Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Are people complaining about Diablo 3 because it doesnt feel like a mmo?

Comments

• KonfessKonfess Member RarePosts: 1,667

Originally posted by DAS1337

Originally posted by Konfess

Originally posted by ShadowVlican

d3 is not an mmo

Battlenet chat is what makes Diablo a MMO.  Massive Multiplayer Online Chat Room, basically an IRC client to launch a Blizzard coop game from.  The chat screen is much smaller now, and is not the default location when leaving D3.  I see this as the number one flaw of D3.

Here is a good story on it Diablo 3′s Chat Channels, Problems and Solutions.

LOL

Are you serious?  A chat room does not make a MMO.  As there are no 'players' in a chat room, only 'chatters'.  It's called a lobby chat.  I suppose one could be mad that this feature is no longer part of the game, but if it's the biggest flaw, then D3 is going to be a smash hit.  Not that there was ever any doubt.

BNet chat served as a LFG tool, an Auction House, Ladder Ranking, Achievement bragging, and Duel matchmaking.  It fulfilled all of the Bartle Test  requirements for a MMO.

Pardon any spelling errors
    Konfess your cyns and some maybe forgiven
    Boy: Why can't I talk to Him?
    Mom: We don't talk to Priests.
    As if it could exist, without being payed for.
    F2P means you get what you paid for. Pay nothing, get nothing.
    Even telemarketers wouldn't think that.
    It costs money to play.  Therefore P2W.

• itgrowlsitgrowls Member Posts: 2,951

Originally posted by nomatics856

Because Diablo 3 is basically doing and is what diablo 2 did and was a online hack and slash where the fun was to down enemy and bosses for loot to trade with others

uhm, actually no its not. Persistantly being online, Real money auction house, no more randomly generated content. I've been playing the beta long enough to know it's nothing like D2 was. And it's simple because blizzard chose to lose all their initial talent that did this game to other companies instead of being smart and paying these people what they should have been paid initially after the big hits. 

Now that talent at Blizzard has gone on to make games like Guild Wars 2, Torchlight 2, and Rift. :)

• dannydeucedannydeuce Member Posts: 310

Originally posted by Banquetto

Some are complaining for that reason.

Some are complaining because it is by Blizzard, and because of WoW its all cool and non-conformist to hate Blizzard, like all the other millions of non-conformists.

Some are complaining because they are virulently anti-RMT, and D3 does bring a new flavour of RMT to the table.

And some are complaining because they played the beta and genuinely didn't like it as much as its predecessor.

Some are complaining that the first third of the first act on the first difficulty is to easy.

Some are complaining that the game changes the way skills level up automatically as opposed to more freedom of choice.

Some are complaining because they think that is the ONLY thing you're supposed to do on a forum.

Some are complaining because they would rather endorse a lesser known game and claim its better than D3 for arguments sake.

Originally posted by Warmaker

Originally posted by Nerovipus

d3 is not an mmo

why is it on this site then?

Because somebody paid the money to put it on the site.  Trust me when I say that an non-MMORPG has received coverage and a place on this site before, and I've complained about that too.

I'll go on to say that the Diablo series is not even an MMO at all.  It's multiplayer capable, and it can be online, but it's not massive in the scale that traditional MMORPGs are with players in the game

11 million users still play Diablo II and StarCraft over Battle.net.  I realize that is not what you mean by massive in the traditional MMORPG sense.  I think D2 allowed 8 players to coop, but that is 8 out of 11 million or however many are online.

Originally posted by dageeza

After over 6 disappointing hours of playing tera and expecting more disappointment from d3 i set in to see if it was as bad as many have said..

With all the hoopla this game wasnt even on my rader but 5 level 13 characters and a renewed diablo addiction later i pre-purchased it...

Kongrats, I expect many who can not "Tear" themselves away from Diablo 3 to come here are doing the very same thing.

• AxehiltAxehilt Member RarePosts: 10,504

BNet chat served as a LFG tool, an Auction House, Ladder Ranking, Achievement bragging, and Duel matchmaking.  It fulfilled all of the Bartle Test  requirements for a MMO.

To my knowledge, the Bartle Test in no way establishes criteria for what makes a game a MMO.

I totally agree with the prior poster that if a slightly weaker chat system is the "biggest flaw" that clearly D3 is going to be a smash hit because most players didn't care about that at all in D2.

The Diablo series is amazingly fun, but clearly the games aren't MMOs because they don't take place in shared persistent locations.

