Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Ive downloaded the gw2. but a problem

Comments

• lilHealalilHeala Member UncommonPosts: 522

Originally posted by wrightstuf

Originally posted by drakaena

Has anyone else still not received an email?

whoa. i could be wrong but i thought everyone got theirs by late yesterday evening. did you pre purchase as opposed to pre order? was kinda misleading. pre order is a no go

Don't make folks panic :p

Anet tweeted several times since late yesterday that still not all mails have been sent out because they doing it in batches and some folks are having dificulties to receive them.

I prepurchased DDE directly from Anet / NCSoft, have an active account and downloaded the client but still didn't receive my email.

Even if trying to launch the game it says my account is all set to go but that there's currently no beta event ongoing.

So no need to panic just yet except if the launcher doesn't accept your account login at all (you won't be able to create an account without the prepurchase gamecode in the first place so that's allready a reason not to panic).

• just1opinionjust1opinion Member UncommonPosts: 4,641

Originally posted by frisp

Originally posted by Phelcher

WHERE... do you doownload it from...?

http://cloudfront.guildwars2.com/client/Gw2.exe

Is that^ official....  no cert with it

Yes it's the real deal.

yes, its the real deal as far as a client download, but, no, its not official

It's the EXACT link that GW2 takes me to via their invitation to the BWE letter.  What is that but official?  It's the EXACT link.  Yes, it's official.

President of The Marvelously Meowhead Fan Club

• wrightstufwrightstuf Member UncommonPosts: 659

Originally posted by just1opinion

Yes it's the real deal.

It's the EXACT link that GW2 takes me to via their invitation to the BWE letter.  What is that but official?  It's the EXACT link.  Yes, it's official.

dude, its a download link to the ACTUAL client. i never said it wasnt....BUT, its from an unofficial site....click your link. where does it say ANet anything??...its just a link to the file

"cloudfront" is a web content delivery service. i think its actaully part of amazon

• KaeriganKaerigan Member Posts: 689

Yes it's the real deal.

dude, its a download link to the ACTUAL client. i never said it wasnt....BUT, its from an unofficial site....click your link. where does it say ANet anything??...its just a link to the file

What are you on about? guildwars2.com is the official website of Guild Wars 2.

<childish, provocative and highly speculative banner about your favorite game goes here>

• wrightstufwrightstuf Member UncommonPosts: 659

Originally posted by Kaerigan

Yes it's the real deal.

that is true, but cloudfront isnt

• BartDaCatBartDaCat Member UncommonPosts: 813

Originally posted by BartDaCat

https://account.guildwars2.com/login

when you pre purchased, you should of gotten an email with details on registering your game. once doing do, this site will have it

I didn't pre-purchase, I've already payed for my 2 Collectors editions...  I paid CASH @ GameStop store...  How would they have gotten my email..?

if you already payed for 2 collector editions, how can you not have pre purchased?  i know squat about gamestop or wherever....all i know is its Anets game and they are the ones you need to register with in order to play. how you do that is your deal

I only pre-ordered through gameStop, not "pre-purchased".  Your prior post was telling people to "pre-purchase", that pre-order was a "no go".  We're just correcting that erroneous information, not trying to attack you.

I'm afraid it's YOUR information that is incorrect.  You do not get a guaranteed spot in the BWE through pre-ordering the game, only pre-purchasing.  Paying in full with cash IS pre-purchasing.  Go register on the gw2 site.  They'll take your email, but Gamestop should have provided you with 2 beta codes, basically, iirc, one for each game purchased.  Anyway....pre-ordering is a no-go just like the fella said.

The other guy may have pre-purchased, but I did not.

I pre-ordered through GameStop's website, and I was sent my code via e-mail.  I registered it through the provided link, and received my ANet e-mail yesterday.

Guild Wars 2

Congratulations! Your pre-order qualifies you for Beta Access, 3 Day Head Start and the Hero's Band!

Your unique code:

XXXXXX-XXXXX-XXXX-XXX-XXXXXXX

How to Redeem:

Visit register.guildwars2.com for instructions to activate your code.

So, I clicked the link, registered my code, and received:

Congratulations on successfully completing the registration process for Guild Wars 2!

The game client will be available shortly; we will send you an e-mail with a download link.

Your Guild Wars 2 User ID is:

XXXXXXXX.XXXX

This is a unique account identifier, consisting of a name and a randomly generated four-digit code. You'll use it during the Guild Wars 2 Beta Event, on the Beta Forums, and in Guild Wars 2 after launch. The name and four-digit code will be your handle on the Beta Forums. The four-digit code does not appear in the game itself unless another player chooses the same name, in which case both your name and the four-digit code will appear.

Save this e-mail for reference! You may need to provide the game account information or your unique ID to a customer service representative to obtain customer support.

We'll see you in-game!

