Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

PC Gamer Preview

Comments

• Chrome1980Chrome1980 Member Posts: 511

Originally posted by TheYear1500

I was talking about how with unlimited options in physical features (sliders) it would be possible to make a Norn look like a Human and a Human that looked like a Norn.  

Your the one that got obsessed with size and body height..  

This is the quote i was talking about.  

All great and good my NORN lover but i wasn't even talking about that in original post you quoted.

You do understand that Norns are in the game right?  And you are capable of understanding that when you have two races that look so similar it creates problems with customization correct?  I can understand if its over your head, its ok i am sure lots of things are.  

Now you sound like a broken record. 

• atziluthatziluth Member UncommonPosts: 1,190

So in other words your not going to answer the question?  

1)  they change the size of the weapons, so that they scale.  How about instead of changing the subject you answer the question.  How does it make any since having a FAT person jumping and running around?  

2) Does not matter since we will see both.  Does not matter what they do, it will happen.  That was my point.    

3) So again you want to add an unrealistic body typeas your the one that wants to add a FAT option.  So again how is this a good thing?  I never said they should keep them all skinny,  But how does adding a FAT option good?

Wow, are you just trolling now?

1) I answered your question. Just because someone is large does not mean they cannot fight. Even if it would be unrealistic... it is a fantasy game. Suspension of disbelief is fine for tiger people (Char) and dragons, but fat people is where you draw the line? Really? It is no more unrealistic than an 80 lb girl weilding a 100lb hammer or casting fireballs. To be fine with one but not the other is hypocritical and undermines your entire argument. 

2) Objectification of a sex compared to a simple annoyance DOES matter. They are not the same and I am not sure we can have a discussion if you think the objectification of women does not matter. 

3) Fat is not unrealistic... It is actually realistic. There are people of every size out there and you are presuming just because a person is large they cannot do something that you yourself probably have no real life experience with. Go to an SCA event and look at some of the fighters... There are plenty on the large size and many of them fight quite well and frankly hit like a truck. So this presumption that fat or large cannot possibly fight is a rather presumptive opinion. We could also delve into the many large characters that dot fictional tales both eastern and western.

Why exactly are you so against anything ugly or fat in a game?

-Atziluth-

- Never underestimate the predictability of stupidity.

• Terminus-EstTerminus-Est Member UncommonPosts: 352

I agree. I would love to see a character creator that lets you be fat (and many other "unconventional" shapes).

• Ice-QueenIce-Queen Member UncommonPosts: 2,483

Originally posted by Terminus-Est

I agree. I would love to see a character creator that lets you be fat (and many other "unconventional" shapes).

If I could make one of my characters fat, I'd call her Big Deloras. image

What happens when you log off your characters????.....
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GFQhfhnjYMk
    Dark Age of Camelot

• TheYear1500TheYear1500 Member UncommonPosts: 531

Originally posted by atziluth

So in other words your not going to answer the question?  

1)  they change the size of the weapons, so that they scale.  How about instead of changing the subject you answer the question.  How does it make any since having a FAT person jumping and running around?  

2) Does not matter since we will see both.  Does not matter what they do, it will happen.  That was my point.    

3) So again you want to add an unrealistic body typeas your the one that wants to add a FAT option.  So again how is this a good thing?  I never said they should keep them all skinny,  But how does adding a FAT option good?

Wow, are you just trolling now?

1) I answered your question. Just because someone is large does not mean they cannot fight. Even if it would be unrealistic... it is a fantasy game. Suspension of disbelief is fine for tiger people (Char) and dragons, but fat people is where you draw the line? Really? It is no more unrealistic than an 80 lb girl weilding a 100lb hammer or casting fireballs. To be fine with one but not the other is hypocritical and undermines your entire argument. 

2) Objectification of a sex compared to a simple annoyance DOES matter. They are not the same and I am not sure we can have a discussion if you think the objectification of women does not matter. 

