Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

My BIg Question- D3 and PoE

Comments

• SenanSenan Member UncommonPosts: 788

Originally posted by Aori

It really is very confusing.. in PoE i saw nothing remotely impressive about its graphic, detail, mechanics or even the gore as people put it.  

To say the graphics are better than D3 is just being ignorant. You may prefer the style but the graphics aren't from the same era. If you prefer the bland dated style of PoE then more power to ya, me personally in modern times i'll stick to modern games. I've played games from times past, I want something new not old.

Some of you people must seriously be blind; either that or ad hominem is your thing.

• bowzef1990bowzef1990 Member Posts: 56

I played both PoE and Diablo 3 beta

still got PoE beta access

let me get straight to the point

D3 is not what is all cracked up be the title using diablo logo and ofc blizzard to get its revenue moneyz

and terms of graphics

with out art style

PoE has a suppior engine peroid and is using lot better textures videos do not do any game justice most of these fanbois are blizzard fans and wont see past that

PoE has its downfalls at its current state beta

like not lot of content to do and lack of armor custimazion

but in core gameplay PoE wins its more ingageing and combat feels like savage warrior very brutal

D3 is like WoW art style and wont be that good

and people saying looks 2000s graphics lawl no

truth is D3 engine is older then PoE engine

• ZenIrishChaiZenIrishChai Member UncommonPosts: 527

Well, there really isn't going to be much progress in a debate over which of you prefers PoE or D3 graphics over the other. It's just preference. They are obviously both very comparable from an objective sense, and one doesn't just become 'better' than the other without throwing in personal bias.

Aside from that though, I plan on buying D3. I played the beta last weekend and had a ton more fun than I expected. I loved the whole package. Not just the graphics, or character design, or whatever else. It was just fun, plain and simple.

I haven't played PoE yet but I'm downloading it now and will be playing either tonight or over the weekend. The biggest problem I see however is the fact that it is going to remain in closed beta for who knows how long, it will have big changes as the developer sees fit, and to top it off they tell you in the beta invite that they can and will wipe all character data from time to time as needed. So I will buy D3 and enjoy the fact that I am not going to lose all progress whenever they feel like. I'm glad PoE is free so I can't complain, but there will be times when I'm going to want an ARPG where my progress is saved.

There's also a huge difference in the skill trees as some have debated already, but that seems to be just going back to bias opinion as to which one is 'better'. I don't care for PoE's ridiculously huge grid of neverending choices. I like D3's choice of a few different skills per slot.

So all-in-all, at least at this point, I'm a D3 fan that hasn't played PoE. I'll give it the same amount of time that I gave D3 last weekend and be able to come back here with more of an opinion on it.

So I spent two days with it now and PoE is pretty fun. I like the graphics in both PoE and D3. I think they both have their strengths & weaknesses. They just focus the effects on different details. I like the lighting, shadows, and action effects a lot better in D3, but PoE almost feels like an HD upgrade in terms of the environment detail. PoE could really benefit from more variety in monster-types at the beginning though (Enough with the zombies!). All that aside, I think I can easily play both and enjoy them both based on each one's strengths.

PoE is free so it's the easier one to play first if you don't want to spend $60 on D3, but the latter also feels a lot more polished and more developed to me. Obviously, it should feel that way based on the development time and release window, while PoE is under development and can easily be on the same level of polish as D3 by the time it releases.

So I have my answer. Gonna play PoE until D3 releases, then just play whichever one I feel like thereafter. It's a good time to be an ARPG fan. I think I'll also pick up Titan Quest whenever it goes on sale on steam again. That held up really well for it's age and I'm glad I didn't miss it entirely. It's a good alternative when I get tired of the theme in PoE & D3.

• StonesDKStonesDK Member UncommonPosts: 1,805

Originally posted by FrodoFragins

POE doesn't look like D2, it looks like Titan Quest with bad art direction.  That doesn't mean it can't be a fun game, but it doesn't pass the first impression test for me.

The inventory and the inventory items is a clear cut and paste from D2. The combat itself looks exactly the same as it did in D2. The only difference between D2 and PoE is updated graphics minus the UI

Torchlight 2 looks exactly like WoW if it were isometric style game

Diablo 3 is neither dark nor gritty but it looks a helluva lot better than the two above

Originally posted by Starpower

Diablo 3 is neither dark nor gritty but it looks a helluva lot better than the two above

I never could get in to Torchlight 1 though. It just looked too silly, so I kinda expected Torchlight 2 would continue the trend.

• ZooceZooce Member Posts: 586

played poe for three months, d3 for one weeked:

PoE is a thinking man's game. D3 is a hand-holding regression of the genre.

• FrodoFraginsFrodoFragins Member EpicPosts: 5,905

Originally posted by FrodoFragins

POE doesn't look like D2, it looks like Titan Quest with bad art direction.  That doesn't mean it can't be a fun game, but it doesn't pass the first impression test for me.

The inventory and the inventory items is a clear cut and paste from D2. The combat itself looks exactly the same as it did in D2. The only difference between D2 and PoE is updated graphics minus the UI

Torchlight 2 looks exactly like WoW if it were isometric style game

I was talking about the graphics, including combat.  Titan Quest has equal graphics with a better artistic flare and the engine was made for 2006 release.  POE is a step down from that engine and miles behind D3.  It is artistically devoid of anything interesting.

