Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Why TERA will ultimately fail.

Comments

• LaromussLaromuss Member UncommonPosts: 331

Originally posted by Teekay

Tried the beta over the weekend. It played pretty much like every other FTP korean mmo i've ever tried. The aiming thing for combat was interesting, but ultimately it boils down to the same as those other games. Kill 10 of  X, again, and again, and again. Some people don't seem to have issue with the grind so it's probably not that.

But why will it fail?

Did you see the Ilum posts in swtor and what a shitstorm that turned out to be?. Bioware then basically said, Ok Ilum didn't work, so we're going to add in a new battleground. Thats pvp sorted.

Open pvp with no objectives never work.

Just fighting for the sake of fighting an endgame will not make.

Do you all remember wow vanilla with tauren mill figting? HUge fights, great fun for the first week or so. But when you actually wanted to get something done,  not so fun then. Or daoc mordred servers, how quickly those died out. Shadowbane... RIFT! the list goes on.

Also...what's up with the 10 y.o looking girl characters with short skirts, bunny ears and stuff, [mod edit]

Great story! 

Tell it to readers digest...

• tgoodspetgoodspe Member UncommonPosts: 48

Originally posted by kanezfan

I predict that this game will have 200k box sells at most. Same old game we've been playing for 10+ years. Only difference is combat. F2P within 6 months.

Ok since you're one of the million trolls under a different name. Please explain to me in detail how you've reached a conclusion that can be ultimately summed up in; "This game will crash and burn."

• Deron_BarakDeron_Barak Member Posts: 1,136
    @Teakbois

I see a lot of threads and posts assuming the writer knows the future, this thread is a good example. There is a huge difference between "It wasn't for me" and "it will fail because of the reason I don't like it". It assumes one person knows the minds of everyone else. It comes across too self important for my taste.

In regards to what people want in the west. I guess we'll find out fairly soon. I personally was waiting for a game to improve what was there and bring back some sense of danger and grouping. I could point to a few titles I like and tell you what I would change to stay. TERA offers the most from my "list". I just want to play a good solid game.

Just not worth my time anymore.

• spikers14spikers14 Member UncommonPosts: 531

The OP is correct because everything will eventually fail and die. Everything. Even Chuck Norris.

The question is are you going to enjoy yourself until then or just gripe on some forums? For $50, I will probably be riding TERA.

• Laughing-manLaughing-man Member RarePosts: 3,654

Lemme stop you right there, this statement is 100% wrong...

Did you run around PKing people?  Then you have no idea how fun it can be.  Did you organize a group to confront a group of PKs who were forcing people to pay a toll to cross their bridge? 

My guild is a Merc guild, we are hired to protect you from the mean nasty red guys.

OR we could be hired to protect the mean nasty red guys.

Open PVP without objectives means YOU MAKE YOUR OWN OBJECTIVES!  

Did no one play UO?

Did no one watch .hack? 

These things used to be MMO holy grails....

• KehdarKehdar Member UncommonPosts: 441

Originally posted by spikers14

The OP is correct because everything will eventually fail and die. Everything. Even Chuck Norris.

The question is are you going to enjoy yourself until then or just gripe on some forums? For $50, I will probably be riding TERA.

LIES!!!

the day Chuck Norris will die, existence itself will cease therefore you will be unable to make a distintion between what's alive what's dead.

• dschledschle Member Posts: 25

Originally posted by Kehdar

Originally posted by spikers14

LIES!!!

the day Chuck Norris will die, existence itself will cease therefore you will be unable to make a distintion between what's alive what's dead.

The Cake is a lie.

• TwystedWizTwystedWiz Member UncommonPosts: 175

Tried it, not compelling enough to make me want to see any more.

It will probably stay in biz for a while, floundering around like so many other unremarkable MMO's these days.  It will go F2P when box sales die.  That's pretty much the current model for sucky MMO's.  Sell as many boxes as you can then generate revenue via a cash shop to keep the doors open when your paid subs fall off.

• helthroshelthros Member UncommonPosts: 1,449

Originally posted by teakbois

Originally posted by Deron_Barak

What I don't understand is the idea that because I don't like something that means no one else will. Out of hundreds of thousands of people that will play an MMO, all of whom could be looking for different experiences, can i really say my opinion represents all of them? Sure I can say it but it doesn't really make sense.

I dont think anyone is saying noone else will, I think people are saying it will have limited appeal.

