Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Want to play in the next beta? Pre-Purchase Guild Wars 2 now!

Comments

• catplaycatplay Member Posts: 71

Originally posted by EduardoASG
    Well, believe it or not, thats the subject of the email beeing sent by NCSoft/Arenanet to people who did sign up as beeing interested in checking their upcoming title Guild Wars 2.
    Let me tell you something,
    IF i was thinking on buying this game, after receiving this email, i am PRETTY SURE i wont :)

Are you Arenanet employer desperate to sell the game? Judging after your thread title...

• HurvartHurvart Member Posts: 565

Originally posted by Shaike

Originally posted by oubers

Originally posted by GroovyFlower

Well, believe it or not, thats the subject of the email beeing sent by NCSoft/Arenanet to people who did sign up as beeing interested in checking their upcoming title Guild Wars 2.

IF i was thinking on buying this game, after receiving this email, i am PRETTY SURE i wont :)

Dont sign up then unsub there mailing, then you won't have that problem.

Its all so simple lol.

you fanbois can defend it all you like.....its plain greed.....no other company asks you to pay for the beta.....not even de "big evil" blizzard.....this weekend you could play D3 for FREE also TERA gave us some love by letting us try it......this is just plain GREED, nothing more or less.

Nope - its greed on your part - why do you think you deserve to get free Beta access??

they spent more than 5 years developing what could be the best MMO as of yet and you just think everyone should be able to experience it for free?  i say no - you are wrong

for now that is the most logical action on their part. sure once game iss finally out if you would like to try it out then there will probably be a "trial" of some sorts - but now (with all the hype and their effords) i think its reasonable to ask you to buy the game if you wish to enjoy it before its officially out....

You are not really in a beta to enjoy the game. If you do its a bonus. You are there to help the company test the game and find bugs and problems. You are helping them and working for them. If anything they should pay you for the help. But normally fans are willing to do that for free. But should you have to pay to be allowed to help them?

IMO, a company should be greatful if people are prepared to help them test and polish a product that is far from ready and finished. This was the normal attitude before...

Not even M$ wants or expects you to pay if you want to try /beta test Windows 8. Think about that...

• ShaikeShaike Member UncommonPosts: 301

Originally posted by Hurvart

Its all so simple lol.

you fanbois can defend it all you like.....its plain greed.....no other company asks you to pay for the beta.....not even de "big evil" blizzard.....this weekend you could play D3 for FREE also TERA gave us some love by letting us try it......this is just plain GREED, nothing more or less.

Nope - its greed on your part - why do you think you deserve to get free Beta access??

they spent more than 5 years developing what could be the best MMO as of yet and you just think everyone should be able to experience it for free?  i say no - you are wrong

for now that is the most logical action on their part. sure once game iss finally out if you would like to try it out then there will probably be a "trial" of some sorts - but now (with all the hype and their effords) i think its reasonable to ask you to buy the game if you wish to enjoy it before its officially out....

You are not really in a beta to enjoy the game. If you do its a bonus. You are there to help the company test the game and find bugs and problems. You are helping them and working for them. If anything they should pay you for the help. But normally fans are willing to do that for free. But should you have to pay to be allowed to help them?

IMO, a company should be greatful if people are prepared to help them test and polish a product that is far from ready and finished. This was the normal attitude before...

Not even M$ wants or expects you to pay if you want to try /beta test Windows 8. Think about that...

Beta testing isn't a JOB!!!!!

get over yourselves and stop trying to get stuff for free!!!!

You either want to play this game - and then why not buy it and play it even before it is ready (and i should assume you would want Beta access to it), or you don't like this game and why are you ranting over Beta access.

If you are neither (not sure about the game) wait for it to be released - what else could you do? ohh wait - you could spend all day here ranting how "unfair" it is you cannot play the game without paying for it (even in it's current Beta state)

Just my 2 cents...

• raistlinmraistlinm Member Posts: 673

Its all so simple lol.

You either want to play this game - and then why not buy it and play it even before it is ready (and i should assume you would want Beta access to it), or you don't like this game and why are you ranting over Beta access.

If you are neither (not sure about the game) wait for it to be released - what else could you do? ohh wait - you could spend all day here ranting how "unfair" it is you cannot play the game without paying for it (even in it's current Beta state)

beta testing might not be a job but it sure isn't release either so why should people just be happy to pay for it?????

