Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Open Beta(trial)? Blizzard was honest with Diablo 3, how about Arenanet???

Comments

• Chrome1980Chrome1980 Member Posts: 511

I still say that to charge full price for a game that is still 'work in progress' doesn't sit well with me.

• HurvartHurvart Member Posts: 565

Originally posted by catplay

Originally posted by evolver1972

Seems to me you have quite a few options.  You can rely on the gameplay videos, etc., but you've said you don't want to do that so that perfectly reasonable route is out of the picture.  You can sign up for the BWEs and hope to get in on one.  It's a possibilty, though probably kind of slim that you will actually get in.  You could wait until they announce a fully open beta, if they do - we don't know if they will or not.  Or you could wait until the game is released, I'm betting they'll offer a free trial of the game through their website.  At least, that's what they ended up doing with GW1.

I do have to say this though....betas are not a trial.  They aren't there to appease your need to try out the game before you buy it.  They are there for the devs to figure out what bugs may be in the game and what kind of polish they need to put on it yet.  Do you never buy a game without playing a trial first?  In this case, it's like buying a console game that you haven't tried, since there's not subscription to go with it.  In fact, most MMOs would fall under that description since most of the subs offer the first month free when buying the box.

I wonder though...judging by your post, you assume that Arenanet is maybe just out to rip people off.  This in the face of all the facts out there about the game and the rep of that company.  Are you just maybe trolling or not able to ask the question a little more objectively?

I am not trolling at all.

If i like the game i will buy it. If i dont like the game i will not.

The point is, i want to try it myself.

And yeah, not allowing me to try and force me to buy it, make me really suspicious, especially after i lost money on a few mmos this last years.

You are right. Buy the game when its finished if you like it. No reason to pay in advance when there is no release date and a lot of things are unknown. Spending money based on blind faith is not very prudent, IMO.  But its your money...

• BadSpockBadSpock Member UncommonPosts: 7,979

Originally posted by BadSpock

And yeah, not allowing me to try and force me to buy it, make me really suspicious, especially after i lost money on a few mmos this last years.

Point is you are asking for information that no one knows yet.

In order to play right now, you have to pre-purchase.

No one knows if there is going to be a truly open beta or not.

It really is that simple.

Thats why i ask, maybe some one knows and can share that info.

Then why the continued arguing? Your question(s) have been answered.

No one knows 100% for sure whether or not GW2 will have a truly open beta, but A.net did at one point say that they were not planning on ever having a full, completely open and free public beta testing phase.

May change, but don't plan on it.

If you refuse to purchase without playing yourself, which is logical and wise if you are adverse to taking a risk on something like this,  you may be SOL unless you can grab a beta key from a website or promotion or some such.

• NerovipusNerovipus Member Posts: 35

Originally posted by joocheese

Originally posted by Meleagar

If ANET was honest, they'd GIVE everyone the game and then just ask for donations for however much the individual thought it was worth. And then they'd refuse the donation and double our donation back to us. I mean, you know, if they were really serious about being honest. Then they'd put us all on the payroll and pay us to play.

wow...

All I've got to say (can say really) is Meleagar = Troll

No sense, no reason, no purpose, just pure, simple, unadulterated trolling

sarcasm is wasted on you.

• RedempRedemp Member UncommonPosts: 1,136

Deleted --- I need to learn to ignore the people who annoy me.

• KuppaKuppa Member UncommonPosts: 3,292

Point is you are asking for information that no one knows yet.

In order to play right now, you have to pre-purchase.

No one knows if there is going to be a truly open beta or not.

It really is that simple.

Thats why i ask, maybe some one knows and can share that info.

??? are you at a lost for words? How is any one here know unless they work for Anet and even if they do why would they tell you??

• DerpybirdDerpybird Member Posts: 991

Perhaps if you look at their post history your question will be answered.

"Loading screens" are not "instances".
    Your personal efforts to troll any game will not, in fact, impact the success or failure of said game.

