Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Why TERA will ultimately fail.

Comments

• BadSpockBadSpock Member UncommonPosts: 7,979

Honestly I do not believe Tera to really be anything special because it is a game based around a gimmick.

The gimmick? More "active" combat that requires aiming and a bit more movement.

What else about Tera is really new or innovative?

I can't think of anything. The end-game PvP politics and such MAY be innovative and interesting and add a whole new dynamic to end-game PvP, but it is as of yet a very unproven quality.

Just like people said AoC's seiges were an innovative and interesting/new element, only to find on launch that they didn't even work, like... at all.

Take away the "different" combat and what does Tera have?

Solo "kill 10 rats" quest-hub grind, trinity game play, instanced PvP, instanced dungeons/raiding, mediocre crafting, and open world group PvE similar to a dozen other games (BAM's)

Is Tera a strong enough/innovative enough game to stand on it's own WITHOUT the gimmick of its combat?

I don't think so.

Games based on a Gimmick tend to shine brightly early on and then collapse in flames because the rest of the game is so generic.

Rift, AoC, WAR, TOR... games based on a gimmick without any fundamental difference outside of the gimmick itself.

• Jason2444Jason2444 Member Posts: 372

Originally posted by Aemi

However it's obviously a sexualized child, created so perverts have something to masturbate too.

Awwwww yeaaaahhhhh

MMOs played: WoW, Star Wars Galaxies, Star Wars: The Old Republic, Guild Wars, Planetside, Global Agenda, Star Trek Online, RIFT, Everquest 2, Age of Conan, Warhammer Online, EvE online, APB
    Best MMO Companies: Trion Worlds, ArenaNet, CCP
    Worst MMO Companies: Electronic Arts

• ArkainArkain Member UncommonPosts: 491

A brand new profile (Teekay) and the first post is this, I'm just saying.

• LeucentLeucent Member Posts: 2,371

Originally posted by BadSpock

Honestly I do not believe Tera to really be anything special because it is a game based around a gimmick.

I can't think of anything. The end-game PvP politics and such MAY be innovative and interesting and add a whole new dynamic to end-game PvP, but it is as of yet a very unproven quality.

Just like people said AoC's seiges were an innovative and interesting/new element, only to find on launch that they didn't even work, like... at all.

Solo "kill 10 rats" quest-hub grind, trinity game play, instanced PvP, instanced dungeons/raiding, mediocre crafting, and open world group PvE similar to a dozen other games (BAM's)

Is Tera a strong enough/innovative enough game to stand on it's own WITHOUT the gimmick of its combat?

I don't think so.

Games based on a Gimmick tend to shine brightly early on and then collapse in flames because the rest of the game is so generic.

Rift, AoC, WAR, TOR... games based on a gimmick without any fundamental difference outside of the gimmick itself.

This is spot on, and as I said, I think it will go the way of Aion in the west, and be down to 2-3 servers total, within 6 months to a year, maybe sooner.

• StyleGamingStyleGaming Member Posts: 43

Wow.. My post above got me a warning for trolling... So confused on how thats trolling... 

- http://www.youtube.com/user/myfreestylegaming

AC>EQ>War>EVE>AoC>Aion>SWTOR>FireFall>Tera/GW2

• joocheesejoocheese Member Posts: 845

Originally posted by StyleGaming

Wow.. My post above got me a warning for trolling... So confused on how thats trolling... 

If you believe you were incorrectly/unfairly given a warning for trolling, be sure to reply to mmorpg.com management. I did, I explained my case to them - they removed the warning and said they would talk to the mod that gave me the uncalled for warning.

• BadSpockBadSpock Member UncommonPosts: 7,979

Originally posted by Leucent

Originally posted by BadSpock

I don't think so.

This is spot on, and as I said, I think it will go the way of Aion in the west, and be down to 2-3 servers total, within 6 months to a year, maybe sooner.

You just can't make a "clone" anymore and change a few things and expect success.

Even with one of the greatest/most known and loved IP's on the planet (Star Wars) TOR is struggling due simply to the fact that outside of their "gimmick" (the VO and story based questing) the game is entirely too generic.

TERA doesn't even have a good IP going for it, in fact the IP is causing many problems in forum-land due to the extremely Eastern cultural influence that doesn't seem to be sitting too well with many in the west.

• jdnewelljdnewell Member UncommonPosts: 2,237

Maybe its because I have a daughter ( 13 last month ) I see nothing "sexy" about the Elin.

I challenge anyone to find a 10y/o who looks like that. Thats what? 5th grade at 10 y/o. Go to the elementary or middle school and see how many " 10 y/o " kids who look like that.

My daughter has her friends over, neighborhood kids, friends kids, ect. And none of them look anything like an Elin. If anything the Elin look like a late teen, early 20s anime style female.

By some of the posters line of reasoning anyone who like anime is a "perv" looking for material to maturbate to. Some people just need to face the facts, just because YOU see a " Child" being portrayed as a sex object does not mean everyone else does.

