Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Tera is the next big thing

SlayerbdSlayerbd Member Posts: 5

I played in the Open Beta of Tera and leveled a Slayer up to 32. The graphics are amazing, the combat intense and fun. I don't think I can ever play a target and autoattack game ever again. With Tera, you aim your attacks, do evasive rolls to dodge devastating blows, block attacks, and perform combinations to slay your foes. This is a new age MMO, and the developers have really brought the full package to our doorsteps. I've played all the main fantasy MMOs out, most to the maximum levels with tons of alts, and I can tell you, this game is going to crush them all. I believe this game is underhyped and not nearly enough people are taking this game seriously because of guild wars 2. But let me tell you, this game is phenominal and I will be playing it again this Saturday! Awesome game. Check it out, try it out.

Comments

• DeddpoolDeddpool Member UncommonPosts: 197

Tried it..3 times.  Tried to like it ..really did.  Its pretty to be sure..but not being able to move while attacking/casting is a deal breaker for me.  It will find its niche and I hope its successful but truly revolutionary it is not.

• NBlitzNBlitz Member Posts: 1,904

Originally posted by Deddpool

Tried it..3 times.  Tried to like it ..really did.  Its pretty to be sure..but not being able to move while attacking/casting is a deal breaker for me.  It will find its niche and I hope its successful but truly revolutionary it is not.

If I compare it to my favorite game Bayonetta it's missing a couple of extra mechanics (which I've read the Bluehole devs talk about adding in the future!!!)

BUT...it is still truly an action combat game, which many can't deal with.

Further if you could always move it would be extremely easy to cheese combat.

You could solo group bosses by simply strafing around them mashing buttons. It would feel like ice skating and swinging a nerf bat. Who finds that satisfying? Count me out.

Action games having animation lock is a staple. The big selling point of this game is that it plays like an action game. The action feels tactical, fluid.

Copy pasta. Like a boss.

• rexzshadowrexzshadow Member Posts: 1,428

Originally posted by NBlitz

If I compare it to my favorite game Bayonetta it's missing a couple of extra mechanics (which I've read the Bluehole devs talk about adding in the future!!!)

BUT...it is still truly an action combat game, which many can't deal with.

Further if you could always move it would be extremely easy to cheese combat.

You could solo group bosses by simply strafing around them mashing buttons. It would feel like ice skating and swinging a nerf bat. Who finds that satisfying? Count me out.

Action games having animation lock is a staple. The big selling point of this game is that it plays like an action game. The action feels tactical, fluid.

Copy pasta. Like a boss.

Ok was like i saw that post like 5 times already....

Also better thread title is Tera is the next big thing for some people lol. Well we never know until winter when GW2 been out for a while and than we will see =X

• darkhalf357xdarkhalf357x Member UncommonPosts: 1,237

Agree. Was in 3 CBTs.  I did notice on the last one they added a prologue story which was fun, but I couldnt get over starting at the starter island for the 3rd time doing the exact same missions.  I recommended they had different starting areas for different races to add some replayability but probably didnt fit within thier design.

The aging "go-to-NPC-to-get-quest-to-start-event" mechanic was exposed to me before level 12 and broke immersion.

There's nothing like playing a game you love, and wish TERA well as its a unique experience.  Just not for me.

• ZekiahZekiah Member UncommonPosts: 2,483
    I disagree. It will be just another themepark flash in the pan.

"Censorship is never over for those who have experienced it. It is a brand on the imagination that affects the individual who has suffered it, forever." - Noam Chomsky

• RaxeonRaxeon Member UncommonPosts: 2,283

there signel player action rpg that utlize the same thing if the removed the lock it would need a whole new revamp on the combat

• FugglyFuggly Member Posts: 141
    ...........read just for lulz..............

Originally posted by rexzshadow

Copy pasta. Like a boss.

Ok was like i saw that post like 5 times already....

