Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

I'm still not convinced by the Guild Wars 2 hype.

Comments

• VolkonVolkon Member UncommonPosts: 3,748

Originally posted by UsulDaNeriak

during this beta-weekend, we will see not a lot of dynamics and branching events. the masses will simply zerg the events and roflstomp everything to death within seconds.

yes, i know, events scale. but we will see.

I have to admit... the Broodmothers are going to have a rough weekend. image

Oderint, dum metuant.

• VolkonVolkon Member UncommonPosts: 3,748

Originally posted by dontadow

The big difference between Rift events and GW dynamic quests is that Rift events exist in a world with traditional quests.  Unless there's a big "rift event"and which only happens a few times a day per zone, rifts don't get as much attention and are ignored.  The inclusion of normal quests as the main form of xp gathering is what creates the grind.  If Rifts was nothing but "rifts' i believe it would work out better and be closer to a dynamic evenrionment.  Especially if rifts spawned mosnters and those monsters did more than just along the roads.  

Rift just introduced the instant adventure, whjich is one chained quest with no deviations in one area.  It's fairly limited.  If Rift ever does a redesign, it needs to eliminate the regular quests and focus soley on rifts being the main focus of PvE.  

That could make for an interesting expansion... RIft: Incursions, where if you beat a rift you have a small window of time to enter the rift yourself and establish a beach head wherever those things come from, having that world fully dynamic event driven.

Oderint, dum metuant.

• The_KorriganThe_Korrigan Member RarePosts: 3,459

Originally posted by dontadow

The big difference between Rift events and GW dynamic quests is that Rift events exist in a world with traditional quests.  Unless there's a big "rift event"and which only happens a few times a day per zone, rifts don't get as much attention and are ignored.  The inclusion of normal quests as the main form of xp gathering is what creates the grind.  If Rifts was nothing but "rifts' i believe it would work out better and be closer to a dynamic evenrionment.  Especially if rifts spawned mosnters and those monsters did more than just along the roads.  

Rift just introduced the instant adventure, whjich is one chained quest with no deviations in one area.  It's fairly limited.  If Rift ever does a redesign, it needs to eliminate the regular quests and focus soley on rifts being the main focus of PvE.  

I'm sorry, but Rift's supposedly dynamic events have never been dynamic. It's just another form of mob spawn point, nothing more. Once you killed the mobs, the world is exactly like it was before. There's nothing dynamic in that.

In GW2, if you "fail" an event, the world is changed. That's what I call "dynamic" in my book, more than just another way to spawn mobs. A changing, dynamic world.

Respect, walk, what did you say?
    Respect, walk
    Are you talkin' to me? Are you talkin' to me?
    - PANTERA at HELLFEST 2023
    Yes, they are back !

• Atlan99Atlan99 Member UncommonPosts: 1,332

Originally posted by GrayGhost79

Ok.... lets be realistic about this.

What has been said to be in game that we haven't seen yet?

We aren't talking about random promises made by devs that gave nothing to back any of it up.

"Soon(tm)"

We aren't talking about hype generated by some trailer with a high production value.

What people are expecting is to get their hands on what we've already seen.

Sure, Hype is bad. Hype is a marketing strategy that is used to convience people that this is something they must have, it's done by making unrealistic promises and giving vauge glimpses of a product.

What we have with GW2 is, we were told about what would be in, we were shown it in game, we were shown it in action. And many of us want to play the game we've seen.

Hopefully this doesn't affect your "Well I know what everyone is really looking for and it's unrealistic" type posts though, they are fun to read while waiting for the beta to start :)

Ree Soesbee made some claims in the GW2 manifesto trailer that are misleading to say the least.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=35BPhT-KI1E

"...you effect things around you in a very permanent way."

"...you are rescuing a village that will stay rescued."

• KuppaKuppa Member UncommonPosts: 3,292

Originally posted by Atlan99

We aren't talking about random promises made by devs that gave nothing to back any of it up.

"Soon(tm)"

We aren't talking about hype generated by some trailer with a high production value.

Sure, Hype is bad. Hype is a marketing strategy that is used to convience people that this is something they must have, it's done by making unrealistic promises and giving vauge glimpses of a product.

What we have with GW2 is, we were told about what would be in, we were shown it in game, we were shown it in action. And many of us want to play the game we've seen.

