Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Want to play in the next beta? Pre-Purchase Guild Wars 2 now!

Comments

• SircaSirca Member UncommonPosts: 110

Originally posted by joocheese

Originally posted by Amjoco

Originally posted by Omnifish

I take it you ignored the rest of what I wrote then? Nevermind..

Look, if you want to pay that for beta access to a game with no release date, by all means go for it.  I'm sure ANET will be pleased with you.

I shall be pleased with myself! I'm going to have fun this weekend and $60 is a small amount for me to fork out. I did read the rest of your post but highlited the part that seems to me the most important. People are making such a huge deal out of nothing, it's a game.

Again! You people don't understand that you are not paying for beta or for the 3 day access prior to release. You are in fact paying for the game, which happens to come with those advantages. Blizzard is doing something similar (the reverse) with their annual pass which includes D3. As opposed to just buying GW2 with advantages (beta, 3 day prior access), with D3, you are paying for 1 year of WOW subs and getting D3 as a bonus.

I perfectly understand that I am being asked to pay the full price in order to TEST a product/GW2.

I am aware this is common practice now yet I don't see why I should be forced to stick to such "policy" when technically it should not be a problem to provide potential customers with a mean to test it out (lvl boundary or whatever).

Now if it suits you to be a sheep and follow the mass, your call...

• mmoseller888mmoseller888 Member Posts: 30
    plenty of us will pay to play beta, better do it legit way than go to some private site and get scammed.
  • DerpybirdDerpybird Member Posts: 991

Again! You people don't understand that you are not paying for beta or for the 3 day access prior to release. You are in fact paying for the game, which happens to come with those advantages. Blizzard is doing something similar (the reverse) with their annual pass which includes D3. As opposed to just buying GW2 with advantages (beta, 3 day prior access), with D3, you are paying for 1 year of WOW subs and getting D3 as a bonus.

Those folks that bought the yearly pass also got access to the MoP beta. Sure, there were some opt-ins that were selected, but the 1.2 million people who got locked in to a $150 contract were the only ones to get "guaranteed" access. AND there is no release date for MoP. Yes, people can argue that they were going to play anyway, but this contract has enabled them to keep the same 8 boss raid content for at least 8 months. How fun is that?

I do get there is a difference between what is becoming standard industry practice and what we think is "right". Ideally, companies wouldn't be offering beta access as an incentive to fork out box price or do a contract. And I suppose if people expressed their displeasure with their wallets the practice would stop. But they don't, folks just go along with it. So I imagine that this is going to simply become the industry standard over time. Now personally, I don't mind buying GW2 because I know what I've bought, but I appreciate that other folks would like to try before the commit.

"Loading screens" are not "instances".
    Your personal efforts to troll any game will not, in fact, impact the success or failure of said game.

• joocheesejoocheese Member Posts: 845

Originally posted by Sirca

I perfectly understand that I am being asked to pay the full price in order to TEST a product/GW2.

I am aware this is common practice now yet I don't see why I should be forced to stick to such "policy" when technically it should not be a problem to provide potential customers with a mean to test it out (lvl boundary or whatever).

Now if it suits you to be a sheep and follow the mass, your call...

You're paying the full price of WHAT in order to test a product/gw2?? You say you perfectly understand but I don't you actually do. If you're paying for the beta, will you have to pay for the game itself when its released?

How many companies can you name which charge you just for the beta? Please tell me how you are being forced to pre purchase GW2?

Anet did provide a mean for potential customers to test the product. They allowed people to sign up for the beta, just couldn't guarantee that everyone would have access to the beta. Anet also attended many gaming forums, allowing hundreds of potential customers to try out the game for free.

I pre purchased the game less than 1 hour after it was available. I did not per purchased the game due to peer pressure, I bought it because I'm excited and because I wanted to buy the game and have access to the beta.

• DistopiaDistopia Member EpicPosts: 21,183

Originally posted by aesperus

Good advice.

