Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

PC Gamer Preview

Comments

• DistopiaDistopia Member EpicPosts: 21,183

Originally posted by Kakkzooka

Originally posted by Chrome1980

Originally posted by TheYear1500

And another person that fails at reading.  

Ok lets try this again.  Body type is the only thing that is keeping Norns and Humans from looking the same (taking hight out of it).  Ok NOW do you get it?  Just so you know body type does effect your customization.    

It is very hard to have a discussion with obnoxious people but i will try again. The guy who wrote the article isn't just taking about size and height . You just developed a strawman here which had nothign to do with the ongoing discussion regarding having more options in character creation. Yes height and size does matter but there are other things too which can keep the look of NORN intact so that they don't look like human but still look different from other norns.So saying i am ok with limited options and chalking it up to 'artistic style' is just bull.

Why didn't this same reviewer have the same critcisms about the minimal character customization in SWTOR, a game that pales in comparison to the customization options in GW2?

Odd, yes?

Objectively, yes.

Not that odd.

http://www.mmorpg.com/discussion2.cfm/post/4921450

For every minute you are angry , you lose 60 seconds of happiness."-Emerson

• MahavishnuMahavishnu Member Posts: 336

Thanks for the link, it is a great preview. I like what the author says.

1. Sexy armor

I understand the author's point, but seriously - GW2 gives the players a lot of opportunities to creat relatively normal female characters with realistic armor. His criticism goes to far. TERA, for instance, looks like WoP ("World of Prostitutes").

2. Social interacting

I hope that this will change when the game has been released. Currently there is no reason to find friends, since beta only goes on for two days, then everything is shut down. Everybody is just looking to see as much as he can in a short period of time. However, dynamic events are the perfect situation to interact with other players and find a guild.

3. Comparsions

I cannot understand the complaints in this forum. Whenever something new is created, it is always compared with similar things - that is nothing to be upset about. WoW is the biggest MMO of all times - every new MMO has to be compared to it. The individual story-line is something relatively new, and SWTOR was praised (not by all, but by many) for this new kind of content. It is inevitable that arena.net's attempts are compared to that.

4. Dynamic events :)

I am very happy, that every review on these has been very positive, so far. Totalbiscuit loves them, too. Because of my experience in WAR I was a little bit sceptical, the "open quests" in WAR felt very static, boring, pointless and like grinding. Here it seems to be exactly that kind of content I and many others have been waiting for for years. Just wander around, and when something is happening, get in there and have fun! My favorite part was the spontanious raiding (do not forget, that this is low-level stuff!), this is how raiding should be: players coming together to kill a big monster, and not a weekly schedule that steals my lifetime and creates addiction.

Advertising has us chasing cars and clothes, working jobs we hate so we can buy shit we don't need.

• Chrome1980Chrome1980 Member Posts: 511

Ok lets try this again.  Body type is the only thing that is keeping Norns and Humans from looking the same (taking hight out of it).  Ok NOW do you get it?  Just so you know body type does effect your customization.    

It is very hard to have a discussion with obnoxious people but i will try again. The guy who wrote the article isn't just taking about size and height . You just developed a strawman here which had nothign to do with the ongoing discussion regarding having more options in character creation. Yes height and size does matter but there are other things too which can keep the look of NORN intact so that they don't look like human but still look different from other norns.So saying i am ok with limited options and chalking it up to 'artistic style' is just bull.

Why didn't this same reviewer have the same critcisms about the minimal character customization in SWTOR, a game that pales in comparison to the customization options in GW2?

Odd, yes?

Objectively, yes.

Did you read the reply i made to your last post? obviously not. But i think that is because GW2 expectations are higher compared to SWTOR? when devs claim to improve on almost everything i guess that includes character creation too.

• TheYear1500TheYear1500 Member UncommonPosts: 531

Originally posted by atziluth

the only one crying and foaming at the mouth is you.  And most of us don't really care what you think.  You don't answer questions directed at you.  Nore do you even want to talk about it.  You have yet to explain why being FAT is a good option.  You have yet to explain how in a very active world that is GW2 a FAT person would even be able to function (fight).  There is no way a FAT person would be able to jump around, run all day.  or fight for hours.  So come on explain that.  