I see lots of comments like 'I havent had this much fun since Lineage 2'.  If this games greatest appeal is to fins of western flops like L2, well there is one sign that it wont do so well.

While most people are looking to big improvements in  things such as boring quest hubs, endgame gear grinds, interesting character customization, and choice in general, TERA's big difference is an 'action' combat system, which is something that isnt really in big demand to the general western MMORPG audience (who is a lot older than the eastern one)

TERA may be a good game at what it does, but what it does isnt what most MMORPG players in the west are looking for.

You might not be as in-tune with what the general western MMORPG audience is seeking if you don't acknowledge the desire to break away from tab 1-2-3-1-2-1-2-3-4 gameplay.

For me, a veteran MMO'er with roots in MUDs, the traditional themepark game with improved combat is perfect for me. This whole idea that everything is garbage unless it's "innovative" is so played out. EVE is almost completely innovative, yet I'm sure 99% of the people bitching about lack of innovation haven't even tried it.

• wrightstufwrightstuf Member UncommonPosts: 659

Originally posted by TwystedWiz

It will probably stay in biz for a while, floundering around like so many other unremarkable MMO's these days.  It will go F2P when box sales die.  That's pretty much the current model for sucky MMO's.  Sell as many boxes as you can then generate revenue via a cash shop to keep the doors open when your paid subs fall off.

Kinda harsh, but prob not far off

• hauptmann85hauptmann85 Member Posts: 29

I posted in the forums called "Why Diablo III is doomed to FAIL" and you guys should real it because the OP totally sounds like me. Like, for real!

http://www.mmorpg.com/discussion2.cfm/thread/348122/Why-DIALBO-III-is-doomed-to-FAIL.html

• LaromussLaromuss Member UncommonPosts: 331

Originally posted by TwystedWiz

Wow another amazing story!

Tell it to readers digest...

• rexzshadowrexzshadow Member Posts: 1,428

Originally posted by hauptmann85

I posted in the forums called "Why Diablo III is doomed to FAIL" and you guys should real it because the OP totally sounds like me. Like, for real!

http://www.mmorpg.com/discussion2.cfm/thread/348122/Why-DIALBO-III-is-doomed-to-FAIL.html

Maybe you and OP are the same person and you don't realise it yet o.o

• DistopiaDistopia Member EpicPosts: 21,183

Originally posted by Sovrath

As I said before, I do think that the developers, being from a different culture, wanted to make the Elin a "Cutey Pie" type of race. Of course, we then bring in the people who are more than ready to jump on the pedophile bandwagon.

I'd be curious to look into their lives as I bet there are more skeletons in those closets than one might be comfortable with.

I've seen defending dev decisions many times but never anything as absurd as this argument is getting. Yes it's from a different culture, in japan anime is full of teens in the nude, that may be fine there, it's not here, it's as simple as that. We're westerners, Asian culture is irrelevant. You can come look into my life all you want I have nothing to hide in this regard, I still find something that looks like a teeny bopper in all but the buff as art made in poor taste.

For every minute you are angry , you lose 60 seconds of happiness."-Emerson

• AlminieAlminie Member UncommonPosts: 114

Tried the beta over the weekend. It played pretty much like every other FTP korean mmo i've ever tried. The aiming thing for combat was interesting, but ultimately it boils down to the same as those other games. Kill 10 of  X, again, and again, and again. Some people don't seem to have issue with the grind so it's probably not that.

But why will it fail?

Did you see the Ilum posts in swtor and what a shitstorm that turned out to be?. Bioware then basically said, Ok Ilum didn't work, so we're going to add in a new battleground. Thats pvp sorted.

Do you all remember wow vanilla with tauren mill figting? HUge fights, great fun for the first week or so. But when you actually wanted to get something done,  not so fun then. Or daoc mordred servers, how quickly those died out. Shadowbane... RIFT! the list goes on.

Also...what's up with the 10 y.o looking girl characters with short skirts, bunny ears and stuff, [mod edit]

"Honestly Tera will Fail" if you played it so Thanks for not playing Tera.

• teakboisteakbois Member Posts: 2,154

Originally posted by helthros

You might not be as in-tune with what the general western MMORPG audience is seeking if you don't acknowledge the desire to break away from tab 1-2-3-1-2-1-2-3-4 gameplay.

