Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Firefly universe release date

KarahandrasKarahandras Member UncommonPosts: 1,703

26/12/12

Don't know if this has already been stated here or not, so please ignore if it has.  

Comments

• EmwynEmwyn Member Posts: 546

I loved Firefly <3 Sad it was cancelled. But who are Darkcryo? No clue. Even their Meet the Crew page says nothing much about them. AFAIK they have no license for this game and apart from the trailer is there any info at all? Concept art? Anything? Maybe I am missing some info that is available somewhere but I know not where. Would love a good Firefly MMO, if it were sandbox all the better. Hate to say it but I will have to remain cautious on this one for now.

the poster formerly known as melangel :P

• CujoSWAoACujoSWAoA Member UncommonPosts: 1,781

they had a release trailer 2 or so months ago.

they had a december release date in the trailer.

• SuperGuppySuperGuppy Member Posts: 33

They do not have the liscense and i hope they dont get it. I love the firefly universe (screw you fox network) and would hate to see some thrown together underdeveloped peice of software not do it justice.

• DragonantisDragonantis Member UncommonPosts: 974

Woot Firelfy!

Yet another reason to be cheeful for christmas :)

• raistlinmraistlinm Member Posts: 673

Originally posted by Karahandras

26/12/12

Don't know if this has already been stated here or not, so please ignore if it has.  

I used to see tons of commercials for this show and was always really close to checking it out but it never passed the "look" test for me much like some other popular sci fi shows with me if they don't look right it's hard to wath and while the plot and universe often looked interesting I couold never get into the look of the props etc..  just gave me the feeling i would end up like trekkies (yes Star Trek has a tendancy to turn me off of sci fi as well from the look of much of it).

• GeezerGamerGeezerGamer Member EpicPosts: 8,855

Originally posted by SuperGuppy

They do not have the liscense and i hope they dont get it. I love the firefly universe (screw you fox network) and would hate to see some thrown together underdeveloped peice of software not do it justice.

BSGO anyone?

Originally posted by raistlinm

I used to see tons of commercials for this show and was always really close to checking it out but it never passed the "look" test for me much like some other popular sci fi shows with me if they don't look right it's hard to wath and while the plot and universe often looked interesting I couold never get into the look of the props etc..  just gave me the feeling i would end up like trekkies (yes Star Trek has a tendancy to turn me off of sci fi as well from the look of much of it).

maybe you would be like a trekkie version of a Firefly fan who knows :). I am not ashamed to admit I own the series on dvd. Still love it.  Don't love Nielsen families or whoever the heck decides what shows are "good" and Fox too for listening to these people as if no one else's opinion matters. Helpless here in Europe if we happen to like a US show and the Nielsen voters hate it. Sick to tears of talent shows which seem to be the only thing going both sides of the pond now. Firefly was way better then Simon Cowell who seems to be everywhere! Replace him with Firefly please. While I'm at it, please send back Torchwood! :(

From the FAQ it seems Firefly Universe will be in their words "primarily cooperative multiplayer". Co-op sandbox, is that possible?

While Firefly Universe Online is designed primarily for cooperative multiplayer, we will be building in support for competitive player-vs.-player gameplay as well. We're focusing on a balanced "circle of life" star system, and are being careful to avoid PvP features that can easily lead to griefing, such as the ability to go hostile at will.

superguppy yes it would be terrible if it were some thrown together underdeveloped peice of software. It would be better to have no game at all.

• Johnie-MarzJohnie-Marz Member UncommonPosts: 865

Definately some red flags.

A video but very little information about the actual game, and it is supposed to be released this year. 

I would love a firefly MMO, but I would think twice before Pre-Ordering this one or doing a Paid Beta. 

• Games888Games888 Member Posts: 243

Good ip hope it doesnt play like Startrek lol.

• TheDubanat0rTheDubanat0r Member Posts: 76

All you guys know that The Science Channel Picked up the FireFly seriers right? They have all ready put out a new season. 

• SlampigSlampig Member UncommonPosts: 2,342

Originally posted by TheDubanat0r

All you guys know that The Science Channel Picked up the FireFly seriers right? They have all ready put out a new season. 

All lies. 

That Guild Wars 2 login screen knocked up my wife. Must be the second coming!

• NadiaNadia Member UncommonPosts: 11,798

2 different developers are making different Firefly mmos and neither have rights to the IP

seen at a firefly news site

http://fireflymmo.com/

Multiverse Closes; Code Continues

January 8th, 2012 – 1:36 pm

So news came through in early January that Multiverse, developers of the Firefly MMO - and the Buffy one as well - had closed down. And the same day, word came that the code had been picked up by the newly formed, volunteer-run Multiverse Foundation. Who, at time of writing, have a website with the first actual non-ironic “under construction” signs I’ve seen since the 90s.

Like the Rogue Firefly MMO - which still has a working website, at least - they don’t have rights to the IP, only the code.

I’m no more convinced by this than by the rogue game, to be honest, but at least it’s SOME news. Let’s hope the Multiverse Foundation is a little better at communications than their predecessors.

sure they didn't just replay the original?

• AlBQuirkyAlBQuirky Member EpicPosts: 7,432

http://science.discovery.com/tv/firefly/

You realize they are showing the 13 episodes already made. I saw no mention of any "new season."

Heck, Cpt Mal is busy with Castle, Zoe is on Suits (A USA show), but Jane is about done with Chuck.

- Al

Personally the only modern MMORPG trend that annoys me is the idea that MMOs need to be designed in a way to attract people who don't actually like MMOs. Which to me makes about as much sense as someone trying to figure out a way to get vegetarians to eat at their steakhouse.
    - FARGIN_WAR

• ThaneThane Member EpicPosts: 3,534

Originally posted by AlBQuirky

http://science.discovery.com/tv/firefly/

You realize they are showing the 13 episodes already made. I saw no mention of any "new season."

Heck, Cpt Mal is busy with Castle, Zoe is on Suits (A USA show), but Jane is about done with Chuck.

there once was a web project about season 2, no idea what happened to it tho, mal is busy solving cases with his sexy cop anyway :P

“Step 2: Cancel Castle. Step 3: Cancel Homeland. Step 4: Generally destroy everybody’s careers. Step 5: Avoid Step 2”

(joss whedon about  how to make firefly season 2 happen)

"I'll never grow up, never grow up, never grow up! Not me!"

• KarahandrasKarahandras Member UncommonPosts: 1,703

Whilst I don't disagree, I have to say having a license hasn't exactly made a lot of difference so far.

• KarahandrasKarahandras Member UncommonPosts: 1,703

Originally posted by GeezerGamer

BSGO anyone?

It does scream browser game doesn't it.