Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Why Guild Wars 2 might fail

Comments

• HimemiyaHimemiya Member Posts: 139
    Define fail, in the case of GW2 being a B2P title and also taking into account how much was spent on it.

L2P TERA combat:

• SvarcanumSvarcanum Member UncommonPosts: 425

If people won't leave the WoW (et al.) mind set then yes, Guild Wars 2 will probably end up a pretty big niche game a few months after release. I sincerely hope that people will change their expectations of an MMO with the release of GW2. I'm one of those players who care pretty much only about optimizing my gear for stats. I *never* bought a cosmetic item from Blizzard, and I'm completely unintrested in cosmetic rewards even if they don't mean I have to sacrifice stats for them. However, this is my attitude in WoW. And I don't really like my own attitude, so I hope it will change if I'm in a game that frames my actions differently!:)

• KidonKidon Member UncommonPosts: 399

"GW2 is not even freaking action free aim" ?

How is that? u do know you dont need to target anyone to use a skill dont you? and even if  u choose to target it, the skill can be used even if you are out of range, i think that is free aim.

• RequiamerRequiamer Member Posts: 2,034

Honestly i don't know about others but that article is kind of an insult to player intelligence, see point 4. As if all gamers and all mmorpg games on earth where made for 5 years old retards that was gaming to be spoon feed, for instant gratification and orgasmic emotions that blur so much their mind they are unable to have any clear vision of themselves and couldn't accept something like loosing (see point 3). You know that in old rpg character used to perma-die right? and it worked pretty fine. Which is obviously also one of the most important thing why people play games in general too, i mean the fact they have to learn how to loose, and that its not that important if you can't get all you want. Yes recovering fast from a loose attempt is actually a skill to learn, not because people expect to never loose, but because you'll loose at one point or an other anyway, did you ever though about this OP?

Every single game on earth is promoting the player over the medium used to play a game, they are all to enhance human intelligence and physic, be it table top games, pen&paper, sport, i mean anything. Fuck even animals use games when they are young to learn and be better at what they will have to do later on. What are you even talking about OP?

But no mmorpg gamer are like at the opposite of all this? I mean just come on already, Op stop making a fool of yourself really. Pack your arguments, go play some games, chess, soccer, whatever, go read some books about gaming and sport history, i mean stop contemplating your own navel and WOW, go breath some fresh air, you really need it. Damn.

• ShaikeShaike Member UncommonPosts: 301

Originally posted by Azmodai

Originally posted by Kidon

"GW2 getting rid of these substantive differences between the races and high-level gear means that while a player may look cooler than another, they aren’t actually better than anyone else, and players will quickly realize it is a shallow system"

In guild wars 2 you will be better if you play better, how is this a shallow system? in other mmos non cares who is better since, unless they all have the same gear, their win's are gear based.

Dont say stuff like that c'mon, I cant get around the whole "GW2 is all about skillzz" argument, To me it looks like any other MMO with a different class system and it will always have OP classes/weapons and under powered classes/weapons. No matter what the developers do a game can almost never Be balanced especially in the case of GW2's multi-weapon system unless there is only 1 class or if everyone uses the Exact same thing like for example a FPS game with lets say the same weapon.

GW2 is not even freaking action free aim so how the hell is it fully skillz? Sure it might have some kind of actiony twist to it but its still not action. Gear might not matter in GW2 but Classes and weapons will matter 100%. Ur saying that every weapon combination is the same as the rest, that alone would make GW2 really boring since there is no diversity. Some people assume that EVERYONE likes change but forget that 90% of the games that tried to change failed to do so. I don't follow GW2 too much so don't go all ape shit on me but If there is something that I might have mistaken in my post then feel free to correct me. Also correct me if I am wrong but Does GW2 offer any kind of Community based PVP? Like for example a Guild war between clans or small scrimish between players? These kind of things can be important in MMOs.