It has been shown that you can pick your outfits. 

And yes adding options for looks does have negative effect on a game.  Just look at Aion and the horrable char you can make in that game. 

lol and you don't think there will be a buch of FAT guys dancing around if it was added?

How is being FAT a good image for girls/boys to have?  You keep bring up real life.  Sorry but if your so obsesed with how you look in a game, how is that healthy? 

By the way no one is painting women in any type of light.  Its a game, get over it.  Also all you want to talk about is the women, what about the its view of men?  Not all men are built the way GW2 shows them.  

Lets go over your questions.

1) How can someone fat fight? 

I find this rather funny. You are playing a fantasy game where 80 lb girls can twirl around 2H hammers which weigh just as much as they do without effort, yet you have an issue with fat people and stamina? I would say if one is allowed why not both? I am simply saying both options should be allowed... Apparently this is beyond reasonable for you. 

2) Will there be a bunch of fat guys dancing?

Fair question and probably there will be a few. Will they be objectified like the tween female characters? No. Will there be as many? No. Will they purpetuate a hostile environment toward a specific sex of gamers? No. 

3) How is being fat a good image for girls/boys to have?

Once again how is an unrealistic body type good for girls/boys either? If you take issue with fat (love how you keep capitalizing the word) body types having a negative impact you would also have to have a negative opinion on all unrealistic body types or be a hypocrite. Your not a hypocrite are you? You keep repeating the mantra "It is just a game" so there is your answer. There is no negative issue because it is just a game and not a political statement with stats. I am simply advocating the inclusion of multiple options, not just ones that let immature boys spank it while leveling. Not really too much to ask. 

You obviously have not read my posts or you would know I have talked about both men and women. If you had been paying attention I said that it would be nice if both had the same options. Currently males have more with a wider range. This is usually not supported by lore so can only be contributed to negative real world cultural stereotypes. I wonder how long it would take for you to complain if you could only play a character which looked like Justin Beiber. Would you use the same justifications as you are for female toons. Maybe, but I doubt it. 

So there you have it... I answered all the questions you posed to me. Many of these answers were in my previous posts. Lets see if you fully read this one. 

So in other words your not going to answer the question?  

1)  they change the size of the weapons, so that they scale.  How about instead of changing the subject you answer the question.  How does it make any since having a FAT person jumping and running around?  

2) Does not matter since we will see both.  Does not matter what they do, it will happen.  That was my point.    

3) So again you want to add an unrealistic body typeas your the one that wants to add a FAT option.  So again how is this a good thing?  I never said they should keep them all skinny,  But how does adding a FAT option good?

It is very hard to have a discussion with obnoxious people but i will try again. The guy who wrote the article isn't just taking about size and height . You just developed a strawman here which had nothign to do with the ongoing discussion regarding having more options in character creation. Yes height and size does matter but there other things to which can keep the look of NORN intact so that they don't look like human but still look different from other norns.So saying i am ok with limited options is just bull.

I love it when poeple can't bring up a counter argument they always say "strawman".  I was not talking about just height or body shape.  The fact is that Norn and Humans look very similar,  if we were given full options on changing thier features than we could make them look the same (not counting hight).   How am i grasping at straws?  Oh and if you could read i said i didn't like how it had limited options, but i am willing to take limited options if A.Net (you know the ones that are creating the game, and the artistic feel of the game) feels its needed.  

Yes YOU were but that doesn't mean that the original point made by author was wrong or less accurate considering you wrapped it all nicely into 'i am ok with limited options since they are trying to keep artisitic style of visuals'. So you jumbled up the original point of lack of optimization with your own strawman to arrive to this ridiculous conclusion.

Yet again your not going to talk about the points of the post, just say "strawman".  So in other words you can't counter argue. 

It is very hard to have a discussion with obnoxious people but i will try again. The guy who wrote the article isn't just taking about size and height . You just developed a strawman here which had nothign to do with the ongoing discussion regarding having more options in character creation. Yes height and size does matter but there other things to which can keep the look of NORN intact so that they don't look like human but still look different from other norns.So saying i am ok with limited options is just bull.

