Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Want to play in the next beta? Pre-Purchase Guild Wars 2 now!

Comments

• AmjocoAmjoco Member UncommonPosts: 4,860

Originally posted by Luxthor

Originally posted by Amjoco

Originally posted by EduardoASG

Well, believe it or not, thats the subject of the email beeing sent by NCSoft/Arenanet to people who did sign up as beeing interested in checking their upcoming title Guild Wars 2.

Let me tell you something,

IF i was thinking on buying this game, after receiving this email, i am PRETTY SURE i wont :)

Yes, its plain and simple GREED from NCsoft/Anet, more than one million peoples already subscribed for beta, and what about GW customers, for instance, I bought all chapters and expansions in CE edition, left money in NC store too, should players like me be eligible for beta invite?!

One thing is for sure, this Anet is NOT Anet from 2005.

I don't understand your skepticism. It seems like you want to play GW2. Just buy the game and you will get into the beta. It seems simple but I'm not you.  

Its not about skepticism, its about that e-mail I got from Anet, from my perspective as an old customer.

I'm still confused. Just buy the game and get in the beta. What does and email have to do with anything? From your history you seem to want to play...just buy the game and beta it up with us this weekend. 

Death is nothing to us, since when we are, Death has not come, and when death has come, we are not.

• chaintmchaintm Member UncommonPosts: 953

Eh, I am no hater or lover of the game as seen by my previous post, but stuff like this? makes me think of desperate need of sales. Sorry but if your game is so good, you could open beta it and prove it's worth. That's my thoughts on it, I get it when games do "early access" for pre-order, but beta access? Eh, yea it really is only a choice on words, but then this is an obvious ploy.

When I got this email as well, I just toss it and thought what I wrote above, I will wait and see on this title. So far that thought process is going down and down atm. I was checking out Tera thou, interesting, but no info on a cash shop and I think that has one, so meh. Guess no MMO for awhile.

edit; To follow the longer built internal postings in this thread, some of you don't get it, we where gw 1 players with all the additions, so when we get an email like this our thought initially is "really? I have to buy it? So I guess me being a dedicate fan previous = squat", so yea there is a bit of resentment to these type of emails from this as well. But in the end, let the game stand on it's own merit. So far, everything I have read and seen says "awsome solo game", eh MMO's for me are not about solo , but then most would argue it's an "Option" , well read the latest pc gamer article. The guy loves it , don't take me wrong, but in the end he even mentioned that the game does have it's faults and for a full weekend run, he never grouped nor felt the game offered incentive to do so. The system never really promotes grouping other then mass scale zerg fest.

I guess if that is your liking you will love this game, tis why I looked at tera, a bit more emphises on grouping and has classes and actual skill based combat (IE your ability to move around the screen and dodge like fps ) so sounds great, just nothing on that dam store!! This company so far is famous for farming stores with to much game changing crap.

"The monster created isn't by the company that makes the game, it's by the fans that make it something it never was"

• LuxthorLuxthor Member Posts: 171

Well, believe it or not, thats the subject of the email beeing sent by NCSoft/Arenanet to people who did sign up as beeing interested in checking their upcoming title Guild Wars 2.

IF i was thinking on buying this game, after receiving this email, i am PRETTY SURE i wont :)

Yes, its plain and simple GREED from NCsoft/Anet, more than one million peoples already subscribed for beta, and what about GW customers, for instance, I bought all chapters and expansions in CE edition, left money in NC store too, should players like me be eligible for beta invite?!

I don't understand your skepticism. It seems like you want to play GW2. Just buy the game and you will get into the beta. It seems simple but I'm not you.  

Its not about skepticism, its about that e-mail I got from Anet, from my perspective as an old customer.

I'm still confused. Just buy the game and get in the beta. What does and email have to do with anything? From your history you seem to want to play...just buy the game and beta it up with us this weekend. 

No man, I don't want to prostitute just because I'm curious. ;)

---
    "I'm sorry Dave, I'm afraid I can't do that."

Ok, well this is a forum for GW2. I'm not sure what kind of prostitutes you are use too. Good luck in all of your endeavors. 

Death is nothing to us, since when we are, Death has not come, and when death has come, we are not.

• BaniscoBanisco Member Posts: 240

(...)

