Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Holy trinity--wow, eve online, swtor. Do we need more games on the market?

Comments

• Agent_JosephAgent_Joseph Member UncommonPosts: 1,361

newer played WoW ... just not interesting for that fantasy universe

played EVE 5 years without break,always back with 2 month offer for 19,99$,only real MMORPG on genre market

curently playing TOR...not sure how much long...

• PhryPhry Member LegendaryPosts: 11,004

Interesting choice of games, granted, WoW does have a very large playerbase, and pretty much covers the whole fantasy themepark thing, Eve is a difficult one to categorise due its whole sandbox thing, but its a niche game, that only really appeals to a small sector of the gaming community (WoW has approx 10 million or so players, Eve on the other hand about 350k) although both are undoubtedly in the AAA class of subscription based MMO's, the joker in the pack though, is probably SW;TOR, its hardly proved itself as a qualifier in the AAA MMO department, and is leaking subs like a collander in a bathtub, sure it does the whole storyline thing, but, it doesnt really do anything else, or at least, not very convincingly, Rift, Aion, etc. probably do things better, at least in terms of actual gameplay, even so, WoW generally does it all much better. There are so many games on the horizon at the moment, that SW;TOR's future couldnt be more bleak, Tera, TSW, GW2, Archage, Planetside2, Firefall, to name just a few, each one of these is a huge nail in what could be SW;TOR's coffin, rather than say that those 3 games, WoW, Eve, SW;TOR have it covered in MMO terms, i'd say there is so much more out there that those games don't even come close to covering.image

• palulalulapalulalula Member UncommonPosts: 651

Originally posted by Phry

Interesting choice of games, granted, WoW does have a very large playerbase, and pretty much covers the whole fantasy themepark thing, Eve is a difficult one to categorise due its whole sandbox thing, but its a niche game, that only really appeals to a small sector of the gaming community (WoW has approx 10 million or so players, Eve on the other hand about 350k) although both are undoubtedly in the AAA class of subscription based MMO's, the joker in the pack though, is probably SW;TOR, its hardly proved itself as a qualifier in the AAA MMO department, and is leaking subs like a collander in a bathtub, sure it does the whole storyline thing, but, it doesnt really do anything else, or at least, not very convincingly, Rift, Aion, etc. probably do things better, at least in terms of actual gameplay, even so, WoW generally does it all much better. There are so many games on the horizon at the moment, that SW;TOR's future couldnt be more bleak, Tera, TSW, GW2, Archage, Planetside2, Firefall, to name just a few, each one of these is a huge nail in what could be SW;TOR's coffin, rather than say that those 3 games, WoW, Eve, SW;TOR have it covered in MMO terms, i'd say there is so much more out there that those games don't even come close to covering.image

Ok that is Trinity for me. I tried Aion and Rift but expirience in gameplay was so poor if you compare that with wow so i unsubed after few months.

• DecemvirusDecemvirus Member Posts: 52
    Troll or be trolled, there's no way in-between. The strong shall prevail and the weak shall rage. For that is what the gods foretold, so that on the right day we'll all flee to Russia and sing the troll anthem while the world is destroyed by some sort of comical imbalance

"You know, this place makes me wonder. Which would be worse, to live as a monster or to die as a good man?"

• dageezadageeza Member Posts: 578

Why would i want to play any of the new WoW clones when i am so burned out on wow that i will never play it again?

Wow is so much better than its clones but i am so completely burned out on Wow that i have not played it in 2 years and none of the clones have imo never even come close..

I am currently playing my gold account on EQ and my grandfathered silver account on EQ2 and while both are old they are still far better than any of the clones currently out there imho...

I am waiting for GW2 which looks to be awesome and D3 will be my trusty secondary backup, both are prepurchased..

Playing GW2..

• centkincentkin Member RarePosts: 1,527

Ok so we have a jedi, a spaceship captain with his spaceship, and a dranei.  What more do we need to conquer the world?

Alternatively we could have a gungan(Jar Jar), an accountant, and a gnome.  What more do we need to .... hmmm...

• Salio69Salio69 Member CommonPosts: 428

cute... SWTOR ..... that game been out for what? 4-5 months?

LOTRO is the best "story driven" mmo.

• nariusseldonnariusseldon Member EpicPosts: 27,775

Originally posted by dageeza

Why would i want to play any of the new WoW clones when i am so burned out on wow that i will never play it again?

Wow is so much better than its clones but i am so completely burned out on Wow that i have not played it in 2 years and none of the clones have imo never even come close..

