Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Open Beta(trial)? Blizzard was honest with Diablo 3, how about Arenanet???

Comments

• synfulsynful Member UncommonPosts: 15

To tell you the truth I do not buy a game without doing the beta or playing the demo first I work hard for my money and I also value my time spent on a game so with that said ,,,,DON'T WAIST MY TIME OR MONEY.....No beta No Demo No Buy simple...

• WolfynsongWolfynsong Member Posts: 237

ArenaNet has already said there will not be an open beta in the traditional sense.  They will use NDA-free Beta Weekend events to do their testing.

I don't see how this is 'dishonest' in any way.  It's basically an open beta, but they're limiting the number of people they will have clogging up their servers and forums.  Personally, I think it is smart.  They will be largely hearing feedback from people who are already invested in the game, and thus also want to ensure that it is as good as possible at release.  At the same time they have effectively weeded out the majority of those beta 'testers' who will do nothing but complain and/or offer ridiculous feedback for 'improvements.'

After all, aren't the paying customers the ones who ArenaNet wants to please?

• NadiaNadia Member UncommonPosts: 11,798

gw2 doesnt even have a release date yet

why assume what it WONT offer on release for demo?

• Chrome1980Chrome1980 Member Posts: 511

Originally posted by Nerovipus

I'm not calling you a troll becuse you are disagreeing with me, i'm calling you a trolling because you are spreading lies. The game is not a concept, everything they said would be in the game is in the game..it's not a concept like you call it. do you even know what the word means?

Stop embarrassing yourself and read the previous post which i edited. I didn't use the 'mostly finished concept' phrase. infact it was used by another guy and i simply commented on that till you decided to butt in and get personal.

Sorry but it is time to hit report button now since you are more interested in flaming than having a proper discussion.

• fenistilfenistil Member Posts: 3,005

Originally posted by colddog04

I'm with you and I paid for a pre-purchase. I found the whole concept strange. And I also hope that it doesn't become the trend. 

But then I was going to buy it no matter what anyway. This is just one of those rare games where I act like an idiot and say, "TAKE ALL MY MONEY!"

Too late.

It WILL become a trend.

You put a small brick to it as well.

Don't get me wrong I did as well as I also pre-purcharse but thing is there is always certain % of people that will buy pre-purcharse. Cause there are people that find other than GW2 games also worhty of "take all my money" like you did with GW2.

• DarkPonyDarkPony Member Posts: 5,566
  • BeansnBreadBeansnBread Member EpicPosts: 7,254

Originally posted by fenistil

I'm with you and I paid for a pre-purchase. I found the whole concept strange. And I also hope that it doesn't become the trend. 

But then I was going to buy it no matter what anyway. This is just one of those rare games where I act like an idiot and say, "TAKE ALL MY MONEY!"

Too late.

It WILL become a trend.

You put a small brick to it as well.

Don't get me wrong I did as well as I also pre-purcharse but thing is there is always certain % of people that will buy pre-purcharse. Cause there are people that find other than GW2 games also worhty of "take all my money" like you did with GW2.

Like the other guy said, it's also a pretty good model for the company itself. The BETA testers already have some skin in the game. That way they have an interest in making it better.

I'm just surprised they were able to get away with it so easily. I give credit to their marketing and the quality of the game that they put in the hands of the Press. They also tend to be very open overall and it's not like I'm locking myself into a subscription.

But yeah, I am now part of a trend that may or may not be good for gaming overall.

Originally posted by Chrome1980

I'm not calling you a troll becuse you are disagreeing with me, i'm calling you a trolling because you are spreading lies. The game is not a concept, everything they said would be in the game is in the game..it's not a concept like you call it. do you even know what the word means?

Stop embarrassing yourself and read the previous post which i edited. I didn't use the 'mostly finished concept' phrase. infact it was used by another guy and i simply commented on that till you decided to butt in and get personal.

Sorry but it is time to hit report button now since you are more interested in flaming than having a proper discussion.

I don't know since when paying for a 'mostly finished concept' became a standard over paying for mostly finished game. I just hope that other companies do not follow Anet in this.

Yes you did use the term mostly finished concept..man you're a liar aswell as a troll.

it doesn't matter if someone else used it you still used it to describe the game.

Oh please give it up. you won't lose your manhood for accepting you messed up on internet. I like how you cut the original quote. Yes i used the quote to reply to the guy i was having discussion with. It was more like a question to him. Till you decided to completey ruin a civil discussion.

Originally posted by Meleagar

I still say that to charge full price for a game that is still 'work in progress' doesn't sit well with me.

I see it more as offering an opportunity for the fan base to invest in a mostly-finished game concept. IOW, Anet is in effect saying, "Hey, if you like what all the videos show about this game, what it is, what our concept is, etc., then pre-purchase it as a demonstration to us and our publishers and distributors that this is what you want and that it is going to be a success. It will keep the publisher off our back, give us the financial breathing room to fully finish the game before release, and re-inviogorate our enthusiasm and faith in our vision of the game."