The Guild Wars 2 Team      

So for the rest of you, "pre-order" works just fine.                                                     

• KaeriganKaerigan Member Posts: 689

Yes it's the real deal.

...It's a subdomain.

<childish, provocative and highly speculative banner about your favorite game goes here>

• lilHealalilHeala Member UncommonPosts: 522

Yes it's the real deal.

Cloudfront is a subpage/domain on guildwars2.com if you know how internet urls structure is built up.

But if you still don't trust people, you can also go there by logging into your account (https://account.guildwars2.com/account) clicking on forums-link on top of the page or go there directly: https://forum-en.guildwars2.com/forum/index.

Then in the middle of the page click on "News and Info" and then open the post "Getting Started". The download link and installation instructions are in there.

• NeferaNefera Member Posts: 426

Originally posted by Thorbrand

FYI...I downloaded and launched GW2 lastnight night however after closing the log on screen I had no files on my computer to relaunch the game (.exe, .tmp and .dat) where not on the computer. I had to redownload everything and now the files are there and I have the .exe available to launch the application. This is very strange and there was no errors during the download, just the files didn't exist, which makes no sense since it launched.

Did you move the downloaded client file to a different place, and launch it from there? Or did you launch it directly from your downloads folder?

The client creates the other gw2 files at the same location that the client is in. If, when downloading the file from guildwars2.com, you select to "Open" the file, and run the program from there, you're essentially running the client from your temporary files folder. So the game installs in the temporary files folder. And gets deleted once the temporary files are removed.

This is just a guess, but I can't think of any other reason why they'd just disappear. Just make sure to move gw2.exe to a safe location before running it.

• FBraegenFBraegen Member Posts: 5

sounds like you have a corrupted .dat file. that file contains all the game data.

if i were you, i'd delete that whole folder and start over again from the beginning. also delete anything related to GW2 you previously downloaded.

here's a step by step "foolproof" rundown for win 7...

1) download launcher (GW2.exe) its about a 20mb file and run it.

2) it will start downloading the game (GW2.DAT) about 12.7gb

3) dont hit "play" when done and uncheck small box that allows it

4) click start, double click "computer" right click then "new"...folder. name it "Guild Wars 2 Beta"

5)go to where your downloads go and find these 3 files

gw2, gw2.dat, and gw2.tmp

6) cut and paste those 3 files to the new folder you created

7) right click on your new folder and uncheck "read only." a box will come up asking if you want the same for the subfolders within...yes...also make sure you're running it as administrator. right click on the folder and find where you can click on "full control" will take care of it.

8) now that all that is done. and not before, run GW2.EXE within your new folder.

9) you should now be taken to your login in screen

10) congrats, you're golden!

I deleted everything I had related to Guild Wars 2, including pictures. I then re-downloaded it, making sure not to hit play / run and moved them to a new file that I called "Guild Wars 2 Beta". When I downloaded it, I only had 1 file and that was the Gw2.exe.

I am already the administrator, but opened it with as much control as possible, but it still got to the same point as before. It builds up to 148kb / second and then drops down to 145kb / second, before coming up with the crash error.

If it helps, I am on Windows XP Service pack 2, if that makes a difference?

Why is it I am only getting the Gw2.exe file when I am downloading and not the other 2? I get the Gw2.tmp once I run the program, but still no Gw2.dat. :(

• NorpanNorpan Member CommonPosts: 319
    I have another problem. I did get the game down etc. But when I get to the login screen and wanna get out, I can't. The game freezes the whole computer. I try ctrl-alt-delete it, but I can't even click in my task manager to shut it down. So the only way to shut it down and get back to desktop is to shut the whole thing down. Annoying.
  • WhiteProphetWhiteProphet Member UncommonPosts: 47

Hey guys I got a quick question too:

I started downloading but at some 135k files remaining my download stoped (droped to 0.0 mbits). I closed it and started agian and then the progress % started from 0. Deos this mean I have to start all over agian or can I close the patcher and continue at a later time/ is progress saved?

• ErinDarkstarErinDarkstar Member UncommonPosts: 27

This is for GW2 EU just started downloading new patch.

finish :)

• ErinDarkstarErinDarkstar Member UncommonPosts: 27

Originally posted by WhiteProphet

Hey guys I got a quick question too:

I started downloading but at some 135k files remaining my download stoped (droped to 0.0 mbits). I closed it and started agian and then the progress % started from 0. Deos this mean I have to start all over agian or can I close the patcher and continue at a later time/ is progress saved?

yes it is save.

• Hopscotch73Hopscotch73 Member UncommonPosts: 971

Originally posted by FBraegen

I deleted everything I had related to Guild Wars 2, including pictures. I then re-downloaded it, making sure not to hit play / run and moved them to a new file that I called "Guild Wars 2 Beta". When I downloaded it, I only had 1 file and that was the Gw2.exe.

