Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Want to play in the next beta? Pre-Purchase Guild Wars 2 now!

Comments

• evolver1972evolver1972 Member Posts: 1,118

Originally posted by EduardoASG

Well, believe it or not, thats the subject of the email beeing sent by NCSoft/Arenanet to people who did sign up as beeing interested in checking their upcoming title Guild Wars 2.

Let me tell you something,

IF i was thinking on buying this game, after receiving this email, i am PRETTY SURE i wont :)

Believe it or not, you signed up to recieve emails from ArenaNet.  So why would you be upset about them sending you an email advertisement?  That's what companies do!  They want your business, so if they have a new product coming out, they want you to buy it.  Signing up for their newsletters is a good way to tell them you want them to advertise to you.

So, if you don't want companies advertising to you through email, don't sign up for anything from them.

You want me to pay to play a game I already paid for???

Be afraid.....The dragons are HERE!

• AmjocoAmjoco Member UncommonPosts: 4,860

Originally posted by Thane

Originally posted by Lexin

Deleted as soon as I seen it. Seems beta's have turned into pre-order extra and not what they are meant for which is looking for bugs and glitches.

you seriously think those trolls in here would look for bugs and glitches?

there ARE real betas. but most random trolls dont get into it since non of them ever filed a bug report.

most acually tend to gather bugs, spread em among their mates and then be happy they are so much ahead and cool.

devs noticed they need real testers, not cheaters.

for every action there is a cause.

Agreed! This is another reason I would rather have pre-purchase beta testers. They are more dedicated to help fix bugs than the generic beta tester.  You are basically helping to build your hobby by helping fix bugs.

Death is nothing to us, since when we are, Death has not come, and when death has come, we are not.

• EruielEruiel Member UncommonPosts: 75

It's all a matter of opinion, people who weren't inclined to purchase the game from the get-go for whatever reason, didn't need this to put them off...but this is a good excuse as any.

Personally I don't think it's wrong for game companies to do this, the pre-order system was never meant to be used the way most people see it "I'm going to pre-order, try out the game THEN cancel it", what GW2 did was guarantee a sale on people who were truly interested...for those who are undecided, there will certainly be a open BETA nearer to release, chaffing at the company for not letting players abuse the "pre-order" system doesn't make sense because it was never meant to let people "cheat" for a "closed" beta access.

• DistopiaDistopia Member EpicPosts: 21,183

Originally posted by joocheese

Originally posted by Distopia

Originally posted by SteeJanz

I am sure this has already been covered, but did the OP really just create a post complaining about getting a email from a company that he/she suscribed to. 

Looks to me like it's the content of that E-mail that bugs him. But don't let that stop you guys from tearing down another persons opinion.

So we can't comment on other people's opinions on public forums?

There is a difference between commenting on an opinion, and tearing a person and their opinions down, I'm seeing more of the latter in this thread.

For every minute you are angry , you lose 60 seconds of happiness."-Emerson

• wrightstufwrightstuf Member UncommonPosts: 659

Its a sign of the times. The days of being invited to beta test games are long gone. At least for the AAA titles forthcoming.

You people who pre purchase, and i'm guilty too, need to remember that you brought it on yourselves. You can see the trend. A few years back, it was unheard of to pre order/purchase for beta rights. Then pre order for it started. Now Anet has upped the bar to pre purchase only gives it. Its like they have tested to waters to see just how far they can go with it.

What Anet, and believe me, all other game devs are watching this close, have discovered is that they can charge full price for a game with no release date. What's next? Taking pre purchases along with the announcement that a new title is in development with beta maybe years away?

• ElsaboltsElsabolts Member RarePosts: 3,476

I wonder, Could they have so many pre-purchases that there may now be a server problem with so many folks trying to download and or log into the Beta this weekend?

" Life Liberty and the Pursuit of Those Who  Would Threaten It "
                                            MAGA

Originally posted by just1opinion

Dude, I pre-purchased TWO copies and I'm still getting that email.  It's no big deal.  Just ignore it if it bothers you so much.

It's no big deal to you... If something like this is going to determine whether he purchases a game or not, I'd say it is a big deal to him. I'd say more sound advice would be those who have a problem with that, should just ignore this thread. If you don't support a companies practices, that's a perfectly sound reason to not want to support the product they offer.

I would agree with your statement, Distopia, except for one thing:  When you sign up for anything from a company, (newsletter, etc.) most reasonable people realize that puts them on the advertisement list for that company.  So, having signed up for the newsletter, why would you be surprised they sent you an advertisement?  Every company does this without exception so I don't see why it would be surprising to anyone.

