Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

WvWvW Community...or lack of it

HengistHengist Member RarePosts: 1,282

Dont misunderstand me, I love the direction that ArenaNet has taken with this, but I keep having a few niggling issues in the back of my mind with it, and most of 'em center around community.

DAoC, pre-cross server WoW, Warhammer, even SWTOR, I like the community that builds up around PvP. You see a guild tag, or a name, you know if it is likely to be a challenging match or an easy match. You build friendly rivalries, and those things definitely took up a life of their own on forums, and in the game itself. My personal belief is that they undeniably added something enjoyable to my PvP experience.

This isnt a concern, or a complaint, but I do wonder how much I'm going to miss that added layer of enjoyment in GW2. It's just "Green Invader" or "Red Invader", and a guild tag, there is no sense of a permanent rivalry, it's a rivalry that changes every couple of weeks, and I dont know how deeply that matters. Yankees and Red Sox, Bears and Packers, these are rivalries that date back years and years, and that brings something extra for fans.

I realize how the matchmaking system works (and I like it) and I dont know that I'd trade the benefits of it for a permanent rivalry, at least I wont know for awhile until I see how it plays out. Anyone else feel like they'll miss a little something because of the way WvWvW is set up? Miss a favorite rival player, or guild kind of thing?

Comments

• whisperwyndwhisperwynd Member UncommonPosts: 1,668
    There probably will be rivalries later on when the top servers/lower servers (rated)  more often than not face one another. In the beginning, it'll be more a qualifying period to see the who's who out there.
  • RedempRedemp Member UncommonPosts: 1,136

Originally posted by Baikal

Dont misunderstand me, I love the direction that ArenaNet has taken with this, but I keep having a few niggling issues in the back of my mind with it, and most of 'em center around community.

DAoC, pre-cross server WoW, Warhammer, even SWTOR, I like the community that builds up around PvP. You see a guild tag, or a name, you know if it is likely to be a challenging match or an easy match. You build friendly rivalries, and those things definitely took up a life of their own on forums, and in the game itself. My personal belief is that they undeniably added something enjoyable to my PvP experience.

This isnt a concern, or a complaint, but I do wonder how much I'm going to miss that added layer of enjoyment in GW2. It's just "Green Invader" or "Red Invader", and a guild tag, there is no sense of a permanent rivalry, it's a rivalry that changes every couple of weeks, and I dont know how deeply that matters. Yankees and Red Sox, Bears and Packers, these are rivalries that date back years and years, and that brings something extra for fans.

I realize how the matchmaking system works (and I like it) and I dont know that I'd trade the benefits of it for a permanent rivalry, at least I wont know for awhile until I see how it plays out. Anyone else feel like they'll miss a little something because of the way WvWvW is set up? Miss a favorite rival player, or guild kind of thing?

On the same hand .... picture the X-Realming we won't have to deal with because of the shifts?

I had rivalries established with some Scout's on my server, Gawaine ( damn that was my first server wasn't it? =/ ) back in the first weeks of the game. It wasn't to terribly long after that the cross realming started ... and I stopped caring who it was I was killing.

• darkspriggandarkspriggan Member CommonPosts: 20
    I can definitely understand where you're coming from with that, being a former DAoC player. The rivalries and enemies formed from that was insane. Just don't forget there's also the structured PvP to fuel the community as well, though I don't know if they're cross server.
  • VolkonVolkon Member UncommonPosts: 3,748
    There will quickly develop a server based WvW community. It's simply designed that way. You'll learn the regulars, recognize them, get to know them... I wouldn't worry on this at all.

Oderint, dum metuant.

• FangrimFangrim Member UncommonPosts: 616
    Does anyone know if the server we pick for beta events will lock our account to that world for WvW when the game is launched or will all that be wiped ?

• ta_erogta_erog Member Posts: 34

" Yankees and Red Sox, Bears and Packers, these are rivalries that date back years and years, and that brings something extra for fans." -  Baikal 

The main reason I HATE some sports!  I live in Boston and the Red Sox / Yankees rivalries just make people A$$holes and does little for the sport.  (and the fans tend to be even worse - embodying all that is wrong with sports and you try to teach kids not to be like)

So IMO do not need!!! unless you like A$$holes !

• drakaenadrakaena Member UncommonPosts: 506
    My main worry about WvWvW is that I may spent the majority of my time there looking for PvP, rather than actually PvPing. I don't have the time anymore to game all day, so if 70% of the time I'm just running around killing NPC's in hopes of escalating an epic battle, I might find myself playing less and less.
  • IstavaanIstavaan Member Posts: 1,350

Originally posted by drakaena

My main worry about WvWvW is that I may spent the majority of my time there looking for PvP, rather than actually PvPing. I don't have the time anymore to game all day, so if 70% of the time I'm just running around killing NPC's in hopes of escalating an epic battle, I might find myself playing less and less.

well it's not really the games fault that you don't have much time. enjoy it for what it is.

