Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

There is no gear Stat progression

MMOExposedMMOExposed Member RarePosts: 7,387
People seem to be spreading the word that there isn't a stat progression in GW2,

But I know this isn't the case, and that GW2 will have item stat progression. But how does it work?

Philosophy of MMO Game Design

Comments

• sammyelisammyeli Member Posts: 765

How many posts will you make before you actually do some progression on your part in gaining information on GW2?

“The truth may be puzzling. It may take some work to grapple with. It may be counterintuitive. It may contradict deeply held prejudices. It may not be consonant with what we desperately want to be true. But our preferences do not determine what's true.”

Carl Sagan-

• atziluthatziluth Member UncommonPosts: 1,190

There is stat progression in the game, however when it comes to PvP all gear/stats are normalized so you get no advantage. 

So that might be the confusion you are having. Also gear progression will not be all that important... skill usage, positioning, skill combos, and evasion will be much more important from everything we have seen.

-Atziluth-

- Never underestimate the predictability of stupidity.

• KakkzookaKakkzooka Member Posts: 591

If you're going to play online games, you should really consider getting the internet. It has this feature called "Google."

Re: SWTOR

"Remember, remember - Kakk says 'December.'"

• UngoHumungoUngoHumungo Member Posts: 518

wiki.guildwars2.com

There are times when one must ask themselves is it my passion that truly frightens you? Or your own?

• UngoHumungoUngoHumungo Member Posts: 518

Originally posted by atziluth

There is stat progression in the game, however when it comes to PvP all gear/stats are normalized so you get no advantage. 

So that might be the confusion you are having. Also gear progression will not be all that important... skill usage, positioning, skill combos, and evasion will be much more important from everything we have seen.

i don't think this is the case, there has to be something to set a higher level character apart from lower levels,  if I am a lvl 80 and a lvl 1 is equal to me what is the point in having levels or any sort of progression system.  Also they have said that the buff does normalize things a bit but a lvl 80 character is still a lvl 80 character I believe in pvp its scaled so that lvl 80s aren't just walking over lower level people.

There are times when one must ask themselves is it my passion that truly frightens you? Or your own?

• RateroRatero Member UncommonPosts: 440

This may help explain how gear works in GW2.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U3kb6OSyGRU

He mentions that there is a way to upgrade gear through modificaitons... around timestamp 2:43.

Ratero.

• MMOExposedMMOExposed Member RarePosts: 7,387
    Originally posted by sammyeli

How many posts will you make before you actually do some progression on your part in gaining information on GW2?

Interesting. Since you are so imformed, mind answering the question rather than your nonsense?

Philosophy of MMO Game Design

Originally posted by MMOExposed

Interesting. Since you are so imformed, mind answering the question rather than your nonsense?

No because every single thread you make is nonsense and you can easily obtain this information on your own, all you do is make a thread and leave and hope it becomes troll bait. Please use the search function or use one of the many stickied threads to your leisure and inform your misinformed self.

Have a nice day!

“The truth may be puzzling. It may take some work to grapple with. It may be counterintuitive. It may contradict deeply held prejudices. It may not be consonant with what we desperately want to be true. But our preferences do not determine what's true.”

Carl Sagan-

• KakkzookaKakkzooka Member Posts: 591

No because every single thread you make is nonsense and you can easily obtain this information on your own, all you do is make a thread and leave and hope it becomes troll bait. Please use the search function or use one of the many stickied threads to your leisure and inform your misinformed self.

Have a nice day!

/thread

Re: SWTOR

"Remember, remember - Kakk says 'December.'"

• AldersAlders Member RarePosts: 2,207

Have a nice day!

I love you.

• El-HefeEl-Hefe Member UncommonPosts: 760

sigh.  another thread that is a perfect example of how some of the gw2 community is giving the community as a whole, and the game itself a bad wrap in a lot of gamers eyes.

I've got the straight edge.

• LoktofeitLoktofeit Member RarePosts: 14,247

Originally posted by Alders

Have a nice day!

I love you.

Mad props to sammy. image

There isn't a "right" or "wrong" way to play, if you want to use a screwdriver to put nails into wood, have at it, simply don't complain when the guy next to you with the hammer is doing it much better and easier. - Allein
    "Graphics are often supplied by Engines that (some) MMORPG's are built in" - Spuffyre

• AldersAlders Member RarePosts: 2,207

Originally posted by brody71

sigh.  another thread that is a perfect example of how some of the gw2 community is giving the community as a whole, and the game itself a bad wrap in a lot of gamers eyes.

Nope.  Those of us that can read between the lines are tired of bullshit threads from people obviously looking to start shit.  Had the question been legit and the intention be to actual educate oneself, then the outcome would have been different.  It's getting old.

• gaeanprayergaeanprayer Member UncommonPosts: 2,341

Have a nice day!

Couldn't have said it better myself.

"Forums aren't for intelligent discussion; they're for blow-hards with unwavering opinions."

• StriderXedStriderXed Member Posts: 257

And what type of gamer lets a small portion of the community alter their ENTIRE perspective of a game (and all it's features that the so called community didn't develop in the game). Besides, the op had it coming. I mean theres stickies literally right here in the GD. Personally I would have just sent a link and called it a day. But if this thread was created for Troll bait  then....

• MeowheadMeowhead Member UncommonPosts: 3,716

I'm willing to agree that the people answering the op are giving the whole gw2 community a bad name, if you're willing to concede that the OP is giving the whole non-GW2 community a bad name.

Let's all wallow in the shame that is people online, and how EVERYBODY has a bad name.  Me, you.  Everybody.

We might as well quit while we're ahead.  I blame the internet.

