Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

What women think about TERA female characters?

Comments

• IcewhiteIcewhite Member Posts: 6,403

A word of caution:

Frank Frazetta's art

occasionally depicts

the human form

devoid of coverings.

But thanks to Frank, his brother, Boris Vallejo, and a few other artists, fantasy art has maintained the same general style since at least the early 60s.

Hey, that's only fifty years.

Self-pity imprisons us in the walls of our own self-absorption. The whole world shrinks down to the size of our problem, and the more we dwell on it, the smaller we are and the larger the problem seems to grow.

• VicodinTacoVicodinTaco Member UncommonPosts: 804

The skankier the better in my opinion.  I really dig these babes in Tera.  Probably %20 of the reason I subbed.

Games seem to be slowly adopting the ability to chose what your toon's gear looks like which could work for everyone in a way.  When this is adopted fully if there's demand for dudes in banana hammocks then I'm sure it will be available.  Especially in the cash shop.

• BeansnBreadBeansnBread Member EpicPosts: 7,254

Originally posted by Kehdar

Ok guys can we decide the argument of this topic?

Because if the argument is Elin i can agree they are bad taste, I wont' scream they are for pedofiles / sicko's / maniacs because it's just stupid generalization, but i'll say they are bad taste in my book.

If we are talking about high elves, humans and castanics armors, isntead, there is space for discussion.

I'll say that I have been speaking specifically about the Elin. I'm surprised at the level of sexualization that is acceptable to be disturbing on what appears to be 8 year old girls.

When it comes to the other stuff, I find the "ass in the air" race to be distasteful, but I can see why people don't mind it and actually enjoy it. You know, adults.

I suppose my last gripe is that they are targeting 12 year olds. It is going to be rated for a 12 year old audience in the EU. That seems a bit young to be exposed to sexualized content of both males and females in such a blatant way. But that really is just an opinion. 

• BartDaCatBartDaCat Member UncommonPosts: 813

Originally posted by Sorrow

Originally posted by Suzie_Ford

Originally posted by FrostWyrm

Originally posted by Vocadi

Originally posted by NBlitz

I don't understand why this makes people rage. Well whatever, in ten years this will mean nothing or less than today.

Compare what women used to wear just 10-20-30-40-50 years ago.

Sure. Lets head off to battle in a corset...  Just plain ridiculous. I understand this is a fanstasy themed game but come on! Give me some hefty armor so that I have at least a visual semblance of protection.  

I wouldnt rage over this but merely roll my eyes.

Conan went into battle in just a loincloth and boots. Is it ok for him just because he's a man? Double standard much?

Actually, I think that's a great example of a company that friggin' gets it. I don't care if everyone is 1/2 clad, just that EVERYONE is 1/2 clad. No double standard. Let's see those manly asses.

lol Hell yea!! +1 more naked male chests and tight hard asses!!!

image  I second that!  I mean... Uh... er...

... image *sheepish grin*

• VocadiVocadi Member UncommonPosts: 205

Originally posted by jeeshadow

Originally posted by colddog04

I'm male so my opinion doesn't apply to your question, but I find that the level of acceptance for the sexualization of 8 year olds to be disturbing.

-This.

But then, now that i'm 40, I'm starting to see this in all facets of life.  Little pre-pubescent 11-12 year old girls are dressed up like NY prostitutes.  My brother has a 12 year old girl and he dies a little on the inside everytime she goes shopping.  For some reason, this generation of parents are either not capable or not willing to govern what their kids wear.  And the marketers are geared toward turning your daughter into a sex object at their earliest convenience.

Thank god i dont have a daughter!!

-But then what do I know, i'm old.

I agree. There does indeed seem to be a shift in what is socially acceptable for kids specifically girls to wear these days. I dont know how many times I have gone to the grocery store and seen things that cannot be unseen on 12 year old girls.

That the parents allow these clothes and have no issue with it...mind boggling. If I ever have a girl, I will feel sorry for her but yet, she will definitely be held to a different style standard than what the majority seems to adhere to.

• VikingGamerVikingGamer Member UncommonPosts: 1,350

Originally posted by just1opinion

Originally posted by VikingGamer

Originally posted by just1opinion

No, that's just YOU being sexist.  Of COURSE you like boobs hanging out all over the place, you're a man.  If we insisted that in our games men's penises would be swingin' in the wind all the time, I bet you'd not want to play that game.  You wouldn't want to look at male character's dicks.  So who's being hypocritical?  What's good for one is good for all?  No, it doesn't work that way.  Women just get exploited.

And the highlighted statement isn't at all sexist itself is it?

You might also want to take a look at the Castanic and High Elf men. They have a number of armor models that show them bare chested with their unrealistically ripped abs. I would post an example but it makes me feel so used and exploited.

Good, I'm glad.  I don't want to see it any way.  I don't like men in that way, so....doesn't bother me.  And yes, my comment about men was sexist, and mostly accurate, thank you for noticing.