Haha yeah I'm tired of typing the same thing ad nauseum all over again so I just pull stuff from my post history. It works so far :)

• XerenixXerenix Member UncommonPosts: 237

Originally posted by darkhalf357x

Agree. Was in 3 CBTs.  I did notice on the last one they added a prologue story which was fun, but I couldnt get over starting at the starter island for the 3rd time doing the exact same missions.  I recommended they had different starting areas for different races to add some replayability but probably didnt fit within thier design.

The aging "go-to-NPC-to-get-quest-to-start-event" mechanic was exposed to me before level 12 and broke immersion.

There's nothing like playing a game you love, and wish TERA well as its a unique experience.  Just not for me.

Agree with both.

I've tried the beta so many times and couldn't get my interest up.

• LordRelicLordRelic Member Posts: 281

I have seen so many people complain about quests its starting to annoy me. Name me a single game that every quest is differant from the  " Kill x Mobs,  Collect X items,  Talk to X, give x this item, etc..etc "  Name just 1.. people Praise GW2 but in the end of everything all GW2 system is  same old same old they just made most of them public quests insead of personal.  But the quests are still kill, collect, give and protect.. You Will never find anything differant then this because there isnot much more to be done. i Mean give me an exsample of what your idea of a quest should be? 

Tera is a great game for what it is. Will i play it for years.. No i wont,  will i get 100's of hours out of it Maybe is that worth 75 dollars..  yea it is seeing how i spend 60 on a single player game and get what 10-15 hours.  I have never found a game fun for years of playing and i never will.  But for what it is it is good.

Is tera for everybody No its not,  NO game is and will never be.. Does that mean its bad No it does not. and if you think it does then your just ignorent.

• KanesterKanester Member UncommonPosts: 375
    Can't wait for tomorrow. :D
  • falicafalica Member UncommonPosts: 9
    so anyone likeing this thats beta testing it? idk so many games so little time plus if its pay to play forget it
  • KehdarKehdar Member UncommonPosts: 441

Originally posted by LordRelic

I have seen so many people complain about quests its starting to annoy me. Name me a single game that every quest is differant from the  " Kill x Mobs,  Collect X items,  Talk to X, give x this item, etc..etc "  Name just 1..

Quests don't annoy me so for me is not a big deal and in Tera the kill x quests doesn't require a lot of kills. 

But i remember the worst case of kill x quest i ever had was on swtor, on Tatooine a questo to kill sand people for a compass.

While I was doing it, a bonus quest popped up to kill like 20 sand people, and i did it..., then another bonus quest to kill 60 sand people, and i did, then to kill the boss of sand people that of course is in a gorge full of sand people.

I think I killed around 100 sand people in the end, one of the worst grind experince i ever had.

(Well i forgot LOTRO and the grind for legendary weapon crafting....)

• NeoZcar2NeoZcar2 Member Posts: 136

My outlook on teh situation is this...

Tera is an amazing game. If you are not having fun in this game it is probably because you are dieing alot because its to difficult for you. I saw lots of these people dieing over and over to regular mobbs meanwhile I am pulling 10 - 20 mobbs every chance I get and killing them with 90%+ health every time. 

People complain about the questing system but even that is an invalid argument. How can you complain about a system of killing 10 mobbs quests when almsot everyone I seen playing the game got so involved with killing creatures and teh action oriented combat that they found themselves mindlessly chain pulling creatures long after they had completed the quest objectives...

For what it is, Tera is extremely well made with few if any bugs. It has great diversity of creatures, zones, storylines, and as we all know amazing Action based combat.

I dont need to compare it to GW2 because both games are wonderful and I purchased both games and I will be playing both games.

GW2 has a much better Storyline PVE system, and has larger tougher "Raids" if you wanna call them that against the dragons at the end of large Meta Events.  I like the E-Sport feel to GW2 PVP, I find the mix of Action combat and tab target combat a viable medium for those who dont enjoy Tera's fully action based combat. 