I love it when poeple can't bring up a counter argument they always say "strawman".  I was not talking about just height or body shape.  The fact is that Norn and Humans look very similar,  if we were given full options on changing thier features than we could make them look the same (not counting hight).   How am i grasping at straws?  Oh and if you could read i said i didn't like how it had limited options, but i am willing to take limited options if A.Net (you know the ones that are creating the game, and the artistic feel of the game) feels its needed.  

Yes YOU were but that doesn't mean that the original point made by author was wrong or less accurate considering you wrapped it all nicely into 'i am ok with limited options since they are trying to keep artisitic style of visuals'. So you jumbled up the original point of lack of optimization with your own strawman to arrive to this ridiculous conclusion.

Yet again your not going to talk about the points of the post, just say "strawman".  So in other words you can't counter argue. 

I have already countered your argument several times. You were just trying to undermine the reviewers point of view by bringing in ' NORN's body size' strawman even though his criticism wasn't just about Norn or Asura in particular.

Sorry but if you are goign to create a strawman i will have to mention it.

• DistopiaDistopia Member EpicPosts: 21,183

3) So again you want to add an unrealistic body typeas your the one that wants to add a FAT option.  So again how is this a good thing?  I never said they should keep them all skinny,  But how does adding a FAT option good?

It's another option?

For every minute you are angry , you lose 60 seconds of happiness."-Emerson

Look you were not following the topic its ok.  We were talking about why we didn't have more options. Sliders and everything.  I was giving a logical reason why they would want to control how the players looked.  Is it the correct reason, who knows.  

I have already countered your argument several times. You were just trying to undermine the reviewers point of view by bringing in ' NORN's body size' strawman even though his criticism wasn't just about Norn or Asura in particular.

Sorry but if you are goign to create a strawman i will have to mention it.

I was saying nothing about the authors points.  I have no reason too, he did that all himself.  Again go back and read the posts and don't just jump in at the end.  

Look you were not following the topic its ok.  We were talking about why we didn't have more options. Sliders and everything.  I was giving a logical reason why they would want to control how the players looked.  Is it the correct reason, who knows.  

And i am talking about more options in over all customization and not just body sliders. You seem to make your point as 'end of it all' in discussion about customization.

And i am talking about more options in over all customization and not just body sliders. You seem to make your point as 'end of it all' in discussion about customization.

So since you quoted me perhaps you should stick to what i was talking about.  If you want to start something else than perhaps you should say that.   man talk about some one building a strawman.  you just admitted you did just that.  

I was saying nothing about the authors points.  I have no reason too, he did that all himself.  Again go back and read the posts and don't just jump in at the end.  

So why did you even bother to quote me in first place? because i was talking about  over all lacking customization and not just the body sliders for size and height. 

So since you quoted me perhaps you should stick to what i was talking about.  If you want to start something else than perhaps you should say that.   man talk about some one building a strawman.  you just admitted you did just that.  

Wow..just wow..dude go back and read up. You quoted me, i wasn't even talking to you.

/facepalm

So why did you even bother to quote me in first place? because i was talking about  over all lacking customization and not just the body sliders for size and height. 

wow your just sad.  I was never talking about sliders for size and height.  I said it over and over again that it was not about size and hight.  Perhaps you could go back and try reading.   

wow your just sad.  I was never talking about sliders for size and height.  I said it over and over again that it was not about size and hight.  Perhaps you could go back and try reading.   

So you forgot after one page that you quoted me first even though i wasn't even talking to you? or shall i send you link to refresh your memory? i think i should since you are so irritating.

http://www.mmorpg.com/discussion2.cfm/thread/347961/page/15

The only thing keeping them from looking the same are their physical features.  Only way of making sure they look different is if you limit the physical features options you give the players.  

I will even show my quote again.  If you had sliders to change the physical features you could make a Norn that looked like a tall Human, Or you could make a Human that looked like a short Norn.  

Again see i was leaving size out of it.  It has nothing and has never been about size or height.  

You are right, i misspoke.  I keep forgetting how lost you are.   And i joined you in being lost.  