You assumed I was straight due to my comment about the male anatomy.  I'm not.  I have a lot of respect for women and don't think it's necessary for them to be paraded about naked to see their real beauty.  I also don't think seeing women naked in a GAME is the best place for that lovely vision.  A game is a game and played by people of all ages including children who do not need yet ONE MORE PLACE to see women as only sexual objects.

To me it's a matter of respect, not prudishness.  There is a time and place where naked is GREAT!  However, I don't believe that is in a game, particularly one played by a broad demographic.

Why do you assume that I assume anything or even care about your sexuality? All I was pointing out was that the men are also being exploited here for their looks. How is that supposed to make me feel when I don't have a similar 6 pack to show off at the beach? Well, the truth is I don't really care about that either. I am just pointing out that men are being just as unrealistically displayed as women here so the sexism card doesnt really play. Sexual obsession perhaps but not sexism. I am not saying it is right. What I am saying is that it is a broader subject than sexism.

As for the demographic, the game is rateed M for mature in the US. I don't know how it rates in Europe, if they are marketing it to kids over there then take it up with Frogster.

All die, so die well.

• austriacusaustriacus Member UncommonPosts: 618

Originally posted by NBlitz

Originally posted by Xerith

Aside from the fact that i was starting to worry about the lack of GW2 references in a post not about GW2.

You may want to point out how the following armor is different from the one in Tera? 

And while you are at it, you may want to explain also why some days ago i was reading a post where a lot of GW2 fans were giggling about the female norns, quoting, "big buttery boobs" and no one found this offensive.

Western developer = free pass.

While im completely fine with the naked chicks and lil girls who i think are more cute than sexy, theres a big difference in GW2, and that is the fact that you can have the option to be naked or completely covered, there are examples over the internet of female armor that covers the body completely, in fact they are they majority.

• MangaMaidenMangaMaiden Member Posts: 180

People are still on about this? o.0 This is my opinon as a female gamer...

I don't really care how much covers my character, if I wanted realism I would go outside in the real world and possibly cause some sort of havoc. This being a fantasy game, I can kick arse in very high heels and not care! I think some people have a problem with armor as they are worried what others think when they see their character.

Oh and on the topic of the Elin... I didn't think of them as children as they are supposed to be over 400 years old. But what I found funny was when the armor of the Elin was changed for westerners.. they looked more like children... as they were dressed as them.

Cheers XD

• FrostWyrmFrostWyrm Member Posts: 1,036

Originally posted by Drekker17

Originally posted by Dahkot72

Thankfully my wife is amused and not offended by such , and someone who understands fantasy games overall.

I find this usually explains most of the types who get upset or offended over this sort of thing.

[mod edit]

I think this poster is weird, I mean she says Women are not for Decoration...well then they wouldn't be wearing anything.

Sexism is trying to take away a woman's right to choose how she dresses.

Sexism is disregarding a woman's individuality by implying that she represents the gender as a whole.

Jealousy and closed-mindedness breed sexism.

• BartDaCatBartDaCat Member UncommonPosts: 813

Originally posted by Kyleran

Originally posted by JeroKane

Don't.

Get.

Me.

Started.

Heh... I think most of the female gamers (my gf included) absolute loathe this game.

TERA is receiving quite some bad press regarding this.... it's also receiving a lot of heat regarding the female child race.

Aion also received a lot of hate back then, but TERA is far worse.

And yet, in my guild we probably have more female players than most out there, and none of them seem to hacked off by the female avatars. I've met a few playing Elin, and a number playing the "less dressed" races like Elves and whatever, and manage to deal just fine with it.

Your GF must just be weird. image

The females in my RIFT guild are trying to sway me to play TERA with them.  They LIKE the look of the game.  Go figure... *shrug*

• KehdarKehdar Member UncommonPosts: 441

Actually, I think that's a great example of a company that friggin' gets it. I don't care if everyone is 1/2 clad, just that EVERYONE is 1/2 clad. No double standard. Let's see those manly asses.

Well this isn't double standard, you have to aim to the shiny parts as well:

And for the people complaining about normal armor, let's take a look at some high level human armor:

And then, since It's the eastern influence that's bringing this level of dacay on the western market, let's think at one of the first example of sexualization in video game, does the name Lara Croft ring a bell?

Originally posted by austriacus

While im completely fine with the naked chicks and lil girls who i think are more cute than sexy, theres a big difference in GW2, and that is the fact that you can have the option to be naked or completely covered, there are examples over the internet of female armor that covers the body completely, in fact they are they majority.

Take a look at my post just above this one.

Just another example:

And let's take into consideration that in Tera you can change the aspect of any armor with the one you like. So no, just no, the excuse i can't dress as i like doens't apply.

There are double standards here between games, and i'll tell you more one of the first game to use weird dress that didn't look like armors at all was GW1. The fact that the graphic back then was less realistic doesn't change the costume design.

• Laughing-manLaughing-man Member RarePosts: 3,654

I have 3 female friends playing TERA, they LOVE the look of their toons, all 3 rolled Castinic Females.