Why waste time trying to pretend Diablo 3's an MMO?  It's more logical to point out that being a MMO is irrelevant to most gamers, who just want a fun game, and that if D3 ends up being a fun game (seems likely) then that's all that matters.

"What is truly revealing is his implication that believing something to be true is the same as it being true. [continue]" -John Oliver

• WarmakerWarmaker Member UncommonPosts: 2,246

Originally posted by Warmaker

Originally posted by Nerovipus

d3 is not an mmo

why is it on this site then?

Because somebody paid the money to put it on the site.  Trust me when I say that an non-MMORPG has received coverage and a place on this site before, and I've complained about that too.

I'll go on to say that the Diablo series is not even an MMO at all.  It's multiplayer capable, and it can be online, but it's not massive in the scale that traditional MMORPGs are with players in the game

11 million users still play Diablo II and StarCraft over Battle.net.  I realize that is not what you mean by massive in the traditional MMORPG sense.  I think D2 allowed 8 players to coop, but that is 8 out of 11 million or however many are online.

That's the thing.  Many play multiplayer games like Diablo online, but the real crutch is how many play on the same world / server?  Diablo had always been small in scale, despite many players playing.  That's why it's not even an MMO.  Hell, I can level that accusation too on alot of games today that masquerade wearing the "MMORPG" title!

It's the same reason why, despite the millions playing Call of Duty or Battlefield, those titles aren't even worthy to be considered an "MMO."

"I have only two out of my company and 20 out of some other company. We need support, but it is almost suicide to try to get it here as we are swept by machine gun fire and a constant barrage is on us. I have no one on my left and only a few on my right. I will hold." (First Lieutenant Clifton B. Cates, US Marine Corps, Soissons, 19 July 1918)

• TorgrimTorgrim Member CommonPosts: 2,088

Seriously, no way I'm buying it with the most important feature out, it already pisses me off they removed world pvp, now they remove arena pvp? LOL

Diablo 3

-Removed potions

-Removed pvp

-Added real money auction houses

-Warcraft cartoony style

Have fun.

If it's not broken, you are not innovating.

• VocadiVocadi Member UncommonPosts: 205

Originally posted by fenistil

d3 is not an mmo

Battlenet chat is what makes Diablo a MMO.  Massive Multiplayer Online Chat Room, basically an IRC client to launch a Blizzard coop game from.  The chat screen is much smaller now, and is not the default location when leaving D3.  I see this as the number one flaw of D3.

Here is a good story on it Diablo 3′s Chat Channels, Problems and Solutions.

Does not make it an MMO.

It makes it single player / co-op player game with an irc like chat.

Seems to me, SWTOR is a single player/co-op game also but yet here it sits in the MMO games list. Go figure.  

*Edit, I realise this is an extreme comparison but I coudn't resist

• nariusseldonnariusseldon Member EpicPosts: 27,775

Originally posted by Torgrim

Seriously, no way I'm buying it with the most important feature out, it already pisses me off they removed world pvp, now they remove arena pvp? LOL

Diablo 3

-Removed potions

-Removed pvp

-Warcraft cartoony style

Have fun.

Yeh I will. I don't care about pvp and i don't see a problem with a RMT AH.

• fenistilfenistil Member Posts: 3,005

Originally posted by Axehilt

To my knowledge, the Bartle Test in no way establishes criteria for what makes a game a MMO.

I totally agree with the prior poster that if a slightly weaker chat system is the "biggest flaw" that clearly D3 is going to be a smash hit because most players didn't care about that at all in D2.

The Diablo series is amazingly fun, but clearly the games aren't MMOs because they don't take place in shared persistent locations.

Why waste time trying to pretend Diablo 3's an MMO?  It's more logical to point out that being a MMO is irrelevant to most gamers, who just want a fun game, and that if D3 ends up being a fun game (seems likely) then that's all that matters.

Agreed with you Axehilt.

It does not matter if a game is an mmo or not an mmo. What matter is if player like to spend time playing it or not.

Also agree with you that it is utter nonsense and actually counter productive to force an mmo tag on D3.

I find it odd that some people are trying to do it.

• Is Diablo 3 an MMO? No.

Should it be an MMO? No.

Is it confusing there are non-MMO games on a site called mmorpg.com? Yes.

• sacredcow4sacredcow4 Member UncommonPosts: 249

Originally posted by Axxar

Is Diablo 3 an MMO? No.

Should it be an MMO? No.