This is what started it all..and yes i need to do a /facepalm here. Talking about being lost you can't even keep track of who quoted whom.

This article only proves one thing: ArenaNet doesn't write checks in exchange for positive previews. EA did.

The article is very positive..why the hell Anet needs to write check? or they already did based on positive article.

I don't think you even read the whole thing.

I'm being slightly facetious. I did read the article and it does turn out to be positive. But read this same reviewer's opinion of TOR - and if that doesn't make you go "Hmmmmmm," then I don't know what would.

Why he would start off with inanities about playing a female character and not having the choice to make an older woman, whereas when he reviewed TOR (a game that only gives you about eight different choices in character creation - there are carbon copies to the brim in SWTOR) there were no negatives mentioned. Particulary not about perceived shallow character choices.

That, objectively, is very suspicious.

You are just trying too hard to find faults here.  The character creating of GW2 is but a slight improvement especially for human race. Will it change in future or not who knows but his disliking of how human looks has nothing to do with TOR.

I think people who just hate TOR and pretty obsessed with it try to find connections even when they do not exist. Also expectations with GW2 are pretty high so i don't blame people for expecting a bit more out of character creation in GW2, isn't that what GW2 is all about? improving on existing features?

I like how GW2 fans deflect any criticism regarding GW2 towards TOR..as if it gives it a free pass.

Since when has GW2 been about improving on existing features?   It was not GW2 fans or people on this forum that dragged TOR into this, the author did, he is the one that was compairing the two.  While I do agree that the options in the character creation is lacking for some races.  I also understand that they are going for an artistic style, and thats the reason you have body types and not sliders.  This might also explain the lack of older, or perhaps ugly options.  They are really treating the game like an art project in terms of visuals.  So i am willing to have limmited options, in order to maintain that artistic style   

So you forgot after one page that you quoted me first even though i wasn't even talking to you? or shall i send you link to refresh your memory? i think i should since you are so irritating.

I love how you still are unable to read a post.  

And i love how you accuse me for quoting you first when it was indeed you who quoted me and went on an off tangent rant about body sliders and size of NORN. Which had nothign to do with what i was saying.

And i love how you accuse me for quoting you first when it was indeed you who quoted me and went on an off tangent rant about body sliders and size of NORN. Which had nothign to do with what i was saying.

LOL i did address your post and i added to the thread.  Would making a new paragraph helped sure.

Its called adding to a thread perhaps you know what this is? 

• DannyGloverDannyGlover Member Posts: 1,277

Good read. He makes some interesting observations. Its weird that so many GW2 fans in this thread are bashing the guy. He really liked it. In fact, he called it an evolution of the genre.

I sit on a man's back, choking him and making him carry me, and yet assure myself and others that I am very sorry for him and wish to ease his lot by all possible means - except by getting off his back.

LOL i did address your post and i added to the thread.  Would making a new paragraph helped sure.

Still changing goal posts i see. I think you are one of those people who just love to have a last word on internet and then pat themselves on the back for winning an argument. Now you create another strawman ignoring how you completely messed up here. Now you are talking about adding to a thread and addressing me when just few minutes back you couldn't even remember whom quoted whom first and you were telling me not to quote you if i had nothing to add to your points being made. /facepalm

Seriously dude make up your mind. Which one is it? 

Still changing goal posts i see. I think you are one of those people who just love to have a last word on internet and then pat themselves on the back for winning an argument. Now you create another strawman ignoring how you completely messed up here. Now you are talking about adding to a thread and addressing me when just few minutes back you couldn't even remember whom quoted whom first and you were telling me not to quote you if i had nothing to add to your points being made. /facepalm

Nope not at all.  And your the one that keep posting with out adding anything to the thread.  Perhaps you should try looking up some information about GW2 before posting.     

Norns and Humans look very similar,  to keep them from looking the same (just having a height difference).  It is nessary to limit the options in how you change the physical features.  This is a very logical reason for having limitied options.   Body shape is one of them.   

I never said i didn't quote you.  But your quote of me had nothing to do with what i said.  If you unable to read a post and talk about what is in that post....

Nope not at all.  And your the one that keep posting with out adding anything to the thread.  Perhaps you should try looking up some information about GW2 before posting.     

