Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

I'm still not convinced by the Guild Wars 2 hype.

Comments

• jtcgsjtcgs Member Posts: 1,777

Originally posted by tixylix

Everything about the build up to this game reminds me of every other MMO that has come out since WoW and failed...

No.

Its called Hype for a reason. "to create interest in a flamboyant or dramatic way".

No game has ever lived up to its hype, ever...because the word requires exageration. Not even WoW lived up to its hype because that game was going to "reinvent" MMOs and it didnt, it took every idea from other games and called it new. Oooh aaah.

“I hope we shall crush...in its birth the aristocracy of our moneyed corporations, which dare already to challenge our government to a trial of strength and bid defiance to the laws of our country." ~Thomes Jefferson

• diabisdiabis Member Posts: 35

I think the Hype, is always going to make people wonder. But As I have seen with in past with this group of Dev and the company they never promise what they can not give or what is not ready. That is a key selling point to me. They went to work on this game because they could not give the public what they wanted with GW1 game engine. I have seen the whine of the look of the toon, remember you can make your toon look like you wish and they have a nice deep list of races. No healers in this verison, so you have already improved the gaming experence. I will not have to wait a year and a day to get a healer and hope they are good, those that play the clas will no longer have to thus spending hours of looking at health bars instead of the game. There is no way a game can make all happy, but lets look deeply here they have covered a hugh group of gamers with what they are at just for lauch. I will say this again, open world PvP leads to bad gaming for many, human nature and the bully that gets bored and goes about in a perma red state ruining the game for others. I have seen WvW maps and play thru with tournment as well, you can have PvP from day/hour 1, unlike alot of open worlds that you have to grind to play and if you have a life outside of game would mean months of trying to find level areas where you can level before someone that has no resposibilities comes along maxed out and kills you with a laugh haha. I have heard here mention of Tera, nothing to do at the moment so I took advantage of Tera beta weekend. Petty game, but very classic Asain grinder trust me with each level more and more collection run here and there, stay withiin map Z and Oboy finally I can go to next  block of map. I think if you are drawn to complain you can find something wrong withanything. I have seen to date nothing about GW2 I do not like, I look forward to my first hands on Event weekend this weekend. They have fixed with GW2 the few things I felt I was driven away from GW1, they are going to finally I hope give us world level AI that will switch up depending on player and things going on. In the end what has been annouced is what they can give and I find the list really worth the pre-order I did for both myself and my husband. But if you do not like it, feel free to move along to something else :-P

Look for the Rose with the Thorn.

• VesaviusVesavius Member RarePosts: 7,908

Originally posted by TwoThreeFour

Originally posted by Vesavius

Originally posted by MMOExposed

Originally posted by Vesavius

Guess I'll see on Friday, though I bet I'll hate it.

Seems like you are setting yourself up to do just that tbh.

If you are not 'convinced' why on Earth did you pre purchase? Just for the moan value?

0.o

same reason people got CoD MW3 but complained about it

It's just a confusing mentallity to me... Seems people just want to whine.

There are so many games out there that I AM convinced by in which to spend my time, I don't see the need to gamble on ones that aren't.

One would be able to argue that there are not that many MMORPGs out there. Once you've played WoW, you have played plenty of the games already out.

The gaming world is bigger then MMORPGs. A lot bigger, and the diversity out there is pretty staggering if you look beyond the hyped Majors.

To my mind, if there wasn't a MMORPG that 'convinced' me at the time of purchase I just wouldn't play MMOs until there was. I certainly wouln't intentionally spend my money thinking it wasn't probably gonna be something I like (and then, no doubt, come on to forums after to whinge because I felt entitled because I had spent money...)

Seems this guy is simply going out of his way to find something the complain about. Just dosen't seem a very healthy way approaching the situation.

• IcewhiteIcewhite Member Posts: 6,403

Cynicism is defensive.  That can be good for people who basically fear change.