This is just ridiculous, all they said with that email is that if you buy the game you get beta acces, is not that hard to understand, there are a lot of people who has been waiting for the game for years and would have prepurchased even if they didnt gave beta acces, the guaranteed beta acces is a reward for those who support the company before the game releases.

You and many others are just paranoid and blind who can only see the stuff they make on their heads rather than whats the reality.

Ok, well this is a forum for GW2. I'm not sure what kind of prostitutes you are use too. Good luck in all of your endeavors. 

Paying for beta invite is plain prostitution in my eyes, what if you don't like what you see there. Its just my opinion, no need to be rude.

---

• OmnifishOmnifish Member Posts: 616

Originally posted by kiiix

To all you overlyloveydoby fan boys go read something else!

To the rest, proceed:

I also got this email was like: Yes! I finally manage to get into the Beta :D But then i read on: if you pre-order…

Personally I think this is a stupid move on their part. A beta period is a test phase! And using all the hype surrounding the game to get people to pre-purchase it, is just plane stupid and not to speak of greedy.  

Why should we pay full freaking price just to see if like the game or not, when 9-10 publishers proceed with both closed and open beta? Yeah you could argue with the fact that its pay once and play forever. But when you think about it, even single player games offer their players demos or even beta!

It would have been fine if they did like a lot of other games, pre-purchase now and get access to all the betas, and then give the opportunity to get a beta key through a contest or a specific time (Like Tera did on their Facebook page.)

Exactly, I think some of the diehards are missing this.

Of course it's paying now for access to something later, but with no release date on this it sets a bad precedent.  Basically your saying:' ANET take my money because I'm sold on what I've seen and what you said, who cares when it releases?'.  If a company has your money they don't have to listen to you anymore.

Also betas these days are marketing ploys and I'd say rather successful ones usually.  Let a ton of people try this out and some of them might pick up a copy.  ANET has decided as a cavet to offer beta access to those who pay for the full game upfront, (your chances of getting in through signing up are hillarious considering your, 'guaranteed' a spot for  paying up front.  Makes the system a joke really).

Whats the scenerio then when all of these people were enticed by this, (oh and yes I'm sure a ton of you only prepurchased when you knew about this beta access at the end of April), logon and some of them don't like what they find? Can they get a refund? Are the locked in with a purchase now?

Most industries have a try before you buy system.  MMO's have been pretty successful with this.  In my opinion as much as I'm looking forward to GW2, I think there's a bit too much risk on the consumers part..

This looks like a job for....The Riviera Kid!

Originally posted by Banisco

(...)

This is just ridiculous, all they said with that email is that if you buy the game you get beta acces, is not that hard to understand, there are a lot of people who has been waiting for the game for years and would have prepurchased even if they didnt gave beta acces, the guaranteed beta acces is a reward for those who support the company before the game releases.

You and many others are just paranoid and blind who can only see the stuff they make on their heads rather than whats the reality.

Why simple decision is paranoid behavior in your eyes, bloody game is not out yet, I didn’t lost anything. ;)

---

• BaniscoBanisco Member Posts: 240

(...)

Paying for beta invite is plain prostitution in my eyes, what if you don't like what you see there. Its just my opinion, no need to be rude.

Prostitution as i know it is paying to recibe a sexual service, so if no sex is invovled in the transaction its just a normal buy.

If you say than paying ofr a game and recieving a beta acces is prostitution, then asking for a meal in a restaurant and recieving some savories in the time your meal comes its prostitution too.

The comment I made was not one bit rude. Sorry if you thought it was. I simply stated that this was a GW2 forum. If you would have put your comment in a better format I would have know that.  

• WickedjellyWickedjelly Member Posts: 4,990

Yeah, I must admit that e-mail was rather fucking lame.

1. For god's sake mmo gamers, enough with the analogies. They're unnecessary and your comparisons are terrible, dissimilar, and illogical.

2. To posters feeling the need to state how f2p really isn't f2p: Players understand the concept. You aren't privy to some secret the rest are missing. You're embarrassing yourself.

3. Yes, Cpt. Obvious, we're not industry experts. Now run along and let the big people use the forums for their purpose.

Originally posted by Omnifish

To the rest, proceed:

I also got this email was like: Yes! I finally manage to get into the Beta :D But then i read on: if you pre-order…

Personally I think this is a stupid move on their part. A beta period is a test phase! And using all the hype surrounding the game to get people to pre-purchase it, is just plane stupid and not to speak of greedy.  