/thread

I've been here a while...
  • JaedorJaedor Member UncommonPosts: 1,173

Originally posted by Torgrim

Diablo 3

-Removed potions

-Removed pvp

-Warcraft cartoony style

I never played D1 and was frankly horrified when I first started playing D2 with all the blood and gore (yes I have a great imagination lol). But if they made D3 cartoony like WoW, that will be really sad.

• ZaltarkZaltark Member UncommonPosts: 437

Originally posted by sacredcow4

Originally posted by Axxar
    Is Diablo 3 an MMO? No.
    Should it be an MMO? No.
    /thread

/thread thread.

Diablo3 is as much MMO as say World of Tanks. Which btw isnt an MMO. I daresay SWTOR, but I would be flamed (because its just as instanced as Diablo3).

• TorqiaTorqia Member UncommonPosts: 73

Im a True Diablo3 fanboi so take whatever i say with a grain of salt (or hate...)

You people hating because you cant set your stats points like you could in D2... wait what? So you miss putting all your points in vitality (besides what neeeded for exact items)or your build was broken? haha good one..

You miss having max 3-4 viable spells in a build instead of 6 (That you can even change with runes)? now you lost me completley... (My javazon used 2...)

So that RMA is bad compared to the endless bots spamming every single game you played, about all the items you can buy from there shady websites... and trust me there was so many highrunes in play 3 days after a ladder reset that you knew 85% of the playerbase had been to thoes same shit sites.  Please...

You can hate all you want because you dont like this kind of game but i you were a fan of D2 and see this as a letdown... I cant belive you played D2 recently because you guys look back on that game with rosery distorted memories...

I for one had a blast in open beta this weekend and its probaly because i still play D2 and see the difference clearly, and what an upgrade.

• PuremallacePuremallace Member Posts: 1,856

This is my issue with D3

Slippery Slope

• DoomedfoxDoomedfox Member UncommonPosts: 679

Originally posted by Torqia

Im a True Diablo3 fanboi so take whatever i say with a grain of salt (or hate...)

You people hating because you cant set your stats points like you could in D2... wait what? So you miss putting all your points in vitality (besides what neeeded for exact items)or your build was broken? haha good one..

You miss having max 3-4 viable spells in a build instead of 6 (That you can even change with runes)? now you lost me completley... (My javazon used 2...)

So that RMA is bad compared to the endless bots spamming every single game you played, about all the items you can buy from there shady websites... and trust me there was so many highrunes in play 3 days after a ladder reset that you knew 85% of the playerbase had been to thoes same shit sites.  Please...

You can hate all you want because you dont like this kind of game but i you were a fan of D2 and see this as a letdown... I cant belive you played D2 recently because you guys look back on that game with rosery distorted memories...

I for one had a blast in open beta this weekend and its probaly because i still play D2 and see the difference clearly, and what an upgrade.

Why did Blizzard take out the possibility to skill your character after your own liking?

We all know why cause the player base they target would end up with unplayable characters mindlessly skilling there classes till the point where they just couldn't win a flowerpot anymore.

I can understand that Blizzard felt the need to carebear to them and give them a helping hand after all its a game and we all should be able to enjoy it regardless of the way we play and plan our classes but why wasn't it possible to give us both lets have an autolevel  and a manual level up and all would be happy it certainly shouldn't have been hard to do so so why didn't they do it i wonder?

Your point about the RMA is laughable and its very sad that there actually are ppls who believe in that.

Blizzard doesn't stop the RMT they only ensured to get a cut of it thats all they did and ppls like yourself even fall on there knees thanking them for it.

They could have restricted all trading to an AH so the players could not go to one of the sites pay money and get an item since there would be no way to guarantee that you get the item you payed money for add to that a trade function for pt play (like you can trade whatever drops you got while being in the pt but only to pt members) and suddenly all the RMT businesses would have had a hard time but you know why they didn't do that?? Right cause they don't care about you players all they want was the cut of the RMT business.

I think thats reason enough to dislike the game i didn't like the art style at all but its just graphics so that wouldn't have stopped me from playing it i also didn't really like the classes felt like i knew (some) them from Dungeon Siege 3 but still not enough reason to not get the game but i even might have been able to ignore the skill part but as soon as the RMA was in the game i knew i could not support something that shady.The RMA is bad for gaming and if it succeeds (and sadly Blizzard does own enough mindless drones) other company's will follow and next year ill have to put my ingame currency on my tax forms as well....

• XReignsXReigns Member Posts: 23

Diablo III is not even an MMORPG,  its a single player hack and slash with rpg elements and multi-player connectivity, 5 players in a game is NOT AN MMO.  So stop calling it one people!!!