Self-pity imprisons us in the walls of our own self-absorption. The whole world shrinks down to the size of our problem, and the more we dwell on it, the smaller we are and the larger the problem seems to grow.

• VesaviusVesavius Member RarePosts: 7,908

Originally posted by jtcgs

Everything about the build up to this game reminds me of every other MMO that has come out since WoW and failed...

No.

Its called Hype for a reason. "to create interest in a flamboyant or dramatic way".

No game has ever lived up to its hype, ever...because the word requires exageration. Not even WoW lived up to its hype because that game was going to "reinvent" MMOs and it didnt, it took every idea from other games and called it new. Oooh aaah.

I would say that is untrue.

Recently Skyrim, I think, has matched if not exceeded it's pre launch hype for many and there have been others.

That aside, hype can mean different things, aside from you one example. For instance;

1. Excessive publicity and the ensuing commotion: the hype surrounding the murder trial. 

It is not necessarily linked to untruths or exageration.

(you should think more IMO before telling people 'no' in such absolute terms... it can look bad for you when countered :/ )

• MithrandolirMithrandolir Member UncommonPosts: 1,701

People just need to start observing "hype" as exactly what it is... subjective. Not everyone is suppose to agree with it. I would never base my purchasing decision on the opinions of others, to each their own.

For some this game will be the "end all", for some it will suck. I have a friend who still plays and loves TOR, while for me it was without a doubt one of the worst mmorpgs out there (luckily I found this out before wasting money on it), him and I simply want something different out of our games.

I have not seen anything from GW2 that makes me interested, but I have no doubt there will be plenty of people who find their home here and love this game for a long time.

It's like any other form of entertainment. Movies, books, sports, etc... if a group of people hype and love golf, that doesn't mean they are lying... just that they feel differently about it than I do. For many, this really will be the best mmorpg ever.

• PalmyCloudPalmyCloud Member Posts: 79

What you do is blaming ANet for their decisions. This is the game they settled on, if it is not for you, then do not play it. Furthermore what you criticise is what ArenaNet is doing, ignoring how well they are doing it. You simply judge from what you do not like. Just admit that there is a reason that you want to hate GW2 for, ignore that and you will see that everything that you have argued about is simply based on stereotypes.  People say every game has something good that it was developed for, so rather than trying to find things to support your hate look for things you like this weekend. If you only focus on bad stuff you will only find bad stuff.

• GeezerGamerGeezerGamer Member EpicPosts: 8,855

Originally posted by itgrowls

well it will be difficult for those who loved vanilla wow to convert to the new standard that will come after GW2 is released and they blast the record of sales out of the water for the past two years of any game title or expansion. I can understand that change being unfamiliar is something that people have an issue with and often fear, but fear is irrational. I'm sure your fears will be put to rest on friday.

If that statement isn't at the exact heart of the OP's post, I don't know what is. It's a bit premature and presumptious...honestly.

I want to play GW2 for one reason. I love leveling new alts and GW2 will have as much to offer for me in that regard as I had when I leveled a few back in Vanilla WoW.

That said, I share many concerns with the OP. I personally feel tha tGW2 is going to fail to deliver long term. But that may be baseless, I don't know.

2 of my biggest concerns:

1. I give ANet a lot of credit for identifying the issues with the current selection of MMOs and trying to rectify them. The problem is that they threw the baby out with the bathwater. THe misconception is that the downward trend in MMOs happened in 2004. I don't agree. WoW and it's 1st expansion were fantastic. Sure there were failed clones back then, but they failed because they sucked in their own right. The current state of MMOs with the gear grind and all tha tcrap started in WOTLK. The gear grind wasn't that bad in TBC. I was in GRUULs holding the number 2 spot in DPS wearing a combination of Epics and blues. The gear disparity wasn't so profound and gear was only margianlly better as it increased. I never recall anyone in TBC getting laughed at for having epics equipped. I do recall that happeingin in WOTLK. So instead of retuning the problem, they elimiated gear. I hated the gear griond of LK too, but I don't know if this is the best solution either. People don't want a grind, but they do want soemthing. And I don't think most gamer's will be satisfied with aesthetics only. The traditional endgame dungeon grind. Yes, it got old. No body does the same dungeon 15 times and comes out saying "Again! Again! Let's do it again daddy!" People did it for the drops and the badges. So without the drops and the badges, what makes GW2's dungeons so attractive that people are going t owant to run them over and over? Anyway, this is about where I'll be rolling an alt. So we'll see. 

