Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

World of Warcraft: Mists of Pandaria: The War Back in Warcraft

Comments

• PoporiPopori Member UncommonPosts: 334

Didn't they pretty much use the same line when Cataclysm was in the works?  Something about the king of Stormwind and the new Warchief being more warlike and they were focusing on returning to a more hostile world and blah blah?

• ZylaxxZylaxx Member Posts: 2,574

Will never happen.  WoW is developed for and marketed at the lowest common denominator.  The type who who would rather have Pokemon Pet battles over "real" end game features such as Player Housing and PvP territorial objectives.

Everything you need to know about Elder Scrolls Online

Playing: GW2
    Waiting on: TESO
    Next Flop: Planetside 2
    Best MMO of all time: Asheron's Call - The first company to recreate AC will be the next greatest MMO.

• k-damagek-damage Member CommonPosts: 738

Definitely dead for me. They had plenty of time to keep the quality up, but they chosed the streamlined route instead. 

(started in 2006, stopped last year)

***** Before hitting that reply button, please READ the WHOLE thread you're about to post in *****

• jmcdermottukjmcdermottuk Member RarePosts: 1,571

My problem with WoW is the change in philosophy it's gone through, mainly. When it was about to release and in early development, Blizzard said they would take all that boring hatefull crap in other MMO's and get rid of it. And they did! They released a fun game with tons of potential. But a couple of years down the road and we begin to see the rot setting in.

Naxxramas is released and you need to grind faction to get in. Unlocking AQ and more rep grind for Cenarians. TBC releases and yet MORE rep grinding to get keys to ALLOW YOU TO ENTER CONTENT!!! Screw that! I paid the same as everyone else. Why deny access to content?

And so it went, on and on, slowly the old boring crap from the "old MMO's" crept back in.

The other problem with WoW is, they can't stop changing stuff. Constantly. How many times have we seen CORE MECHANICS change for classes. I'm not talking about re-balancing but a complete overhaul of how a class plays. If SOE did that to EQ they'd have had mass cancellations. They did have mass cancellations when the hit SWG with the NGE. How do Blizz get away with it?

I thought Vanilla was excellent but, sadly those days are long gone. I honestly fail to understand how WoW has managed to maintain such high numbers for so long. It is a freak and we'll never see an MMO with such high subs ever again and I've been saying that for years.

That's why I keep knocking it.

• Tonyc403Tonyc403 Member Posts: 1

God damnit blizzard it took you 5 years but now youre doing it so i spose ill be back into the game sooner or later.

• raistlinmraistlinm Member Posts: 673

Originally posted by Terranah

meh...pandas.  Too bad they didn't have asian humans or something.  I really don't like playing animal characters. 

Not sure I'd mind playing a lion with a niice flowing main or something but Pandas are just too cute and given Kung Fu panda it just makes it much too silly (and yes I've heard the pandera's were in existence before the movies).

• KendaneKendane Member UncommonPosts: 225

Originally posted by BillMurphy

Originally posted by Mephster

The expansion is about exploration. Not sure it is putting anything back in anything.

That's one facet of it, yes. But believe me: all we were told the entire time during the recent press event was how they were going to bring back the fighting between the two sides. They couldn't tell us specifics on how, other than the story will have ships from both Horde and Alliance arriving on the beachead with the first major patch post Pandaria's launch.

I'm all for it and might give the game another whirl of they keep things balanced. I know Im biased since I mostly played Alliance, but it seemed all the visable victories all went to the Horde. I know about the balancing things out zone wise, which is why Im hoping with a new land it can be both sides putting the hurt on PvE wise. Just wish they would add viable world PvP like DAoC had, but that kinda requires a 3rd faction to avoid one side being beaten down all the time.

• SuperXero89SuperXero89 Member UncommonPosts: 2,551

Originally posted by Zylaxx

Will never happen.  WoW is developed for and marketed at the lowest common denominator.  The type who who would rather have Pokemon Pet battles over "real" end game features such as Player Housing and PvP territorial objectives.

• jbombardjbombard Member UncommonPosts: 598

LET'S PUT THE WAR BACK IN WARCRAFT!  ROAR!

Oh and welcome to pandisneyland!  Over here you can hug pandas and drink bear, over here you can play farmville and pokemon.  ROAR!