• Chrome1980Chrome1980 Member Posts: 511

Its all so simple lol.

Man you GW2 fans are so intolernat of other people opinion. The guy didn't rant at all. He is talking about general practise of paying for un finished game with no release date. To some it seems a silly practise. This is an open forum not a fan site and everyone has the right to post their opinions about it. No where he said he is upset because he can not play the game without paying for it. Infact he wouldn't pay for it out of choice because he is against the idea of paying to get a beta access.

• synnsynn Member UncommonPosts: 563

the only thing that bothers me about this game is that they are trying to sell something without letting the public know when it will be available. I don't see how this is good business.

• raistlinmraistlinm Member Posts: 673

Originally posted by Chrome1980

Its all so simple lol.

Man you GW2 fans are so intolernat of other people opinion. The guy didn't rant at all. He is talking about general practise of paying for un finished game with no release date. To some it seems a silly practise. This is an open forum not a fan site and everyone has the right to post their opinions about it. No where he said he is upset because he can not pay the game without paying for it. Infact he wouldn't pay for it out of choice because he is against he idea of paying to get a beta access.

Welcome to the GW2 forum voice of reason, sorry to say but you aren't welcome here nor is anyone else who would dare to question the great Arenanet, maker of the second most popular mmorpg on the planet. 

If you can't accept the fact that GW2 is the answer to everything that is wrong in this world then you are the problem not A Net and this will remain true until three months after release and half of these people realize this game is not the second coming and turn all the love they spew into venom.

• BaniscoBanisco Member Posts: 240

Originally posted by raistlinm

(...)

Welcome to the GW2 forum voice of reason, sorry to say but you aren't welcome here nor is anyone else who would dare to question the great Arenanet, maker of the second most popular mmorpg on the planet. 

If you can't accept the fact that GW2 is the answer to everything that is wrong in this world then you are the problem not A Net and this will remain true until three months after release and half of these people realize this game is not the second coming and turn all the love they spew into venom.

You may think you are very clever but yet you cant understand that the beta acces is not  what they are selling, its a REWARD for those who trust Anet and want to prepurchase.

• HurvartHurvart Member Posts: 565

Its all so simple lol.

I have beta tested a lot of games the last 15 years. And to be honest its not all that fun anymore. If I do it is because I want to help the company and believe in the product. I prefer to skip the beta and play the finished game when its released. Often you will have more fun that way. At least, IMO.

If they expect me to pay them for being allowed to help them they can forget it.

And I dont know enough to decide if the game is good or bad. I will not have any opinion until after release.

• NadiaNadia Member UncommonPosts: 11,798

He is talking about general practise of paying for un finished game with no release date. To some it seems a silly practise.

Blizzards StarCraft2 had no release date and offered guaranteed beta to players who preordered

http://www.gamespot.com/news/starcraft-ii-beta-access-included-with-preorder-6259222

• KhinRuniteKhinRunite Member Posts: 879

Originally posted by raistlinm

Its all so simple lol.

beta testing might not be a job but it sure isn't release either so why should people just be happy to pay for it?????

Because the ones who already paid for it are guaranteed to buy the game when it's released. For them there is absolutely no difference in cashing out now if they've decided they'd buy it anyway, even if that happens to be at the end of this year. It's really not that hard to understand.

It's bringing to life the meme "Shut up and take my money!"

Originally posted by Nadia

He is talking about general practise of paying for un finished game with no release date. To some it seems a silly practise.

Blizzards StarCraft2 had no release date and offered guaranteed beta to players who preordered

http://www.gamespot.com/news/starcraft-ii-beta-access-included-with-preorder-6259222

And? does that make it right for those who don't believe in it? i don't even know why you posted that link. I know other companies do it too but we are talking about Ncsoft / Anet right now.

• NadiaNadia Member UncommonPosts: 11,798

And? does that make it right for those who don't believe in it? i don't even know why you posted that link. I know other companies do it too but we are talking about Ncsoft / Anet right now.

i posted the link as a verification of source

- ive seen several people in the past week, months claim that paying with no release date seems to is a new trend that ANET is starting and other companies dont do this

or the more common complaint: paying for beta

as others have stated,

many were going to buy the game anyhow -- access to beta is another perk for pre-ordering

• oubersoubers Member UncommonPosts: 855

Its all so simple lol.