2. And my other concern is the Cash Shop. It's a dam 800lb gorilla that everyone want's to ignore. It will not be in the beta...at least not with it's final offerings. I don't for one sec believe it will be a duplicate of GW1's offerings. GW2 has a lot more money to recover than GW1 and ANet and NCsoft are going to want a continuous revenue stream. The cashs shop is the only answer, so it's going to nedd to offer more than some companion pets, pirate outfits and keys. Most cash shops make their money in consumables. So what kind of consumeables are people going to WANT to buy? They will have to be desireable. And in GW2 EXP Boosts really aren't so there will be something else. And to think that it will just drop in the game so you can farm it there, or that you can farm gold to get gems to get CS items, doesn't work in other CS games. Since there is Gems and RMT, the entire GW2 economy will revolve around the price of Gems. That will be the defining standard against what every other item ingame will have it's value gagued. Farming won't be as effective as real cash. It'll be like trying to canoe against the rapids. Yeah, maybe you can do it, but it will be much more work than it will be fun. The argument was never about Pay to Win. But rahter the words ANet used specifically were "Nothing Evil" and "No unfair advantage". They NEVER said it wouldn't be P2W. You can still ave degrees of P2W and not haveanything tha tfits such a lose and subjective definition of "Evil" that also goes for anything considered an "Unfair Advantage" Another hightly subjective description. Does it also means they can offer things that are considered to be a "Fair Advantage"? and how do you define that? I bet  there will be some who are currently dismissing the cash shop as irrelevant who are going to be quite upset on release.

• waynejr2waynejr2 Member EpicPosts: 7,769

Originally posted by Icewhite

Cynicism is defensive.  That can be good for people who basically fear change.

Except life is change and you can't escape it.

http://www.youhaventlived.com/qblog/2010/QBlog190810A.html  

Epic Music:   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vAigCvelkhQ&list=PLo9FRw1AkDuQLEz7Gvvaz3ideB2NpFtT1

https://archive.org/details/softwarelibrary_msdos?&sort=-downloads&page=1

Kyleran:  "Now there's the real trick, learning to accept and enjoy a game for what it offers rather than pass on what might be a great playing experience because it lacks a few features you prefer."

John Henry Newman: "A man would do nothing if he waited until he could do it so well that no one could find fault."

FreddyNoNose:  "A good game needs no defense; a bad game has no defense." "Easily digested content is just as easily forgotten."

LacedOpium: "So the question that begs to be asked is, if you are not interested in the game mechanics that define the MMORPG genre, then why are you playing an MMORPG?"

• lilHealalilHeala Member UncommonPosts: 522

Originally posted by Adamantine

I find it hilarious that nobody is able to give any serious counterargument to the OP.

I was kind of hoping *someone* would be able to explain why GW2 is the second coming of Chri ... err the super MMO, but apparently nobody really is.

Personally I was bored to death with GW1 after 3 days or so playing. I dont see how GW2 will be any different in this respect.

Think you're confusing the words "able" and "willing" there :P

There have been a gazillion of threads like this so most that like (what they know / seen of) the game got tired of providing the same arguments again to people that are either very badly informed and just jumped on the hypetrain or are very hard to take serious, if not outright trolling badly.

• UtukuMoonUtukuMoon Member Posts: 1,066

Originally posted by lathaan

and why should we care?

Best reponse yet.

• GeezerGamerGeezerGamer Member EpicPosts: 8,855

Originally posted by Sylvarii

and why should we care?

Best reponse yet.

