limited demand looks extremely high.  

If you live in the US you know exactly what this is.  OPEC limits oil production to increase stock price therefor increasing oil cost and the price we pay at the pump.   The only difference is Anet isnt doing it to charge more they're doing it to create more hype and news.   Believe me if they wanted they could let everyone in beta they have the experience and hardware to do so.

• niceguy3978niceguy3978 Member UncommonPosts: 2,047

Originally posted by Torvaldr

Nothing like artificially throttling supply to incite frenzied demand.  Their marketing team is pure genius.

But it isn't marketing, and it especially not hype!  It just isn't, the internet people have said so.

This discussion has been closed.