3) Fat is not unrealistic... It is actually realistic. There are people of every size out there and you are presuming just because a person is large they cannot do something that you yourself probably have no real life experience with. Go to an SCA event and look at some of the fighters... There are plenty on the large size and many of them fight quite well and frankly hit like a truck. So this presumption that fat or large cannot possibly fight is a rather presumptive opinion. We could also delve into the many large characters that dot fictional tales both eastern and western.

Why exactly are you so against anything ugly or fat in a game?

I never said i had anything against Ugly.  But saying skinny is wrong but Fat is i am against.  

1) no you didn't answer my question.    

2) So your saying that being FAT means you can't be sexy?  Do you really hate fat people? 

3) Also being fat/skinny is unrealistic for the same reason, They are both very unhealthy  

I do think your trolling.  After all no one would be this focused on the physical model of a video game that they don't have to buy, unless they have problem with thier own.  

• cutthecrapcutthecrap Member Posts: 600

Originally posted by Chrome1980

I was talking about how with unlimited options in physical features (sliders) it would be possible to make a Norn look like a Human and a Human that looked like a Norn.  

All great and good my NORN lover but i wasn't even talking about that in original post you quoted.

You do understand that Norns are in the game right?  And you are capable of understanding that when you have two races that look so similar it creates problems with customization correct?  I can understand if its over your head, its ok i am sure lots of things are.  

Because at some point you will get it.   Slower poeple take a while its ok.  I was giving a very logical reason why adding unlimited physical options (sliders) would be difficult if not impossible if they wished to hold to an artistic style. 

That artisitc style says that Norns and Humans are more than just different in Size.  To maintain that style they have to make sure that we the player can't do exactly what i stated.  

This makes no sense at all, as some of the other arguments I've seen used in this thread.

ANet just decided to not include such options in the game, bam, simple as that. Yes, it would be nice if characters could be created outside of the human catwalk model type, but no, GW2 won't have that. As with all MMO's, there'll be things that would be nice to be ingame and that other MMO's might have but that GW2 won't have, just as GW2 will have things that it'll have that other MMO's don't have. It's a simple question of 'it's like it is, a shame but deal with it'.

All these oddball justifications muddy the water for nothing.

As for the review, I thought it was pretty well done. It's no gospel, it's just the opinion and impressions of the reviewer, I thought he did it alright, good balance and insight in where he's coming from, with his preferences but also able to not let those preferences limit him. I didn't agree with a number of his arguments, but I could accept it for what it is, simply as his viewpoint and preview of the game.

• cutthecrapcutthecrap Member Posts: 600

Originally posted by DannyGlover

Good read. He makes some interesting observations. Its weird that so many GW2 fans in this thread are bashing the guy. He really liked it. In fact, he called it an evolution of the genre.

Yeah. Made me shake my head too.

• El-HefeEl-Hefe Member UncommonPosts: 760

Originally posted by Tayah

how about "Large Marge" 

I've got the straight edge.

• SteeJanzSteeJanz Member UncommonPosts: 334

Good read. He makes some interesting observations. Its weird that so many GW2 fans in this thread are bashing the guy. He really liked it. In fact, he called it an evolution of the genre.

Actually there are just as many GW2 fans that don't have a problem with the article.   I guess you see tomato and I see tomato.

Besides,  this thread has become the Chrome1980 and TheYear1500 show. 

• DannyGloverDannyGlover Member Posts: 1,277

Originally posted by SteeJanz

Actually there are just as many GW2 fans that don't have a problem with the article.   I guess you see tomato and I see tomato.
    Besides,  this thread has become the Chrome1980 and TheYear1500 show. 

Oh I saw the fans that didn't have a problem with the article. That's why I said "so many" instead of all. And in this case, 2 overzealous GW2 fans counts as "so many" lol.

But I digress. Its 1980 v 1500. May the best century win. GO!

I sit on a man's back, choking him and making him carry me, and yet assure myself and others that I am very sorry for him and wish to ease his lot by all possible means - except by getting off his back.

• Eir_SEir_S Member UncommonPosts: 4,440

I didn't see any problem with the article, I don't know what people are talking about.  All I thought was odd were his complaints about the female characters' looks.  He spent a little too much time talking about it.

• atziluthatziluth Member UncommonPosts: 1,190

I never said i had anything against Ugly.  But saying skinny is wrong but Fat is i am against.  