Hopefully this doesn't affect your "Well I know what everyone is really looking for and it's unrealistic" type posts though, they are fun to read while waiting for the beta to start :)

Ree Soesbee made some claims in the GW2 manifesto trailer that are misleading to say the least.

Tell me sir, what is really permanent? And, how fun would actually staying permanent forever really be?? You don't have to take it so literal image

Originally posted by Kuppa

"Soon(tm)"

Tell me sir, what is really permanent? And, how fun would actually staying permanent forever really be?? You don't have to take it so literal image

Permanent - existing perpetually; everlasting, especially without significant change.

Are you trying to say that  people should be more ambigious when making claims about products they are marketing? Or that I should will nilly interpret words in any way I deem fit?

Permanent - existing perpetually; everlasting, especially without significant change.

Are you trying to say that  people should be more ambigious when making claims about products they are marketing? Or that I should will nilly interpret words in any way I deem fit?

As long as it's dynamic enough to never know what to expect when you roll an alt, It'll all good for me. At least the world really changes, unlike other games which claim "dynamism" but don't have it.

Respect, walk
    Yes, they are back !

• GrayGhost79GrayGhost79 Member UncommonPosts: 4,775

Originally posted by Kuppa

"Soon(tm)"

... Well, honestly I asumed they were talking about the personal story quests. Which lives up to what was said above from what I've seen.

Maybe you should simply give examples of things not living up to what was stated?

Might help your cause a bit more than going on a rant :)

... Well, honestly I asumed they were talking about the personal story quests. Which lives up to what was said above from what I've seen.

Maybe you should simply give examples of things not living up to what was stated?

Lol.

I just did give examples.

I didn't realize that pointing misleading statements made what I said a rant. :)

• saluksaluk Member Posts: 325

Look, the whole MMO "perfect game" ideal is basically what is wrong with this genre. Devs fall into the idea that a game has to have every single feature you can have and try to do more than they are able in too short a time, and the games fall short. Fans only buy games that they think will be their perfect game, and since there IS no such thing, they come away feeling like the game really let them down, like it's not only not their perfect game, but also REALLY BAD. Part of it, if you are coming from other games (like WoW), is that you are hoping for either more of the same but a whole new feeling (which if it is really more of the same, how is it really going to be a whole new feeling), or something completely different.

You really can't win, as a superfan who fits this mold, or as a developer.

Guild Wars 2 won't be the perfect game. It will be good, maybe great even, for what it is. But people who read more into the hype than is there are going to be disappointed. Most of the hype is based on fact, not fiction. Most of the hype for SWTOR was based on fiction. Everything I read about the game painted a WoW in space picture. I actually was impressed with the game based on what the actual hype made the game sound like. Here the hype actually makes the game sound pretty good.

But it wont be perfect, and if you go in expecting either a completely different experience than some other game, or a very similar one, you will probably be annoyed. Most people seem to want the game to be the same as WoW (gear grind, mounts, raids) as well as wanting it to be totally different (what? dynamic events are just rift invasions that will get boring, then its back to normal questing. not innovative).

Make up your minds based on what it actually is and what it has been portrayed to be by people who have actually played it. Don't just make stuff up.

• GrayGhost79GrayGhost79 Member UncommonPosts: 4,775

Lol.

I didn't realize that pointing misleading statements made what I said a rant. :)

Ahh, so dropping some comments by the devs and not giving any examples of how they failed to live up to those statments was giving examples. Sorry, my bad.

"Are you trying to say that  people should be more ambigious when making claims about products they are marketing? Or that I should will nilly interpret words in any way I deem fit?"

And that to me looks like the start of a rant session, I didn't realize this was you pointing out misleading statements. If it was my apologies, but I don't remember the devs ever saying the above quote in red. Could you maybe post a link?

Actually don't worry about it, you seem to have trouble keeping track of where you are in the discussion. I would hate to confuse you more.

• BadSpockBadSpock Member UncommonPosts: 7,979

"Soon(tm)"

I bet when the Roman Empire conquered half the known world they thought they were effecting things in a very permanent way and that the villages they rescured/captured would stay rescured/captured.

:)

Lol.

Ahh, so dropping some comments by the devs and not giving any examples of how they failed to live up to those statments was giving examples. Sorry, my bad.

"Are you trying to say that  people should be more ambigious when making claims about products they are marketing? Or that I should will nilly interpret words in any way I deem fit?"

And that to me looks like the start of a rant session, I didn't realize this was you pointing out misleading statements. If it was my apologies, but I don't remember the devs ever saying the above quote in red. Could you maybe post a link?