Oh and all these talents there just so confusing, so were gonna take those away mmkaay...  It really is for the best you know, with no talents you will see a much more balanced game.  Only at max level of course even without talents balancing at any level other than max level is far too complex.  WHAT DO YOU MEAN IT ISNT BALANCED AT 90?  Oh, don't worry we'll fix it next patch.  Oh now this class isn't balanced don't worry next expansion...  Next expansion....  Blizzard:"We have removed classes, we feel it is too hard to balance with different classes"... the following expansion "We have removed all abilities classes will now auto attack at all times"(yet somehow it still isn't balanced)

• Stimos8Stimos8 Member UncommonPosts: 163
    This is all great and all. But WoW has broken past the boundaries of return. Faction changes? That 1 thing will make world pvp and horde vs alliance, no longer possible. Which is probably there hidden intent, to make everyone switch sides, and to take in alot of cash.
  • evianwaterevianwater Member UncommonPosts: 308

Um..correct me if I'm wrong..but wasn't Cataclysm supposed to be a return to the Horde Vs. Alliance ?

Wasn't that what they pitched over and over leading up to the xpac..then it turned out to be the same old same old "Hey we hate each other..but guess what new super bad guy #3 is going to destroy all of Azeroth if we don't band together..but just this one time okay!?!?"

• fledurfledur Member CommonPosts: 77

Hm...it's the same story with each WoW expansion. People are tired of it, but somehow they think the next xpac will change the game, its design direction.

Here is the thing: it will not. You will grind quests in a rush to level cap, then grind normal and heroic dungeons and after that raiding kicks in, with a gear reset with every major patch. PvP will be like always (since Burning Crusade: meaningless and instanced,  a grind for honor and conquest points for gear, with a reset every new arena season.

War back in Warcraft? yea...keep telling yourself that.

• fledurfledur Member CommonPosts: 77

Originally posted by evianwater

Um..correct me if I'm wrong..but wasn't Cataclysm supposed to be a return to the Horde Vs. Alliance ?

Yea, they said the same thing back when Cataclysm was in development...

• palulalulapalulalula Member UncommonPosts: 651

You can cry and whine fanboys of ''that game'' but never ever you will have epic battles like we had in wow . Raids on towns of oposing faction , epic fights for achivement ''For the Horde''. I can only laugh when somebody write about how is he playing game for ''old people'' and we wow players are kids. Cmon tell that to some hard working  mine worker and he would laugh at you and  probably think that you are crazy and useless when you play computer games . So stop with that bull about ''i am smart because i play some other game''. We do play different games but how it looks we return always to wow and that is because most of the games are crap. And to compare ''that game'' with wow is like to put ant beside the elephant. I am sick of you people who wants to prove your age with hating wow, well that makes you even more childish.We have millions of players and we want miss you

• CorehavenCorehaven Member UncommonPosts: 1,533

One thing WoW needs to do, and every game that has world PvP for that matter, is make World PvP rewarding.  Give rewards.  Perhaps some kind of currency given for battles won.  As for gankers?  Subtract currency if you are fighting a player any more than 5 levels below you.   Just makes sense to me.  If they added that, there would be Tarren Mill style fights en mass. 

World PvP should have a point.  The easiest way is to reward people for doing it.  Period.  I hate World PvP.  Why?  Because there's no purpose behind it.  Its pointless.  Even more so because the players dont stay dead anyways.  They just respawn and return within minutes or even seconds.  So rewards might make a difference there. 

• ValuaValua Member Posts: 520

World of Warcraft OWNS the MMO genre, fact. 

This expansion will focus on PvP more so than any other expansion, fact.

Pokemon played more than the entire MMO genre, fact (so it doesn't surprise me that they are implementing a similar system, what does surprise me is that no major company has done it before.)

World of Warcraft: Mists of Pandaria will be the best selling MMO this year, FACT. (and probably the best reviewed, not fact.)

• palulalulapalulalula Member UncommonPosts: 651

Originally posted by Valua

Pokemon played more than the entire MMO genre, fact (so it doesn't surprise me that they are implementing a similar system, what does surprise me is that no major company has done it before.)

World of Warcraft: Mists of Pandaria will be the best selling MMO this year, FACT. (and probably the best reviewed, not fact.)

You are the man with the fact :) And we trust you

• NitthNitth Member UncommonPosts: 3,904

Originally posted by palulalula

How the hell can you call something fact that hasn't happened yet. go check yourself.

TSW - AoC - Aion - WOW - EVE - Fallen Earth - Co - Rift - || XNA C# Java Development

• headphonesheadphones Member Posts: 611

it's an expansion developed by blizzard. fact.

so was the burning crusade. fact.

and the wrath of the lich king? blizzard, too. fact.

cataclysm? 3 for 3. fact.

pretty much everyone in an mmo forum bought them. fact.

pretty much no one liked them. fact.

in baseball, it's three strikes and you're out. fact.

see where i'm going here?