• ArChWindArChWind Member UncommonPosts: 1,340

Because Diablo 3 is basically doing and is what diablo 2 did and was a online hack and slash where the fun was to down enemy and bosses for loot to trade with others

Thats all Diablo 2 was, the small small majority played for the quest and the gameplay, but even then that wasnt diablo 2`s most rewarding feature cause a majority of the people skipped acts and quest entirely just to go to certain bosses, I dont even remember once forming a group for act 3 in its entirety and pretty much act 2.

So I dont see how D3 can fail the diablo franchise when diablo 2 wasnt even all that great itsself. Just addicting.

Couple things here that need to be cleared up.

The game is to easy so it sucks.

D3 is going to ramp up in difficulty as you advance into the game. Many have just taken the beaten path that leads form point a to point b and not gotten off to explore the game map. Some of the more difficult mobs are way off in some remote corner where you HAVE to explore to find them and they are always elites. Dungeons sometimes spawn on a piece of the map and sometimes don’t. These dungeons are ramped in difficulty with many elites and bosses. I found one outside the north gate with 2 levels and it spawned once in 5 trips through. Best loot in the game comes from remote areas and not the quest bosses.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

There are so few skills in this game it has been dumbed down.

D3 starts with few skills and widens out as you advance into the game. Skill choices don’t play the bigger role in character development anyway. Getting runes imbued into your armor and weapons play a bigger role so you can always just make new armor and weapons since crafting plays a big role now. Character customization is even more complex than D2 because you have loot, skills and crafted runes to work with.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The game is not a MMO.

Nope it is not and many that are MMOs and nothing more than Single Player Games with a chat box. I group MORE in D3 beta weekend than in 7 years with EQ2 BECAUSE I group with people that took the risk I did.

ArChWind — MMORPG.com Forums

If you are interested in making a MMO maybe visit my page to get a free open source engine.
  • wrightstufwrightstuf Member UncommonPosts: 659

A few are complaining because they dont like the game for whatever reason, but the majority are hating on the game because its the new "in" thing to do

• GrayGhost79GrayGhost79 Member UncommonPosts: 4,775

Originally posted by wrightstuf

A few are complaining because they dont like the game for whatever reason, but the majority are hating on the game because its the new "in" thing to do

You have some trying to claim that in their misguided attempt to try and defend the game.

The reality is .....

it's not because it's not an MMO

It's not that it's made by Blizzard

It's not even that it's a horrible game

It's that it doesn't warrant the $60 price tag, many of the complaints would not exist if the price were lower. Pricing it at $60 made many compare it to other $60 games. D3 doesn't hold it's own well at all in this bracket.

• ArChWindArChWind Member UncommonPosts: 1,340

Originally posted by GrayGhost79

You have some trying to claim that in their misguided attempt to try and defend the game.

The reality is .....

It's that it doesn't warrant the $60 price tag, many of the complaints would not exist if the price were lower. Pricing it at $60 made many compare it to other $60 games. D3 doesn't hold it's own well at all in this bracket.

Hummm. OK Well EQ2 cost me 20 bucks a month for game content which I pay out every month and most of the content I don't play not to mention the cost of the game and every expansion which is a total of 40+40+40+(7*12*20) Dollars over 7 year span. 60 bucks is nothing.

ArChWind — MMORPG.com Forums

If you are interested in making a MMO maybe visit my page to get a free open source engine.
  • GrayGhost79GrayGhost79 Member UncommonPosts: 4,775

Originally posted by Aori

Originally posted by GrayGhost79

The reality is .....

Yet.. millions of people will buy it at that price tag. So what about them? The complaints about price mostly originate from this forum. 

It will depend on how that "Millions" looks after you subtract all those that got it for free.......

• StarIStarI Member UncommonPosts: 987

Thats all Diablo 2 was, the small small majority played for the quest and the gameplay, but even then that wasnt diablo 2`s most rewarding feature cause a majority of the people skipped acts and quest entirely just to go to certain bosses, I dont even remember once forming a group for act 3 in its entirety and pretty much act 2.

So I dont see how D3 can fail the diablo franchise when diablo 2 wasnt even all that great itsself. Just addicting.

Internet is like heaven for complainers. All the games have people complaining and you can find complaints pretty much about anything you can think off. I wouldn't worry. D3 is an awsome game, and I'm pretty sure if it was offered back when D1 / D2 got released a huge majority would pick D3 over predecessors.