I am currently playing my gold account on EQ and my grandfathered silver account on EQ2 and while both are old they are still far better than any of the clones currently out there imho...

I am waiting for GW2 which looks to be awesome and D3 will be my trusty secondary backup, both are prepurchased..

I agree WOW is better than clones. However, you should always try MMOs with other settings. I have been playing DCUO lately. The combat feels 100% different from WOW. The atmosphere is also totally different. Even if it has some similar featuers (like LFD, mail, and quests), the experience is different enough that it does not feel like a clone.

Oh i agree with D3. I am not sure abotu GW2 though. D3 will most like be my "main" game in a little over 2 weeks.

• just1opinionjust1opinion Member UncommonPosts: 4,641

Originally posted by palulalula

Originally posted by Skankster

this is just troll bait...

Maybe for you, but for me is that the true

Truth is subjective and it can also be troll bait.  Not saying your post is, just pointing out another "truth," so to speak.

President of The Marvelously Meowhead Fan Club

• GroovyFlowerGroovyFlower Member Posts: 1,245

Originally posted by Skankster

this is just troll bait...

This!

Another useless topic hehe.

• VikingGamerVikingGamer Member UncommonPosts: 1,350

Wait, you said three games right? WoW, EVE and the other WoW, the one with light sabers.

I am only counting two games there.

All die, so die well.

• TerrorizorTerrorizor Member Posts: 326

George " I know what people want, because I know what I want. People all want the same thing"

Pete "Is that why so many people have slept with your wife?"

George "..."

• nariusseldonnariusseldon Member EpicPosts: 27,775

Originally posted by VikingGamer

Wait, you said three games right? WoW, EVE and the other WoW, the one with light sabers.

You apparently has a problem distinguish Wow, from Wow with light sabers. Those are TWO games.

• lifesbrinklifesbrink Member UncommonPosts: 553
    I can't believe people are still falling for this troll thread, seriously mods, just lock it, please.

My blog is a continuing story of what MMO's should be like.

• BigHatLoganBigHatLogan Member Posts: 688

I think this 3 games offers everything what you need today in mmorpg  and there is no need to buy anything else. Wow--King for long time and it will stay for years on top, specially now with maybe best expansion ever made and we all know that after you play wow everything else is just a sad shadow. Eve- only  true sandbox game and only game where hurts when you die, hardcore   spaceship combat and only game worth to play in this genre. Swtor-- maybe only story driven mmo with best and most interesting leveling  in mmo world and first excellent Star Wars game. I know there are many haters of this games and most of them are sad because they do not have huge player base like this three but hey  so is the world,there is no place for fail products.  F2P or better P2W  games are not worth to mention because real players don't even want to try this kind of games

No need for SWTOR.  It's just a crappy version of WoW with some voice acting.  So lets cut out SWTOR, we don't need a holy trinity slot for some 2 bit voice actor to tell me why i need to kill ten rats.  We can leave WoW and EVE, WoW for themeparky raiding and EVE for sandboxyness.  In the third slot lets add GW1/GW2 for the balanced esport PVP, and GW2 looks to have better storytelling than SWTOR. 

Are you a Pavlovian Fish Biscuit Addict? Get Help Now!
    I will play no more MMORPGs until somethign good comes out!

Originally posted by BigHatLogan

I think this 3 games offers everything what you need today in mmorpg  and there is no need to buy anything else. Wow--King for long time and it will stay for years on top, specially now with maybe best expansion ever made and we all know that after you play wow everything else is just a sad shadow. Eve- only  true sandbox game and only game where hurts when you die, hardcore   spaceship combat and only game worth to play in this genre. Swtor-- maybe only story driven mmo with best and most interesting leveling  in mmo world and first excellent Star Wars game. I know there are many haters of this games and most of them are sad because they do not have huge player base like this three but hey  so is the world,there is no place for fail products.  F2P or better P2W  games are not worth to mention because real players don't even want to try this kind of games

No need for SWTOR.  It's just a crappy version of WoW with some voice acting.  So lets cut out SWTOR, we don't need a holy trinity slot for some 2 bit voice actor to tell me why i need to kill ten rats.  We can leave WoW and EVE, WoW for themeparky raiding and EVE for sandboxyness.  In the third slot lets add GW1/GW2 for the balanced esport PVP, and GW2 looks to have better storytelling than SWTOR. 

Well gw2 is f2p,  i said only subscription games

Originally posted by nariusseldon

You apparently has a problem distinguish Wow, from Wow with light sabers. Those are TWO games.

Well if you think this way you can say that for many games.