1) no you didn't answer my question.    

2) So your saying that being FAT means you can't be sexy?  Do you really hate fat people? 

3) Also being fat/skinny is unrealistic for the same reason, They are both very unhealthy  

I do think your trolling.  After all no one would be this focused on the physical model of a video game that they don't have to buy, unless they have problem with thier own.  

Resorting to personal attacks now?

I answered your questions, you just don't like the answers because you have no counter. Your argument frankly is weak and I think you know it. I have from the start stated I wanted MORE options not less. Adding different body types and looks will only add to the diversity of the game and hopefully break some of the stereotypes that have affected MMOs in negative ways. Your counter to this is that fat people are unrealistic while COMPLETELY ignoring the fact that a tiny girl wielding a huge 2H hammer is just as unrealistic.

I don't want to get rid of the option to be cute, I want to add the option to be something else. There is nothing in the lore that would prevent this and it is not reflected equally between the each sex. 

I am done with you. You clearly do not want to have a discussion. You want to insult and act condescending to others as has been clear in this thread and others. See you in game hopefully on different servers. Feel free to have the last word. 

-Atziluth-

- Never underestimate the predictability of stupidity.

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Eir_SEir_S Member UncommonPosts: 4,440

Like octagonal?  Really fat is the only option left, GW2 has plenty of thin.  

Originally posted by cutthecrap

Originally posted by Chrome1980

Because at some point you will get it.   Slower poeple take a while its ok.  I was giving a very logical reason why adding unlimited physical options (sliders) would be difficult if not impossible if they wished to hold to an artistic style. 

That artisitc style says that Norns and Humans are more than just different in Size.  To maintain that style they have to make sure that we the player can't do exactly what i stated.  

This makes no sense at all, as some of the other arguments I've seen used in this thread.

ANet just decided to not include such options in the game, bam, simple as that. Yes, it would be nice if characters could be created outside of the human catwalk model type, but no, GW2 won't have that. As with all MMO's, there'll be things that would be nice to be ingame and that other MMO's might have but that GW2 won't have, just as GW2 will have things that it'll have that other MMO's don't have. It's a simple question of 'it's like it is, a shame but deal with it'.

All these oddball justifications muddy the water for nothing.

As for the review, I thought it was pretty well done. It's no gospel, it's just the opinion and impressions of the reviewer, I thought he did it alright, good balance and insight in where he's coming from, with his preferences but also able to not let those preferences limit him. I didn't agree with a number of his arguments, but I could accept it for what it is, simply as his viewpoint and preview of the game.

Tell me about it. Guy makes no sense with his oddball justifications. However, even though review is positive the reviewere is getting flamed now just imagine what will happen in case of negative review.

Fans are expecting 100% positive reviews and i am sure someone sooner or later will make GW2 look flawless but then who takes those reviews seriously anyways?

• LuxthorLuxthor Member Posts: 171

Originally posted by Zylaxx

Originally posted by Luxthor

Originally posted by grimal

Link: http://www.pcgamer.com/previews/guild-wars-2-preview-5/

Interesting article.  Article makes DE sound seemingly like Rift's rifts, if you ask me.

Regarding over-beautification of human race, he was too moderate in criticism. Because of this direction, GW and GW2 looks like a usual generic asian MMO imho. Are there any unicorns in GW2 yet!? ;)

GW2 might have just a slight hint at Asian art, but the lore and the overall feel of the game still has that Western feel because its gritty and non-anime.  Plus in GW2 you do not fight fluffy bunnie monsters, tree people and giant reindeers, you actually fight centaurs, bandits and dragons.

You just can't create human avatar with normal looking face with characteristic facial features, every single one looks like Baywatch actors, yeah, Pamela the warrior and Mitch the mesmer ;). Whole human race in GW2 appears to be some kind of the extreme fascistic society, exterminate everything with wrong size, weight, shape or colour.

Good thing that Anet redesigned syilvari race on time, old version was 100% anime look on steroids.

---
    "I'm sorry Dave, I'm afraid I can't do that."