These are just my thoughts about the game, I was a little interested in it but unfortunately it wasn't to my taste. I hope that all the fans enjoy the game and all but at least keep your fanboisim to a minimum so People who don't research much won't be disappointed (like in SWTOR's case maybe). 

All I can say about this is I will enjoy the game as part of his Lore and innovative game-play and hope that people like you will not play the game as it will ruin it for the rest of us who do enjoy diversity (and not just WOW/Rift/SWTOR etc.. - which are all the same sh*t for me and I hate them all already equally)

Last thing I expect to see in GW2 chat is people spamming how boring and the same everything is.......

just my 2 cents....

Just my 2 cents...

• sassoonsssassoonss Member UncommonPosts: 1,132

wow I need coffee after that font attack

Although you did raise some points there

To play this game it seems you have to use brains and not  button mashing

Also standing in 1 location and clicking the skills is not going to work in a all the vids i saw .Dodging and movingf around , reading the visual clues is very important.I admit personally I also fee I might have to chnage my playstyle but I am up for it.

• HimemiyaHimemiya Member Posts: 139
    @Shaike
    There's no general chat in GW2 so it shouldn't be a problem. One less.

L2P TERA combat:

• frestonfreston Member UncommonPosts: 503

There are several different kind of players in mmos. The article is just referring ot one of them; the competitor, the one that ones that doesnt mind pouring hours into the game just to be an inch ahead of everyone else.

Its a valid way of playing, but it only applies to a minority of gamers out there, harcore pvpers and raiders mostly. 

• AzmodaiAzmodai Member UncommonPosts: 154

How is that? u do know you dont need to target anyone to use a skill dont you? and even if  u choose to target it, the skill can be used even if you are out of range, i think that is free aim.

It has tab targets still from what I saw and heard, A free aim is for example like a Shooter ( Do i really have to explain to you?). Both we and the Fans know that GW2 is an action MMO i mean... I dont even follow it that much and I know that. Its a mixture of the 2 but still Has Tab targeting. When i say free aim I mean for Example TERA etc. and some of the AOE effects seem to be similar to MOBA style games (league of legends come to mind). This means that you HAVE to use your Mouse in Combat but most Free aim games allow you to simply use the skills without the need to choose the area of effect with the Mouse.

I am sure that most of the fans already know that so it really doesn't add much to this discussion. Don't get me wrong, I really hope that It succeds so people can play something they enjoy but the least we can do is keep the information realistic. 

Originally posted by Himemiya

@Shaike

There's no general chat in GW2 so it shouldn't be a problem. One less.

Ohh good :-)

Nice that they even thought about that...

BTW i looked at the original post at the link published here earlier and someone there said you could read the original rant from the begining and just replace the headline to - "5 reasons why gw2 will become a mainstream mmo" - which i totally agree

as someone who hates waiting in queue just to do content with others (that the game forces me to do) i love that i can just go do what i like and if there are other ppl around they will join me and we could all enjoy the game.

also i do agree that hard-core raiders will dislike this game as it is not about the grind they like so much - which is a plus....

Just my 2 cents...

• xmentyxmenty Member UncommonPosts: 718

I do my research on google and youtube before I prepurchased.

I try not to assume on anything.

For now GW2 have the best concept of what I think MMO should be.

The next MMO after GW2 might break away from the WOW clone and give us something raw and innovative.

You should be more excited cos at last dev are trying to move away from the old WOW concept.

This could be a fun MMO tho War of the Roses (pre-alpha footage) ?

EDIT cos my english is bad lol

Pardon my English as it is not my 1st language :)

• WooShooWooShoo Member UncommonPosts: 33

Ok, I know I am coming late to this post, but man, the type of gamers the OP describes must be the most shallow, eliteist players ever, and if those points presented are true, they just confirmed that GW2 will be the game of my dreams. 

If, like me...