• ValuaValua Member Posts: 520

Originally posted by headphones

They've been the best reviewed MMO games (expansions) for years, fact. That sort of disproves your fact of pretty much no one liking them doesn't it? Also, it's strange how pretty much no one likes WoW YET it still keeps 10+ million subscribers. Very strange.

If anyone has any doubt that Pandaria will be the best selling MMO of the year then they need to research the MMO genre. (or stop hyping GW2 up so much, when it will barely sell 3 million copies - my opinion.)

• headphonesheadphones Member Posts: 611

Originally posted by headphones

They've been the best reviewed MMO games (expansions) for years, fact. That sort of disproves your fact of pretty much no one liking them doesn't it? Also, it's strange how pretty much no one likes WoW YET it still keeps 10+ million subscribers. Very strange.

If anyone has any doubt that Pandaria will be the best selling MMO of the year then they need to research the MMO genre. (or stop hyping GW2 up so much, when it will barely sell 3 million copies - my opinion.)

wow kept me through 3 expansions, certainly. you know why? because they're smart in their stupidity.

what they tend to do is nerf nerf nerf, but they go in cycles. i played a sub rogue since the beginning. i saw my toon go from being weak, to medium, to strong, to weak to medium to strong. every time you think, "i'm gonna quit" you wait to see what the next patch does. will that fix the problem?

blizzard also always had one of the smoothest rides i've ever played. the control of your character is effortless and instinctive. that's the biggest strength of wow.

but, these days, other mmos are getting better. especially as blizzard's own people peel off to other companies.

pandaria i think you'll find will be blizzard's biggest flop. cataclysm was a flop enough. i know i quit pretty much a few weeks right after. the dumbing down of the skill trees to the point where it was just no point even thinking about what you'd rolled was enough for me. combine that with two of the most useless experiences with their "customer service" and they lost me for good.

i personally think a lot of the rage comes from betrayal of hope. it's like the swtor thing. a lot of us cut our teeth on wow. or at least invested a lot of time in it. to be treated not as customers, but as children, is pretty annoying. they've lost their ideas. all they do now is cut the flesh off the bones of their game and call it improvement. adding shiny new animations really isn't doing much for anyone anymore.

i think gw2 will surprise you. it's already surprised me. i think there's a lot of us waiting for gw2 because it looks to be going in the direction wow almost did and should have done.

i did enjoy a lot of my time with wow. but it's a stagnant pool now.

edit: even blizz know this, which is why they're moving on, too...

edit 2: yogscast do a great vid of the new expansion, and pretty much summed it for me. they walk around all over the place. they fight a "boss" monkey, who is a different colour to the other monkeys. all they see is monkeys and they get sick of monkeys. and the quests make them zigzag everywhere and they spend all their time running rather than fighting.

that's what i remember most about wow. the running. it's like episodes of doctor who.

• jbombardjbombard Member UncommonPosts: 598

WoW owns MMO genre. Ok.

PvP?  How can it be a fact when the game isn't released yet.  Considering it is PLAYER vs. PLAYER, you would probably need players to determine whether or not this is fact.

Pokemon? Mario kart sold even more than pokemon, it doesn't mean people want mario kart in my WoW.  I like chocolate and I like pickles, it doesn't mean I want pickles in my chocolate.

How is it a fact that MoP will be the best selling MMO this year?  It hasn't even been announced to release this year.  Also GW2 will likely sell more boxes.  Either way selling boxes isn't the measure of success how many customers they can keep subscribed is.

• HydhraHydhra Member Posts: 32

Too late just let the game die.

DAoC/GW/Lotro/WoW/WAR/Rift/SWTor

• KonfessKonfess Member RarePosts: 1,667

When I played WoW, I didn't play on a PvP server to end game.  But didn't those of you that did, have open world PvP there?  Or was everyone interested in PvP in BGs?  Drawn by the grind for PvP commendation gear?  Will they be moving the grind to the open world?  Say the 70+ zones rather than the 30-40 level zones where I did see Ganking by level capped players.

Pardon any spelling errors
    Konfess your cyns and some maybe forgiven
    Boy: Why can't I talk to Him?
    Mom: We don't talk to Priests.
    As if it could exist, without being payed for.
    F2P means you get what you paid for. Pay nothing, get nothing.
    Even telemarketers wouldn't think that.
    It costs money to play.  Therefore P2W.

• MackehMackeh Member Posts: 164

Azeroth can never be the same again due to the idiotic flying mounts and it's this reason I quit a year ago and will never return.  It was a great game but now it's rubbish.