Originally posted by evolver1972

Seems to me you have quite a few options.  You can rely on the gameplay videos, etc., but you've said you don't want to do that so that perfectly reasonable route is out of the picture.  You can sign up for the BWEs and hope to get in on one.  It's a possibilty, though probably kind of slim that you will actually get in.  You could wait until they announce a fully open beta, if they do - we don't know if they will or not.  Or you could wait until the game is released, I'm betting they'll offer a free trial of the game through their website.  At least, that's what they ended up doing with GW1.

I do have to say this though....betas are not a trial.  They aren't there to appease your need to try out the game before you buy it.  They are there for the devs to figure out what bugs may be in the game and what kind of polish they need to put on it yet.  Do you never buy a game without playing a trial first?  In this case, it's like buying a console game that you haven't tried, since there's not subscription to go with it.  In fact, most MMOs would fall under that description since most of the subs offer the first month free when buying the box.

I wonder though...judging by your post, you assume that Arenanet is maybe just out to rip people off.  This in the face of all the facts out there about the game and the rep of that company.  Are you just maybe trolling or not able to ask the question a little more objectively?

It's closed beta they don't just let everybody in. when it goes into open beta im sure keys will be made available. you'll just have to hang tight until then, so stop whining.

• IPolygonIPolygon Member UncommonPosts: 707

The upcoming beta is not under any NDA, so you'll see people talking freely about it. Content-wise, D3 open beta was a joke to what's coming with the first public beta of GW2.

Originally posted by Redemp

Deleted --- I need to learn to ignore the people who annoy me.

Talking about industry standards..is it a standard to charge full price for a game with no release date and still 'work in progress'.

edit ; Ahh you edited your post. ;(

I don't know why people are comparing diablo 3 and guild wars 2 betas..diablo 3 is not an mmo.

• KuppaKuppa Member UncommonPosts: 3,292

Originally posted by Charlizzard

Perhaps if you look at their post history your question will be answered.

ahhh, thank you kind sir image

• MeleagarMeleagar Member Posts: 407

Originally posted by Chrome1980

I still say that to charge full price for a game that is still 'work in progress' doesn't sit well with me.

I see it more as offering an opportunity for the fan base to invest in a mostly-finished game concept. IOW, Anet is in effect saying, "Hey, if you like what all the videos show about this game, what it is, what our concept is, etc., then pre-purchase it as a demonstration to us and our publishers and distributors that this is what you want and that it is going to be a success. It will keep the publisher off our back, give us the financial breathing room to fully finish the game before release, and re-inviogorate our enthusiasm and faith in our vision of the game."

I have no problem ivesting my $60 in what I've seen so far. I invest in lots of things on far less good info than I've gotten from Anet about GW2.

• grapevinegrapevine Member UncommonPosts: 1,927

Originally posted by monarc333

Can't the OP prepurchase the game, try the beta, and if he doesnt like the game, cancel his purchase? After all the game is not coming out for a couple months.

Certainly can't if they are in the EU, as they charge full price for the pre-purchase.   Which is non-refundable if you open the box.  Which you need to do, to get they key to get into beta.

So personally don't think they are being as "honest" as Blizzard was.  If you don't like it, you are left with having bought it.  They are also charging for something that doesn't have a release date, and get the (full) money as soon as you pre-order.

Why are people complaining about pre-purchase?, no one is forcing you to buy the game. Pre purchasing is good for the fans who have already decided they will be buying the game. if you haven't decided that you will buy the game then thats your own dilema.

• PurgatusPurgatus Member Posts: 342

This is partly a change is what Open Betas have become. There were supposed to be phases of development where bug could be tested on a larger scale. Now they are just ways for impatient people (like me) to get their hands on a game before release and marketing schemes.

A-Net doesn't owe us anything. Games are not required to let us play them before we buy. Some do, and thats great.

• Skarecrow7Skarecrow7 Member UncommonPosts: 339

Originally posted by GenreNinja

I will not gonna spend my money with out trying that game.