Norns and Humans look very similar,  to keep them from looking the same (just having a height difference).  It is nessary to limit the options in how you change the physical features.  This is a very logical reason for having limitied options.   Body shape is one of them.   

I never said i didn't quote you.  But your quote of me had nothing to do with what i said.  If you unable to read a post and talk about what is in that post....

And there he goes again about NORNS lol... hahahahaha!!!! no you clearly said 'why i quoted you in first place if i didn't stick to what you were saying' which i didn't. You did and thats where the discussion went down hill . Sad irony is that it is you who didn't stick to what i was saying and just completely dragged discussion off the rails.

So before you accuse me of not beign able to read..how about this..make sure when you quote someone you stick to what they are saying? thank you, that would be a great start and also some vitamins for your memory loss.

This article only proves one thing: ArenaNet doesn't write checks in exchange for positive previews. EA did.

The article is very positive..why the hell Anet needs to write check? or they already did based on positive article.

I don't think you even read the whole thing.

I'm being slightly facetious. I did read the article and it does turn out to be positive. But read this same reviewer's opinion of TOR - and if that doesn't make you go "Hmmmmmm," then I don't know what would.

Why he would start off with inanities about playing a female character and not having the choice to make an older woman, whereas when he reviewed TOR (a game that only gives you about eight different choices in character creation - there are carbon copies to the brim in SWTOR) there were no negatives mentioned. Particulary not about perceived shallow character choices.

That, objectively, is very suspicious.

You are just trying too hard to find faults here.  The character creating of GW2 is but a slight improvement especially for human race. Will it change in future or not who knows but his disliking of how human looks has nothing to do with TOR.

I think people who just hate TOR and pretty obsessed with it try to find connections even when they do not exist. Also expectations with GW2 are pretty high so i don't blame people for expecting a bit more out of character creation in GW2, isn't that what GW2 is all about? improving on existing features?

I like how GW2 fans deflect any criticism regarding GW2 towards TOR..as if it gives it a free pass.

Since when has GW2 been about improving on existing features?   It was not GW2 fans or people on this forum that dragged TOR into this, the author did, he is the one that was compairing the two.  While I do agree that the options in the character creation is lacking for some races.  I also understand that they are going for an artistic style, and thats the reason you have body types and not sliders.  This might also explain the lack of older, or perhaps ugly options.  They are really treating the game like an art project in terms of visuals.  So i am willing to have limmited options.  

He made but two obscure references to TOR. people need to read the whole article first. he would have said 'TOR' randomly in article somewhere and it would produce same result. Doesn't change the fact that article is very positive.

I am telling you what i have understood after reading the opinions of fans on these forums that GW2 is about improving and innovating the existing features. So yes GW2 will have to bear the brunt of these high expectations.

You can have artistic style and still have sliders. I don't even know how sliders make it less artistic.For first time i ever read that to make visuals an art project one has to be satisfied with limited options.

*scratches head*

Well since you don't understand.  

Norn and Humans have very similar looks.  If they gave us sliders it would make it possible to make a human look like a short Norn and a Norn look like a tall human.  This would break the artistic style they are doing.   By having body types they make sure that Norns don't just look like tall humans and humans don't look like just short Norns.  

You are talking about height and size of body and i am talking about over all customization while making your character.

I was talking about how with unlimited options in physical features (sliders) it would be possible to make a Norn look like a Human and a Human that looked like a Norn.  

Your the one that got obsessed with size and body height..  

This is the quote i was talking about.  

And there he goes again about NORNS lol... hahahahaha!!!! no you clearly said 'why i quoted you in first place if i didn't stick to what you were saying' which i didn't. You did and thats where the discussion went down hill . Sad irony is that it is you who didn't stick to what i was saying and just completely dragged discussion off the rails.

So before you accuse me of not beign able to read..how about this..make sure when you quote someone you stick to what they are saying? thank you, that would be a great start and also some vitamins for your memory loss.

You do understand that Norns are in the game right?  And you are capable of understanding that when you have two races that look so similar it creates problems with customization correct?  I can understand if its over your head, its ok i am sure lots of things are.