• BartDaCatBartDaCat Member UncommonPosts: 813

Originally posted by Nadia

personally im a fan of gw2, did not prepurchase, did signup for the beta

I got the same email as the op did

I took no offense because Ive seen this in the past w Age of Conan and Warhammer and other mmos

its business as usual

8 years ago, I paid to get into World of Warcraft beta because I got tired of waiting to be selected for beta

its historical - pay for guaranteed beta access or try to get into beta in other ways (fansite promotions, conventions)

Same here, Nadia.  I only signed up for the beta, not a newsletter, but I got the same e-mail as well.  In fact, I've received several.

I think the thing that rubbed people the wrong way was the "carrot-on-a-stick" approach to offering a "Guaranteed Spot", but you're right-- this IS busniess as usual, and we've seen it done for other games as well, at least on community sites like MMORPG.com and game seller websites like GameStop.com...

BUT...

I can honestly say that this is the first time I've been repeatedly spammed (Yes, multiple e-mails) with sales promotions "guaranteeing" me a spot in the beta events if I pre-purchase, merely because they have my e-mail address from my beta sign-up.

The die-hard fans and "Marketing Experts" can froth at the mouth and pull their hair while defending these "marketing tactics" all they want, but that doesn't change the fact that ArenaNet's promotional campaign is getting a little out of hand.

• DerpybirdDerpybird Member Posts: 991

Originally posted by wrightstuf

What Anet, and believe me, all other game devs are watching this close, have discovered is that they can charge full price for a game with no release date. What's next? Taking pre purchases along with the announcement that a new title is in development with beta maybe years away?

That is already happening with crowd source funding a la Kickstarter.

"Loading screens" are not "instances".
    Your personal efforts to troll any game will not, in fact, impact the success or failure of said game.

Originally posted by evolver1972

Believe it or not, you signed up to recieve emails from ArenaNet. 

I don't know about you but I signed up for Beta, not a newsletter. Big difference. Not to be snarky, I'm just sayin is all..

I don't know about you but I signed up for Beta, not a newsletter. Big difference. Not to be snarky, I'm just sayin is all..

When you signed up for Beta, you were also signing up to recieve emails from them.  Whenever you give a company your email address, you are telling them it's ok for them to send you emails, including advertisements.

Originally posted by Charlizzard

I have no problem with that if it helps fans get games they want to see. Just like I have no problem with those who want to support a company through the act of pre-purchasing. I do have a problem with Beta/sale/marketing tie-ins. It's not a deal breaker by any means for me, but I view it as an ugly practice. Always have.

• Mythios11Mythios11 Member Posts: 129

When you signed up for Beta, you were also signing up to recieve emails from them.  Whenever you give a company your email address, you are telling them it's ok for them to send you emails, including advertisements.

It seems like most people missed the point of the OP's thread.   He's not angry about receiving an email about the beta, he believes that ANet forcing people to pre-purchase (not pre-order) the game in order to participate in the beta is BS.

Seemed pretty clear to me but apparently the GW2 fanbois are on high alert this week.

Typically when you sign up there's a checkbox to select if you want to opt into game related news, didn't see that on the beta reg. page.

• DerpybirdDerpybird Member Posts: 991

I have no problem with that if it helps fans get games they want to see. Just like I have no problem with those who want to support a company through the act of pre-purchasing. I do have a problem with Beta/sale/marketing tie-ins. It's not a deal breaker by any means for me, but I view it as an ugly practice. Always have.

I agree. GW2 isn't the first company to do it, but it is one of them. Yet consumers seem to be more than willing to pay for both beta access and early access, which just means that the practice will become ever more widespread.

With regard to GW2 specifically, I know what I am buying. But I bet if it were a different game or a product that I was not so familiar with, I'm sure that I'd be upset that the only way that I could see it is if I had to pony up the full amount. In those cases, I'd wait until release and assess it then.

"Loading screens" are not "instances".
    Your personal efforts to troll any game will not, in fact, impact the success or failure of said game.

• BartDaCatBartDaCat Member UncommonPosts: 813

We've all got some great gifts to give you, all you have to do is post a legitimate e-mail address here for us, and we'll be sure to get right back to you with our surprise.

P.S.  Don't be surprised in the interim if you receive a lot of unpleasant stuff from us that you didn't really want.

• WickedjellyWickedjelly Member Posts: 4,990

Originally posted by Mythios11

Seemed pretty clear to me but apparently the GW2 fanbois are on high alert this week.