I've seen so many fanboys/haters comments, i really don't fallow any of them until i don't "feel" the game myself.

So will be there an open beta/trial or Arenanet want to hide something from potential players just to get their money like they did with pre-purchasing the game with out playing?

Blizzard was honest, they did open beta, they never had NDA for Diablo3, basically, they said "thats the game, play it, you like it, buy it".

Is wicked how not even GW1 didnt received any kind of trial/beta .. just because they spent money on all GW1 expansions or something.

This is where I judge much people for being an ill-informed and selfish consumers.

Beta is not a trial. Period. End of story.  The MMORPG market has blurred the definition of beta, and it deserve this "you owe me a beta to try the game" attitude so much of the audience has adopted.

Tons, hell the majority, of games have been released and almost all of them offered the game for pre-order without any public beta, much less an open beta. It's not a new concept, it's not wicked, it's not evil, it's not corrup. They don't owe you a trial.

When you pre-purchase the game, you do exactly that: pre-purchase the game. And one of the perks, is access to the beta, not a trial, but the beta. Not a preview. But the beta. They need people in game, to test the limits of the game. Millions of people want in, and chances are, they aren't ready for millions of people to be in yet. So, to reward those people who are dedicated to the brand, and pre-purchase the game, they get beta access as a perk of buying the game as opposed to selecting random people who may not even be interested in getting the game. It's actually a sound decision on there part and I commend them for sticking to their guns. The only people who will be there, are people who truely want to be there, not people "on the fence" and still convinced they deserve a trial before spending their money on an unreleased game. But people who know they want to play the game, and want it to be a great game. The people who are unsure if they want to play it, they can wait for the game to be finished, so when they do judge the game, they judge it's finished product, not it's work in progress.

Amen

I see it more as offering an opportunity for the fan base to invest in a mostly-finished game concept. IOW, Anet is in effect saying, "Hey, if you like what all the videos show about this game, what it is, what our concept is, etc., then pre-purchase it as a demonstration to us and our publishers and distributors that this is what you want and that it is going to be a success. It will keep the publisher off our back, give us the financial breathing room to fully finish the game before release, and re-inviogorate our enthusiasm and faith in our vision of the game."

I have no problem ivesting my $60 in what I've seen so far. I invest in lots of things on far less good info than I've gotten from Anet about GW2.

I don't know since when paying for a 'mostly finished concept' became a standard over paying for mostly finished game. I just hope that other companies do not follow Anet in this.

Originally posted by Purgatus

This is partly a change is what Open Betas have become. There were supposed to be phases of development where bug could be tested on a larger scale. Now they are just ways for impatient people (like me) to get their hands on a game before release and marketing schemes.

A-Net doesn't owe us anything. Games are not required to let us play them before we buy. Some do, and thats great.

It's not open beta though the game is still in closed beta.

• Skarecrow7Skarecrow7 Member UncommonPosts: 339

Originally posted by joocheese

If ANET was honest, they'd GIVE everyone the game and then just ask for donations for however much the individual thought it was worth. And then they'd refuse the donation and double our donation back to us. I mean, you know, if they were really serious about being honest. Then they'd put us all on the payroll and pay us to play.

wow...

All I've got to say (can say really) is Meleagar = Troll

No sense, no reason, no purpose, just pure, simple, unadulterated trolling

That was sarcasm, in case you didn't get it. It wasn't supposed to be taken seriously. Remember humor?

We need a sarcasm font!

Originally posted by Nerovipus

I don't know since when paying for a 'mostly finished concept' became a standard over paying for mostly finished game. I just hope that other companies do not follow Anet in this.

Again no one is forcing you to buy it, some people have played guild wars 2 and like what they have seen, and are willing to buy the game. why do you have a problem with that? mostly finished concept? that's just pathetic trolling.

I know no one is forcing me to buy it but doesn't mean that i personally agree with concept of charging a full price for a game which is still work in progress. I thought this was an open forum to express opinions.So i am giving mine. Did i call you a troll even though i disagree with you?