Honestly I think a lot of the fence sitters (more the skeptics really), need to just stop following this game. I know it's hard when there's always a GW2 discussion on the front page, but I think it'll do them some good. If they are legitimately interested in the game, it'll give them time to stop focusing on tearing up apart GW2 arguments, and a chance to come back to a place of indifference.

Being that 'neutral observer' is probably the best thing someone who's on the fence can be towards this game. It'll give them the best chance of not ruining the experience for them, which will mean they will get an accurate depiction of whether or not the game is for them.

I'd say the exact opposite as it's certain people on the other side of the fence who just seem unable to accept differing opinions, and get far too defensive about anything that isn't positive. It's those folks who could benefit from a bit of "time off" and it's those folks who need to become a bit more indifferent.

The complaint in question here is nothing new at all, it's been expressed (rather loudly) for many titles which have been sold in this manner. Hell it even popped up in the TOR forum, and they didn't even give pre-orders beta access.

I find it an ugly practice myself, but I don't feel the need to make a thread for every gripe I have. Now that I've said it that's enough for me.

For every minute you are angry , you lose 60 seconds of happiness."-Emerson

Originally posted by Charlizzard

Originally posted by Amjoco

Originally posted by Omnifish

I take it you ignored the rest of what I wrote then? Nevermind..

Look, if you want to pay that for beta access to a game with no release date, by all means go for it.  I'm sure ANET will be pleased with you.

I shall be pleased with myself! I'm going to have fun this weekend and $60 is a small amount for me to fork out. I did read the rest of your post but highlited the part that seems to me the most important. People are making such a huge deal out of nothing, it's a game.

Those folks that bought the yearly pass also got access to the MoP beta. Sure, there were some opt-ins that were selected, but the 1.2 million people who got locked in to a $150 contract were the only ones to get "guaranteed" access. AND there is no release date for MoP. Yes, people can argue that they were going to play anyway, but this contract has enabled them to keep the same 8 boss raid content for at least 8 months. How fun is that?

That's great!

• ThaneThane Member EpicPosts: 3,534

Originally posted by EduardoASG

Well, believe it or not, thats the subject of the email beeing sent by NCSoft/Arenanet to people who did sign up as beeing interested in checking their upcoming title Guild Wars 2.

Let me tell you something,

IF i was thinking on buying this game, after receiving this email, i am PRETTY SURE i wont :)

you love flaming GW2, aye?

i mean one post would have been enough, but hell, why stop there if you can start new threats!

good thing you won't be playing tho, no idea if there is a heavy need for trolls.

[PS / edit]

as said before:

i did NOT pay for beta. i did NOT pay for the early access.

i bought guild wars 2. i pre purchased it. and they gave me beta WE access and the headtstart for free with it.

i couldn't care less what you guys do, buy it or don't. you can buy it now, or when it's released, or a year after. whatever rocks your boat. i bought it now because i wanted into those weekends.

uh and here is the deal: i did not pay more than you will when you buy it on or after release :P

"I'll never grow up, never grow up, never grow up! Not me!"

Originally posted by Thane

Well, believe it or not, thats the subject of the email beeing sent by NCSoft/Arenanet to people who did sign up as beeing interested in checking their upcoming title Guild Wars 2.

IF i was thinking on buying this game, after receiving this email, i am PRETTY SURE i wont :)

you love flaming GW2, aye?

i mean one post would have been enough, but hell, why stop there if you can start new threats!

good thing you won't be playing tho, no idea if there is a heavy need for trolls.

Trolls will be trolls haha

• kevjardskevjards Member UncommonPosts: 1,452

got the e-mail earler myself and i have to say i,m suprised..it seems like more of a case of if you dont purchase you aint getting in the beta's..i,m not saying that is how Anet are doing this but thats how it comes across.personally i dont think there is any rush to purchase this game at all given the fact they have no release date set.

Also seen has a few million peeps will be logging in day 1 i have a feeling there might be a few crashes and such..gonna wait til a few days after release before purchase until peeps are kind of spread out instead of all being in the same place at the same time.