• you care more about the player than their skill

• have wiped in a raid repeatedly because of someone's fantastic sense of humor

• routinely login and find you've wasted the 3 or so hours you had to play running in circles chatting or in vent with people you met in the game

• treat people in your guild (or polite people you meet in parties) like your closest friends instead of marks to be exploited

• wonder how you can improve when something goes wrong instead of blaming anyone or anything but yourself

• would rather have the funniest/nicest/most genuinely helpful person join you than some bossy, efficient, hardcore snob who cares more about their personal ranking than the slightest inconvenience to anyone else in the game

• have found that random "let's go see what's over there even if it kills us" moments make for far better memories than "epic uber pwnage" of a raid or PvP map

Now, while some of those came off a little bit harsher than I intended, they're not that far off.  I don't mean to offend anyone, especially the majority of you who are somewhere in-between, and I also know that players who agree with the points above are not just no-skill, carbear noobs.  I've known so many who absolutely would agree with my rant points above and were good enough with the classes they played that they had great reputations.  So to those of you laughed (with me) after reading this, or actually agree with me, see you in the game!

In simpler terms, GW2 won't fail because GW didn't fail, and GW2 is just more and refined.

(>< it's late, and this post probably made me look like a complete loon...)

• Joe_CoolJoe_Cool Member Posts: 7

yeah i saw the total biscuit video of that i Really want to try it even if Not done it looks SO fun

• TamanousTamanous Member RarePosts: 3,026

Font failed too hard to read it.

You stay sassy!

• NitthNitth Member UncommonPosts: 3,904

Originally posted by ictown
    I'm confident that GW2 will be an excellent game and find a dedicated audience that will really enjoy it. I am not confident that GW2 will be a hit with more mainstream MMO players though, for the following reasons and these are the same reasons that is wrong with mmos today.
    1. Players don’t want to look cool, they want to be cool.Every time a player makes a choice based on a 1% dodge bonus, or wears stupid looking armor with great stats over visual aesthetics they are opting for substance over style. GW2 getting rid of these substantive differences between the races and high-level gear means that while a player may look cooler than another, they aren’t actually better than anyone else, and players will quickly realize it is a shallow system.2. Players want to be the best without actually being the best.Players want an advantage over everyone else, especially if they can achieve that with mediocre ability spread out over countless hours of monotony that the next guy can’t or won’t invest; a weapon that provides both a stat advantage and exclusive access to a dungeon to get an increased advantage allows mediocre players to get better simply through willpower and time invested versus actual skill or growth. GW2 goes the opposite direction of this, so far as to de-level players going backward in content, almost negating in total what advances they attained through gear and stats alone to keep things interesting. When stats fail to make players better, most players will have nowhere to turn.3. When players can’t be the best they want somebody (preferably) or something else (works too) to blame instead of themselves.Eventually things don’t work out as many players wish, and when that happens it’s easier to blame the healers or the tank, or the opposing faction, or the guildie who picked the dumbest class and is wasting a raid slot, etc. instead of doing a self-examination and figuring out how they can improve and then acting to do so. Considering that GW2 is more reliant on player-skill than any other MMO, and that professions are essentially jacks of all trades, finger-pointing will be awkward at best and accusations against balance issues or ad hominem attacks against ArenaNet just won’t work long-term for bad players.4. Players don’t want to have to think, they just want to act.Many MMOs cater to skill rotations, cool-down management, and provide high-reward abilities with no risks associated with their use. A perceived “I Win” button like Moa Morph that can actually miss is a foreign concept to many players, and one that will probably ruin their sense of fun in the face of more skillful opponents or challenging NPCs.
    While some players are sighing in relief about the “low” number of skills in GW2, this is an illusion or an oversimplification, as many of the traits really do add an unparalleled level of depth to profession customization. That there is no one “right” answer for a profession, coupled with the fact that the “right traits and skills” would still require skillful and thoughtful use by the player, will only frustrate players more accustomed to traditional MMORPG gameplay conventions.5. Players need validation.In most MMOs it’s a simple matter to find one or two character builds that are optimal for the way the game is designed. In higher-level content, if a build can fulfill a role in a raid, and the raid succeeds, the build is successful, and the feedback is readily apparent. GW2’s reliance on player-skill and player-choice throws this system of evaluation out the window, and every request to evaluate a given build veils thinly the requestor’s doubts about having enough personal skill to succeed in spite of mistakes, oversights, and/or shortcomings at the trait and skill picking level. With player-skill being such an integral variable that many players won't honestly want to evaluate, validation will be difficult to come by.
    If people are willing to accept new changes in GW2, I think its going to be a smashing hit. At some point, there has to mmo that tries to differentiate standard EQ/WOW based system and you know what, Guild Wars decided to do that. 
    EDIT: Changed Font and repost from Andre @SA forum