This topic has nothing to do with TL.

Originally posted by IrishChai

The only difference between D2 and PoE is updated graphics minus the UI

Ok, that's just ridiculous.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kucFP3wN3Eo

I see no difference. Characters are better drawn and animated so are the mobs. The game is of a higher resolution vs a game that is over 10 years old and can only run in 1200x800 but it's basically the same game. two balls representing mana and health, the potions, the inventory not just the design but down to the very looks of it. It's not only similar in a "this is a arpg inventory thingy" it's a copy paste. Same goes for the combat and the loot

I see no difference. Characters are better drawn and animated so are the mobs. The game is of a higher resolution vs a game that is over 10 years old and can only run in 1200x800 but it's basically the same game. two balls representing mana and health, the potions, the inventory not just the design but down to the very looks of it. It's not only similar in a "this is a arpg inventory thingy" it's a copy paste. Same goes for the combat and the loot

I said it's ridiculous because it clearly has different developers, different timing, different gear, different sound, different classes, etc. etc. Updated graphics are CLEARLY not the only difference. Bad wording on your part.

Edit: And I changed my reply because you clarified it a little better, even though the statement on it's own is still wrong on so many levels.

I said it's ridiculous because it clearly has different developers, different timing, different gear, different sound, different classes, etc. etc. Updated graphics are CLEARLY not the only difference. Bad wording on your part.

Doesn't matter they clearly not just made similar systems but did their best to almost copy paste it all straight from D2. That's fine. If somebody just wants a D2 with a graphics overhaul I'm sure PoE will do nicely

Doesn't matter they clearly not just made similar systems but did their best to almost copy paste it all straight from D2. That's fine. If somebody just wants a D2 with a graphics overhaul I'm sure PoE will do nicely

Yeah, it does matter, A LOT. It's a different world, different mobs, different classes that defines every action and direction you take with your character, different story, different towns, different progression in a dozen ways. I could go on for a really long time. You're just saying 'it looks alike' so it must be a copy and paste. I don't think so. If you played D3 and want something more, you can easily go to PoE and find something similar but with a lot of differences that establish PoE as a new and different experience.

• SpellforgedSpellforged Member UncommonPosts: 458
    Well, Path of Exile may look similar to Diablo 2 at first glance, but it's entirely different.  I've been in the closed beta since shortly after it began and apart from sharing the click to move/attack control system standard to hack 'n slash games, they're nothing alike.  Seriously, have you even played the game?

Originally posted by Ujirik

Well, Path of Exile may look similar to Diablo 2 at first glance, but it's entirely different.  I've been in the closed beta since shortly after it began and apart from sharing the click to move/attack control system standard to hack 'n slash games, they're nothing alike.  Seriously, have you even played the game?

I'm talking about the looks. I could care less how it plays

Diablo 2 much?

The likely release timing of PoE also places it in a good position to pickup some of the D3 fans that figure they played it enough and want to find a new ARPG. They will be in a perfect position to benefit from any D3 criticism, and could end up the better game depending on Blizzard's reaction to criticism in patches/updates. PoE, if nothing else, can take the opposite direction that Blizzard goes on a specific area and create the experience better fit for the unsatisfied players of D3.
  • SpellforgedSpellforged Member UncommonPosts: 458
    So, you're saying a grim aesthetic and an isometric camera angle is coprighted by Blizzard?  That's the dumbest thing I've heard all year.

I hear that more and more on these forums... I can see why so many people are unhappy. They seem to think gameplay is the least important thing about a GAME. /facepalm

So, you're saying a grim aesthetic and an isometric camera angle is coprighted by Blizzard?  That's the dumbest thing I've heard all year.

I can't help you are blind

I hear that more and more on these forums... I can see why so many people are unhappy. They seem to think gameplay is the least important thing about a GAME. /facepalm

Wanting something more original than a copy from another game is not asking too much imo

Diablo 2 much?

Your eyes appear to miss the fact that the detail and mobs on the floor just to the left are very different. Congratulations on getting stuck on the right half of a screenshot, where PoE made the right move to use a UI that works well given the genre. 

Wanting something more original than a copy from another game is not asking too much imo

I completely agree, but you obviously fail to see it when it happens.

Here's another Diabl... i mean PoE screenie

• RednecksithRednecksith Member Posts: 1,238

Originally posted by Zooce

played poe for three months, d3 for one weeked:

PoE is a thinking man's game. D3 is a hand-holding regression of the genre.

Completely and utterly false. I once thought the exact same thing until I actually took a good, long look at the game and did some research. D3 is certainly NOT a regression of the genre, if anything it's progression which does away with archaic and outdated game mechanics. Take off the nostalgia goggles and look objectively. 

PoE is also quite good though, and worth checking out for any fan of the genre.

I plan on playing Torchlight 2, PoE, and D3 for a good, long time. Although D3 will probably keep my attention the longest of the 3.

QFT. I wish more people would play a game before judging it. I clearly waited in my original posts, and it made good sense that I did after playing both, because it's exactly as you said. It's only comparable at face value, and only focusing on specific areas. You open your experience and view of the rest of the game, and it clearly stands out on it's own and is an excellent, different experience.

Here's another Diabl... i mean PoE screenie

That's clearly PoE dude. If you've ever played a game of 'point out the differences', I could write you a page of changes they made to it. Instead, you've clearly not played both.