Nah, he was baiting. So not like he's innocant in the whole affair. But the fact remains  the e-mail was worded poorly and probably isn't going to be well received by some that signed up for beta.

So while he certainly didn't have the purest of intentions he brings up a good point.

...and yes.  These fanboys are going to get amusing as hell the closer this game gets to launch.

1. For god's sake mmo gamers, enough with the analogies. They're unnecessary and your comparisons are terrible, dissimilar, and illogical.

2. To posters feeling the need to state how f2p really isn't f2p: Players understand the concept. You aren't privy to some secret the rest are missing. You're embarrassing yourself.

3. Yes, Cpt. Obvious, we're not industry experts. Now run along and let the big people use the forums for their purpose.

• just1opinionjust1opinion Member UncommonPosts: 4,641

Dude, I pre-purchased TWO copies and I'm still getting that email.  It's no big deal.  Just ignore it if it bothers you so much.

It's no big deal to you... If something like this is going to determine whether he purchases a game or not, I'd say it is a big deal to him. I'd say more sound advice would be those who have a problem with that, should just ignore this thread. If you don't support a companies practices, that's a perfectly sound reason to not want to support the product they offer.

I would agree with your statement, Distopia, except for one thing:  When you sign up for anything from a company, (newsletter, etc.) most reasonable people realize that puts them on the advertisement list for that company.  So, having signed up for the newsletter, why would you be surprised they sent you an advertisement?  Every company does this without exception so I don't see why it would be surprising to anyone.

EXACTLY.  People will just bitch about anything.

President of The Marvelously Meowhead Fan Club

• WickedjellyWickedjelly Member Posts: 4,990

EXACTLY.

Where are you guys getting this from? I almost always have separate options made that I can choose to get their newsletter, ads for other products, etc. I'm not even really bothered by them myself but saying you're "always automatically" signed up for these things is not even close to being true.

1. For god's sake mmo gamers, enough with the analogies. They're unnecessary and your comparisons are terrible, dissimilar, and illogical.

2. To posters feeling the need to state how f2p really isn't f2p: Players understand the concept. You aren't privy to some secret the rest are missing. You're embarrassing yourself.

3. Yes, Cpt. Obvious, we're not industry experts. Now run along and let the big people use the forums for their purpose.

Typically when you sign up there's a checkbox to select if you want to opt into game related news, didn't see that on the beta reg. page.

And you still registered?  The way I see it, if it's so important to you that you don't receive advertisements from a company, don't give them your email address unless you can opt out.

• SteeJanzSteeJanz Member UncommonPosts: 334

I am sure this has already been covered, but did the OP really just create a post complaining about getting a email from a company that he/she suscribed to. 

Looks to me like it's the content of that E-mail that bugs him. But don't let that stop you guys from tearing down another persons opinion.

You really should work on your over-sensitivity.  No one was tearing down anyone.  Please list the things in the email that do not fit  the subject matter of a Newletter.  I find your response to this post to be ignorant with assumptions but it at least fits in the context of a forum.

I agree. GW2 isn't the first company to do it, but it is one of them. Yet consumers seem to be more than willing to pay for both beta access and early access, which just means that the practice will become ever more widespread.

With regard to GW2 specifically, I know what I am buying. But I bet if it were a different game or a product that I was not so familiar with, I'm sure that I'd be upset that the only way that I could see it is if I had to pony up the full amount. In those cases, I'd wait until release and assess it then.

This is very true, it's not something I feel benefits us as gamers by any means. It's all about generating income early on which strengthens investor confidence. Which is also tied into the "rush" marketing Bioware did and now Anet have been using to urge those early pre-orders, as you don't want to miss out (like they will actually halt digital sales). I'm sure we'll see most companies pulling that from here on out.

• LuxthorLuxthor Member Posts: 171

Well, even bumping this thread is kind of marketing act for pre-purchase GW2. ;) *sigh*

---
    "I'm sorry Dave, I'm afraid I can't do that."

• cmoore52290cmoore52290 Member Posts: 3

Originally posted by Banisco

This is just getting crazy, NO ONE is forcing you to pay for the beta, nor they are cheating people in order to sell more, the beta acces is just a reward to those who trust the company and want to prepurchase the game. Easy as that.

Well Said

You really should work on your over-sensitivity.  No one was tearing down anyone.  Please list the things in the email that the subject matter of a Newletter.  I find your response to this post on to ignorant with assumptions but it at least fits in the context of a forum.

I was referring to everyone who called the OP a troll, rather than just accept his opinion about that e-mail.