For that to actually be correct your assumptions on the gaming community have to be true.

TSW - AoC - Aion - WOW - EVE - Fallen Earth - Co - Rift - || XNA C# Java Development

• KidonKidon Member UncommonPosts: 399

It has tab targets still from what I saw and heard, A free aim is for example like a Shooter ( Do i really have to explain to you?). Both we and the Fans know that GW2 is an action MMO i mean... I dont even follow it that much and I know that. Its a mixture of the 2 but still Has Tab targeting. When i say free aim I mean for Example TERA etc. and some of the AOE effects seem to be similar to MOBA style games (league of legends come to mind). This means that you HAVE to use your Mouse in Combat but most Free aim games allow you to simply use the skills without the need to choose the area of effect with the Mouse.

I am sure that most of the fans already know that so it really doesn't add much to this discussion. Don't get me wrong, I really hope that It succeds so people can play something they enjoy but the least we can do is keep the information realistic. 

"When i say free aim I mean for Example TERA" then GW2 as free aim, if you choose to play like that but it is superior to TERA's mechanic

• aligada87aligada87 Member UncommonPosts: 234

Originally posted by Shaike

"GW2 getting rid of these substantive differences between the races and high-level gear means that while a player may look cooler than another, they aren’t actually better than anyone else, and players will quickly realize it is a shallow system"

In guild wars 2 you will be better if you play better, how is this a shallow system? in other mmos non cares who is better since, unless they all have the same gear, their win's are gear based.

Dont say stuff like that c'mon, I cant get around the whole "GW2 is all about skillzz" argument, To me it looks like any other MMO with a different class system and it will always have OP classes/weapons and under powered classes/weapons. No matter what the developers do a game can almost never Be balanced especially in the case of GW2's multi-weapon system unless there is only 1 class or if everyone uses the Exact same thing like for example a FPS game with lets say the same weapon.

GW2 is not even freaking action free aim so how the hell is it fully skillz? Sure it might have some kind of actiony twist to it but its still not action. Gear might not matter in GW2 but Classes and weapons will matter 100%. Ur saying that every weapon combination is the same as the rest, that alone would make GW2 really boring since there is no diversity. Some people assume that EVERYONE likes change but forget that 90% of the games that tried to change failed to do so. I don't follow GW2 too much so don't go all ape shit on me but If there is something that I might have mistaken in my post then feel free to correct me. Also correct me if I am wrong but Does GW2 offer any kind of Community based PVP? Like for example a Guild war between clans or small scrimish between players? These kind of things can be important in MMOs.

These are just my thoughts about the game, I was a little interested in it but unfortunately it wasn't to my taste. I hope that all the fans enjoy the game and all but at least keep your fanboisim to a minimum so People who don't research much won't be disappointed (like in SWTOR's case maybe). 