I have no problem ivesting my $60 in what I've seen so far. I invest in lots of things on far less good info than I've gotten from Anet about GW2.

Originally posted by synful

To tell you the truth I do not buy a game without doing the beta or playing the demo first I work hard for my money and I also value my time spent on a game so with that said ,,,,DON'T WAIST MY TIME OR MONEY.....No beta No Demo No Buy simple...

Yeah, dollars do become pounds when they go to waist - and nobody wants that!

Anyway, the game isn't finished and doesn't have a release date yet.  You're assuming there will be no demo or trial available at any time, when that is almost certainly not true.  It just doesn't exist yet.

If you won't buy the game without playing a demo first, then just wait for one to be released.

• EzekelEzekel Member Posts: 98

Even if it becomes a trend who cares? They are not giving Pre-Purchasers extra content or Leet Gear or anything like that, just access to Beta Weekends.

ANET is not an unlimited funded company, they didn't have 200 million to make this game. Most likely they were starting to run out of time and money and decided to turn to the fans to allow them the last few months of polish.

Civil discussion on a game you have no interest in and calling it a mostly finished concept..you sir are a troll.

HAhaha..so i put the original quote right in your face and you still go on like a broken record? can't you read or you just wilfully ignoring it to be an irritation on purpose? also only because i disagree with practise of paying full price for a game which is work in progress and has no release date doesn't mean i dislike the game itself or have no interest in it.

Maybe if you were less emotional you will see point of other people without labeling them trolls.

• DerpybirdDerpybird Member Posts: 991

You realize that this entire thread was started by someone who has already stated:

"I have waited for GW2. However, i will not buy it because i dont like what i will get. But that's just me.

I think lots of peoples will buy it expecting next gen mmo. But they will be disappointed as soon as they reach max level.

I dont want to turn away fanboys, but for me the game fail because:

- instances everywhere

- delevel/uplevel

- no world pvp/ open conflict

- pve only in hub zones

- solo unfriendly

- lame combat system with active dodge ( dungeon with no tank/healer are just way to chaotic). this will draw many many players away, not just me.

- no raids??"

I would say that their mission is accomplished.

"Loading screens" are not "instances".
    Your personal efforts to troll any game will not, in fact, impact the success or failure of said game.

• JetrpgJetrpg Member UncommonPosts: 2,347

Originally posted by catplay

I will not gonna spend my money with out trying that game.

I've seen so many fanboys/haters comments, i really don't fallow any of them until i don't "feel" the game myself.

So will be there an open beta/trial or Arenanet want to hide something from potential players just to get their money like they did with pre-purchasing the game with out playing?

Blizzard was honest, they did open beta, they never had NDA for Diablo3, basically, they said "thats the game, play it, you like it, buy it".

Is wicked how not even GW1 didnt received any kind of trial/beta .. just because they spent money on all GW1 expansions or something.

The game is at least 6 months from a  release lets be honest. how many beta events (open to all pre-order beta weekend events) did diablo 3 have 6 months out... why is blizzard so hush hush about there game? I don't understand. Oh thats right you want to ignore the black cat in the room, the fact that Anet has been Multitudes more open and loose with info than blizzard was 6 months pre-release.

Oh well be dam the facts i have rhetoric and a good grasp on manufactured ignorance, troll troll troll.

"Society in every state is a blessing, but government even in its best state is but a necessary evil; in its worst state an intolerable one ..." - Thomas Paine

• RequiamerRequiamer Member Posts: 2,034

Originally posted by evolver1972

Seems to me you have quite a few options.  You can rely on the gameplay videos, etc., but you've said you don't want to do that so that perfectly reasonable route is out of the picture.  You can sign up for the BWEs and hope to get in on one.  It's a possibilty, though probably kind of slim that you will actually get in.  You could wait until they announce a fully open beta, if they do - we don't know if they will or not.  Or you could wait until the game is released, I'm betting they'll offer a free trial of the game through their website.  At least, that's what they ended up doing with GW1.

I do have to say this though....betas are not a trial.  They aren't there to appease your need to try out the game before you buy it.  They are there for the devs to figure out what bugs may be in the game and what kind of polish they need to put on it yet.  Do you never buy a game without playing a trial first?  In this case, it's like buying a console game that you haven't tried, since there's not subscription to go with it.  In fact, most MMOs would fall under that description since most of the subs offer the first month free when buying the box.

I wonder though...judging by your post, you assume that Arenanet is maybe just out to rip people off.  This in the face of all the facts out there about the game and the rep of that company.  Are you just maybe trolling or not able to ask the question a little more objectively?

I am not trolling at all.

If i like the game i will buy it. If i dont like the game i will not.

The point is, i want to try it myself.

And yeah, not allowing me to try and force me to buy it, make me really suspicious, especially after i lost money on a few mmos this last years.