Actually don't worry about it, you seem to have trouble keeping track of where you are in the discussion. I would hate to confuse you more.

Yes it was. Those claims are impossible to follow through on. I  thought that was implied. If you disagree, please give examples from the game.

And please, let's drop the Ad Hominem's. I would like to think you were above such tactics.

• Master10KMaster10K Member Posts: 3,065

Lol.

I actually find it funny that you had to look back to a 2 year old video, for a quote and to skew it in a way to use as your arguement against the game. For naysayers like yourself to go to such lengths, to try and prove that the devs are lying to us and selling a false product, is really something. It's actually somewhat amusing.

Well just over an hour till beta. Hopefully this thread would have died by the time I come back. image

• thekid1thekid1 Member UncommonPosts: 789

Originally posted by Volkon

Originally posted by thekid1

"I bet this "dynamic" content isn't so dynamic when the game is released, people get to play for longer and get bored and see patterns in it."

I believe this is already the case. I saw a video where the time between the dynamic events was greatly reduced (a bug or something) and people already saw the same stuff happening multiple times.

A few week after release I bet there will be websites which chart all dynamic events.

Be careful you're not confusing the "renown heart" style events with the DEs. The "RH" ones are much more cyclical and designed to always be there. You complete it once and the NPC becomes a karma vendor of some sort for you and you fill in the gold heart on the map. This replaces the more generic "!" quests and can easily be found by looking at the map. The dynamic events have various triggers instead, be they a timer, a player action (or inaction), etc. and are less predictable.

I'm pretty sure it was about the dynamic events.

Anyway the dynamic events are scripted so off course you will be playing the same event multiple times.  Even if one event has ten different outcomes leading to another event after a few months or perhaps even weeks you will be playing the same content.

I fear it will become even worse and people will try to get a certain outcome; ruining it for the new players.

• IcewhiteIcewhite Member Posts: 6,403

Originally posted by Master10K

I actually find it funny that you had to look back to a 2 year old video, for a quote and to skew it in a way to use as your arguement against the game. For naysayers like yourself to go to such lengths, to try and prove that the devs are lying to us and selling a false product, is really something. It's actually somewhat amusing.

Now, just to be different, try making the same point without the dripping condescension.

Self-pity imprisons us in the walls of our own self-absorption. The whole world shrinks down to the size of our problem, and the more we dwell on it, the smaller we are and the larger the problem seems to grow.

Originally posted by Icewhite

Now, just to be different, try making the same point without the dripping condescension.

BOOM goes the dynomite! lol

In all seriousness any dev in their right mind in this day and age knows that every.single.word they ever say is inscribed on a stone tablet somewhere and will be used either for/against them by the masses at some point down the road.

Not saying it's right, but we the gamer populace hang off of every word.

Originally posted by BadSpock

Lies! They LIED to us when they promised us rocket cars in every garage by the year 2000.

Self-pity imprisons us in the walls of our own self-absorption. The whole world shrinks down to the size of our problem, and the more we dwell on it, the smaller we are and the larger the problem seems to grow.

Lies! They LIED to us when they promised us rocket cars in every garage by the year 2000.

I'm still waiting on those patch notes.

• BetaguyBetaguy Member UncommonPosts: 2,629

Originally posted by tixylix

Everything about the build up to this game reminds me of every other MMO that has come out since WoW and failed. It's always the media going "how amazing is this" because they go to some controlled event and are told by the developer why this and that feature are so innovative. Then you get to play the game and realise the smoke and mirrors behind that feature and realise it isn't so great. I bet this "dynamic" content isn't so dynamic when the game is released, people get to play for longer and get bored and see patterns in it. PC Gamer even said it seems rather scripted in their playthrough of GW2 and didn't seem that enthusiastic about it.

Everything is warning me off like the horrible choice of races, I think they all look like they came from an Asian MMO such as AION, Tera, Arche Age or Lineage etc. They have that horrible rabbit looking race which annoys me, it's like what Final Fantasy does with some small midget race to try and be "cute" because I guess the culture over there loves that stuff. Then you have how you teleport all over the world, which really breaks the immersion for me and just feels more like a game than a world. You had them stupid looking teleport doorways which I don't understand why they're a colour in  wall.... looks more placeholder to me. They could just have a doorway where you can see into the next zone so it feels a bit more immersive. 

