Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

GI JOE based swg style sandbox game wish?

creadoskcreadosk Member UncommonPosts: 12

I was just thinking the other day that an swg style GI Joe game could be pretty cool.  Think of all the different skill trees based on the classic characters from both sides.  The war and base assaults could be there for pvp etc.  So many bland mmo's atm I thought this would be a cool idea. But I think the sandbox days are dying sadly.

Comments

• AbdullaDooAbdullaDoo Member Posts: 60

If they implemented well-designed air, sea, and mechanized ground combat, I'd be all over that.

Chances are though that whoever had the rights to it would phone it in (probably with an overpriced voice-over budget) and slap the GI JOE name on it, in which case, no thanks.

I do have trouble imagining how a sand-boxyish game involving GI JOE and COBRA would work long-term without being substantially PVP driven though, since by nature characters would presumably be tied closely to their faction and not playing "Sims in the City."  I also think the standard character class model might be a bit too restrictive.  Instead, maybe something a little more like Rift souls (with less diluted point allocation options each level though) that enables individual players to choose from a number of different combat, mech, or technical/support specializations.

• spookydomspookydom Member UncommonPosts: 1,782

I would like an entire skill tree based off kung-fu grip. Then I would approve.

• DauzqulDauzqul Member RarePosts: 1,982

I yearn for a GI Joe FPS.

• Graphics and sounds exactly like cartoon.

• Combat Crispness of CoD.

• Objectives, size, and vehicles of BF42

• Weapon Customization of Ghost Recon Online

• Ability to choose between 100 different characters or create my own.

• dave6660dave6660 Member UncommonPosts: 2,699

I would play a G.I. Joe mmo just for the nostalgia factor.  I was a huge fan as a kid.

Remember in cartoons from the '80's where there would be tons of laser fire and nobody ever got hit (except vehicles).  That would be perfect for todays mmorpg's.  Nobody ever loses!  Yay!

“There are certain queer times and occasions in this strange mixed affair we call life when a man takes this whole universe for a vast practical joke, though the wit thereof he but dimly discerns, and more than suspects that the joke is at nobody's expense but his own.”
    -- Herman Melville

• WhiteLanternWhiteLantern Member RarePosts: 3,309

Interestingly enough, I've given a lot of thought to a GIJoe MMO myself, and the only way I could come up with a decent way to do it was as a skill-based sandbox. The Cobra side of things was pretty easy for me to pen out because it's full of no-name soldier-types, it's the Joe side where everyone would probably want to be a "special-named character" instead of a grunt (not Grunt), is where it got tricky in my head.

I want a mmorpg where people have gone through misery, have gone through school stuff and actually have had sex even. -sagil

• ezduzitezduzit Member Posts: 112

Originally posted by AbdullaDoo

If they implemented well-designed air, sea, and mechanized ground combat, I'd be all over that.

Chances are though that whoever had the rights to it would phone it in (probably with an overpriced voice-over budget) and slap the GI JOE name on it, in which case, no thanks.

I do have trouble imagining how a sand-boxyish game involving GI JOE and COBRA would work long-term without being substantially PVP driven though, since by nature characters would presumably be tied closely to their faction and not playing "Sims in the City."  I also think the standard character class model might be a bit too restrictive.  Instead, maybe something a little more like Rift souls (with less diluted point allocation options each level though) that enables individual players to choose from a number of different combat, mech, or technical/support specializations.

You clearly have never played SWG.

• SythionSythion Member Posts: 422

Wow! You've done it! You've found the one IP that's a worse fit for a sandbox game than Starwars was.

Grats.

• DauzqulDauzqul Member RarePosts: 1,982

Originally posted by Sythion

Wow! You've done it! You've found the one IP that's a worse fit for a sandbox game than Starwars was.

Grats.

Star Wars was a fantastic sandbox game. It's still the best and most memorable MMO I've ever played.

I pity those who never got to experience it before the "Force Sensitive" was enabled.

• madnosmadnos Member Posts: 84

They would have to nerf  Joe's " Kung Fu Grip "

• SythionSythion Member Posts: 422

Originally posted by mmoDAD

Star Wars was a fantastic sandbox game. It's still the best and most memorable MMO I've ever played.

I pity those who never got to experience it before the "Force Sensitive" was enabled.

Okay. I thought it sucked by to each their own. Regardless, it was a horrible use for an IP.

I mean, star wars media are not about sandboxing at all.

• kanezfankanezfan Member UncommonPosts: 482

I would like SOE to take the original SWG, strip the Star Wars out of it, and maybe ad a real way to jump and optimize it better. Call it whatever you want. Make it F2P too, I think it would have a healthy population and many of the old school SWG players would play it.