The western MMORPG audience has an average age in the 30s now  and not generally looking for a more action oriented scheme.  Is there a subset?  Sure, and thats the subset of people that will be trying TERA.  I think more people would rather have deeper class structure than twitchier combat.  TERA is basially taking away the tab and keeping the 1-2-3-1-2-1-2-3-4 part, with a bigger helping of what amounts to the standard dont stand in the fire, or in this case dont stand in the BAMs special attack.

interesting study with average age of wow players:

http://blogs.parc.com/playon/2012/02/01/phase-ii-participant-overview/

• rexzshadowrexzshadow Member Posts: 1,428

Originally posted by Distopia

Originally posted by Sovrath

As I said before, I do think that the developers, being from a different culture, wanted to make the Elin a "Cutey Pie" type of race. Of course, we then bring in the people who are more than ready to jump on the pedophile bandwagon.

I'd be curious to look into their lives as I bet there are more skeletons in those closets than one might be comfortable with.

I've seen defending dev decisions many times but never anything as absurd as this argument is getting. Yes it's from a different culture, in japan anime is full of teens in the nude, that may be fine there, it's not here, it's as simple as that. We're westerners, Asian culture is irrelevant. You can come look into my life all you want I have nothing to hide in this regard, I still find something that looks like a teeny bopper in all but the buff as art made in poor taste.

IF we can call all those thing in the modern art musium art this definatly counts as art -.-

• LonefoxSweLonefoxSwe Member Posts: 12

But why will it fail?

About the PvP....it hase it's part once the political system is active in the game.

How?

Just think about it for a while...

Can't figure it out?

Let me explain then: A guild is griefing people over and over again. Another guild comes in and taks care of that and fight back at them. This guild will gain popularity and votes in the Vanarch.elections. There....that's one purpous and one reward for the PvP in Tera.

Ah oh sorry..... I missed one part, rewards in your eye is gear, gear and more gear. GL with that.

But there can be other rewards yes.....like a chance to loot the guy you just killed, or some exp for winning the fight etc etc. There are lot of ways to add rewards for PvP, but at this point it's mostly a tool for the political game inside Tera.

Besides PvPing for fun that is.....

• TeekayTeekay Member Posts: 94

No, you make sense, open pvp for fun worked so well in all those other games with battlegrounds.

Those times in Rift I used to venture out into those endgame areas and find maybe one or two people, how everyone just stood in the main city waiting for the battleground to pop. Or in swtor sitting around in the space station waiting for bgs to pop, or in wow sitting around in ogrimar for bgs to pop or....

In fact the only game this never happened was in Daoc. It was all about frontier control, keep taking and then finding fights. It was genius. You gained realm points on killing people which could be spent to give you extra abilities. NOT gear. They'd put up rankings of best class, best player and best guild etc weekly so you could guage your standings.

Ultima online was fun because killing people gave you access to their loot. So the purpose of pvp was to get richer. Ultima online was also the first of its kind. There was no real competition at the time.

You seem to have it in your head that i want to grind for gear, as stated this is exactly what I don't want. So one guild is ganking a bridge area, everyone ctarts to cry and then another big guild rides in to save the day. What's to stop those gankers switching channels. Poof! they're gone. There is no corpse looting in tera, you don't get xp for killing players. The election status is determined by votes and rated battlegrounds if i'm correct. Open random pvp has nothing to do with it. If I kill the guy or don't kill the guy means nothing. i've just wasted some of his time, and wasted some of my time.

If you had an FPS and said the round lasts ten minutes, but there's no score kept, you'd say ' That's silly, how do we know who has done the best?'

• otacuotacu Member UncommonPosts: 547

interesting study with average age of wow players:

http://blogs.parc.com/playon/2012/02/01/phase-ii-participant-overview/

That's interesting indeed..

Thanks for the link

• LonefoxSweLonefoxSwe Member Posts: 12

No, you make sense, open pvp for fun worked so well in all those other games with battlegrounds.

Those times in Rift I used to venture out into those endgame areas and find maybe one or two people, how everyone just stood in the main city waiting for the battleground to pop. Or in swtor sitting around in the space station waiting for bgs to pop, or in wow sitting around in ogrimar for bgs to pop or....

In fact the only game this never happened was in Daoc. It was all about frontier control, keep taking and then finding fights. It was genius. You gained realm points on killing people which could be spent to give you extra abilities. NOT gear. They'd put up rankings of best class, best player and best guild etc weekly so you could guage your standings.