Did you get that from my post??

All i am asking for me to get a feel of the game in a beta, i am not asking for a free game here.....maybe a fiew lvls so i can get the feel of this game....nothing more or less.

Oh, so the reason they ask money is because they have been working on it for years with passion???? why can we test Diablo3 and TERA for free during a weekend then?????

Also i am not talking about early access......i am talking BETA ffs. If people who pre-order the game get an extra week of gametime......i dont mind...REALY.....bcause they payd for it.

Beta's have been the way to get people to buy your game for years now......alot of people aint buying BETA access, if you want to buy a beta because you cant wait for a fiew weeks then plz do so but also plz respect our opinion in this ok?

• aesperusaesperus Member UncommonPosts: 5,135

Jeeze, some of the whinning is just so absurd. And has been for some time.

Guys, a few things to get clear:

1) You are NEVER entitled to a beta. Not every game gives out free betas. While open betas have become more common-place in recent years (as a selling point, or marketting strategy), you are not entitled to a free ride.

2) You do NOT have to buy the game to get into beta. If you want a free beta, FFS go here and sign up for it when the registration opens back up:

https://beta.guildwars2.com/

3) They haven't said that they won't have an Open Beta once it gets closer to launch. We have no idea how they will handle launch, or when that will be.

4) The pre-purchase deal is simply them going 'we didn't expect to get as many beta applications as we did. We want to let all of you in, here's a chance to do that'.

- To expand upon point 4, most games don't do that. Most games wait until a release date to give pre-orders a shot at beta, and even then it's only a few days-1week before launch. Nothing more. This is giving players a shot at beta well BEFORE then, so if we do want changes, we can be vocal about it. Quite a big difference there, and a perk I am not sorry about paying for (given that the price of the game is still the same). For a 60$ purchase, it's a steal.

If you don't think Anet will make changes to it's game based on community feedback, you may want to follow the development of the cashshop & mob difficulty...

• Bandar83Bandar83 Member UncommonPosts: 37

I would like to point out that nobody is "PAYING" for access to beta. Everybody who pre-purchased is "PAYING" for the game in ADVANCE. There happens to be perks associated with that, but that is not the same as paying for beta. Also, you can still get in the beta without pre-purchasing. It's just not guaranteed.

They have already stated that this is a public beta weekend. Which is effectively an OPEN beta with restricted access. That is why the NDA is lifted for the beta weekends. So enjoy yourselves :)

I chose to pre-purchase because I knew it was going to be a game I buy, guaranteed. Why not pay in advance and get some neat perks? Sounds pretty good to me :)

If you choose not to pre-purchase that is your choice. Why try to belittle those who love/trust the company enough to purchase ahead of time ;)

All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing - Edmund Burke

• DanitaKusorDanitaKusor Member UncommonPosts: 556

If you don't want to pre-purchase the game to play in the beta then don't do it.  There is a still a slim chance you will get a beta invite anyway.  Pre-purchasing is the only way to guarantee a spot however.

The Enlightened take things Lightly

i posted the link as a verification of source

- ive seen several people in the past week, months claim that paying with no release date seems to is a new trend that ANET is starting and other companies dont do this

or the more common complaint: paying for beta

as others have stated,

many were going to buy the game anyhow -- access to beta is another perk for pre-ordering

What have you seen is people talking in regards with MMOS and not video games in general. I am fine with people who want to pay for beta access but i am against telling those people who are against this practise to 'shut up' and not voice their concern.

• kiiixkiiix Member Posts: 93

To all you overlyloveydoby fan boys go read something else!

To the rest, proceed:

I also got this email was like: Yes! I finally manage to get into the Beta :D But then i read on: if you pre-order…

Personally I think this is a stupid move on their part. A beta period is a test phase! And using all the hype surrounding the game to get people to pre-purchase it, is just plane stupid and not to speak of greedy.  

Why should we pay full freaking price just to see if like the game or not, when 9-10 publishers proceed with both closed and open beta? Yeah you could argue with the fact that its pay once and play forever. But when you think about it, even single player games offer their players demos or even beta!