• DistopiaDistopia Member EpicPosts: 21,183

Originally posted by Meowhead

I'm willing to agree that the people answering the op are giving the whole gw2 community a bad name, if you're willing to concede that the OP is giving the whole non-GW2 community a bad name.

Sure I'll concede to that, as I'd much rather be apart of this:

But how does it work?

Rather than what the reaction to that has been. What purpose does a forum such as this serve other than, asking about and/or sharing information about a game?

For every minute you are angry , you lose 60 seconds of happiness."-Emerson

• romanator0romanator0 Member Posts: 2,382

There is stat progression. It starts at level 1 and ends at level 80. After that there isn't any.

• grimm6thgrimm6th Member Posts: 973

Originally posted by Alders

Nope.  Those of us that can read between the lines are tired of bullshit threads from people obviously looking to start shit.  Had the question been legit and the intention be to actual educate oneself, then the outcome would have been different.  It's getting old.

This.  Some of us [GW2 fans] have been following this for quite some time, and have answered these questions, or ones like them, time and time again.

Compounded by the fact that newcomers invariably look at something and interpret the data, video, blog post, words, etc. incorrectly (yes...there is a right way), and come up with questions that are based on something misunderstood.  Sometimes it  becomes an unintentional strawman's argument, and those are always fun to set straight.

I used to TL;DR, but then I took a bullet point to the footnote.

Originally posted by Distopia

Rather than what the reaction to that has been. What purpose does a forum such as this serve other than, asking about and/or sharing information about a game?

Well, I think the GW2 community is getting overly defensive.

... but on the other hand, I don't feel too bad about it when it's MMOExposed asking the questions. :T

I'd be able to get up the energy to care if it was somebody I thought had a history of asking questions in good faith.

Like I get upset if it's you or Darkpony asking something and getting picked on.  Though usually I'm at work (ON vacation now) so just shake my fist at the phone screen and go 'Give them a break!'

edit:  I might as well answer this while I'm here, anyway, whether or not I think MMOExposed is a legitimate person himself.

There of course is stat progression throughout the game, AND there's going to be some (Unsure just how much) even when you hit max level.

That being said, from what they've said, and from how it appears to work, it'll be relatively easy to hit max stat gear, and then it'll mostly be horizontal gear improvement...s witching to something with a better set of stats for what purpose you have in mind, rather than a constant vertical gear improvement, where you're going from one level of raid to another, getting bigger and bigger numbers constantly.

If MMOExposed wanted people to take him more seriously, it'd probably help if he started by getting rid of the 'Aha.  GOTCHA' tone of most of his posts, and the times he asks questions that should be fairly easy to research.  Honestly though, I'm sort of tired of ANYBODY who starts tons and tons of topics.  I'm not going to name any other names, though I have some in mind. I might be a jerk!  Sorry.

I am in no way trying to insult someone that is asking for information that maybe discussed because there might be things that have been left out from all the videos or threads that inform of said question.

But MMOExposed is known to start threads and just vanish and hope it becomes troll bait so he may later return to stir up things.

Look at my join date, within that time every thread I have seen from this person is complete non sense, the info that he requires is right in front of him, if you do not believe me check his history.

There is another of these running around here much worse, his first to latest post on these forums have been like this(Monojoro I think is his name)

Post - 1 - So there is no gear progression, where is the carrot? so I assume this game is not for me?

and it just gets worse and worse after that. I mean comeon do you really need to make such threads just to bash.

Its stuff like that, which is what ticks most of us.

Carl Sagan-

Well, I think the GW2 community is getting overly defensive.

... but on the other hand, I don't feel too bad about it when it's MMOExposed asking the questions. :T

I'd be able to get up the energy to care if it was somebody I thought had a history of asking questions in good faith.

Like I get upset if it's you or Darkpony asking something and getting picked on.  Though usually I'm at work (ON vacation now) so just shake my fist at the phone screen and go 'Give them a break!'

edit:  I might as well answer this while I'm here, anyway, whether or not I think MMOExposed is a legitimate person himself.

There of course is stat progression throughout the game, AND there's going to be some (Unsure just how much) even when you hit max level.

That being said, from what they've said, and from how it appears to work, it'll be relatively easy to hit max stat gear, and then it'll mostly be horizontal gear improvement...s witching to something with a better set of stats for what purpose you have in mind, rather than a constant vertical gear improvement, where you're going from one level of raid to another, getting bigger and bigger numbers constantly.

Answering it is simply the best course of action (legit thread or not). I for one am unsure how they're handling progression of gear all I know or have read about is their idea that at cap that type of progression is not the focus. Even if this is an ill-intended thread, that doesn't mean it can't be productive, I for one wouldn't mind reading about actual relevant info for a change.

As for the content of this thread being a part of the problem isn't the answer..

Answering it is simply the best course of action (legit thread or not). I for one am unsure how they're handling progression of gear all I know or have read about is their idea that at cap that type of progression is not the focus. Even if this is an ill-intended thread, that doesn't mean it can't be productive, I for one wouldn't mind reading about actual relevant info for a change.

As for the content of this thread being a part of the problem isn't the answer..

Hmmm.  Is there any way my answer didn't well... answer your question?

Here I will answer it as best as I ca, at max level or any level at that where gear sets are available, there will be a limit on def, armor, etc, etc but lets say one set gives you 10 str and 20 dex the other set from another place might give you the same basic stats but 20 str and 10 dex, so you can pick and choose what stat is best for you and mix and match.

Did I get that right for you? mind you I am giving a very simple example.

Carl Sagan-

Hmmm.  Is there any way my answer didn't well... answer your question?

It did, your answer is what sparked the comment above, as if every post did just that, any ill-intent would have failed. Generally the response a "troll" is looking for is what we saw earlier in this thread.