When people usually run out of things to say they resort to 'you are a troll' or 'you are a fanboy'.

• NadiaNadia Member UncommonPosts: 11,798

as I said earlier. BLIZZARD did the same thing for StarCraft2

people could buy SC2 before a release date was known and be *guaranteed* closed beta access

ANET isnt  starting a new trend

• RaekonRaekon Member UncommonPosts: 531

I will not gonna spend my money with out trying that game.

I've seen so many fanboys/haters comments, i really don't fallow any of them until i don't "feel" the game myself.

So will be there an open beta/trial or Arenanet want to hide something from potential players just to get their money like they did with pre-purchasing the game with out playing?

Blizzard was honest, they did open beta, they never had NDA for Diablo3, basically, they said "thats the game, play it, you like it, buy it".

Is wicked how not even GW1 didnt received any kind of trial/beta .. just because they spent money on all GW1 expansions or something.

First of all I'm amazed by seeing how much some people are embarassing themselves when they are running around trying to find a "hidden evil" to put down a game they didn't care enough to inform themselves about.

Secondly, your post shows that you are comparing two games that have nothing in common (Diablo 3 is NOT a mmo, it's a hack N slay dungeon crawler) in the first place.

Third you are posting such things before you inform yourself properly or know anything about GW1 (as it seems) or GW2.

To your information:

- After the release of prophecies, ANet offered a trial for people that didn't bought the game.

The trial was limited to a few hours as far as I remember (or 3 days or so) and the reason I'm totaly sure about it was because I meet such people and I helped them through the game as also gave them all nessecary information on how something works, what comes next in their journey from the spot they managed to reach short before their trial endet or general information about mechanics.

The game was THAT good, that people that were in the trial "bothered" to get another trial session (it was possible) and restart only to try out everything they can.

I'm not sure if the same will happen immediately for GW2 after the release BUT, this forums are filled with TONS of informations, youtube and other hosts are filled with tons of footage, commentary, real gameplay of both pve and pvp.

You had two possibilities to register for the beta before and if you had registered before you will probably end up to be a part of the last beta weekend like they did back in GW 1 (it's like an "open beta" to everyone) so you still have chanced to try out the game if you didn't prepurchased.

As you can see we were given more than one CHOICES and no one tried to hide anything.

ANet isn't a "copy, polish and paste" company like Blizzard after all.

So if you liked your hack n slay game, go and play it but PLEASE try to inform yourself first before you make such postings about any game again.

The informations are all out there, take advantage of them.

• BeansnBreadBeansnBread Member EpicPosts: 7,254

Again no one is forcing you to buy it, some people have played guild wars 2 and like what they have seen, and are willing to buy the game. why do you have a problem with that? mostly finished concept? that's just pathetic trolling.

I know no one is forcing me to buy it but doesn't mean that i personally agree with concept of charging a full price for a game which is still work in progress. I thought this was an open forum to express opinions.So i am giving mine. Did i call you a troll even though i disagree with you?

When people usually run out of things to say they resort to 'you are a troll' or 'you are a fanboy'.

I'm with you and I paid for a pre-purchase. I found the whole concept strange. And I also hope that it doesn't become the trend. 

But then I was going to buy it no matter what anyway. This is just one of those rare games where I act like an idiot and say, "TAKE ALL MY MONEY!"

I know no one is forcing me to buy it but doesn't mean that i personally agree with concept of charging a full price for a game which is still work in progress. I thought this was an open forum to express opinions.

obviously im a fanboy i am a fan of the game. A mostly  finished concept? a concept is an idea that hasn't been put into action, i have seen and played the action that you describe as a concept. so yes you are trolling with that description

Only when people disagree with you over something doesn't mean they are trolling. That means i don't think on same line as you. For you paying for un finished game with no release date might be ok but for me it isn't. Why is it so hard for you to accept that?

Also 'mostly finished concept' phrase wasn't used by me, i was simply commenting on that.

/facepalm.

This discussion has been closed.