It would have been fine if they did like a lot of other games, pre-purchase now and get access to all the betas, and then give the opportunity to get a beta key through a contest or a specific time (Like Tera did on their Facebook page.)

That one in a million Anime loving,Workout crazy, Gamer.
    KiX0@Steam/Raptr

• KhinRuniteKhinRunite Member Posts: 879

Its all so simple lol.

All i am asking for me to get a feel of the game in a beta, i am not asking for a free game here.....maybe a fiew lvls so i can get the feel of this game....nothing more or less.

Oh, so the reason they ask money is because they have been working on it for years with passion???? why can we test Diablo3 and TERA for free during a weekend then?????

Also i am not talking about early access......i am talking BETA ffs. If people who pre-order the game get an extra week of gametime......i dont mind...REALY.....bcause they payd for it.

Beta's have been the way to get people to buy your game for years now......alot of people aint buying BETA access, if you want to buy a beta because you cant wait for a fiew weeks then plz do so but also plz respect our opinion in this ok?

Tough luck. Right from the get go ANet has already announced there will be NO open betas, only closed ones.

Originally posted by Bandar83

I would like to point out that nobody is "PAYING" for access to beta. Everybody who pre-purchased is "PAYING" for the game in ADVANCE. There happens to be perks associated with that, but that is not the same as paying for beta. Also, you can still get in the beta without pre-purchasing. It's just not guaranteed.

They have already stated that this is a public beta weekend. Which is effectively an OPEN beta with restricted access. That is why the NDA is lifted for the beta weekends. So enjoy yourselves :)

I chose to pre-purchase because I knew it was going to be a game I buy, guaranteed. Why not pay in advance and get some neat perks? Sounds pretty good to me :)

If you choose not to pre-purchase that is your choice. Why try to belittle those who love/trust the company enough to purchase ahead of time ;)

you can call it what you like......in human language it just means your paying for beta to me.....mho on this.

ps: so this means that if you dont pre-order (a game that doesnt even have a release date...) you are not worth trying it???

sound pretty discriminating to me.

Originally posted by KhinRunite

Its all so simple lol.

Tough luck. Right from the get go ANet has already announced there will be NO open betas, only closed ones.

There WILL be open trails once the game goes live.....trust me.....and it will be free too......come back and tell me i am wrong a month after release and i'll gladly swollow my words public on this forum :)

Originally posted by kiiix

To the rest, proceed:

I also got this email was like: Yes! I finally manage to get into the Beta :D But then i read on: if you pre-order…

Personally I think this is a stupid move on their part. A beta period is a test phase! And using all the hype surrounding the game to get people to pre-purchase it, is just plane stupid and not to speak of greedy.  

Why should we pay full freaking price just to see if like the game or not, when 9-10 publishers proceed with both closed and open beta? Yeah you could argue with the fact that its pay once and play forever. But when you think about it, even single player games offer their players demos or even beta!

It would have been fine if they did like a lot of other games, pre-purchase now and get access to all the betas, and then give the opportunity to get a beta key through a contest or a specific time (Like Tera did on their Facebook page.)

soon all will see that it wont be the second comming of jezus but just another game that was overhyped.

• lilHealalilHeala Member UncommonPosts: 522

You don't need to pay to play the beta, I've seen tons of beta key giveaways by fansites all promoted through Twitter / Facebook.

Pre-purchase gives you guaranteed access to the beta if you're allready sure you want to play the game. If you're not sure yet, don't prepurchase, and if you still want to participate in the beta then go take your chances at the numerous giveaways.

So you're technically only paying for the beta if that's your only reason for deciding to prepurchase.

There have been many games I pre-ordered and allready had to pay upfront and still didn't get beta access. Also I allready decided to buy GW2 over 2 years ago when the 1st demos hit Gamescom and I had my hands on experience. So for me it's just a nice little perk that comes with the pre-purchase and a nicer perk than most games I bought in the past have offered me.

• kiiixkiiix Member Posts: 93

Originally posted by kiiix

To the rest, proceed:

soon all will see that it wont be the second comming of jezus but just another game that was overhyped.

bump^

That one in a million Anime loving,Workout crazy, Gamer.
    KiX0@Steam/Raptr