• SteeJanzSteeJanz Member UncommonPosts: 334

I am sure this has already been covered, but did the OP really just create a post complaining about getting a email from a company that he/she suscribed to.  This email was sent to those that subscibed to the Newsletter, which is intended to update people on News about the game.  No we could argue if the beta is worthy news or not but I think the best advice for the OP is to not signup for newsletters if he/she  is offended by news about the particular subject he/she signed up for.

Also, I can understand people having a problem buying a game early just to play a beta but can we just say that.  Trying to act like we hold other industries to a higher standard is overkill.  A car comparison.  Really?   Lets compare a $60.00 game to a $40,000 dollar car and then ask why we don't hold them to the same standard.  You guys don't have to like it but just say so, trying to make AreanaNet look like they are some evil company is basically nothing more than gossip.

Originally posted by SteeJanz

I am sure this has already been covered, but did the OP really just create a post complaining about getting a email from a company that he/she suscribed to. 

Looks to me like it's the content of that E-mail that bugs him. But don't let that stop you guys from tearing down another persons opinion.

• LuxthorLuxthor Member Posts: 171

1) you fanbois can defend it all you like.....its plain greed.....no other company asks you to pay for the beta.....not even de "big evil" blizzard.....this weekend you could play D3 for FREE also TERA gave us some love by letting us try it......this is just plain GREED, nothing more or less.

2) I think it is partly because the entertainment industry is the only industry that I am aware of (outside of things like food and perishable items) that if you buy it, and don't like it, you can't return it, and if it is an item that is unreturnable they usually have a way to try it out for yourselves.  Chevy spent over 10 years developing the Volt and I guarantee you it cost them a lot more money to do so, yet I can go try it out for myself.  Of course I'll see that I can wouldn't be able to make my commute round trip on one charge, so I wouldn't buy it, but at least I can check it out.  I know they are different industries, but if I were to go to best buy, walmart, target, etc, and buy any item other than a movie, cd, or game, I would be able to take it back, after opening it, if it wasn't working the way I thought it would or if I just didn't like it for any reason.  Why do we hold game companies to a lower standard?

1) Anet did not ask anyone to pay for the beta, they're charging for the game, which happens to include access to the beta. As for D3, its about time! D3 is going to be released in a couple weeks (23 days I believe), GW2 doesn't even have a release date yet and they're allowing people who pre purchased the game to have access to the beta. Find me one person whom Anet charged just for the beta and I'll conceed my point.

2) So... the companies that sell you food and perishable items are just as greedy and "evil" as gaming companies? (yikes!) There are various types of markets, each with their own advantages and disadvantages. If you don't like a certain market, then don't participate (you can grow your own food). If you don't approve of the current gaming business model then by all means, don't buy games! Simple as that. If enough people agree with you and refuse to buy games, the gaming industry will get the message and will most likely change their business model. As for the Chevy Volt (complete failure just like SWTOR), it is heavily subsidized by the US Government (thanks Obama!).

Red: Before rambling about how you are entitled to whatever the hell you want, have you stopped and considered that there might be a good reason why certain items cannot be returned? Just a thought.

Looks like you replayed to me, but that post is not mine, however, just to clear few things.

1. Whole thread is about Anet prostitute beta access to sell more games. Read the subject, it's the quote from Anet e-mail.

2. If you buy spoiled or damaged food you got refund, if you get poisoned with same food you get more than refund. Food is easy to test and consummation last short period of time (from mouth to toilet) ;). How can you even compare food with unfinished game without release date and still under NDA.

---
    "I'm sorry Dave, I'm afraid I can't do that."

• wrightstufwrightstuf Member UncommonPosts: 659

Originally posted by Nadia

Originally posted by Chrome1980

He is talking about general practise of paying for un finished game with no release date. To some it seems a silly practise.

Blizzards StarCraft2 had no release date and offered guaranteed beta to players who preordered

http://www.gamespot.com/news/starcraft-ii-beta-access-included-with-preorder-6259222

With a pre order, you can cancel. many people do just that after giving the beta a spin. you havent bought anything until release.

• DerpybirdDerpybird Member Posts: 991

Originally posted by Distopia

I am sure this has already been covered, but did the OP really just create a post complaining about getting a email from a company that he/she suscribed to. 