Because ignroance is bliss? That is until reality slaps you in the face and you go WTF! while everyone around you is laughing at you saying "Toljaso"

It still should matter somewhat. There are stil enough unanswered questions to warrent at least "caring".

• VolkonVolkon Member UncommonPosts: 3,748

A quick note for Geezer and others that may or may not care... the cash shop will not only be available in the Beta, you'll also be getting 2000 gems free to play around with. As far as the "final" products being in there... if the shop is dynamic at all odds are there will never be a "final" set of products. Now, I'm likely to use my gems on some interesting things... a few keys perhaps, bag slot or two, maybe a mini-pet pack just to try them out. So soon, so soon

Oderint, dum metuant.

• IcewhiteIcewhite Member Posts: 6,403

Originally posted by waynejr2

Except life is change and you can't escape it.

You can't escape life?  Let me call my insurance dude, I've got some policies to cancel.

Eep, I hope the Pope accepts my collect call, too!

Self-pity imprisons us in the walls of our own self-absorption. The whole world shrinks down to the size of our problem, and the more we dwell on it, the smaller we are and the larger the problem seems to grow.

• sk8chalifsk8chalif Member UncommonPosts: 666

Originally posted by nilden

Originally posted by tomer10001

27-29 GW2 First open beta, after that I will tell you exacly wether its hyped or not.

According to all the information released now I'd say its now like wow or and other mmo and yet will succedd.

Open beta if you paid to get in.

My friend is on the beta weekend this weekend because he just sign up during the big 50h beta sign up. he did not pre-purchased.

if u realy wanted to get in u could pay yes. but u had chance to get in if u signed up too,

~The only opinion that matters is your own.Everything else is just advice,~

• niceguy3978niceguy3978 Member UncommonPosts: 2,049

Originally posted by itgrowls

well it will be difficult for those who loved vanilla wow to convert to the new standard that will come after GW2 is released and they blast the record of sales out of the water for the past two years of any game title or expansion. I can understand that change being unfamiliar is something that people have an issue with and often fear, but fear is irrational. I'm sure your fears will be put to rest on friday.

This made me chuckle.  Do you really think there are enough people outside of mmo fans that know about this game to "blow sales records out of the water?"

• redcap036redcap036 Member UncommonPosts: 1,230
    You will be convinced! (makes angry face and shakes fist at op)
  • LucioonLucioon Member UncommonPosts: 819

You don't have to like the game, or listen to the Fans.

Whether or not you are buying this game because of the hype or for actual reasons, its your decision and your decision only.

I Pre-purchased because I want a game that doesn't have the traditional Trinity, and GW2 gives me that.

IF someone found a way to become a healer and tank, then I will quite GW2 and since its no Subs, I am not losing anything.

For many, they like the new questing systems, others likes the WvW

These are all features already in game, ready to be tested tomorrow.

If you haven't found any of the features of GW2 that you likes, then I don't think you will ever like GW2. Some even stated that they feel the graphics is 2006, in my opinion its very good, and I feel its 2020. But its all subject to personal tastes and feelings. I also like Tera, but won't be playing it because it still contains the traditional Trinity and thats my Opinion, not yours.

Why did you buy GW2 anyways?? So that you can test out the beta?

You can just watch the streams that is available everywhere, as well as youtube videos after a few days. They never forced you to buy the game. If you bought it due to hype, its only your own problem not Anet's or anyone elses.

Its just harder and harder to read forum posts when people are blaming HYPE for their own decisions when people are just trying to share their excitements for a new game thats about to come out. Its not our fault that we found a mechanic in GW2 that we liked and try to show others why its exciting.

Life is a Maze, so make sure you bring your GPS incase you get lost in it.

• observerobserver Member RarePosts: 3,685
    There's no reason to be hyped.  There is so much information on this game everywhere.  Videos, Events, Articles, etc.   The only people that will be disappointed, are the people who didn't research this game, and bought into the hype on blind faith.
  • bumuscheekusbumuscheekus Member Posts: 214

It differs from recent overhyped but ultimately disappointing games in several important respects:

1. There's no sneaky, limitless NDA where you cant even see what members of the press think of it in advance (just a beta tester NDA so people can't spread nonsense about an unfinished game and turn potential players off unjustly).