GW2 has the largest world of any game I have played in the last 13 years except for maybe Everquest with its 18 expansions and 400+ zones, or EVE but tis hard to measure distance and size in that game the way it works.

Both games offer great features and because GW2 has no subscription I can play both concurrently without any problems. These 2 games are both great and both are bringing alot of good changes to the industry. Blizzard as a company has grown stale with weak WoW expansions, and a crappy attempt at a Diablo 3 game.  With smaller scale studios finally releasing quality products the MMORPG community is taking steps in teh right direction and that direction is and should always be away from Blizzard/Activision as well as EA.

• darkhalf357xdarkhalf357x Member UncommonPosts: 1,237

Originally posted by LordRelic

I have seen so many people complain about quests its starting to annoy me. Name me a single game that every quest is differant from the  " Kill x Mobs,  Collect X items,  Talk to X, give x this item, etc..etc "  Name just 1.. people Praise GW2 but in the end of everything all GW2 system is  same old same old they just made most of them public quests insead of personal.  But the quests are still kill, collect, give and protect.. You Will never find anything differant then this because there isnot much more to be done. i Mean give me an exsample of what your idea of a quest should be? 

Tera is a great game for what it is. Will i play it for years.. No i wont,  will i get 100's of hours out of it Maybe is that worth 75 dollars..  yea it is seeing how i spend 60 on a single player game and get what 10-15 hours.  I have never found a game fun for years of playing and i never will.  But for what it is it is good.

Is tera for everybody No its not,  NO game is and will never be.. Does that mean its bad No it does not. and if you think it does then your just ignorent.

Your missing the point.  At the base all games have a progression/quest system.  So its not about a game that does not have it. Its about the other aspects of the game that make you WANT to quest in that particular game. Art. Aesthetics. Lore. etc. For me, its how well does the game immerse me in the PvE world.  In my opinion TERA ended up feeling like TOR.  I run through a 'corridor' of quest givers slowly making progress. While this in and of itself can be fun, it looses its appeal when you have done it (in a similiar manner) countless times prior.

Funny that you mention GW2.  The praise is coming from the fact that ArenaNET is CHANGING how progression is handled.  Events happen not by talking to an NPC (the boring aspect) but by being in a particular place at a particular time. Yes, perhaps the same event repeats on some sort of timer but the fact I have dont have to talk to a NPC to start is new.

At the very least it will be different (independent if I end up liking it or not).  That adds a sense of excitement that isnt present in today's MMOs and has been a frequent topic here on the forums.

Im not saying TERA is a bad game.  People are going to like it probably as much as people are going to hate GW2. Its a personal decision.  Im thankful there is choice.

What I am saying, and others seem to agree with me, is that the mechanic employed by TERA detracts from its entertainment value where GW2 mechanic is built from the ground up to be 'entertaining' or fun - however you as the player define it. 

To revert the question, tell me one MMO that plans to deliver what GW2 will?

You will be hard pressed to answer I imagine.  But I could name several titles similiar in 'progression' as TERA.

Get it?

• drakaenadrakaena Member UncommonPosts: 506

If we are talking strictly action combat gameplay, I think dragon's nest does a better job then Tera. I really think the action combat in this game is over hyped. It's alright.

It doesn't take a vast amount of skill to play Tera effectively. How hard is it to roll out of the way of a slow moving, overly exaggerated attack. Come on..

The combat really doesn't feel as fast paced as some tab target games because of the animation locks. You could make an argument it's easier. Just different.

A selling point for me would be if they are able to have a flourishing open world experience. Something to keep an eye on.

Originally posted by drakaena

If we are talking strictly action combat gameplay, I think dragon's nest does a better job then Tera. I really think the action combat in this game is over hyped. It's alright.

It doesn't take a vast amount of skill to play Tera effectively. How hard is it to roll out of the way of a slow moving, overly exaggerated attack. Come on..