• RamanadjinnRamanadjinn Member UncommonPosts: 1,365

Well if you think this way you can say that for many games.

i think what you said here is integral to his point.

• PainlezzPainlezz Member UncommonPosts: 646

What does SWTOR offer that WoW doesn't?

SWTOR graphics aren't photo-realistic... they are very colorful and cartoony.

WoW graphics aren't photo-realistic... they are very colorful and cartoony.

SWTOR gameplay is button mashing, action quickbar oriented.

WoW gameplay is button mashing, action quickbar oriented.

WoW has WAY more content (but it's also 6+ years older so to be expected)

WOW pvp is 1000x more advanced.  But it's also much older and more developed, I expect SWTOR will get there eventually if given as much time as wow has had.

EvE is obviously very different.  Spreadsheets with some pretty effects here and there. 

• AvsRock21AvsRock21 Member UncommonPosts: 256
    As others have said, this thread is lol.  WoW and Swtor are for the young ones in the mmo world.  They don't offer anything to the mature mmo audience.  EvE, on the other hand, is the best at what it is.  There aren't any sandboxes that even remotely compare to EvE.  Also, calling EvE old is pretty dam funny.  If EvE, in it's current state, was released tomorrow; people would call it a 'next-gen sandbox mmo'....  It has better graphics and mechanics that pretty much any other mmo on the market.  But ya it has that 'old school' feel for sure.  
  • KhetnenKhetnen Member Posts: 16

I found a list of all the MMOs we need that are out or in development:

http://www.mmorpg.com/gamelist.cfm

I see more than 3.

• KinchyleKinchyle Member Posts: 309

Originally posted by WhiteLantern

Someone is off their meds and rambling..........

^this

Eve? WoW?

You should have added SWG instead of SWTOR....woulda fit better.

I agree. Lots of games to choose from though. Just not those.

• AvsRock21AvsRock21 Member UncommonPosts: 256

Originally posted by Painlezz

EvE is obviously very different.  Spreadsheets with some pretty effects here and there. 

Oh I love the old EvE = 'spreadsheets' adage...  As a fairly new player to EvE, I had heard this saying many times before I started playing, but I have yet to come across any spreadsheets in game....  Ya there are a lot of windows you could possibly have open at the same time.  But when I play, while in combat, I never have extra windows open.  Instead I'm watching a spaceship shooting other stuff.  There isn't even a window that shows battle information.  You have to watch the main screen to see damage done and taken, just like every other game.  The game is just as much, if not more, graphical than other mmos on the market.  But ya, if watching a youtube video of EvE makes your mind explode, then obviously it's not for you.  

• VikingGamerVikingGamer Member UncommonPosts: 1,350

You apparently has a problem getting the joke.

SWTOR is barely a different game. It is more like a lateral expansion of WoW into the Star Wars universe. Once players finish the story presented by Bioware, SWTOR largely becomes pointless. Without the story, that is. once your well seated in the endgame, why stay if WoW does this sort of game better, with more people, likely with a bunch of your friends? Also most people who have played WoW in the past are likely to have a deep investment in it in terms of titles, pets, mounts, and other nicknacks. The only thing to keep a person playing SWTOR is if they are a really big fan of Star Wars and would rather have that.

Distinquishing yourself from WoW is better done in terms of gameplay or endgame focus. EQ2 has there housing, Rift has the soul system, Aion has pretty angels (chicks dig it), Lineage 2 has territory war, Tera has huge jiggly boo...uh action combat. Eve has, jeez, everything about Eve is different. You get the point.

All die, so die well.

• KinchyleKinchyle Member Posts: 309

You apparently has a problem getting the joke.

SWTOR is barely a different game. It is more like a lateral expansion of WoW into the Star Wars universe. Once players finish the story presented by Bioware, SWTOR largely becomes pointless. Without the story, that is. once your well seated in the endgame, why stay if WoW does this sort of game better, with more people, likely with a bunch of your friends? Also most people who have played WoW in the past are likely to have a deep investment in it in terms of titles, pets, mounts, and other nicknacks. The only thing to keep a person playing SWTOR is if they are a really big fan of Star Wars and would rather have that.

Distinquishing yourself from WoW is better done in terms of gameplay or endgame focus. EQ2 has there housing, Rift has the soul system, Aion has petty angels (chicks dig it), Lineage 2 has territory war, Tera has huge jiggly boo...uh action combat. You get the point.

No...it's not. Not to the people with brainpower above a bag of wet hair. SWTOR resembles nothing in WoW...unless you are trying too hard