Well this isn't double standard:

And for the people complaining about normal armor, let's take a look at some high level human armor:

And then, since It's the eastern influence that's bringing this level of dacay on the western market, let's think at one of the first example of sexualization in video game, does the name Lara Croft ring a bell?

Where is the man ass? I can clearly see my Castanic female ass at all times. The clothes are even designed so that the top part flows around the ass. Can you please post a pic of bare man ass? Preferably very thin underwear so I can clearly see the crack through it.

• EmwynEmwyn Member Posts: 546

Originally posted by Icewhite

A word of caution:

Frank Frazetta's art

occasionally depicts

the human form

devoid of coverings.

But thanks to Frank, his brother, Boris Vallejo, and a few other artists, fantasy art has maintained the same general style since at least the early 60s.

Hey, that's only fifty years.

I get what you are saying. I don't disagree. I have a collection of art deco and art nouveau art and architectural pieces in my house. There are two large chrome greek goddess door plates on either side of my fireplace. Both of them have one bare breast at least, one may well have both bare I can't recall and it's in the other room :P They are beautiful and unique and I have no qualms about having these in my house as well as other bits of art. My husband and 3 sons I don't think could tell you if they were dressed or not. They don't stare at them 24/7 and I couldn't even tell you if they even realise they are there to be honest :P I love art, I think art is great. But I do think there is a different between tasteful and distasteful art. And yes I do have a problem with the race of small children in this game, I think it's unhealthy especially in view of the increased sexualisation of children in the real world such as that stupid show Toddlers and Tiara's I don't know what it's called there. It happens in real life sadly and I think for a game aimed at 12 year olds it's stupid to include such models. Cover up the little girls, put them in kids clothes, hell put them in bunny suits, just not armour that looks like women's nighties (though from the screens I've seen they have more clothes then the Korean version thankfully). Not playing the game myself but the OP did ask what women thought and this is my opinion right or wrong.

the poster formerly known as melangel :P

• Laughing-manLaughing-man Member RarePosts: 3,654

Where is the man ass? I can clearly see my Castanic female ass at all times. The clothes are even designed so that the top part flows around the ass. Can you please post a pic of bare man ass? Preferably very thin underwear so I can clearly see the crack through it.

See from what I know of women, which is not a whole lot I admit, they mostly like men's fronts and muscles and such, I've never met an "ass" woman, I'm SURE they exist, just I've never personally met one.

Perhaps the game makers are trying to entertain the larger group of women who like to see bare chested smokin hot demon flesh?   I mean look you can see his "V" for his crotch, isn't that sexy?

• SorrowSorrow Member Posts: 1,195

Well this isn't double standard:

Rofl well it has to have at least the physics of realism, as we sadly know most men have HORRIBLE asses. My hubby's ass is so flat it's a wonder he can even keep his pants up.

Originally posted by Laughing-man

See from what I know of women, which is not a whole lot I admit, they mostly like men's fronts and muscles and such, I've never met an "ass" woman, I'm SURE they exist, just I've never personally met one.

Perhaps the game makers are trying to entertain the larger group of women who like to see bare chested smokin hot demon flesh?   I mean look you can see his "V" for his crotch, isn't that sexy?

What... you've never heard a woman go, "nice ass?"

What planet are you from?

• SorrowSorrow Member Posts: 1,195

Originally posted by Laughing-man

OMG this thread has become so funny.. I know I've said it to men, sadly most of the men with nice asses turn out to be gay go figure..

• austriacusaustriacus Member UncommonPosts: 618

Originally posted by austriacus

Take a look at my post just above this one.

I know there are examples of armors that are far more acceptable to the general populace, but the beggining armors(which are the only ones people care about) are completely sexy for all races

This is childish, then what? If the castanic female as 75% of his skin exposed and the male has 74% will you ask for the 1%?

Anyway i'm asking you, why you aren't rising the same fuss over GW2 armors?

Why no one was in rage mode for wow night elves (if not some female organization)?

Why no one armed himself with torches and pitchforks for Lara Croft?

• SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129

Originally posted by Sorrow

OMG this thread has become so funny.. I know I've said it to men, sadly most of the men with nice asses turn out to be gay go figure..

OMG...I just spit out 1/2 a mouthful of water. LOL! So very true. :)

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

This is childish, then what? If the castanic female as 75% of his skin exposed and the male has 74% will you ask for the 1%?

Anyway i'm asking you, why you aren't rising the same fuss over GW2 armors?

Why no one was in rage mode for wow night elves (if not some female organization)?

Why no one armed himself with torches and pitchforks for Lara Croft?

It's not the % revealed. It's the sections that are revealed.

And how can you call wanting that childish when it is what we get when it is a female? I don't get you, man.

• RyukanRyukan Member UncommonPosts: 829

They really need a schlong slider because this guy's got nothing going on in the downstairs department.

Originally posted by Ryukan

Thery really need a schlong slider because this guy's got nothing going on in the downstairs department.

Someone did say that the females were the matriarchs. Maybe in more ways then one...

This discussion has been closed.