Ultima online was fun because killing people gave you access to their loot. So the purpose of pvp was to get richer. Ultima online was also the first of its kind. There was no real competition at the time.

You seem to have it in your head that i want to grind for gear, as stated this is exactly what I don't want. So one guild is ganking a bridge area, everyone ctarts to cry and then another big guild rides in to save the day. What's to stop those gankers switching channels. Poof! they're gone. There is no corpse looting in tera, you don't get xp for killing players. The election status is determined by votes and rated battlegrounds if i'm correct. Open random pvp has nothing to do with it. If I kill the guy or don't kill the guy means nothing. i've just wasted some of his time, and wasted some of my time.

If you had an FPS and said the round lasts ten minutes, but there's no score kept, you'd say ' That's silly, how do we know who has done the best?'

Did you actuallt read what I just said?

I get a fealing you didn'tor just couldn'tcomprehend what I said.

Oh and btw........you can't compare a RvR game with this.

Like I said before....the PvP WILL play a part in the political game inside Tera, most depending on how people use the PvP so more or less it's up to the players to decied.....

• faxnadufaxnadu Member UncommonPosts: 940

Originally posted by Dihoru

Also...what's up with the 10 y.o looking girl characters with short skirts, bunny ears and stuff, that's just sad. If you pick one of those to play, you are not right. Get help. Stay away from schools.

Anime, manga, Hell to westerners most actual 20 year old japanese women look like jailbait so your opinion on aesthetics is just that, an opinion, if you think a game with no actual sexual scenes or Hell even sexually charged dialogue is a pedobear haven just for having young looking female characters then you good sir are from a place and time I can't even historically find (in ye oldy days barely teen girls got married, it has only been fairly recently , post-1960s, that the age of marriage has started going up for the female demographic and even today you will see the odd 10 year old looking girl in a mini-skirt, she may be jailbait or she may not there just are a few of those really young looking 20ish girls).

TERA will ultimately fail for the same reason WoW  is currently dying : not enough to engage a player in the gaming experience, to be honest most MMOs are going to ultimately fail for the same reason, either lack of mechanics or lack of story/reason to play.

id like to add on this post aswell if someone get offended by elin race in this game or in generally offended by pixelated game character out of the game world has issues.

edit : aswell i tried this game during the weekend i can say my opinion about it but ill leave i only say one word, skip.

also without any more intresting end game than it has its fail for me.

• KehdarKehdar Member UncommonPosts: 441

The western MMORPG audience has an average age in the 30s now  and not generally looking for a more action oriented scheme.  

Says who?

From what I see on this forum, everyone is excited for Tera or GW2, both games adopt a more action combat style, so where do you get your idea that 30s not liking action oriented scheme?

Adding a proof of the average age of wow players doesn't prove in any possible way what you just said.

• TeekayTeekay Member Posts: 94

Originally posted by m0lly

id like to add on this post aswell if someone get offended by elin race in this game or in generally offended by pixelated game character out of the game world has issues.

From Teras company

'"Elins were once more pointed at. Yes, the appearance of the Elins has been changed in both northern American and European version of the game. Not to comply with a demand from any official board, but because those characters in particular could have attracted to the game a population of unsavoury users, and it is part of our responsibility to protect our younger audiences from them. All partners involved in the project decided to ask Bluehole Studios for a solution, so they created new textures and designs for Elin wear. We are sure you all agree that this effort for child protection was the right thing to do. We all did, here, at Frogster."

But keep telling yourself that having 8 year olds in lingerie on a female locked class is completely acceptable.

• Mith_PKMith_PK Member Posts: 8

I must say, i played the OB, and i was pretty impressed.

Ok, questing has never been my thing,  but playing MMO's is.

I never liked BG's; in any game.  i always loved open world pvp.

People saying the "open world" pvp has no rewards, so there wont be any open world pvp are wrong.  You dont need to be rewarded with "items" to pvp.  it can just be the "thrill" of battle.  and that is what i love in this game.

I'm pretty sure, that when people discover high end creatures dropping things that might give them an edge in pvp, they will go camp those creatures and fight over them...  Now, that is spawn camping / dominance.

Anyways,

i loved the open beta, i bought the game, and i'm looking forward to start playing this saturday!

For those who are interested,  i do have alot of MMO experience.

Ultima Online, WoW, Vanguard, Age of Conan, Aion, Rift, SW:TOR  

This discussion has been closed.