2. This means theyre somewhat confident that it's a good game versus, say, SWTOR.

3. The comments by people allowed to comment have been overwhealmingly positive, this was not the case even in leaked comments about the above mentioned game or indeed many other games I could mention.

4. It appears to be at least trying to do something different and innovative which is a hell of a lot more than I can say for the majority of overhyped MMORPGs in the last 5 years and that is worth my humble pre-purchase in itself, if it turns out not to be a keeper then so be it. I costs more than £50 for a single, decent night out in London, and at least this way I have something to show for it other than a sore head and 21 years of child support ;-)  

• sammyelisammyeli Member Posts: 765

@OP, I did not read your post because of your title.

If hype is the deciding factor if you will have fun in a game or not, then I think you should reconsider your deciding factors. O_O

“The truth may be puzzling. It may take some work to grapple with. It may be counterintuitive. It may contradict deeply held prejudices. It may not be consonant with what we desperately want to be true. But our preferences do not determine what's true.”

Carl Sagan-

• LucioonLucioon Member UncommonPosts: 819

Originally posted by GeezerGamer

Originally posted by Sylvarii

and why should we care?

Best reponse yet.

Because ignroance is bliss? That is until reality slaps you in the face and you go WTF! while everyone around you is laughing at you saying "Toljaso"

It still should matter somewhat. There are stil enough unanswered questions to warrent at least "caring".

It already happened and it will keep happening, we should all know by now that its our own fault for buying a game without research. Like you said, it happened with AOC, DCO, SWTOR....etc there are many games to teach us to do our own research.

I bought SWTOR without research, didn't know alot about it other than the Developer is Bioware, and its Starwars, and that you will get personal Stories. Other than that I was clueless on what SWTOR is.

For GW2, I watched the beta videos, I read the explanations from the developers, I found mechanics that I wanted in other MMO's that I believe was missing, And Knowing that its already in and was tested by many people. Its finally a purchase that I know what I am getting.

Life is a Maze, so make sure you bring your GPS incase you get lost in it.

• AnubisanAnubisan Member UncommonPosts: 1,798

I too think the game is most likely over-hyped. Still, I have purchased it and will be playing the beta this weekend. I'm sure the game will be fun, but I don't expect it to be the savior of the genre like so many people around here seem to.

It is better to expect the worst and be pleasantly surprised than to expect the game to be perfect and be disappointed by reality. I think a lot of people around here are setting themselves up for yet another game to fall short of their unrealistic expectations...

• sassoonsssassoonss Member UncommonPosts: 1,132

Thread opener if you have stated sdo many reasons as why not to play then you shouldnt.

Nopthing anyone says or shows you will change your opinion

Perhaps donw the line they might offer free trial then you can check if for yourself

• HengistHengist Member RarePosts: 1,282

It isnt just the hype, it's the community make-up and lack of detractors.

Just think about the usual community and pre-release cycle that we see, and for each 10-15 hardcore fans, you have 2-3 detractors, here the proportions are slanted that much further in the favor of the fans. I'm not saying it's a bad thing at all, I think it just means that ArenaNet has done a good job of presenting positive information for a diverse group of fans, and that really isnt easy to do.

Personally, I dont care a lot about the PvE, because I kind of agree with what Total Biscuit said, that if you are in an area for awhile, and you see the same event happening over and over it sort of takes away a feeling that you impacted the world. I like the dynamic events, but for me it's WvWvW that I'm really excited about, and what I've seen so far is interesting. Other folks who prefer PvE are all about the dynamic events.

I guess my point is that ArenaNet is offering enough that people can pick and choose what they like, as well as share interest in some of the revamps (combat) from standard MMO-fare.

While I'm interestest, I'll definitely get more interested after I get to experience some of these things first hand.