The worst thing of all is I thing all the classes really bland, I've watched countless videos of them all and everyone praising them for being so amazing and unique and yet they all sort of look the same. I mean without the "trinity" they all do the same thing and they don't really look all that unique either. When you play TF2 you even have a trinity and every character is really unique and sticks out. You have your favourite class but you love to play them all because they all have their own personality and are really different. You have the DPS classes, the tank classes and the healer but the difference is you don't need the trinity to win because it is twitch based so it requires skill to win. 

Every MMO where I've found the classes to look really bland, I find that I don't like it. I just end up levelling 4 or 5 characters to level 20 before realising I hate them all, they all feel watered down or the same and just get bored and quit. The best MMO for classes was WoW, every class felt so unique, so fun to play and they all looked different, you could tell what class someone was playing just by looking at them in a split second. I found myself playing every class because I loved them all and not because I was struggling to find one I liked.

There are no mounts which are something everyone likes to get, they're the ultimate loot and running around everywhere is so much more fun with a mount. There is no open PVP either, it's all battleground based like SWTOR was where you have them calling Ilum as World PVP when it isn't because it isn't...

I just find the whole game bland really, the story just doesn't excite me, the world just looks rather generic and the art style just looks like another generic fantasy Asian MMO. Yet I pre ordered the game because I've been waiting since 2005 for an MMO I liked, I even bought Dark and Light back in the day even though it looked like crap, people were hyping that game up massively too lol. 

Guess I'll see on Friday, though I bet I'll hate it and it'll be more money down the drain.... only good news is the login screen is nice lol. I hope I eat my words and it's the best MMO since WoW. It's just all the fans as well saying how amazing it is that makes me think even more that it isn't. Every MMO it's the same story where either they're excited to be the only ones in beta so they feel part of a club and have to defend it or they believe the media hype who only get to see it in controlled bursts. They always drive players away as well when they claim that everything they say is wrong.

Like I said I hope on Friday I'm eating my words.

The game is already tired right out the gate, you'll feel burnt as soon as you run the first collection quest.

"The King and the Pawn return to the same box at the end of the game"

Originally posted by Betaguy

The game is already tired right out the gate, you'll feel burnt as soon as you run the first collection quest.

Just curiosity, would you consider that the developer's fault then, or yyour overexposure to frequently used quest plots?

• HurvartHurvart Member Posts: 565

BOOM goes the dynomite! lol

In all seriousness any dev in their right mind in this day and age knows that every.single.word they ever say is inscribed on a stone tablet somewhere and will be used either for/against them by the masses at some point down the road.

If you think about it you will realize it works like that for all products. Like if there is rumor Samsung will release a new TV next month. If a PR guy from Samsung visits a home theater forum and explains what features the new TV will have he will have to be careful. If one feature is missing when its released people on that forum will go crazy. Because they are home theater fanatics and its a very very big deal for them. Makes no difference if normal customers never recognize it. Some of them would perhaps whine about that missing feature for months...and swear to never buy anything from Samsung again. If they preordered a TV they will think its fraud and so on.

• BetaguyBetaguy Member UncommonPosts: 2,629

Originally posted by Betaguy

Just curiosity, would you consider that the developer's fault then, or yyour overexposure to frequently used quest plots?

If I am over exposed, doesn't that lead back to the developers at the end of the day?

"The King and the Pawn return to the same box at the end of the game"

• TheocritusTheocritus Member LegendaryPosts: 9,754
         The hype for this game is very bothersome...It reminds me of a few years ago when Darkfall was coming out.... Fanbois were going absolutely nuts over it and you knew none of them really did not know much about it... I read the beta advice on ten ton hammer for GW2 and after reading it I think Im not as enthused about it........The one thing that turned me off big time is they said yo ucan simply just buy your weapons off of vendors...While some people will like that , I do not....I enjoy working hard to either make my own stuff or laboring for it....SImply buying good stuff off a vendor on day one is pretty bogus really......ALso Im not a huge fan of most PVP based games...They tend to draw alot of jerks into the community......Im definitely waiting a few months for the hype to die down in this game (and most likely the price).......I was not a fan of GW1 at all, which does play a minor part in my decision also.
    There's a small difference with Darkfail (typo intended ;)) though... Darkfail was made by a bunch of arrogant nobodies, while GW2 is made by a team who already made successful games, and I don't mean only GW1 (some ArenaNET come from the original (pre-WoW) Blizzard team.
    Respect, walk
    Yes, they are back !