• MsengeMsenge Member Posts: 90

Well then it's a good thing the ingame map of the wvw area tells you where action is going on.

• drakaenadrakaena Member UncommonPosts: 506

Originally posted by Istavaan

well it's not really the games fault that you don't have much time. enjoy it for what it is.

I wasn't blaming the game, just saying it would be a bit disappointing for me personally. Even if I did have all day, do I really want to spend hours and hours killing NPC guards... Not saying this will be the case, just a worry of mine.

Originally posted by ta_erog

" Yankees and Red Sox, Bears and Packers, these are rivalries that date back years and years, and that brings something extra for fans." -  Baikal 

The main reason I HATE some sports!  I live in Boston and the Red Sox / Yankees rivalries just make people A$$holes and does little for the sport.  (and the fans tend to be even worse - embodying all that is wrong with sports and you try to teach kids not to be like)

So IMO do not need!!! unless you like A$$holes !

well you obviously are not a team sports person or else you wouldn't have made that comment. you don't have to tear everything down just because you don't like it.

Originally posted by Istavaan

I wasn't blaming the game, just saying it would be a bit disappointing for me personally. Even if I did have all day, do I really want to spend hours and hours killing NPC guards... Not saying this will be the case, just a worry of mine.

well at least you wont be spending money every month to discover that, and you can come back to the game anytime with no extra charge.

• xposeidonxposeidon Member Posts: 384
    Remember it's in BETA. If you pre-purchase make sure to start a thread on the forums about this and get people in it. If they believe the change is positive then they just might do it, worth a try.

Remember... all I'm offering is the truth. Nothing more.

• LucioonLucioon Member UncommonPosts: 819

Originally posted by darkspriggan

I can definitely understand where you're coming from with that, being a former DAoC player. The rivalries and enemies formed from that was insane. Just don't forget there's also the structured PvP to fuel the community as well, though I don't know if they're cross server.

With the guesting system, do we really need a cross server.

Your Rivals can come to your server and join the Structure PVP that both of you want to do. Really no need for a cross server random generator.

Life is a Maze, so make sure you bring your GPS incase you get lost in it.

• sk8chalifsk8chalif Member UncommonPosts: 666

open ur map, there will be ton of X in form of 2 sword crossing each other.. teleport next to it and go pvp.

~The only opinion that matters is your own.Everything else is just advice,~

• RequiamerRequiamer Member Posts: 2,034

snip

Don't you think rivalry might come later after, say, after a couple of months, between servers actually.

• HengistHengist Member RarePosts: 1,282

Originally posted by Redemp

On the same hand .... picture the X-Realming we won't have to deal with because of the shifts?
     I had rivalries established with some Scout's on my server, Gawaine ( damn that was my first server wasn't it? =/ ) back in the first weeks of the game. It wasn't to terribly long after that the cross realming started ... and I stopped caring who it was I was killing.

Believe me, I know what you mean about the X-realming.

I think the way it is setup with shifts every couple of weeks is great, and eventually it should settle out so servers are matched against relative equals, as determined by population, skill, whatever.

It's just a sentiment that if my rivals are shifting every few weeks, or I'm just seeing "Green Invader" and a guild tag, I'm not getting to know those people, and I'm not building a rivalry. There isnt that sense of history.

Dont get me wrong, it is probably worth it, but the rivalries and such were a huge part of the fun I've had with past PvP experiences.

• fiontarfiontar Member UncommonPosts: 3,682

Originally posted by whisperwynd

There probably will be rivalries later on when the top servers/lower servers (rated)  more often than not face one another. In the beginning, it'll be more a qualifying period to see the who's who out there.

Exactly. As the season plays out, rankings will become more consistant and you will be more likely to end up facing opponents from a short list that are in the same ranking range as your server. When that occurs, guild names will be enough.

Lack of invader character names keeps things from becoming too personal, which cuts down on greifing or even the feeling of greifing, but, just as importantly, it also makes each encounter unpredictable. No name, no way of knowing the true level of your opponent, no reputation, beyond a guild reputation, to warn you off of the truly skilled predators of the battlefield. Each encounter will be more exciting because of that unpredictability!

It also gives the true wolves of the battlefield the advantage of obfuscation. Where lowbie looking equipment, (with a couple spare sets to change your look),never stay in one area long enough to become the hunted and there will be great fun to be had for the courageous player hunters out there. I say courageous, because even if you count yourself among the best, you still won't know for sure how good your opponent is until you engage them, so there will be much more risk than in a typical Open Region PVP experience.