The combat really doesn't feel as fast paced as some tab target games because of the animation locks. You could make an argument it's easier. Just different.

A selling point for me would be if they are able to have a flourishing open world experience. Something to keep an eye on.

Not really, many Tera player prefer Tera combat way over DN combat. DN combat is nice but there is no weight behind it, your flailing around most of the game flying around the screen attacking. The fact that most of your attacks are extremely OP, the game is more idk how to say it. But combat has no strategy most of the time beside do as much dmg as phsyicall possible, beside the few nest that require cooridnation.

In Tera the combat has weight behind it, every attack counts not only in the fact you have to wait for cd but that if you miss you leave yourself open to counter attack. Dragon nest?  spam spam spam run around spam some more.

• ElykDrawElykDraw Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 20

Originally posted by Xerenix

Agree with both.

Maybe you and Beta should try a little role playing next time?

• Derza10Derza10 Member Posts: 70

You are one of the thousands that never played much past 20 or even to 20 id assume... things like overly exaggerated and slow moving attacks are only really present at the "learning" levels of the game(1-20ish)... you see much less of this post 30's. Unlike most games Tera is one that shines in the upper levels where mob AI is faster as well as your character, threw things like increased attack speed and movement speed. I believe it is posible to get increased attack speed up to as much as or more than +40%. I know its hard to ask someone to try out a game that long... But to me it is well worth it. mid 20's and up is where the game starts IMO.

Originally posted by ElykDraw

Originally posted by Xerenix

Agree with both.

Dang! image

• KehdarKehdar Member UncommonPosts: 441

True is not too hard to "roll" out of the way, the problem is mobs aren't gonna kill themselve.

So the point of having animations lock is exactly this, you can keep "rolling" or jumping around while attacking, you have to choose between evading or dpsing.

Like in every other action game out there.

EDIT:

Originally posted by ElykDraw

Dang! image

+1 lol 

Originally posted by Derza10

You are one of the thousands that never played much past 20 or even to 20 id assume... things like overly exaggerated and slow moving attacks are only really present at the "learning" levels of the game(1-20ish)... you see much less of this post 30's. Unlike most games Tera is one that shines in the upper levels where mob AI is faster as well as your character, threw things like increased attack speed and movement speed. I believe it is posible to get increased attack speed up to as much as or more than +40%. I know its hard to ask someone to try out a game that long... But to me it is well worth it. mid 20's and up is where the game starts IMO.

Don't forget pvp =P even at lvl 11 try and see how easy it is to dodge attacks from other players XD speically once you get to higher lvl and most people know how to play, omg o.-

• rojoArcueidrojoArcueid Member EpicPosts: 10,722

Originally posted by Slayerbd

I played in the Open Beta of Tera and leveled a Slayer up to 32. The graphics are amazing, the combat intense and fun. I don't think I can ever play a target and autoattack game ever again. With Tera, you aim your attacks, do evasive rolls to dodge devastating blows, block attacks, and perform combinations to slay your foes. This is a new age MMO, and the developers have really brought the full package to our doorsteps. I've played all the main fantasy MMOs out, most to the maximum levels with tons of alts, and I can tell you, this game is going to crush them all. I believe this game is underhyped and not nearly enough people are taking this game seriously because of guild wars 2. But let me tell you, this game is phenominal and I will be playing it again this Saturday! Awesome game. Check it out, try it out.

brought the package?.... Yes.    Brought the FULL package?.....far from it

• gr0und3dgr0und3d Member Posts: 113

Originally posted by rojo6934

Originally posted by Slayerbd

brought the package?.... Yes.    Brought the FULL package?.....far from it

Brought a better package* and changed KTERA to boot!!!!

• ChrisboxChrisbox Member UncommonPosts: 1,729
    Yea TERA is truely an amazing game, Beta testing GW2 tommorow so if that fails then im immediatly going to TERA.

Played-Everything
    Playing-LoL