All I can say about this is I will enjoy the game as part of his Lore and innovative game-play and hope that people like you will not play the game as it will ruin it for the rest of us who do enjoy diversity (and not just WOW/Rift/SWTOR etc.. - which are all the same sh*t for me and I hate them all already equally)

Last thing I expect to see in GW2 chat is people spamming how boring and the same everything is.......

just my 2 cents....

by you saying this, is almost asking that you want gw2 to fail. although he has his own personal opinion, you shouldn't be to quick to judge people like that. as a gw2 fan that you seem to be, should try to show people the psoitive impact gw2 can offer, instead of saying "i hope people like you don't play the game, cause it will ruin it for everyone." i for 1 is a little turned off but people is convincing me to try the game out. i even said the game was just probably another copy and paste mmo, but people is still telling me to try it out since it isn't. see the difference. be more helpful bro

• fenistilfenistil Member Posts: 3,005

Originally posted by strangepower

It's a troll looking for attention, note the font screaming " please look at me." and the "1st" post.

Furthermore the entire rant is entirely subjective and most likely a projection of his unique personal experience.

+1

OP post is basically badly cloaked GW2 praising coupled with flame-bait.

• AzmodaiAzmodai Member UncommonPosts: 154

"When i say free aim I mean for Example TERA" then GW2 as free aim, if you choose to play like that but it is superior to TERA's mechanic

TBH i wont reason with you, I mean no matter what you say about how bad TERA is, at LEAST everyone knows that its combat is amazing, now ur telling me that a Tab target game has better "action combat" than a non Tab game? I rest my case, I don't see how I can reason with someone who thinks that GW is 100% perfect. No matter how much of a Fan you are, you cant just make such obviously wrong assumptions. Its like saying Battlefield 3's Story is better than SWTOR. Don't assume that its Better just because you like it.

• illeriller Member UncommonPosts: 517

oversized Comic Sans....

this is my kinda Troll! :D

...I just can't tell which demographic he's trolling hardest. 

Confused scrub? or Genius?...  I DON'T KNOW!

• LeodiousLeodious Member UncommonPosts: 773

It is still too big.

And everyone hates comic sans. Everyone. It's a running joke among anyone who deals with fonts, typesets, or proofreading.

Just use the default font. Different fonts and colors are just screaming for attention or trying to make a troll more annoying. Don't do it.

Don't you ever do it.

"There are two great powers, and they've been fighting since time began. Every advance in human life, every scrap of knowledge and wisdom and decency we have has been torn by one side from the teeth of the other. Every little increase in human freedom has been fought over ferociously between those who want us to know more and be wiser and stronger, and those who want us to obey and be humble and submit."

— John Parry, to his son Will; "The Subtle Knife," by Phillip Pullman

• BetaguyBetaguy Member UncommonPosts: 2,629

GW2 cannot fail, it didn't cost 200 million to produce......

"The King and the Pawn return to the same box at the end of the game"

• KuinnKuinn Member UncommonPosts: 2,072

@OP: Just no. GW2 being different in many areas is not a bad thing. You have tons of mmorpgs to pick from that has mandatory geargrind for both PvE and PvP, games where gear determines how good player you are, games where you can blame someone else for your own failure, etc etc all the points you listed that "bad players" love. We dont need every game to be like these, and thank god it's about to change. There are tons of people like me who want change, who disagree completely with this shopping list for a frustrated gaming experience.

Originally posted by Kuinn

@OP: Just no. GW2 being different in many areas is not a bad thing. You have tons of mmorpgs to pick from that has mandatory geargrind for both PvE and PvP, games where gear determines how good player you are, games where you can blame someone else for your own failure, etc etc all the points you listed that "bad players" love. We dont need every game to be like these, and thank god it's about to change. There are tons of people like me who want change, who disagree completely with this shopping list for a frustrated gaming experience.

+1

Just my 2 cents...

• DanitaKusorDanitaKusor Member UncommonPosts: 556

What does a game have to do to fail exactly?

Not make a profit? GW2 will almost certainly do that just from box sales

Not get X amount of subscribers? Seeing it has no subscription fee it can't really fail at this.

Free to play after some set amount of time?  Well it starts as free to play so yeah...

Name one of the recent "failed" MMOs that have actually failed.

Aion?  Still running.

Age of Conan?  Still running

Warhammer Online?  Still running

SW:TOR?  Still running

and so on

The Enlightened take things Lightly