Why should we pay full freaking price just to see if like the game or not, when 9-10 publishers proceed with both closed and open beta? Yeah you could argue with the fact that its pay once and play forever. But when you think about it, even single player games offer their players demos or even beta!

It would have been fine if they did like a lot of other games, pre-purchase now and get access to all the betas, and then give the opportunity to get a beta key through a contest or a specific time (Like Tera did on their Facebook page.)

Of course it's paying now for access to something later, but with no release date on this it sets a bad precedent.  Basically your saying:' ANET take my money because I'm sold on what I've seen and what you said, who cares when it releases?'.  If a company has your money they don't have to listen to you anymore.

Also betas these days are marketing ploys and I'd say rather successful ones usually.  Let a ton of people try this out and some of them might pick up a copy.  ANET has decided as a cavet to offer beta access to those who pay for the full game upfront, (your chances of getting in through signing up are hillarious considering your, 'guaranteed' a spot for  paying up front.  Makes the system a joke really).

Whats the scenerio then when all of these people were enticed by this, (oh and yes I'm sure a ton of you only prepurchased when you knew about this beta access at the end of April), logon and some of them don't like what they find? Can they get a refund? Are the locked in with a purchase now?

Most industries have a try before you buy system.  MMO's have been pretty successful with this.  In my opinion as much as I'm looking forward to GW2, I think there's a bit too much risk on the consumers part..

It's $60! Come on it's not that huge of a deal when you honestly think about it.

• lokiboardlokiboard Member UncommonPosts: 229

Originally posted by Chrome1980

I know i am just one guy in millions but i am not going to encourage companies to charge full price for betas with no release date. I will buy the game once it is ready to release.

Gamestop says release date is 6/26/2012......They are usually correct.

• rojoArcueidrojoArcueid Member EpicPosts: 10,722

Originally posted by Mavacar

Ok, good to know thanks for the thread

this^

note: i also planned to buy the game long ago like OP. Unlike him, After that email, i used the email as short cut to buy it today lol.

• rojoArcueidrojoArcueid Member EpicPosts: 10,722

Originally posted by lokiboard

Originally posted by Chrome1980

I know i am just one guy in millions but i am not going to encourage companies to charge full price for betas with no release date. I will buy the game once it is ready to release.

Gamestop says release date is 6/26/2012......They are usually correct.

Gamestop said to me and personally showed me the same 6/26 date in 2010, then again in 2011.

their mmo dates are placeholders. I agree they are usually correct with console games and non mmo pc games

• OmnifishOmnifish Member Posts: 616

To the rest, proceed:

It's $60! Come on it's not that huge of a deal when you honestly think about it.

I take it you ignored the rest of what I wrote then? Nevermind..

Look, if you want to pay that for beta access to a game with no release date, by all means go for it.  I'm sure ANET will be pleased with you.

This looks like a job for....The Riviera Kid!

Originally posted by Banisco

(...)

Prostitution as i know it is paying to recibe a sexual service, so if no sex is invovled in the transaction its just a normal buy.

If you say than paying ofr a game and recieving a beta acces is prostitution, then asking for a meal in a restaurant and recieving some savories in the time your meal comes its prostitution too.

Term is not only for sexual actions.

Wictionary:

prostitution (uncountable)

1. Engaging in sexual activity with another person in exchange for compensation, such as money or other valuable goods.

Her addiction brought her to the point that prostitution was the only means she had to survive.

2. (by extension) Debasement for unworthy profit or motives.

The television advertising job was a prostitution of the talents of one of the great writers of the century.

---

• niceguy3978niceguy3978 Member UncommonPosts: 2,047

Originally posted by Shaike

Originally posted by oubers

Originally posted by GroovyFlower

Dont sign up then unsub there mailing, then you won't have that problem.

Its all so simple lol.

you fanbois can defend it all you like.....its plain greed.....no other company asks you to pay for the beta.....not even de "big evil" blizzard.....this weekend you could play D3 for FREE also TERA gave us some love by letting us try it......this is just plain GREED, nothing more or less.