So sign up for the beta, and if you are not taken in, then wait for a trial, i don't know a single mmo that don't have a trial more than a year after its release. In any case GW1 have a trail, so it seam logical they will have one for GW2.

Chrome, you are getting fanboyed to death.

Civil discussion on a game you have no interest in and calling it a mostly finished concept..you sir are a troll.

Umm... just going to butt in here for a moment, as an unbiased external source, and say that you really did take his initial post the wrong way.  Chrome is correct, you're kind of making a fool of yourself.

• Skarecrow7Skarecrow7 Member UncommonPosts: 339

Originally posted by Charlizzard

Originally posted by BadSpock

Then why the continued arguing? Your question(s) have been answered.

Perhaps if you look at their post history your question will be answered.

Is that one of those Zen things?

• JetrpgJetrpg Member UncommonPosts: 2,347

HAhaha..so i put the original quote right in your face and you still go on like a broken record? can't you read or you just wilfully ignoring it to be an irritation on purpose? also only because i disagree with practise of paying full price for a game which is work in progress and has no release date doesn't mean i dislike the game itself or have no interest in it.

Maybe if you were less emotional you will see point of other people without labeling them trolls.

why would i see your point, i have played the game i like the game so i pre-purchased it. get over yourself.

I think it is you who need to get over yourself because i have no problem if you liked the game and pre purchased it. You are just creating a strawman now to keep on arguing for argument sake. I am talking about the practise itself and not about your own personal likes or dislikes of GW2.

I htink every one here is allowed to post their opinions as much as you.

Answer me how many press weekend, and non nda beta weekends (for anyone who pre-ordered and more) did bilzard have for d3 6 months ago?

You'll find the answer proves the facts you base your agrument without merit. Thus you are wrong sir, go else where, you have been vanquised from this land.

"Society in every state is a blessing, but government even in its best state is but a necessary evil; in its worst state an intolerable one ..." - Thomas Paine

• AmjocoAmjoco Member UncommonPosts: 4,860

Originally posted by xr00t3dx

I will not gonna spend my money with out trying that game.

I've seen so many fanboys/haters comments, i really don't fallow any of them until i don't "feel" the game myself.

So will be there an open beta/trial or Arenanet want to hide something from potential players just to get their money like they did with pre-purchasing the game with out playing?

Blizzard was honest, they did open beta, they never had NDA for Diablo3, basically, they said "thats the game, play it, you like it, buy it".

Is wicked how not even GW1 didnt received any kind of trial/beta .. just because they spent money on all GW1 expansions or something.

I tried to read this shit but damn man. When you want to be heard it's recommend to show up with your shirt tucked in and your shoes tied. 

International forum. Sometimes you have to go to the party shirtless and barefoot. Give him a break, we are not all from Smallsville USA

Death is nothing to us, since when we are, Death has not come, and when death has come, we are not.

Originally posted by Jetrpg

why would i see your point, i have played the game i like the game so i pre-purchased it. get over yourself.

I think it is you who need to get over yourself because i have no problem if you liked the game and pre purchased it. You are just creating a strawman now to keep on arguing for argument sake. I am talking about the practise itself and not about your own personal likes or dislikes of GW2.

Answer me how many press weekend, and non nda beta weekends (for anyone who pre-ordered and more) did bilzard have for d3 6 months ago?

You'll find the answer proves the facts you base your agrument without merit. Thus you are wrong sir, go else where, you have been vanquised from this land.

How many BETAs did Blizzard ask people to pay to play?

• ElderRatElderRat Member CommonPosts: 899

GW1 had a beta - I participated in it.

Currently bored with MMO's.

Originally posted by Jetrpg

Answer me how many press weekend, and non nda beta weekends (for anyone who pre-ordered and more) did billzard have for d3 6 months ago?

What facts? that Anet released a lot of videos and information? a lot of other companies do that before release but that doesn't mean that i personally find it ok to pay for a game without a release date and that is not just aimed at GW2 . So on personal basis my argument still has a merit doesn't mean i am physically stoping you or others from buying the game.

Learn to accept other people's viewpoint maybe that itself will solve most of the bickering.

This thread needs to just be locked.  I'm getting dizzy from watching all of you go around in circles...

Chrome, you are getting fanboyed to death.

Yeah same as usual then lol. Sad part is i am looking for ward to the game but hey you are not allowed to have your opinions if it goes against the opinions of fanbase.

Assimilate or get flamed.

• DerpybirdDerpybird Member Posts: 991

Originally posted by Skarecrow7

Originally posted by Charlizzard

Originally posted by BadSpock

Then why the continued arguing? Your question(s) have been answered.

Perhaps if you look at their post history your question will be answered.

Is that one of those Zen things?

Yes. When you have fully pondered the first statement, consider the following:

Two hands clap and there is a sound. What is the sound of one hand?

"Loading screens" are not "instances".
    Your personal efforts to troll any game will not, in fact, impact the success or failure of said game.

This discussion has been closed.