Looks to me like it's the content of that E-mail that bugs him. But don't let that stop you guys from tearing down another persons opinion.

I thought the email was a bit tacky as well and that it was probably confusing to people who pre-purchased, but then again I signed up on their website to receive information.

"Loading screens" are not "instances".
    Your personal efforts to troll any game will not, in fact, impact the success or failure of said game.

seriously guys, calm down.

you compare a part of the first act in diablo 3 with the beta that's ahead for GW2?

blizz never did a real open beta for diablo. and they didn't start with it for diablo 3 either.

of corz they aren't selling access to 2 hours gameplay ^^

as said MANY time before, this is what happens when people PRE ORDER to get into beta, and then maybe cancle this pre order again since they only payed 5 euro or dollar.

pre orders have never meant to be used that way. the devs want to make sure they can calculate the income abit better with the PRE PURCHASE thingie, and that's more than just legit imo.

as always, love it or leave it, but seriously... calm down ^^

• mmoseller888mmoseller888 Member Posts: 30

screw preorder, too many cheaters cancel their preorder after they got their beta keys, I done it before so I know.

Originally posted by mmoseller888

screw preorder, too many cheaters cancel their preorder after they got their beta keys, I done it before so I know.

at least one who understands :P

thank you, smart sir!

Originally posted by Charlizzard

I thought the email was a bit tacky as well and that it was probably confusing to people who pre-purchased, but then again I signed up on their website to receive information.

I signed up for beta, I really didn't know that meant I was also signing up for their newsletter.

• just1opinionjust1opinion Member UncommonPosts: 4,641

Dude, I pre-purchased TWO copies and I'm still getting that email.  It's no big deal.  Just ignore it if it bothers you so much.

Furthermore....you would not be GETTING email from ArenaNet if you hadn't signed up for the beta or in some other communication given them your email.  They didn't pull your email out of thin air.

President of The Marvelously Meowhead Fan Club

So we can't comment on other people's opinions on public forums?

• IPolygonIPolygon Member UncommonPosts: 707

Well, then don't prepurchase. Wait for the game until it hits the shelves. Your choice.

• WickedjellyWickedjelly Member Posts: 4,990

Not to mention how they're saying it is simply Anet providing players with informative news in their handy newsletter!

Because...you know...people that have signed up for the beta certainly aren't aware the game is available for pre-purchase and what comes with the game if you choose to do so. Especially if they aren't following them on facebook because then they've probably only been informed about this from Anet about half a dozen times compared to being informed about it every fucking day if you are.

1. For god's sake mmo gamers, enough with the analogies. They're unnecessary and your comparisons are terrible, dissimilar, and illogical.

2. To posters feeling the need to state how f2p really isn't f2p: Players understand the concept. You aren't privy to some secret the rest are missing. You're embarrassing yourself.

3. Yes, Cpt. Obvious, we're not industry experts. Now run along and let the big people use the forums for their purpose.

• LexinLexin Member UncommonPosts: 701

Deleted as soon as I seen it. Seems beta's have turned into pre-order extra and not what they are meant for which is looking for bugs and glitches.

Originally posted by just1opinion

Dude, I pre-purchased TWO copies and I'm still getting that email.  It's no big deal.  Just ignore it if it bothers you so much.

It's no big deal to you... If something like this is going to determine whether he purchases a game or not, I'd say it is a big deal to him. I'd say more sound advice would be those who have a problem with that, should just ignore this thread. If you don't support a companies practices, that's a perfectly sound reason to not want to support the product they offer.

Originally posted by Lexin

Deleted as soon as I seen it. Seems beta's have turned into pre-order extra and not what they are meant for which is looking for bugs and glitches.

you seriously think those trolls in here would look for bugs and glitches?

there ARE real betas. but most random trolls dont get into it since non of them ever filed a bug report.

most actually tend to gather bugs, spread em among their mates and then be happy they are so much ahead and cool.

devs noticed they need real testers, not cheaters.

for every action there is a cause.