Nope - its greed on your part - why do you think you deserve to get free Beta access??

they spent more than 5 years developing what could be the best MMO as of yet and you just think everyone should be able to experience it for free?  i say no - you are wrong

for now that is the most logical action on their part. sure once game iss finally out if you would like to try it out then there will probably be a "trial" of some sorts - but now (with all the hype and their effords) i think its reasonable to ask you to buy the game if you wish to enjoy it before its officially out....

I think it is partly because the entertainment industry is the only industry that I am aware of (outside of things like food and perishable items) that if you buy it, and don't like it, you can't return it, and if it is an item that is unreturnable they usually have a way to try it out for yourselves.  Chevy spent over 10 years developing the Volt and I guarantee you it cost them a lot more money to do so, yet I can go try it out for myself.  Of course I'll see that I can wouldn't be able to make my commute round trip on one charge, so I wouldn't buy it, but at least I can check it out.  I know they are different industries, but if I were to go to best buy, walmart, target, etc, and buy any item other than a movie, cd, or game, I would be able to take it back, after opening it, if it wasn't working the way I thought it would or if I just didn't like it for any reason.  Why do we hold game companies to a lower standard?

• niceguy3978niceguy3978 Member UncommonPosts: 2,047

To the rest, proceed:

Look, if you want to pay that for beta access to a game with no release date, by all means go for it.  I'm sure ANET will be pleased with you.

Yeah, 60 dollars isn't much to spend, but it is too much to waste.  Unfortunately you don't know if you've wasted it or not until you've actually handed it over with no recourse of getting it back.

• udonudon Member UncommonPosts: 1,803

To the rest, proceed:

My bookcase is full of $60 barily played games.  I really don't need to add anouther one to the list.  I'm going to wait and see if the game has a open beta or trial before I decide to purchase it.  if Anet chooses not to offer either of those than I won't be playing it.  I'm not in that much of a hurry to play $60-$80 for a game that will cost me $100+ a year in expansions and how should I put it, have a healthy RMT shop anyways.  Add on top of that the way ANET/NCSOFT "lost" my GW account when I took a year break and GW2 is going to have to live up to all it's hype to ever get me to purchase it.

I shall be pleased with myself! I'm going to have fun this weekend and $60 is a small amount for me to fork out. I did read the rest of your post but highlited the part that seems to me the most important. People are making such a huge deal out of nothing, it's a game.

Originally posted by niceguy3978

Originally posted by Shaike

Originally posted by oubers

Originally posted by GroovyFlower

Dont sign up then unsub there mailing, then you won't have that problem.

Its all so simple lol.

you fanbois can defend it all you like.....its plain greed.....no other company asks you to pay for the beta.....not even de "big evil" blizzard.....this weekend you could play D3 for FREE also TERA gave us some love by letting us try it......this is just plain GREED, nothing more or less.

Nope - its greed on your part - why do you think you deserve to get free Beta access??

they spent more than 5 years developing what could be the best MMO as of yet and you just think everyone should be able to experience it for free?  i say no - you are wrong

for now that is the most logical action on their part. sure once game iss finally out if you would like to try it out then there will probably be a "trial" of some sorts - but now (with all the hype and their effords) i think its reasonable to ask you to buy the game if you wish to enjoy it before its officially out....

I think it is partly because the entertainment industry is the only industry that I am aware of (outside of things like food and perishable items) that if you buy it, and don't like it, you can't return it, and if it is an item that is unreturnable they usually have a way to try it out for yourselves.  Chevy spent over 10 years developing the Volt and I guarantee you it cost them a lot more money to do so, yet I can go try it out for myself.  Of course I'll see that I can wouldn't be able to make my commute round trip on one charge, so I wouldn't buy it, but at least I can check it out.  I know they are different industries, but if I were to go to best buy, walmart, target, etc, and buy any item other than a movie, cd, or game, I would be able to take it back, after opening it, if it wasn't working the way I thought it would or if I just didn't like it for any reason.  Why do we hold game companies to a lower standard?

Good words, exactly my thoughts.

---

• joocheesejoocheese Member Posts: 845

Originally posted by Torvaldr

I noticed that too and I was definitely put off.  I have a GW1 account from day one year zero with EotN, slots, etc.  I'm okay with not getting into a beta test, but don't send me an email later asking me to buy my way in after I'm not selected.