I am already the administrator, but opened it with as much control as possible, but it still got to the same point as before. It builds up to 148kb / second and then drops down to 145kb / second, before coming up with the crash error.

If it helps, I am on Windows XP Service pack 2, if that makes a difference?

Why is it I am only getting the Gw2.exe file when I am downloading and not the other 2? I get the Gw2.tmp once I run the program, but still no Gw2.dat. :(

Service pack 2? Are you running 64-bit XP? If you're on 32-bit, upgrading to SP3 might help you along.

I know minspecs on the GW2 site say service pack 2 or better, so I hope that's not the source of the problem.

From what you've said it looks like it's crashing when trying to build the dat file on your system. Check your firewall first and if you've whitelisted the launcher and the exe file (eliminating the download being cut off by firewall) and are still having problems the next step would be to check you hard drive for errors (in case it can't write to it properly).

I have now upgraded to XP Service Pack 3, unfortunately it does not appear to have a 64 bit release. So I am still stuck with a 32 bit computer (at the moment) and having the exact same problem. In a couple of weeks I will be upgrding to Windows 7, but I will be too late for the Beta by then.

Does anyone else have any idea's that could help me, please?

• frispfrisp Member UncommonPosts: 30

I have now upgraded to XP Service Pack 3, unfortunately it does not appear to have a 64 bit release. So I am still stuck with a 32 bit computer (at the moment) and having the exact same problem. In a couple of weeks I will be upgrding to Windows 7, but I will be too late for the Beta by then.

There has been reports of some antivirus apps causing problems.

Which AV software are you running?

regards

frisp

• fiontarfiontar Member UncommonPosts: 3,682

Just to toss this in there for those having problems with the client download. Make sure you have enough disk space on the HDD where you are running the .exe from.

Also, if you do need to completely redownload the client because you had errors the first time, try a completely different download directory. Not sure if this has been mentioned, but there is also a known issue with some people having problems if the folder you are downloading to is with in the normal "/program files"  directory, so just put it in a root directory folder, like C:/GW2/

It will usually just run fine right from your normal download folder, so you don't even need to move it some place special. When the client is all set, there are only three files, so it's not like you will be fowling up an existing DL directory with tons of files.

Want to know more about GW2 and why there is so much buzz? Start here: Guild Wars 2 Mass Info for the Uninitiated

I am using Avast 4.1 Home Edition. I have tried running it ignoring any viral warnings (only the download from the GuildWars webiste though), that didn't help.

• frispfrisp Member UncommonPosts: 30

I am using Avast 4.1 Home Edition. I have tried running it ignoring any viral warnings (only the download from the GuildWars webiste though), that didn't help.

Try disabling it when you run the Gw2.exe file

regards

frisp

• OdseusOdseus Member UncommonPosts: 29

I just purchased gw2 through gamestop I got my key and it linked me off to the gw2 website to download the client.

Logged in and clicked Download Clients and off to the side it says No downloads available..

Awesome..

Glad I checked the forums for the beta client. Thank you much to who posted it!

• OdseusOdseus Member UncommonPosts: 29

or I could of read the damn email and not been in such a hurry..

Getting started thread... ugh oh well.

I got it.

• Scripture1Scripture1 Member UncommonPosts: 421

Well I'm at a loss here, I have done my download and it only asked me to "Run". It did not ask if I wanted to "Save or save as"

Now I go to extract the files but it does not require extraction because all I see is the client that says g2w. Once I click that it starts that major download. I tried to follow some advice from here but got frustrated.

Sorry if I'm not getting this and is re-asking the question but wth should i do?

• ThrennieThrennie Member UncommonPosts: 107

Originally posted by Scripture1

Well I'm at a loss here, I have done my download and it only asked me to "Run". It did not ask if I wanted to "Save or save as"

Now I go to extract the files but it does not require extraction because all I see is the client that says g2w. Once I click that it starts that major download. I tried to follow some advice from here but got frustrated.

Sorry if I'm not getting this and is re-asking the question but wth should i do?

You need to create a folder where you normally install your games by preference, then place that GW2.exe file in there. There's no proper installer at the moment but that will then download all the remaining files that you need to play the game.

It's a good idea to create a link to the GW2.exe and to put that on your desktop, to make it all easier to find.

• Scripture1Scripture1 Member UncommonPosts: 421

Originally posted by Thrennie

Originally posted by Scripture1

You need to create a folder where you normally install your games by preference, then place that GW2.exe file in there. There's no proper installer at the moment but that will then download all the remaining files that you need to play the game.

It's a good idea to create a link to the GW2.exe and to put that on your desktop, to make it all easier to find.

Ok I have had that folder for a while now. So in that folder at the moment I have Crash.dmp, Gw2.dat, Gw2 and Gw2.tmp

The one that says Gw2 has the logo on it and thats the only one i can click but it starts the download