Yeah, it's different and some people really hate change, but there are some serious advantages to this system and I'm very glad for it.

Want to know more about GW2 and why there is so much buzz? Start here: Guild Wars 2 Mass Info for the Uninitiated

• ZeroxinZeroxin Member UncommonPosts: 2,515

Originally posted by Fangrim

Does anyone know if the server we pick for beta events will lock our account to that world for WvW when the game is launched or will all that be wiped ?

No one is locking you anywhere until the game launches.

To The OP

You can still see guild tags in WvW apparently.

This is not a game.

• ZeroxinZeroxin Member UncommonPosts: 2,515

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pk06sCaB0l4&feature=showob

And that's the proof as well. Just keep staring at the enemy's names and at the end of their name is their Guild tag.

This is not a game.

Originally posted by Requiamer

snip
    Don't you think rivalry might come later after, say, after a couple of months, between servers actually.

Yes and no.

The problem is when there are the 2-4 week lulls when the winner advances and a loser drops. To me, that tends to diminish a rivalry a little bit. Of course I suppose you can argue that you'll build more, but in any case, I dont think they'd mean quite as much as the old time single server rivalries.

Originally posted by Zeroxin
    To The OP
    You can still see guild tags in WvW apparently.

That's kind of my saving grace.

I may not get to know individual's, but at least hopefully any rivalry that is built can be on those terms.

Considering the other options, I'm fine with things are because I dont see a way that you could do what ArenaNet wants to do any other way. This is definitely a step forward, but I admit, hate trading away some of the fun rivalries that developed because of single server PvP communities.

• RequiamerRequiamer Member Posts: 2,034

snip

Yes and no.
    The problem is when there are the 2-4 week lulls when the winner advances and a loser drops. To me, that tends to diminish a rivalry a little bit. Of course I suppose you can argue that you'll build more, but in any case, I dont think they'd mean quite as much as the old time single server rivalries.

Tbh i was never very found of the guild rivalry system, every time i experienced faction type pvp it was so much more enjoyable, with a lot less trash talk, abuse of cheat, hack, script, taging or whatever game mechanism, and the "destroying the mental" kind of cheap tactic used by guilds. Maybe i'm biased, but the fact is, i think faction kind of pvp is a lot better. I'm pretty sure also that the number of people participating will make the pvp a lot less trashy than it was with guilds, i'm maybe wrong, i don't know, we will see. But i really played a lot of pvp mmo (only played them tbh), and yes every single time faction pvp was a lot, really a lot better, lay back and relax, and honestly pvper were a lot better, with a lot more experience, and far less show off mentality.

snip

Yes and no.

Tbh i was never very found of the guild rivalry system, every time i experienced faction type pvp it was so much more enjoyable, with a lot less trash talk, abuse of cheat, hack, script, taging or whatever game mechanism, and the "destroying the mental" kind of cheap tactic used by guilds. Maybe i'm biased, but the fact is, i think faction kind of pvp is a lot better. I'm pretty sure also that the number of people participating will make the pvp a lot less trashy than it was with guilds, i'm maybe wrong, i don't know, we will see. But i really played a lot of pvp mmo (only played them tbh), and yes every single time faction pvp was a lot, really a lot better, lay back and relax, and honestly pvper were a lot better, with a lot more experience, and far less show off mentality.

Dont get me wrong, I see where you are coming from, and I know a lot of people who share that point of view, it makes sense.

I've run thru a lot of those games too, and yes I'm probably selectively remembing rivalries and so on, but there were a LOT of positive memories I had associated with 'em. I remember in WoW when I saw a certain horde guild in a Warzone it was going to be a rough game for my team, we'd have to bring our "A" game, and we had a healthy and fun rivalry with 'em both in-game and on forums, and I'd like to think there was mutual respect as well. That is something I've had in other titles with single server communities as well, which is where my thread was kind of coming from.

I do agree that single server can lead to a lot more trash talking, and garbage and negative stuff as well, but either I ignored that or did not see as much of it for it to be that memorable.

Just nice seeing the same names out there is all.

Cheers though, totally see what you are saying, and agree you make some good points.

• NethriilNethriil Member Posts: 178
    How many do you Get in for wvwvw. Will it not be random people everytime. I can just see all the l2p and frustrated players. None of the big pvp Maps in wow were much fun in the long run. Why would a battle taking 2 weeks to finish be any fun? Give me 10v10 or 15v15 anytime over this time waste. In the end players always wants fast results. U dont Get that with a 2 week bore.

I Think this wvwvw hype is gonna disappoint a lot of people.