I don't know if I would say it's greedy, but I will say I found it quite rude and unprofessional.  Not to mention the fact that it sent a clear signal to me that customer loyalty seems to mean little to them.

Sounds to me someone feels entitled to things.

Yellow: So did a lot of us (includig me).

Red: I also did not get selected into the closed beta as well... no biggie!

Green: How is it rude and unprofessional?? Anet is a business, not a charity!

Blue: HoM rewards sounds to me like a decent way of recognizing customer loyalty.

Look. I understand your frustruation. You've put in many hours and invested lots of money in their game. I'm not ciritizing your loyalty to Anet, just your sense of entitlement. I also love the GW world, played GW1 from day one! I tried to get into the beta but was also unsuccessful. Am I butt hurt? No! To be quite honest, I couldn't have been happier to have pre purchased the game and thus continue to invest my money in Anet. I pre puchased the game less than 1 hour after it was available for pre purchase. I would have pre purchased the game even if there were no guaranteed access to the betas and/or 3 day access prior to release.

GW2 is not GW1. Though GW2 is considered a sequel to GW1, it is not an expansion to GW1, it is a completely separate game. Anet is not obligated to recognize any form of loyalty to their playerbase (betas, HoM, etc). However, doing so is not only a smart business model, in the case for Anet, I actually do believe that the devs do seek to find ways to reward those who have been loyal to their game.

Evereyone has the right to critize whatever the hell they want, regardless if they're right or wrong. As an apparent loyal customer to Anet, I would say you have a bit more of a right to say what you want about the company/game. But, just remember, it is a business and Anet does have to make money. As a loyal customer I gladly pre purchased the game

1) you fanbois can defend it all you like.....its plain greed.....no other company asks you to pay for the beta.....not even de "big evil" blizzard.....this weekend you could play D3 for FREE also TERA gave us some love by letting us try it......this is just plain GREED, nothing more or less.

2) I think it is partly because the entertainment industry is the only industry that I am aware of (outside of things like food and perishable items) that if you buy it, and don't like it, you can't return it, and if it is an item that is unreturnable they usually have a way to try it out for yourselves.  Chevy spent over 10 years developing the Volt and I guarantee you it cost them a lot more money to do so, yet I can go try it out for myself.  Of course I'll see that I can wouldn't be able to make my commute round trip on one charge, so I wouldn't buy it, but at least I can check it out.  I know they are different industries, but if I were to go to best buy, walmart, target, etc, and buy any item other than a movie, cd, or game, I would be able to take it back, after opening it, if it wasn't working the way I thought it would or if I just didn't like it for any reason.  Why do we hold game companies to a lower standard?

1) Anet did not ask anyone to pay for the beta, they're charging for the game, which happens to include access to the beta. As for D3, its about time! D3 is going to be released in a couple weeks (23 days I believe), GW2 doesn't even have a release date yet and they're allowing people who pre purchased the game to have access to the beta. Find me one person whom Anet charged just for the beta and I'll conceed my point.

2) So... the companies that sell you food and perishable items are just as greedy and "evil" as gaming companies? (yikes!) There are various types of markets, each with their own advantages and disadvantages. If you don't like a certain market, then don't participate (you can grow your own food). If you don't approve of the current gaming business model then by all means, don't buy games! Simple as that. If enough people agree with you and refuse to buy games, the gaming industry will get the message and will most likely change their business model. As for the Chevy Volt (complete failure just like SWTOR), it is heavily subsidized by the US Government (thanks Obama!).

Red: Before rambling about how you are entitled to whatever the hell you want, have you stopped and considered that there might be a good reason why certain items cannot be returned? Just a thought.

I shall be pleased with myself! I'm going to have fun this weekend and $60 is a small amount for me to fork out. I did read the rest of your post but highlited the part that seems to me the most important. People are making such a huge deal out of nothing, it's a game.

Again! You people don't understand that you are not paying for beta or for the 3 day access prior to release. You are in fact paying for the game, which happens to come with those advantages. Blizzard is doing something similar (the reverse) with their annual pass which includes D3. As opposed to just buying GW2 with advantages (beta, 3 day prior access), with D3, you are paying for 1 year of WOW subs and getting D3 as a bonus.