• udonudon Member UncommonPosts: 1,803

Originally posted by Sovrath

Originally posted by Teekay

Oh to an earlier comment, a cigar may just be a cigar, but when i'm holding it against my crotch making thrusting motions you know what i'm getting at.

Ok but (and work with me here) if I have a cigar and smoke it and you have a cigar and hold it against your crotch then where does the onus fall?

On the cigar or the owner.

I'm thinking that the people who are screaming "pedo" at the top of their lungs "... protest too much, methinks".

As I said before, I do think that the developers, being from a different culture, wanted to make the Elin a "Cutey Pie" type of race. Of course, we then bring in the people who are more than ready to jump on the pedophile bandwagon.

I'd be curious to look into their lives as I bet there are more skeletons in those closets than one might be comfortable with.

IF you have issues looking at child like beings yet seeing them as sexual beings then you shouldn't be playing. AT all. Otherwise, other people will have no issues seeing them as: cute, ridiculous, ludicrous, adorable, a blast, stupid looking, obnoxious, fun, and etc.

edit: +1 for Strangepower.

It's not just about the "child like beings" being in the game it's also about the gear they are provided to wear as well isn't it?  I didn't play one in beta and I really didn't look that closely but I never saw one wearing anything resembling modest cloths, did you?  The developers are exploiting the image of young females to sell boxes in this game.  It really doesn't matter if it's a "cultural" thing of the east, if they are doing it to drum up controversy or if they are targeting a specific audience the end result is the same.

I also think men who play that race are going to regret it when they join a guild and start to use voice chat to.  At least those in western guilds likely will get lots of crap for it. 

• KehdarKehdar Member UncommonPosts: 441

I don't see why some of you think that Tera must go 11 millions players or burn. 

Almost all the Tera fans agree that it will be a niche game. Still you keep coming on this board arguing against an imaginary fanbase who think tera will be the next big thing. (maybe you are projecting a bit?)

Do I think Tera is revolutionary and will change the mmo genre? No, never said that. It's a classic themepark with a fun combat system. Does this make it automatically bad?

Why shouldn't I enjoy it till will last and then move on?

Does everything in this world have to be revolutionary and dramatic? Cause if so untill now everything failed and I fear the trend is not going to change soon.

• Deron_BarakDeron_Barak Member Posts: 1,136
    @OP

Actually EME stopped another "Ilum" from happening by not presenting a way to get rewards that would ruin OWPvP. That's why it was catastrophic in swtor. People were taking the advantage presented to them and creating an imbalance.

There were other reasons swtor was a disappointment. I wouldn't say failure since they still have 1mil+. EME to their credit is making all the right moves and I'm goad they are the NA publisher.

Just not worth my time anymore.

• kanezfankanezfan Member UncommonPosts: 482

I predict that this game will have 200k box sells at most. Same old game we've been playing for 10+ years. Only difference is combat. F2P within 6 months.

• SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 31,937

Originally posted by udon

Originally posted by Teekay

Oh to an earlier comment, a cigar may just be a cigar, but when i'm holding it against my crotch making thrusting motions you know what i'm getting at.

Ok but (and work with me here) if I have a cigar and smoke it and you have a cigar and hold it against your crotch then where does the onus fall?

On the cigar or the owner.

I'm thinking that the people who are screaming "pedo" at the top of their lungs "... protest too much, methinks".

As I said before, I do think that the developers, being from a different culture, wanted to make the Elin a "Cutey Pie" type of race. Of course, we then bring in the people who are more than ready to jump on the pedophile bandwagon.

I'd be curious to look into their lives as I bet there are more skeletons in those closets than one might be comfortable with.

IF you have issues looking at child like beings yet seeing them as sexual beings then you shouldn't be playing. AT all. Otherwise, other people will have no issues seeing them as: cute, ridiculous, ludicrous, adorable, a blast, stupid looking, obnoxious, fun, and etc.

edit: +1 for Strangepower.

It's not just about the "child like beings" being in the game it's also about the gear they are provided to wear as well isn't it?  I didn't play one in beta and I really didn't look that closely but I never saw one wearing anything resembling modest cloths, did you?  The developers are exploiting the image of young females to sell boxes in this game.  It really doesn't matter if it's a "cultural" thing of the east, if they are doing it to drum up controversy or if they are targeting a specific audience the end result is the same.

I also think men who play that race are going to regret it when they join a guild and start to use voice chat to.  At least those in western guilds likely will get lots of crap for it. 

Well, the clothing in the Western verson of the game is pretty modest. They still wear cutesy little shorts and skirts but That's pretty much it.

As far as men playing Elin's, many do. I noticed a LOT of people on the pvp servers playing Elin. I can't imagine they are all women.

The big problem here is that, once again, we have people who just can't fathom why others don't think like they do.

Now I find children's "beatuty contests" to be disgusting. So it's not like I'm into defending the whole "let's dress kids like adults" idea.

But I see the Elin as these hyper cute silly anime beings. I don't think they are supposed to be kids but just hyper anime characters.