• Caliburn101Caliburn101 Member Posts: 636

Originally posted by ariboersma

he is writing an article.. it is his job to be unbiased... yet he isnsists on setting himself up to not like it. He plays what he doesn't like.. Humans are supposed to be these perfect type ppl in this game.. the women ARE pretty.. even TOO pretty but why bitch about it when you insist on playing it... It makes no sense for a journalist to set himself up to be biased. A lot of his in, first page and a half is as far as I could get is either not complete or biased.

"It makes no sense for a journalist to set himself up to be biased."

Check out the Leveson Inquiry.... and you will revise this opinion to something closer to the truth of matters....

• QSatuQSatu Member UncommonPosts: 1,796

http://www.gamebreaker.tv/mmorpg/a-guardians-tale-part-five/

Just check the 1st 3 min. The voice of the apothecary and the character model. I sure hope it's only a placeholder otherwise I will be very dissapointed in ANet. Grey hair doesn;t make npc's "old". I post it here b/c apparently pc gamer was complaining about that.

• VortigonVortigon Member UncommonPosts: 723

That review is a total whitewash - not a hint at the fact that the mesmer is completely broken - and nothing negative to say about anything.

Wish we had access to honest reviews and not this rubbish game reviewers are so untrustworthy nowadays it's pointless reading them.

• tixylixtixylix Member UncommonPosts: 1,288

The Butt hurt fanbois on the defense like they were for every failed MMO before this.

• PurgatusPurgatus Member Posts: 342

Originally posted by Vortigon

That review is a total whitewash - not a hint at the fact that the mesmer is completely broken - and nothing negative to say about anything.

Wish we had access to honest reviews and not this rubbish game reviewers are so untrustworthy nowadays it's pointless reading them.

The article was obviously aimed at showing how enthralling the Dynamic Event system was. Not delving into profession balance that is IMPOSSIBLE to tell at the moment.

Wish we had access to honest posts and not this rubbish forum posters are so untrustworthy nowadays its pointless reading them. (harsh, but it makes my point)

• Fir3lineFir3line Member Posts: 767

Originally posted by Tayah

I would have a female norn called Helga wielding a big hammer

"I am not a robot. I am a unicorn."

• The user and all related content has been deleted.

Originally posted by cinos

Originally posted by QSatu

http://www.gamebreaker.tv/mmorpg/a-guardians-tale-part-five/

Just check the 1st 3 min. The voice of the apothecary and the character model. I sure hope it's only a placeholder otherwise I will be very dissapointed in ANet. Grey hair doesn;t make npc's "old". I post it here b/c apparently pc gamer was complaining about that.

Did the 'work in progress' badge in the top right not mean anything to you?

You should have said 'it is still in BETA'. That line never gets old.

• UnlightUnlight Member Posts: 2,540

Originally posted by atziluth

Not sure why the hate on this preview. I thought it was rather balanced and the criticism fair. The overall theme of the piece was very positive and dented the obvious skepticism he had entering the game for the first time. 

About the part on female models. He has a point. When was the last time a game let you make a fat/ugly female? You can fiddle with some of the face settings to make a face look out of proportion, but from the start the models are overly beautified. More to the point you have adventuring females running around in ice cold mountains during a snow storm wearing little more than a leather bikini. GW2 is certainly not as bad about this as other games, see Tera the pedobear theme park, but it is a disturbing continuation of female objectification which I personally think adds quite a bit to the horny teen misogynistic atmosphere female gamers have to contend with. Female toons can certainly be made to look good if the player wants, but it should be a concious choice and not something that is built into the character creation. 

Personally I would love to run with a 300 lb Valkerie looking female toon named Bertha wearing a full breastplate armor and chewing nails. That is the kind of woman you want running with you and not towards you at the start of battle. Throw me up against a ninty lb child who looks like she came from a Victoria Secret store and all you will get from me is disdain. 

Yeah, if I had a choice about who would be 'thrown up against me', I'll always go with the Victoria's Secret model.  If that makes me a misogynist, so be it.  I'm well past apologizing for my aesthetic preferences.

By the way, a woman needn't be young to be attractive.