• L0C0ManL0C0Man Member UncommonPosts: 1,065

I do think that star wars would work as a sandbox, as long as it isn't centered on the main chars (like in the movies) but on the random people you see around on the movies. It's a big enough universe for that, and also with enough "character" that it works.

However, I don't really see how GI Joe could work as a sandbox at all. It could have sandbox elements, like open skill progression and full PvP, but the whole idea of both GI Joe and COBRA is about being a military (or paramilitary) organization, with specific and strict chain of command.

As far as I understand, a sanbox is all about freedom of choice, doing whatever you want in the world, going wherever you want (and of course, facing the consequences). I don't see how would that work if you're supposed to be a member of a military organization where you're supposed to be following orders and doing the missions (quests?) the higher ups assign to you. In any case, I'd think a PvP heavy themepark (maybe with sandbox elements) would be better suited for the GI Joe franchise.

The only way I'd see a sandbox working in it would be if it's set in the world of GI Joe, but not centered around it, as in, giving you a chance to be GI Joe or Cobra members, or maybe weapons dealers, or mercenaries that work for either one and so on, but since it's basically set in the real world it would be hard to make it "unique" enough that way, IMHO.

What can men do against such reckless hate?

• s1fu71s1fu71 Member Posts: 220

I would definitely be interested. Cobra, all the way.

But, hey...Knowing is half the battle....

It's not about fighting, it's about balance. It's not about enlightenment, it's about balance. It's not about balance.

• dave6660dave6660 Member UncommonPosts: 2,699

It's been a while and my G.I. Joe trivia skills are rusty.  Is the character in the bottom left corner Leatherneck?  And the guy to his right I have no idea who he is...

“There are certain queer times and occasions in this strange mixed affair we call life when a man takes this whole universe for a vast practical joke, though the wit thereof he but dimly discerns, and more than suspects that the joke is at nobody's expense but his own.”
    -- Herman Melville

• ShakyMoShakyMo Member CommonPosts: 7,207

whos GI Joe?

is it some american only thing?

Originally posted by dave6660

It's been a while and my G.I. Joe trivia skills are rusty.  Is the character in the bottom left corner Leatherneck?  And the guy to his right I have no idea who he is...

Dialtone, I believe.

I want a mmorpg where people have gone through misery, have gone through school stuff and actually have had sex even. -sagil

p.s mmo dad, I see you edited that pic i put up, nice one

Originally posted by ShakyMo

whos GI Joe?

Action man.

Originally posted by WhiteLantern

whos GI Joe?

Action man.

ah right, won't that just be for kids then?  dont think ive seen an action man since i was like 8

whos GI Joe?

Action man.

ah right, won't that just be for kids then?  dont think ive seen an action man since i was like 8

Depends on the nostalgia factor. I'm almost 37 and have added a few Joes to my collection this year. One just last week as a matter of fact. I still look forward to the new releases of figures to see what is available.

whos GI Joe?

Action man.

Depends on the nostalgia factor. I'm almost 37 and have added a few Joes to my collection this year. One just last week as a matter of fact. I still look forward to the new releases of figures to see what is available.

I think perhaps this was a bigger thing in the states, it might not have worldwide appeal

• skeaserskeaser Member RarePosts: 4,180

Originally posted by kanezfan

I would like SOE to take the original SWG, strip the Star Wars out of it, and maybe ad a real way to jump and optimize it better. Call it whatever you want. Make it F2P too, I think it would have a healthy population and many of the old school SWG players would play it.

Galactic Conflict Universe!

Play as the Criminal Hunter or the Dancer!

Explore Daboo, Roth and Pantooiene!

Pilot an Assualt Cross Wing spaceship!

Be a nerg herder!

AND MORE!

Sig so that badges don't eat my posts.

• SuraknarSuraknar Member UncommonPosts: 852

This is a cool idea for a setting :)

Yet it implies Factions because in GI Joe there are factions.

Maybe an RvR-Sandbox Hybrid?

- Duke Suraknar -
    Order of the Silver Star, OSS

ESKA, Playing MMORPG's since Ultima Online 1997 - Order of the Silver Serpent, Atlantic Shard

/snip a bunch

I think perhaps this was a bigger thing in the states, it might not have worldwide appeal

Possibly. I know there is a Canada Joecon and I think one in Brazil as well, not real sure. There's a really good Joe Blog here, if you want to see what's up. A new movie coming out in June as well. I just hope it isn't as cheesy as the last one.

• AxehiltAxehilt Member RarePosts: 10,504

Originally posted by Sythion

Grats.

Yup.

Finally a game where I can plant crops, create pottery, and have a dance-off with all my favorite GI Joe characters!  Because that's what GI Joe was about!

"What is truly revealing is his implication that believing something to be true is the same as it being true. [continue]" -John Oliver