Just looking at all the images that i can find under "anime characters" I can see that in one context they look like kids. But they are clearly not kids. This is due to  some eastern view of "cute and adorable" more than anything else. But leave it to the west to apply their paradigm of thought to something that isn't theirs and judge it to be something it's not.

Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 

Originally posted by kanezfan

I predict that this game will have 200k box sells at most. Same old game we've been playing for 10+ years. Only difference is combat. F2P within 6 months.

Kanezfan as I already asked you in another post, i really don't understand what's you grudge with Tera. I understand you don't like it, i don't like a lot a game that other people like.

And i understand you are waiting for GW 2, and  this is fine, i'm waiting it too.

What's not normal is you attacking Tera with such passion. Really why are you so pissed by this game?

As you can read just few post above, i'm perfectly aware of what this game is and what is not, still you are trying to save people from themselve.

Just tell me why?

• ArkiniaArkinia Member Posts: 251

Originally posted by kanezfan

thanks, glad you're not my stockbroker. 

• SorrowSorrow Member Posts: 1,195

But there is an objective to the pvp in this game we fight for territory and politics you may not have noticed in your epic weekend journey to level 4.

Originally posted by Sorrow

But there is an objective to the pvp in this game we fight for territory and politics you may not have noticed in your epic weekend journey to level 4.

O.o Well that's unexpected... Are you defending Tera? 

Ah yes, the 2-3 big guilds owning a server syndrome. Anyone that says that won t get old fast, is fooling themselves.

• SarandSarand Member UncommonPosts: 17

Dont play this game for its PvP, play it for its PvE. If you are coming into Tera looking for a strong PvP game, you did not do your homework. That be YOUR fault you got disappointed. Sure, the devs said they would have all X and Y in it, but look at KTera, it doesnt. Now i know NA Tera has seperate devs but the foundation is from KTera. If a good PvP system is to be added, then it will be a bit down the road after release.

Pick up Tera for a solid and visually appealling PvE experience. Tera 20+ is where it really starts to get fun. Start to fight BAMs. If you are an average player or less, you can group up to kill them. If you are a good player and understand the mechanics of the class you are playing, solo the shit out of BAMs. Ever been sat on by a Kumas? You will hope that thing finishs you off cause i dont know if anyone would want to be the guy that lived after being sat on by a Kumas. Soloing BAMs never gets boring.

I feel that a lot of the player base will probably be those who enjoyed FFXI? maybe. Just a guess. Also the first dungeon at 20, easy as hell but still fun as shit. The DPS must avoid being hit in boss fights, not stand there and take a slap from a 30ft mob to the face and go, that tickled. That crap will kill you in Tera.

As others have said, this a niche game. This will not be the next WoW. It will have a solid base of dedicated followers. Play if for its PvE, not PvP. Dont expect a better system to be implamented but be happy if they do. You are just looking at the game in the wrong way.

Ah yes, the 2-3 big guilds owning a server syndrome. Anyone that says that won t get old fast, is fooling themselves.

Lucent read my post for Kanezfan 4 post above yours, the same question is valid for you as well.

You understand that the last page of your posts history is all on Tera forum? On a game that you stated more than once that you dislike?

Originally posted by Kehdar

Lucent read my post for Kanezfan 4 post above yours, the same question is valid for you as well.

You understand that the last page of your posts history is all on Tera forum? On a game that you stated more than once that you dislike?

And?

• TeekayTeekay Member Posts: 94

But I see the Elin as these hyper cute silly anime beings. I don't think they are supposed to be kids but just hyper anime characters.

A few of you have said this same thing, you don't think they're meant to be kids, but 1) They are flat chested suggesting a pre-pubescent state , 2) They are gender locked.

I've watched/read alot of anime/manga, the defining feature of teens/preteen seperation is tits. Plain and simple. Tits.

And?

You didn't read the post i was talking of? Did you?

• SarandSarand Member UncommonPosts: 17

I've watched/read alot of anime/manga, the defining feature of teens/preteen seperation is tits. Plain and simple. Tits.

What you saying? You want your teen/pre-teen girls to have tits?

• SorrowSorrow Member Posts: 1,195

O.o Well that's unexpected... Are you defending Tera? 

LOL well yes and no... if you are going to complain about a feature in a game at least do your homework, and complain about something real and deserved.

As of right now the guild vs guild pvp territory and politcal wars are still an untested feature of the game.

They have the potential to be great or to be horribe, but right now we do not honestly know so do not go making a post claiming that feature of the game is flawed or broken.

I may not like Tera, and may agree that it has a short shelf-life but my issues with the game are things that I got into every beta event and tested back forth and sideways before I made my objection.

Honestly it comes down to I HATE liars, and I am FED THE F UP WITH THEM on every game forum out there.

There is nothing wrong with honest tested criticism, that is how we make things better, but to fabricate issues disqusts me.

I will remind people that Linage 2 and DAoC even more so are FAMOUS and deservedly so for how well they have done territory and political wars, if Tera follows suit, learns from what those two have done and does it better, it can be an epic feature to an otherwise meh game.

This discussion has been closed.